|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Older Palestinians grew up under the rule of what country or countries?
(c) Jordan and Egypt.
(d) The Ottoman Empire.
2. When does Friedman have an interview with Yasir Arafat?
(a) December, 1987.
(b) January, 1987.
(c) November, 1987.
(d) January, 1988.
3. How many times while Friedman is in Beirut do the communications go dead?
(a) A couple of times a week.
(b) Only once.
4. What is special about the West Bank and Gaza Strip lands to the Israelis?
(a) They are rich in minerals.
(b) They offer a buffer between Israel and Jordan.
(c) They have mostly Israeli people living there.
(d) They represent the lands of biblical Israel.
5. How long does Friedman spend in Lebanon and Israel?
(a) Almost 7 years.
(b) Almost 15 years.
(c) Almost 10 years.
(d) Almost 5 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Palestinians often have pictures of beaches or the Swiss mountains in their homes and businesses?
2. Where is Shimon Tsimhe's newsstand located?
3. Israel has religious significance to what three religions?
4. Who is the candidate of the Likud Party in the national election in 1984?
5. Who comes to power in Israel in 1977?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do some Jews claim that Israel is judged by different standards than other countries?
2. Why does Friedman say that his four different groups/categories can never work out what Israel stands for?
3. According to Friedman, is Israel a place to go to establish your Jewish identity?
4. Regarding the relationship between American Jews and Israel, what changes after the Six Day War?
5. When, why, and how did Friedman's wife leave Beirut?
6. How did Arafat and the PLO get involved once again in the Palestinian problem?
7. What are the two things that Friedman cites as to why the world is interested in Israel?
8. Before the Six Day War, do Palestinians comply with Israeli rules in the occupied territories?
9. Why does Friedman say that the 1967 war was both a victory and in many ways a defeat for the Israelis?
10. Again regarding the relationship between American Jews and Israel, in what ways does the Six Day War change Israel?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)