|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is the PLO formed?
2. On the way to the airport in a taxi, what event does Friedman see and ignore?
(a) A traffic accident.
(b) A protest.
(c) A parade.
(d) A kidnapping.
3. When do the Hezbollah come into existence?
4. Where is the new headquarters for the PLO?
5. What is the Green Line?
(a) A line that surrounds the city of Beirut.
(b) A line that separates Israel and Lebanon.
(c) A line that separates East and West Beirut.
(d) A line that separates North and South Beirut.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Friedman think Beirut is less important politically than psychologically as a news story?
2. Where does Friedman live in the U.S. when he first goes to the Middle East as a teenager?
3. What do the Kahan Commission investigate?
4. Who issues the correspondents their credentials they need to travel?
5. What year does the massacre at Hama occur?
Short Essay Questions
1. In September, 1982, why did the Israelis invade West Beirut?
2. Did Friedman hire a fixer?
3. Who or what was the Muslim Brotherhood and what did they want?
4. What did Friedman write in an article that upset the Marines?
5. What happens to Arafat as the result of the Israeli invasion of Lebanon?
6. At the time of Hama massacre, who/what group was in power in the Syrian government?
7. What is the Green Line?
8. What happens to Friedman's apartment in Beirut?
9. What happened at the Sabra and Shatilia refugee camps when the Israelis invaded West Beirut?
10. How did the Syrian government handle journalists during the attack on Hama?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)