|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Friedman refer to Yasir Arafat as the "teflon guerrilla"?
(a) Because nothing stuck to Arafat and no matter what, he came out on top.
(b) Because Friedman thought Arafat was sleazy.
(c) Because Arafat frequently slipped through police hands.
(d) Because Arafat could slip in and out of Lebanon without notice.
2. When does the Israeli invasion of Lebanon begin?
3. Who is Amnon Shahak?
(a) Friedman's friend.
(b) Friedman's maid.
(c) Friedman's driver.
(d) Another foreign correspondent.
4. Over time, who does Friedman learn to want to talk to for his information?
(a) The police.
(b) The other journalists' fixers.
(c) The people who work in the hotel.
(d) The people who will not accept him in their clubs.
5. Where in Hama do the journalists stay during the fighting?
(a) In the Commodore Hotel.
(b) In the police station.
(c) They moved around to avoid the main fighting.
(d) Journalists were not allowed in Hama during the fighting.
Short Answer Questions
1. Winner of the 1967 Six Day War?
2. Where do correspondents in Beirut verify their facts?
3. What is the reason the Marines first come to Beirut?
4. Who does Friedman hire as a fixer?
5. The Commodore Hotel acts as a fixer to what group of people?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the press congregate at the Commodore Hotel?
2. If you viewed Hama from Friedman's perspective of the tradition of regional units, what does Hama represent?
3. Who or what was the Muslim Brotherhood and what did they want?
4. What did Friedman write in an article that upset the Marines?
5. Why was the PLO successful when Arafat was in control?
6. What is the Green Line?
7. Why did the Marines come to Beirut in August, 1982, and how were they received?
8. What happened at the Sabra and Shatilia refugee camps when the Israelis invaded West Beirut?
9. What are three things that Friedman cites as differences between the Arabs and the Jews?
10. What was Friedman's first story about in his high school paper?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)