|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who blows up Friedman's apartment house?
(a) A Syrian.
(b) A refugee family.
(c) An Israeli.
(d) A terrorist.
2. Why is the PLO successful under Arafat?
(a) Because of Arafat's terrorist activities.
(b) Because of the personal skills of Arafat.
(c) Because Arafat was good at public relations.
(d) Because of Arafat's advisors.
3. Who does Friedman work for after graduating from Oxford?
(a) New York Times.
(b) United Press International.
(c) The Washington Post.
(d) Des Moines Register.
4. When the civil war begins, what runs through the center of Beirut?
(a) The train tracks.
(b) The main north/south highway.
(c) The Orange Line.
(d) The Green Line.
5. Friedman analyzes Hama from different perspectives. What is one of these perspectives?
(a) Tradition of loyalism.
(b) Tradition of tribes.
(c) Tradition of brotherhood.
(d) Tradition of religion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the estimate of how many people were killed during the Hama massacre?
2. In the chapter called The End of Something, where do the peace talks among the various Lebanese factions take place?
3. What are the names of the two major Israeli political parties at the time of the invasion?
4. When do the Marines finish their withdrawal from Beirut?
5. What outside group comes to the aid of the Muslim Brotherhood in Hama?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who or what was the Muslim Brotherhood and what did they want?
2. Do all Jewish leaders favor creating two states - one for Jews and one for Arabs?
3. What was Friedman's first story about in his high school paper?
4. In Chapter 1, Friedman says that the book is about his journey between two worlds. What are these two worlds?
5. What are the groups that basically form the Lebanon that wins independence from France in 1943?
6. When and why was Arafat able to take control of the PLO?
7. What happened at the Sabra and Shatilia refugee camps when the Israelis invaded West Beirut?
8. What happens to the planned peace march in 1984?
9. At the time of Hama massacre, who/what group was in power in the Syrian government?
10. What is the PLO?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)