|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do Arafat and the PLO leave Beirut?
(a) July, 1982.
(b) August, 1982.
(c) June, 1982.
(d) September, 1982.
2. When do the Hezbollah come into existence?
3. What year is the flight the Friedmans take at the beginning of the book?
4. After the PLO and Arafat leave Beirut, who is left in charge?
(a) Israelis and Phalangists.
5. In the chapter called The End of Something, where do the peace talks among the various Lebanese factions take place?
(a) Beirut, Lebanon.
(b) Washington, DC.
(c) Cairo, Egypt.
(d) Lausanne, Switzerland.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Friedman, why do Beirutis never develop a strong national government?
2. Why does Friedman refer to Yasir Arafat as the "teflon guerrilla"?
3. When Arafat takes over control of the PLO, what did he turn it into?
4. Where does the Palestine National Council meet in February, 1983?
5. Where does Friedman spend a summer studying in college?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Friedman write in an article that upset the Marines?
2. What happens to the planned peace march in 1984?
3. What two events happen immediately upon Friedman's return to Beirut in April, 1982?
4. Why did the Marines come to Beirut in August, 1982, and how were they received?
5. Did Friedman hire a fixer?
6. Friedman relates the story of driving to the airport in a taxi and ignoring a kidnapping. What does this say about life in Beirut?
7. What happened at the Sabra and Shatilia refugee camps when the Israelis invaded West Beirut?
8. What is the Hezbollah?
9. What was Friedman's first story about in his high school paper?
10. What happens to Friedman's apartment in Beirut?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)