|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who issues the correspondents their credentials they need to travel?
(a) The government in Beirut.
(b) The governments of the places where they travel.
(c) Each of the different militias.
(d) The police.
2. Where does Friedman go when the fighting begins as curfew goes into effect?
(b) His apartment.
(c) Commodore Hotel.
(d) Police station.
3. What city do both Friedman and Arafat travel to?
(a) Athens, Greece.
(b) Amman, Jordan.
(c) Damascus, Syria.
(d) Jerusalem, Israel.
4. When do the Marines leave Beirut for the first time?
(a) August, 1982.
(b) January, 1982.
(c) October, 1982.
(d) September, 1982.
5. Who epitomizes the mentality and attitude of the European Zionist?
(a) Yasir Arafat.
(b) Yacov Bar-Simantov.
(c) Menachem Begin.
(d) Ariel Sharon.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do the Marines finish their withdrawal from Beirut?
2. Who does Friedman work for after graduating from Oxford?
3. Who blows up Friedman's apartment house?
4. Who is Amnon Shahak?
5. What is the subject Friedman gets his Master's degree in at Oxford?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the PLO successful when Arafat was in control?
2. What is the Hezbollah?
3. If you viewed Hama from Friedman's perspective of the tradition of regional units, what does Hama represent?
4. Why is there support for the Israeli invasion from both political parties?
5. What policy did the PNC adopt during its meeting in Algiers in February, 1983?
6. Do all Jewish leaders favor creating two states - one for Jews and one for Arabs?
7. In Chapter 1, Friedman says that the book is about his journey between two worlds. What are these two worlds?
8. What did Friedman write in an article that upset the Marines?
9. What happened at the Sabra and Shatilia refugee camps when the Israelis invaded West Beirut?
10. Who or what was the Muslim Brotherhood and what did they want?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)