|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main color of the stained glass in Joan's childhood home?
2. Brent persuaded other parishioners that they needed a ___________________ kind of preacher.
3. What is Austin's last name?
4. Why does Karin take Austin to the lake?
5. Who is June's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would Austin have had good reasons--in his mind--to have committed suicide?
2. What is the symbolism of the red stained glass through which Joan views the world?
3. Who is Georgia, where has she traveled to at the beginning of the story, and who does she meet right away?
4. Who are June (Bugs) and Averill and what are they doing as the story begins?
5. Who is Miles and what is his relationship with Georgia?
6. Who is Matilda and what are the circumstances in which her mother is cruel to Morris?
7. What sad event does the snowstorm prompt Karin to recall and why does she take Austin to the lake to photograph the ice?
8. How does Karin think that her ex-husband, Brent, has facilitated Austin's departure from his church?
9. What is Joan's married life like and what does she learn about the relationship between Morris and Matilda?
10. Give some examples of how the author uses the theme of escape in this story.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Betrayal is an important theme in the stories. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters in the stories who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Austin Corbett in "Pictures of the Ice". What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Austin?
This section contains 1,453 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)