|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Karin's baby die of?
2. Who is the friend who Anita visits in her hometown?
3. Which man on board the ship has taken an interest in Averill?
4. Which of the following does the man on the phone NOT tell Karin?
5. Why does Anita have to have surgery?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are June (Bugs) and Averill and what are they doing as the story begins?
2. How does Joan's hometown of Logan contribute to people's needs to fit in and not be too distinctive?
3. Why would Austin have had good reasons--in his mind--to have committed suicide?
4. What story does the captain tell about two sister who once traveled on the ship?
5. Give some examples of how the author uses the theme of escape in this story.
6. What kind of world does the boat at night represent for Averill, and how does she incorporate the captain into this world?
7. Explain what Averill does every night on board the ship.
8. What did Anita learn about Margot when her mother visited her in the hospital after her appendix surgery?
9. What does this story say about uneven love in relationships, especially in the case of Maya's husband, Raymond?
10. What does Jeanine admit to Averill about her personal life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in Canada in the late-20th century when the women in the stories are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the family in Munro's stories. What does it mean for some of the characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How are some of the families fractured? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Several of Munro's stories are classic stories of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why do some of the stories fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 1,512 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)