|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the man in #157 feeling guilty about his affair with Georgia?
2. What secret does June want to hide from others?
3. Who is June's daughter?
4. In the second ending of this story, Averill ______________________.
5. What does Anita say to Reuel when she wants to get something out of him after the divorce?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the circumstances of Austin's death unclear and what speculation could occur about it?
2. Who is Georgia, where has she traveled to at the beginning of the story, and who does she meet right away?
3. What was Joan Fordyce's childhood like as explained in the first part of the story?
4. Give some examples of how the author uses the theme of escape in this story.
5. What sad event does the snowstorm prompt Karin to recall and why does she take Austin to the lake to photograph the ice?
6. What does this story say about uneven love in relationships, especially in the case of Maya's husband, Raymond?
7. In what ways is Georgia's friendship with Maya one-sided in terms of who gives more and who controls the friendship?
8. What does an older and divorced Joan learn about Matilda when she returns home to tend to her mother's grave?
9. Who is Jeanine and what is her purpose for being on the ship?
10. What lie about Austin's true plans does Karin learn and how does she react to the news?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
Several of Munro's stories are classic stories of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why do some of the stories fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Betrayal is an important theme in the stories. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,433 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)