|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Anita come to the small town where she grew up?
2. What did Karin's baby die of?
3. Why does Anita have to have surgery?
4. What does Joan learn about her brother?
5. In what field did Anita earn a PhD?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways is Georgia's friendship with Maya one-sided in terms of who gives more and who controls the friendship?
2. What does this story say about uneven love in relationships, especially in the case of Maya's husband, Raymond?
3. Who are June (Bugs) and Averill and what are they doing as the story begins?
4. Who is Matilda and what are the circumstances in which her mother is cruel to Morris?
5. How did Margot get even with Reuel after his affair with their babysitter and manage to get all the things she had ever wanted in life?
6. Who is Georgia, where has she traveled to at the beginning of the story, and who does she meet right away?
7. Explain what Averill does every night on board the ship.
8. What was the source of the falling out between Georgia and Maya, causing them to never speak again?
9. Why has Anita come to her hometown and what does she recall about her childhood and about stopping for coffee with her friend, Margot, on their way to school?
10. How does Margot keep Reuel in line now that she had spotted him with their young babysitter, Lana?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the family in Munro's stories. What does it mean for some of the characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How are some of the families fractured? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Alice Munro is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Several of Munro's stories are classic stories of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why do some of the stories fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 1,437 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)