|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who runs the business in #96?
2. Why did Teresa come to Canada to live?
3. What does Jeanine reveal to Averill at a party in Jeanine's cabin?
4. What did Karin's baby die of?
5. Why did Morris not go to dinner with Matilda a few years ago when she was interested in him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Anita learn about Margot when her mother visited her in the hospital after her appendix surgery?
2. Who is Jeanine and what is her purpose for being on the ship?
3. How does Karin think that her ex-husband, Brent, has facilitated Austin's departure from his church?
4. How does Joan's hometown of Logan contribute to people's needs to fit in and not be too distinctive?
5. How does Margot keep Reuel in line now that she had spotted him with their young babysitter, Lana?
6. Who is Georgia, where has she traveled to at the beginning of the story, and who does she meet right away?
7. Who are June (Bugs) and Averill and what are they doing as the story begins?
8. Why has Anita come to her hometown and what does she recall about her childhood and about stopping for coffee with her friend, Margot, on their way to school?
9. Who is Matilda and what are the circumstances in which her mother is cruel to Morris?
10. Explain what Averill does every night on board the ship.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the stories. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Almeda Roth in "Meneteseung". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Almeda?
Essay Topic 3
Alice Munro is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,290 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)