|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Anita and the woman in #164 have in common?
2. Why did Morris not go to dinner with Matilda a few years ago when she was interested in him?
3. What does Joan learn about her brother?
4. What did Karin's baby die of?
5. In the second ending of this story, Averill ______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Margot get even with Reuel after his affair with their babysitter and manage to get all the things she had ever wanted in life?
2. Who is Matilda and what are the circumstances in which her mother is cruel to Morris?
3. How does Joan's hometown of Logan contribute to people's needs to fit in and not be too distinctive?
4. Why are the circumstances of Austin's death unclear and what speculation could occur about it?
5. How does Margot keep Reuel in line now that she had spotted him with their young babysitter, Lana?
6. What is Joan's married life like and what does she learn about the relationship between Morris and Matilda?
7. Who is Austin Cobbett and what is a woman named Karin helping him do as the story begins?
8. Who is Jeanine and what is her purpose for being on the ship?
9. Who are June (Bugs) and Averill and what are they doing as the story begins?
10. Give some examples of how the author uses the theme of escape in this story.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the stories and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the stories. Explain what foreshadowing is, and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Hetty Pennefather in "An Old Woman and Her Cat". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Hetty?
This section contains 1,476 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)