|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom was Reuel having an affair?
2. What was the profession of the man in #157?
3. Why does Anita have to have surgery?
4. Georgia notes that there seems to be something going on between Maya and _______________.
5. Why has Anita come to the small town where she grew up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does an older and divorced Joan learn about Matilda when she returns home to tend to her mother's grave?
2. Give some examples of how the author uses the theme of escape in this story.
3. Who is Matilda and what are the circumstances in which her mother is cruel to Morris?
4. What does Jeanine admit to Averill about her personal life?
5. In what ways is Georgia's friendship with Maya one-sided in terms of who gives more and who controls the friendship?
6. Explain what Averill does every night on board the ship.
7. What kind of world does the boat at night represent for Averill, and how does she incorporate the captain into this world?
8. How does Joan's hometown of Logan contribute to people's needs to fit in and not be too distinctive?
9. Who are June (Bugs) and Averill and what are they doing as the story begins?
10. Why would Austin have had good reasons--in his mind--to have committed suicide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the overall setting for the stories in the book? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Munro choose to use these places in the stories?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in Canada in the late-20th century when the women in the stories are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the family in Munro's stories. What does it mean for some of the characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How are some of the families fractured? Give examples.
This section contains 1,570 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)