|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did Margot NOT do when she heard that Reuel was cheating on her?
2. Why was the man in #157 feeling guilty about his affair with Georgia?
3. Why does Karin take Austin to the lake?
4. What is the profession of the man in #136?
5. What happened to Averill when she flew June's body home to Canada?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways is Georgia's friendship with Maya one-sided in terms of who gives more and who controls the friendship?
2. Who is Jeanine and what is her purpose for being on the ship?
3. Who is Matilda and what are the circumstances in which her mother is cruel to Morris?
4. Why has Anita come to her hometown and what does she recall about her childhood and about stopping for coffee with her friend, Margot, on their way to school?
5. Who are June (Bugs) and Averill and what are they doing as the story begins?
6. Who is Miles and what is his relationship with Georgia?
7. Why had Teresa come to Canada and what troubles has she had in her marriage to Reuel?
8. Why are the circumstances of Austin's death unclear and what speculation could occur about it?
9. What lie about Austin's true plans does Karin learn and how does she react to the news?
10. What does an older and divorced Joan learn about Matilda when she returns home to tend to her mother's grave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters in the stories who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Austin Corbett in "Pictures of the Ice". What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Austin?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Alice Munro's writing style. How does she deliver information? How does she develop characters? What is the general tone of her stories? What is the most appealing aspect of Munro's writing for you? Explain.
This section contains 1,394 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)