|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what profession is Austin retired?
2. Who is June's daughter?
3. Who is Matilda's mother?
4. What does Averill do that surprises the captain?
5. Who are Austin's children?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Georgia meet Maya and Raymond as well as Hilda and Harvey? What secret does Georgia learn about the marriages of these two couples?
2. What sad event does the snowstorm prompt Karin to recall and why does she take Austin to the lake to photograph the ice?
3. How does Joan's hometown of Logan contribute to people's needs to fit in and not be too distinctive?
4. What is the symbolism of the red stained glass through which Joan views the world?
5. Explain what Averill does every night on board the ship.
6. What does an older and divorced Joan learn about Matilda when she returns home to tend to her mother's grave?
7. How does Karin think that her ex-husband, Brent, has facilitated Austin's departure from his church?
8. What did Anita learn about Margot when her mother visited her in the hospital after her appendix surgery?
9. In what ways is Georgia's friendship with Maya one-sided in terms of who gives more and who controls the friendship?
10. Why had Teresa come to Canada and what troubles has she had in her marriage to Reuel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the overall setting for the stories in the book? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Munro choose to use these places in the stories?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast one of Munro's characters to someone you know in your life. Which qualities do they share? What makes them so alike? Do you like the characteristics of the two? Do they have any qualities you would like to emulate? Do you respect them? How do they differ? Explain.
This section contains 1,519 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)