|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Joan's husband's profession?
2. What does Joan learn about her brother?
3. What is Lazarus House?
4. What does Jeanine reveal to Averill at a party in Jeanine's cabin?
5. What observation does Morris' bookkeeper make about Matilda?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does an older and divorced Joan learn about Matilda when she returns home to tend to her mother's grave?
2. What lie about Austin's true plans does Karin learn and how does she react to the news?
3. What does Jeanine admit to Averill about her personal life?
4. What is the symbolism of the red stained glass through which Joan views the world?
5. Explain what Averill does every night on board the ship.
6. Why has Anita come to her hometown and what does she recall about her childhood and about stopping for coffee with her friend, Margot, on their way to school?
7. How did Margot get even with Reuel after his affair with their babysitter and manage to get all the things she had ever wanted in life?
8. What was the source of the falling out between Georgia and Maya, causing them to never speak again?
9. Who is Georgia, where has she traveled to at the beginning of the story, and who does she meet right away?
10. How does Joan's hometown of Logan contribute to people's needs to fit in and not be too distinctive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Flora Grieves in "Friend of My Youth". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Flora?
Essay Topic 2
Loss seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of loss? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Hetty Pennefather in "An Old Woman and Her Cat". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Hetty?
This section contains 1,438 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)