|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what profession is Austin retired?
2. Who is Austin's fiancee?
3. When Maya has affairs now she ________________________.
4. Which of the following does Averill NOT do on deck each night?
5. Which of the following does the man on the phone NOT tell Karin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lie about Austin's true plans does Karin learn and how does she react to the news?
2. Who are June (Bugs) and Averill and what are they doing as the story begins?
3. Who is Austin Cobbett and what is a woman named Karin helping him do as the story begins?
4. Why had Teresa come to Canada and what troubles has she had in her marriage to Reuel?
5. Explain what Averill does every night on board the ship.
6. What does an older and divorced Joan learn about Matilda when she returns home to tend to her mother's grave?
7. Why has Anita come to her hometown and what does she recall about her childhood and about stopping for coffee with her friend, Margot, on their way to school?
8. What sad event does the snowstorm prompt Karin to recall and why does she take Austin to the lake to photograph the ice?
9. Why would Austin have had good reasons--in his mind--to have committed suicide?
10. What does Jeanine admit to Averill about her personal life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Alice Munro's writing style. How does she deliver information? How does she develop characters? What is the general tone of her stories? What is the most appealing aspect of Munro's writing for you? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Flora Grieves in "Friend of My Youth". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Flora?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Hetty Pennefather in "An Old Woman and Her Cat". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Hetty?
This section contains 1,337 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)