|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man in #147 take Georgia to see?
2. Brent persuaded other parishioners that they needed a ___________________ kind of preacher.
3. Why did Morris not go to dinner with Matilda a few years ago when she was interested in him?
4. Which of the following is NOT a person Karin sends the ice pictures to?
5. What secret does June want to hide from others?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Margot keep Reuel in line now that she had spotted him with their young babysitter, Lana?
2. Give some examples of how the author uses the theme of escape in this story.
3. How does Karin think that her ex-husband, Brent, has facilitated Austin's departure from his church?
4. Who is Miles and what is his relationship with Georgia?
5. Who is Georgia, where has she traveled to at the beginning of the story, and who does she meet right away?
6. What does Jeanine admit to Averill about her personal life?
7. What does an older and divorced Joan learn about Matilda when she returns home to tend to her mother's grave?
8. Why has Anita come to her hometown and what does she recall about her childhood and about stopping for coffee with her friend, Margot, on their way to school?
9. How did Margot get even with Reuel after his affair with their babysitter and manage to get all the things she had ever wanted in life?
10. What sad event does the snowstorm prompt Karin to recall and why does she take Austin to the lake to photograph the ice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast one of Munro's characters to someone you know in your life. Which qualities do they share? What makes them so alike? Do you like the characteristics of the two? Do they have any qualities you would like to emulate? Do you respect them? How do they differ? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Flora Grieves in "Friend of My Youth". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Flora?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 1,454 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)