|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Averill do that surprises the captain?
2. Who are Austin's children?
3. Jeanine has no success in seducing ____________________.
4. How old is Georgia?
5. What did the captain help one of the sisters in his story to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does the captain tell about two sister who once traveled on the ship?
2. What does an older and divorced Joan learn about Matilda when she returns home to tend to her mother's grave?
3. Why has Anita come to her hometown and what does she recall about her childhood and about stopping for coffee with her friend, Margot, on their way to school?
4. Why are the circumstances of Austin's death unclear and what speculation could occur about it?
5. Who are June (Bugs) and Averill and what are they doing as the story begins?
6. What lie about Austin's true plans does Karin learn and how does she react to the news?
7. How did Margot get even with Reuel after his affair with their babysitter and manage to get all the things she had ever wanted in life?
8. Who is Matilda and what are the circumstances in which her mother is cruel to Morris?
9. How did Georgia meet Maya and Raymond as well as Hilda and Harvey? What secret does Georgia learn about the marriages of these two couples?
10. Who is Miles and what is his relationship with Georgia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Flora Grieves in "Friend of My Youth". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Flora?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Almeda Roth in "Meneteseung". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Almeda?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 1,449 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)