|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Brent persuaded other parishioners that they needed a ___________________ kind of preacher.
2. Jeanine has no success in seducing ____________________.
3. Who was Georgia's husband?
4. What is Austin's last name?
5. Who is Matilda?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Miles and what is his relationship with Georgia?
2. Who is Georgia, where has she traveled to at the beginning of the story, and who does she meet right away?
3. What does an older and divorced Joan learn about Matilda when she returns home to tend to her mother's grave?
4. What was Joan Fordyce's childhood like as explained in the first part of the story?
5. How does Karin think that her ex-husband, Brent, has facilitated Austin's departure from his church?
6. Who is Austin Cobbett and what is a woman named Karin helping him do as the story begins?
7. Why has Anita come to her hometown and what does she recall about her childhood and about stopping for coffee with her friend, Margot, on their way to school?
8. What did Anita learn about Margot when her mother visited her in the hospital after her appendix surgery?
9. What was the source of the falling out between Georgia and Maya, causing them to never speak again?
10. In what ways is Georgia's friendship with Maya one-sided in terms of who gives more and who controls the friendship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alice Munro is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters in the stories who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 1,294 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)