|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The captain tells a story about ________________.
2. Why does Karin take Austin to the lake?
3. Who runs the business in #96?
4. The man Matilda married turned out to be a ____________________.
5. Which of the following did Margot NOT do when she heard that Reuel was cheating on her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Jeanine and what is her purpose for being on the ship?
2. What was Joan Fordyce's childhood like as explained in the first part of the story?
3. In what ways is Georgia's friendship with Maya one-sided in terms of who gives more and who controls the friendship?
4. Explain what Averill does every night on board the ship.
5. How does Karin think that her ex-husband, Brent, has facilitated Austin's departure from his church?
6. Why had Teresa come to Canada and what troubles has she had in her marriage to Reuel?
7. How does Joan's hometown of Logan contribute to people's needs to fit in and not be too distinctive?
8. What story does the captain tell about two sister who once traveled on the ship?
9. Why are the circumstances of Austin's death unclear and what speculation could occur about it?
10. Who is Miles and what is his relationship with Georgia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Flora Grieves in "Friend of My Youth". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Flora?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Almeda Roth in "Meneteseung". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Almeda?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Austin Corbett in "Pictures of the Ice". What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Austin?
This section contains 1,409 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)