|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Brenda's husband?
2. What nationality was the man in #79?
3. Brenda's lover tells her about a/an _______________ family which moved to his hometown.
4. What type of shop do Brenda and her husband now run?
5. What did the narrator's mother think of the person in #6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the affair with Neil so important to Brenda?
2. What are Brenda's conflicting feelings about the fight with Neil?
3. Who was Victor and how did he come into Murray and Barbara's life?
4. Why had Robert married Ellie instead of Flora, and how did Ellie's health deteriorate?
5. How did the generation gap separate the narrator and her mother and what conclusion does she come to regarding how well she knew her own mother?
6. What is the content of a poem told by Miss Dobie that seems to be directed at Judy?
7. Why has Hazel decided to travel to a town in Scotland and who does she meet right away when she arrives?
8. What is the premise of "Meneseteung"?
9. What awakens Almeda in the night and what does she do about the disruption?
10. What does Hazel conclude about what Dudley gives to both Judy and Antoinette?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who are two of Munro's characters in this book who appeal to you the most? What is it about these characters that you like? What are their weaknesses? How about redeeming qualities? Are Munro's characters believable in your opinion. Explain and use examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the family in Munro's stories. What does it mean for some of the characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How are some of the families fractured? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Austin Corbett in "Pictures of the Ice". What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Austin?
This section contains 1,417 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)