|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Murray and Barbara see a card written by a schoolboy?
2. Which of the following is NOT something that the narrator's mother once thought about Flora?
3. In a flashback, Murray recalls a man named ______________ who came to Murray's store looking for work clothes.
4. What does Brenda realize after her first fight with Neil?
5. The card written by the schoolboy claims that _____________________ is his favorite book.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Miss Dobie and what is her housekeeper, Judy's, reaction at seeing that Antoinette has driven Hazel instead of Dudley?
2. What are Brenda's conflicting feelings about the fight with Neil?
3. What does Murray suspect that Victor and Barbara are doing and under what circumstances does Victor leave for good?
4. What is the premise of "Meneseteung"?
5. What does Hazel conclude about what Dudley gives to both Judy and Antoinette?
6. What was the relationship between the narrator's mother, and Flora after the narrator's mother moved away to marry and start a family?
7. What does the fight between Brenda and Neil signify?
8. Who is Flora Grieves, and how did the narrator's mother know her?
9. What role does Murray's paranoia play in the story?
10. What is the theme of this story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in Canada in the late-20th century when the women in the stories are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Hetty Pennefather in "An Old Woman and Her Cat". What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Hetty?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the stories and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 1,348 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)