|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Murray meet his wife?
2. Why does Almeda not venture outside to find out about the noises?
3. In a flashback, Murray recalls a man named ______________ who came to Murray's store looking for work clothes.
4. What does Brenda realize after her first fight with Neil?
5. Who is the boyfriend of the woman in #59?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Murray suspect that Victor and Barbara are doing and under what circumstances does Victor leave for good?
2. What is the town's attitude about the poor people in town?
3. What does Neil tell Brenda about a Croatian girl named Mary who ran the family's sweet shop and how she destroyed the family's business?
4. What role does Murray's paranoia play in the story?
5. How does the story of Janette serve as a metaphor for the struggles Judy and Antoinette experience regarding Dudley?
6. What are Brenda's conflicting feelings about the fight with Neil?
7. When does it occur to Hazel that Dudley is involved with both Judy and Antoinette?
8. What is the premise of "Meneseteung"?
9. What is the content of a poem told by Miss Dobie that seems to be directed at Judy?
10. Who are Murray and Barbara, how did they meet and what type of business do they operate now?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the stories. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 2
Choose three characters from different stories and then project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for their lives. Be sure to include geography, marital status, work, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast one of Munro's characters to someone you know in your life. Which qualities do they share? What makes them so alike? Do you like the characteristics of the two? Do they have any qualities you would like to emulate? Do you respect them? How do they differ? Explain.
This section contains 1,484 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)