|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lazarus House?
(a) A rehab center.
(b) A church.
(c) A museum.
(d) A cafe.
2. Who is Jeanine?
(a) A middle-aged passenger on the ship.
(b) A singer on the ship.
(c) A waitress in a ship's cafe.
(d) A maid on the ship.
3. What secret does June want to hide from others?
(a) She is getting married.
(b) She is dying.
(c) She is staging a comeback.
(d) She is broke.
4. Who is Austin's fiancee?
(a) Sara Bigony.
(b) Sherry Bowman.
(c) Sheila Brothers.
(d) Sally Bottoms.
5. Who does Anita's mother tell Anita is having an affair with Reuel?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Austin die?
2. Why has Anita come to the small town where she grew up?
3. What is Joan's hometown?
4. Which of the following is NOT something Anita wants in her life?
5. Which couple also attended a dinner party at Maya and Raymond's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Karin think that her ex-husband, Brent, has facilitated Austin's departure from his church?
2. How does Joan's hometown of Logan contribute to people's needs to fit in and not be too distinctive?
3. What does Jeanine admit to Averill about her personal life?
4. Why are the circumstances of Austin's death unclear and what speculation could occur about it?
5. What was Joan Fordyce's childhood like as explained in the first part of the story?
6. Who is Georgia, where has she traveled to at the beginning of the story, and who does she meet right away?
7. Who are June (Bugs) and Averill and what are they doing as the story begins?
8. In what ways is Georgia's friendship with Maya one-sided in terms of who gives more and who controls the friendship?
9. Who is Matilda and what are the circumstances in which her mother is cruel to Morris?
10. Why has Anita come to her hometown and what does she recall about her childhood and about stopping for coffee with her friend, Margot, on their way to school?
This section contains 1,389 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)