|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the main color of the stained glass in Joan's childhood home?
2. The man Matilda married turned out to be a ____________________.
3. Who was Georgia's husband?
4. Who was Joan's brother?
5. How did Austin die?
(a) In a car accident.
(b) A gunshot wound.
(c) Terminal illness.
(d) In a boating accident.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job did the husband of the woman in #166 have?
2. What is a woman named Karin helping Austin to do as the story begins?
3. Who is Matilda's mother?
4. What does Joan learn about her brother?
5. Jeanine has no success in seducing ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does this story say about uneven love in relationships, especially in the case of Maya's husband, Raymond?
2. How does Margot keep Reuel in line now that she had spotted him with their young babysitter, Lana?
3. How does Karin think that her ex-husband, Brent, has facilitated Austin's departure from his church?
4. What does an older and divorced Joan learn about Matilda when she returns home to tend to her mother's grave?
5. Who is Matilda and what are the circumstances in which her mother is cruel to Morris?
6. Give some examples of how the author uses the theme of escape in this story.
7. How does Joan's hometown of Logan contribute to people's needs to fit in and not be too distinctive?
8. Why has Anita come to her hometown and what does she recall about her childhood and about stopping for coffee with her friend, Margot, on their way to school?
9. How did Margot get even with Reuel after his affair with their babysitter and manage to get all the things she had ever wanted in life?
10. What is Joan's married life like and what does she learn about the relationship between Morris and Matilda?
This section contains 1,617 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)