|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Miss Dobie recites a poem about a girl named ________________.
2. What did the narrator's mother think of the person in #6?
(a) She was selfish and uncaring.
(b) She was lazy.
(c) She was ideal.
(d) She was very efficient.
3. What does Neil eventually admit to Brenda?
(a) He is going back to his wife.
(b) He was never married.
(c) He is still married.
(d) He did take money from the sweet shop girl.
4. What kind of business does the man in #41 run?
(c) Local salt mines.
5. Who does Almeda see slumped against her fence in the morning?
(a) A child.
(b) A bum.
(c) A policeman.
(d) A woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Almeda not venture outside to find out about the noises?
2. In the poem recited by Miss Dobie, the girl's lover was taken away by ______________.
3. Why had the girl in #64 gone to live with Miss Dobie?
4. Where is Flora working now that she has left the farm?
5. What is the job of the man in #20?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the fight between Brenda and Neil signify?
2. What does Brenda realize about her relationship with Neil after their first fight regarding the sweet shop girl?
3. Who was Victor and how did he come into Murray and Barbara's life?
4. What does Neil tell Brenda about a Croatian girl named Mary who ran the family's sweet shop and how she destroyed the family's business?
5. What are some of the possible lies in the story?
6. How did the generation gap separate the narrator and her mother and what conclusion does she come to regarding how well she knew her own mother?
7. How did Flora try to mend the relationship with the narrator's mother, and what does the narrator think about how well she knew her own mother?
8. What is the theme of this story?
9. In what way does Almeda realize that she has been approaching life all wrong, and how does she see violence symbolized in her life?
10. What does Hazel conclude about what Dudley gives to both Judy and Antoinette?
This section contains 1,551 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)