|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following has NOT prompted Jarvis to want to propose marriage to Almeda?
(a) Seeing her in an agitated state.
(b) Seeing her in her nightdress.
(c) Seeing her balancing her check book.
(d) Seeing her hair in disarray.
2. What does the narrator reflect on regarding her own mother?
(a) She had potential to be someone great.
(b) She might not have known her as well as she thought.
(c) She never truly loved her.
(d) She was a saint to live with her abusive husband.
3. What kind of business does the man in #41 run?
(d) Local salt mines.
4. Where does Brenda meet with her lover?
(a) A hotel.
(b) His trailer.
(c) A friend's apartment.
(d) Her home.
5. Which of the following does NOT describe Brenda's relationship with Neil?
(a) They meet in secret.
(b) They make no demands on each other.
(c) They enjoy taking risks.
(d) They are committed to each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which modern convenience was installed in Robert's half of the farmhouse?
2. What type of shop do Brenda and her husband now run?
3. What help did Murray offer to Victor?
4. Hazel wants to visit her husband's aunt, ___________________.
5. Why do Murray and his wife drive to see a doctor?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does it occur to Hazel that Dudley is involved with both Judy and Antoinette?
2. Who is Flora Grieves, and how did the narrator's mother know her?
3. What role does Murray's paranoia play in the story?
4. How did Flora try to mend the relationship with the narrator's mother, and what does the narrator think about how well she knew her own mother?
5. What is life like for women in Almeda's town?
6. What is the premise of "Meneseteung"?
7. What is the premise of "Five Points"?
8. Who was Victor and how did he come into Murray and Barbara's life?
9. Why had Robert married Ellie instead of Flora, and how did Ellie's health deteriorate?
10. What are some of the possible lies in the story?
This section contains 1,352 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)