|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hazel thinks that it is ____________________ that makes people happy.
(b) making lots of money.
(c) striving towards something.
(d) good health.
2. In a flashback, Murray recalls a man named ______________ who came to Murray's store looking for work clothes.
3. Where do Murray and Barbara see a card written by a schoolboy?
(a) On the sand.
(b) In a book.
(c) Attached to a balloon.
(d) In a gutter.
4. What did the girl in #28 pay local boys to do?
(a) Sweep the shop.
(b) Bring customers to the shop.
(c) Have sex with her.
(d) Clean the shop windows.
5. Which of the following is NOT how the narrator thinks about Flora?
6. Brenda's lover tells her about a/an _______________ family which moved to his hometown.
7. Which of the following has NOT prompted Jarvis to want to propose marriage to Almeda?
(a) Seeing her balancing her check book.
(b) Seeing her in an agitated state.
(c) Seeing her in her nightdress.
(d) Seeing her hair in disarray.
8. Why does Flora write a letter to the narrator after a long time of no correspondence?
(a) To send condolences for Robert's death.
(b) To invite her to her wedding.
(c) To express sorrow for the narrator's mother's illness.
(d) To inform her of the birth of her first child.
9. Who was Hazel's husband?
10. What did the man in #79 do during the war?
(a) He was a reporter.
(b) He was a cook.
(c) He was an officer.
(d) He was a pilot.
11. In contrast to her lover, Brenda's husband feels as heavy as ______________________.
(a) a truck.
(b) a load of bricks.
(c) a wrecking ball.
(d) a ton of blankets.
12. What does Almeda wonder when she hears the sounds in the night?
(a) If the couple next door is having a party.
(b) If someone has been murdered.
(c) If the neighborhood bully is bashing mailboxes again.
(d) If the alley cats are getting into trash cans.
13. What type of shop do Brenda and her husband now run?
(a) Second-hand items.
(b) Interior design.
(c) Musical instruments.
14. Which of the following is NOT something that the narrator's mother once thought about Flora?
(a) She was noble.
(b) She was stoic.
(c) She was a troublemaker.
(d) She was optimistic.
15. What does Brenda realize after her first fight with Neil?
(a) She still loves her husband.
(b) She never wants to see him again.
(c) She loves him.
(d) This is the start of a deeper relationship.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert do when Ellie dies?
2. What leaves a big stain on the floor of Almeda's house?
3. How did Murray meet his wife?
4. What type of business does Murray inherit from his father?
5. What nationality was the man in #79?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)