Friend of My Youth
1. How does the narrator know Flora Grieves?
(a) She is her sister.
(b) She is her dead mother's friend.
(c) She is her neighbor.
(d) She is her mother.
2. What job did the narrator's mother have as a young woman?
3. To whom had Flora once been engaged?
4. Why did the man in #3 marry Ellie and not Flora?
(a) He got Ellie pregnant.
(b) Ellie had a bigger dowry.
(c) Flora didn't want to marry anyone.
(d) Flora didn't love him anymore.
5. With what disease is Ellie diagnosed?
(d) Congestive Heart Failure.
6. Who came to care for Ellie?
(a) A cousin.
(b) Another sister.
(c) A nurse.
(d) An old friend.
7. What did the narrator's mother think of the person in #6?
(a) She was ideal.
(b) She was selfish and uncaring.
(c) She was lazy.
(d) She was very efficient.
8. Why did the narrator's mother leave the farm?
(a) To take another teaching job.
(b) To return home to care for her parents.
(c) To move to France.
(d) To get married.
This section contains 3,927 words
(approx. 14 pages at 300 words per page)