Friend of My Youth
• The narrator reminisces about her dead mother and tells the story of her mother's old friend, Flora Grieves.
• The narrator's mother had stayed on the Grieves' farm as a young woman, teaching in the nearby schoolroom.
• The farmhouse was divided into two parts: one for Flora and the teacher, and one for Flora's younger sister, Ellie, and her husband, Robert.
• Even though Flora had once been engaged to Robert, he married Ellie out of necessity after getting her pregnant.
• Ellie's baby was stillborn and all later pregnancies were unsuccessful.
• Later Ellie was diagnosed with cancer and a nurse was brought in to care for her.
• The narrator's mother left the farm to get married and start a family.
• One day the narrator's mother received a letter from Flora explaining that Ellie had died and Robert had married the nurse, Audrey Atkinson.
• Robert and Audrey...
This section contains 3,469 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)