|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the narrator and Friedrich go?
(a) To a skating rink.
(b) To watch the tanks go by on their way to Poland.
(c) To the movies.
(d) To the swimiming pool.
2. What does Dr. Levy place beside Frau Schneider's body?
(a) A marzuka.
(b) A cross.
(c) A lit candle.
(d) A copy of the torah.
3. Who gives Friedrich an engraved fountain pen?
(a) Frau Peng.
(c) The narrator.
(d) The narrator's father.
4. What does Friedrich find when he comes back to his apartment?
(a) The narrator crying in the middle of the living room.
(b) Rats already taking over.
(c) Blood all over the floor.
(d) Herr Resch ransacking the place.
5. What do the narrator's family members hear while they are in bed?
(a) Someone praying.
(b) A song.
(c) Boot steps on the stairs.
(d) A scream.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do they open the shelter door to find?
2. What does the narrator find himself doing without thinking?
3. What does Resch pick up?
4. Where is Friedrich?
5. How does Herr Schneider earn money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in the last paragraphs of this chapter that suggests that the average non-Jewish German does know about the concentration camps and what is significant about the author including this idea?
2. What does the narrator do with the mob and why do you think he is capable of those acts when his best friend is Jewish?
3. What is ironic about the way Resch treats his garden polycarp in contrast to how he treats Friedrich?
4. Why are Friedrich and his father having uncharacteristic arguments, and why is there tension in the apartment when the narrator goes up to take the Schneiders some potatoes?
5. How does Friedrich's family celebrate his Bar Mitzvah?
6. How does the ending of the chapter then bring the readers right back into the horror of "real" life?
7. What is ironic about the prayer that Scholoime is reciting at his death?
8. What is rather ironic in this chapter and why?
9. What does this second eviction notice suggest?
10. Do you think Resch is more motivated by patriotism or greed when he turns in the Schneiders?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)