|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Resch pick up?
(a) His wounded garden dwarf, Polycarp.
(b) Some debris on his rose bush.
(c) A spade that has embedded in his rose bush.
(d) An unexploded shell.
2. Why are Friedrich and his father having uncharacteristic arguments?
(a) They are harboring a wanted rabbi in their apartment.
(b) The father wants to leave Germany and Friedrich does not.
(c) They are just going through the normal father-son dynamics.
(d) Friedrich wants them to leave Germany.
3. What do the boys do while circling the town?
(a) Wear blindfolds.
(b) Run and chant.
(c) Stop and help people clean the sidewalks.
(d) Cry out "Heil Hitler" continuously.
4. What does Friedrich find when he comes back to his apartment?
(a) Blood all over the floor.
(b) The narrator crying in the middle of the living room.
(c) Herr Resch ransacking the place.
(d) Rats already taking over.
5. What does Friedrich's father give him?
(a) A radio.
(b) A new bike.
(c) A copy of the torah.
(d) A wristwatch.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Friedrich lost?
2. Who do they hear climbing the stairs to the upstairs apartment?
3. How does the narrator's family know it is Friedrich at the door?
4. What does Schloime ask of God?
5. Who is Herr Schuster?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tell the story of Solomon.
2. What happens when Friedrich tries to get into the shelter?
3. What does Friedrich speak about and what does he ask of the narrator's family? What do you think is the reason for his request?
4. Why do you think Friedrich would want to go see a movie that espouses hatred toward Jews?
5. What is rather ironic in this chapter and why?
6. How are these chants a perversion of Jewish historical events?
7. How is the name "Vulture" an apt one for Resch?
8. Who visits the Schneiders and what happens?
9. What about this chapter shows a different side of Friedrich's life?
10. What does this second eviction notice suggest?
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)