|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Friedrich lost?
(a) His best agate marble.
(b) His bike.
(c) The tag to his clothes.
(d) His id.
2. How does Herr Schneider earn money?
(a) Polishing lamps.
(b) As a janitor.
(c) Collecting junk and selling it.
(d) Scribing for others.
3. When Friedrich tries to run out of the theater, who stops him?
(a) No one.
(b) An old usherette.
(c) The narrator.
(d) A policeman.
4. How does the narrator's family know it is Friedrich at the door?
(a) He calls to them softly.
(b) He slips a paper under the door with his name on it.
(c) He gives them the special knock signal.
(d) They do not know.
5. What does the narrator's father advise Friedrich to do?
(a) Give himself up and hope for mercy.
(b) Leave Germany if at all possible.
(c) Stay in the apartment during the air raid.
(d) Hide in the basement which is empty.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the narrator's home?
2. What does the narrator find himself doing without thinking?
3. Who are Schloime and Gitte?
4. What do the narrator's family members hear while they are in bed?
5. With whom does Friedrich nearly collide?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Jewish death ritual.
2. What is ironic about the prayer that Scholoime is reciting at his death?
3. What do you think Schneider was doing by saying, "You were right, Herr..."?
4. What is foreshadowed in the first part of this chapter?
5. What does the narrator do with the mob and why do you think he is capable of those acts when his best friend is Jewish?
6. Despite all that Friedrich has been through, what demonstrates his goodness?
7. What demonstrates the fact that the narrator's family has not completely turned its backs on the Schneiders as so many other non-Jewish Germans have?
8. What do you think Resch means when he says, "his luck that he died this way"?
9. What is rather ironic in this chapter and why?
10. What happens when a Storm Trooper takes over the physical education of the German school boys during his spare time?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)