|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When questioned as to his motives, what does the landlord reply?
(a) That it is none of Herr Schneider's business.
(b) Because the law has changed.
(c) Because the Schneiders are behind in the rent.
(d) Because the Schneiders are Jewish.
2. What does the narrator watch?
(a) The way the ice freezes on the sidewalk.
(b) The Nazis walking by the apartment.
(c) The building of a snowman.
(d) The death of a sparrow in the snow.
3. How does the narrator explain the bumping noise above?
(a) By pretending he does not hear the noise.
(b) Saying they are rats in the walls.
(c) By saying it is Friedrich.
(d) By running upstairs to tell them to be quiet.
4. What does the narrator's father do?
(a) Calls his lawyer.
(b) Refuses to be a witness.
(c) Offers to help the Schneiders move to the basement.
(d) Supports the landlord.
5. Where does the narrator take Friedrich?
(a) To club night at the Jungvolk.
(b) To the amusement park.
(c) To his soccer game.
(d) To the movies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the teacher tell the students?
2. What teacher asks his students to remain after school in his class?
3. Why does the Nazi demand that Friedrich and the narrator leave?
4. Who demands the case be dismissed?
5. What does Friedrich have for his outfit?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Friedrich's relationship with his mother contrast to that of the narrator's relationship with his mother?
2. Summarize what the teacher says about Jewish history.
3. Do you think Herr Schneider should have listened to the narrator's father about leaving Germany?
4. Explain the situation with Frau Penk and why she gives up her position with Mrs. Schneider.
5. What indications are there that Friedrich and his mother enjoy a good relationship?
6. How does the narrator describe the Jewish Sabbath dinner at Friedrich's home? What does this indicate to the reader?
7. What first appears in this chapter and what is the context?
8. What does the narrator say when Herr Schneider asks him about the Jungvolk and how does Herr Schneider respond to the narrator's reply?
9. What is the date and setting and milieu at the opening of this novel and what major characters are introduced?
10. What does this situation with Frau Penk demonstrate?
This section contains 1,235 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)