|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Schneider explain about the mezuzah?
(a) That it is a Celtic symbol of fertitlity.
(b) That it helps Jews remember God and his commandments.
(c) That it belongs to all humanity.
(d) That it is an ancient Greek symbol.
2. What image strikes the narrator?
(a) The picture of Moses on the wall.
(b) The sun touching the horizon.
(c) The brilliant white tablecloth, loaves of bread, candles, and wine glasses.
(d) A passing look of a skull imposed over Friedrich.
3. Why does the housekeeper work?
(a) She enjoys housework.
(b) She is a widow.
(c) She is bored at home and likes buying things.
(d) She has eight children to support.
4. Where is the narrator's apartment?
(a) In a small village.
(b) In London.
(c) In the Resch home.
(d) In Bonn.
5. What does the narrator's father confess?
(a) That he has turned in the Schneiders as Jews.
(b) That he is leaving Germany.
(c) That his son is going to military school.
(d) That he has joined the Nazi party.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who will no longer be allowed to attend the school?
2. About what do the children tease Mr. Rosenthal?
3. What sign is one man carrying outside Mr. Rosenthal's shop?
4. Who does Mr. Schneider meet on the landing?
5. Of what does the speaker talk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the date and setting and milieu at the opening of this novel and what major characters are introduced?
2. What are the indications that the narrator's family is not as well to do as Friedich's family?
3. How does the teacher demonstrate his sympathy for the Jews and for Friedrich in particular?
4. What is ominous about the image of Herr Schneider coming down the street and the news he brings?
5. What is the first couple of indications in this book that this story will have something to do with the persecution of the Jewish people?
6. What indications are there that Friedrich and his mother enjoy a good relationship?
7. What does this scene about the broken window portend?
8. Describe the conversation between Herr Schneider and the narrator's father about the Nazi party. Do you think the narrator's father is justified in joining the party?
9. Why do you think Friedrich says "Heil, Hitler" outside the department store?
10. What does this situation with Frau Penk demonstrate?
This section contains 1,251 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)