"Setting the Scene (1925)" | "Potato Pancakes (1929)"
• 1925: Germany is full of unemployment and hardship.
• The narrator is born one week before Friedrich Schneider.
• The two sets of parents get to know one another better after these births.
• Friedrich visits the narrator's apartment for the first time when his mother must attend to business at city hall.
• They play happily, get a bath; the narrator mother mentions Friedrich's circumcision.
• Friedrich is allowed to go out and play.
• Frau Schneider comes out to play with her son.
• The narrator watches them enjoying a snowball fight, slicking down a path for good sliding, and making a fine snowman.
• Herr Resch shrieks at Friedrich to get off his snow-covered rose bushes.
• In preparation for Grandfather's visit, the narrator's Mother scrubs the five-year-old until his hands are raw, and dresses him in his Sunday best.
• Grandfather assumes the position at the head of...
This section contains 2,127 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)