|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the woman feel the way she does at the start of "The Magic Ring"?
2. How is the chain reaction in "Panic" halted?
3. What happens to the Virus in the 3rd section of the story?
4. What does the Bacterium tell the Virus to do at the start of "Symbiosis"?
5. What happens in "Caught in Her Own Web" when a bug is caught in the web?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jean learn about Jane in "Jean and Jane" and what is significant about it?
2. In the story "The Lesson", what is the significance of the two people holding the wife down being called parents?
3. What does the line "something might evolve" at the end of "Symbiosis" mean?
4. What is the relationship between Bacterium and Virus in "Symbiosis"?
5. What document does Moses sign at the end of "Tradition" and how does he change it?
6. How does the stepmom describe Cinderella in "Cinderella: An Address Delivered to the National Association of Family Therapists by Cinderella's Stepmother"?
7. What historical figures appear in "Tradition" and what is their role in society?
8. What is the problem with making ideal humans in "Narcissus"?
9. What is the relationship between the husband and wife in "The Lesson"?
10. What are the powers of the ring in the story "The Magic Ring"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When considering Edwin Friedman's life, where do you believe he found the inspiration for his book? What does this book cause you to think about the author's life? Do you believe the author's stories demonstrate his religious background?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Ms. Muffet. Why is perfection so important to her and how does it lead to her demise? What is the moral of her story and how is her demise related to the moral?
Essay Topic 3
What are fables and what purpose do fables serve in modern society? Does Edwin Friedman recreate fables or rely on the same patterns of his predecessors?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)