|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ms. Mary Muffet in the story "Caught in Her Own Web"?
2. How are the characters identified in the second part of "Symbiosis"?
3. In the story ""The Lesson", what is the woman doing before being beaten?
4. What does Cinderella dream of?
5. Who invents a socio-political-economic philosophy theory?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the shipwrecked man uncomfortable on the island in "Attachment" ?
2. Why are the historical figures in "Tradition" worried?
3. What does the line "something might evolve" at the end of "Symbiosis" mean?
4. Why is the flower in the story "The Wallflower" constantly worried about her looks?
5. Why does the fish stop working in "Burnout"? What happens to her?
6. What document does Moses sign at the end of "Tradition" and how does he change it?
7. What is the relationship between Bacterium and Virus in "Symbiosis"?
8. What is the purpose of the screen in "Narcissus" and why does it fail?
9. How does perfection lead to Ms. Muffet's death in "Caught in Her Own Web"?
10. What is the relationship between the husband and wife in "The Lesson"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of Oedipus running home to call his mother at the end of the interlude? How does this play into the idea of prophecy?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of the silent figures that hold the woman down in "The Lesson"? Why does the author include this more serious tale in his collection?
Essay Topic 3
What is the magic ring? This is the only reference to magic in Edwin Friedman's stories. What might this example of magic say about Friedman's beliefs on magic?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)