|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What form of writing is the second part of "Symbiosis"?
2. What does the Virus think the Bacterium does not understand?
3. What do the stepmom and her daughters believe in?
4. What type of writing is the first part of "Symbiosis"?
5. What does Edwin H. Friedman claim reptiles lack in the introduction to Part 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the story "The Lesson", what is the significance of the two people holding the wife down being called parents?
2. What happens to the flower at the end of "The Wallflower"?
3. Why does the fish stop working in "Burnout"? What happens to her?
4. Why do the island inhabitants in "Attachment" decide to change their ways after the shipwrecked man leaves?
5. What is the purpose of the screen in "Narcissus" and why does it fail?
6. What does Jean learn about Jane in "Jean and Jane" and what is significant about it?
7. How does the stepmom describe Cinderella in "Cinderella: An Address Delivered to the National Association of Family Therapists by Cinderella's Stepmother"?
8. Why are the historical figures in "Tradition" worried?
9. What document does Moses sign at the end of "Tradition" and how does he change it?
10. What does the man throw away at the end of "The Magic Ring" and why is this significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of a title of your choice? Address how the title relates to the chapter and what the title might mean in the context of the book. How does the title reflect or fail to reflect the moral of the story?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of Oedipus running home to call his mother at the end of the interlude? How does this play into the idea of prophecy?
Essay Topic 3
How does Edwin Friedman address the theme of intimacy in his book? Choose two examples of examples and explain how these examples contribute to the theme of intimacy. Is this a reflection on society or the author's personal beliefs?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)