|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author suggest is the issue with communicating at the start of Part 2?
2. What is John's nervous condition?
(a) His mother beat him.
(b) His nerve endings are outside his body.
(c) He doesn't like the rain.
(d) He is afraid of taxis.
3. What happens to the plant at the end of "An American Holly"?
(a) It dies.
(b) It comes back to life.
(c) It walks away.
(d) It cries.
4. What does Edwin H. Friedman claim "real figures of speech" are based on?
5. In "Raising Cain: A Case History of the First Family", what is the conclusion of the report?
(a) Red is an angry color.
(b) Cain might kill Able.
(c) Families should not be allowed to have multiple family members in office.
(d) Parents just don't understand.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, according to Oedipus, has external knowledge buried?
2. What does the man in ""An American Holly" promise to do after he returns from a trip with his family?
3. Why are Billy's parents worried in "Projection"?
4. What happens to the moth at the end of "Round in Circles"?
5. What is "The essential question of human existence" according to Faust?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Edwin H. Friedman's relationship to his characters?
2. How is John treated by others in "Nervous Condition" and why?
3. Describe the end of "Soaring".
4. How does the doctor try to break the man's belief in "The Power of Belief"? What is the result of the attempt?
5. What advice does the moth give the fly in "Round in Circles"? Why should the moth follow his own advice?
6. How does the man in "An American Holly" treat his holly plant?
7. What is the conclusion of the report in "Raising Cain: A Case History of the First Family"?
8. What is the common moral in "An American Holly" and "The Power of Belief"?
9. Why does Billy act the way he does in "Projection" and why is he frustrated with his parents?
10. What does the line "the essential difficulty in trying to communicate with another is how to get past the interference of the resistance demons who inhabit that other" mean?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)