|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When baby bird enacts his punishment upon his parents, what happens?
(a) He flies.
(b) He cries.
(c) He dies.
(d) He injures himself.
2. What distracts the moth in ""Round in Circles"?
(a) A bright light.
(b) A closet filled with coats.
(c) A car.
(d) A human.
3. According to Faust, what is external, objective knowledge good for?
(a) Reading a map.
(b) Getting into college.
(c) Finding the truth.
(d) Writing a book.
4. In "Projection", what does Billy want to be when he grows up?
(a) A cop.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A serial killer.
5. Who is Faust?
(a) A man who sold his soul to the devil.
(b) A hunter.
(c) A poet.
(d) A carpet salesman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are most of the bird couples' children able to do in "Soaring"?
2. What does Cassandra argue is the fundamental aspect of human existence?
3. What does baby bird leave forever at the end of "Soaring"?
4. What does the author suggest is the issue with communicating at the start of Part 2?
5. What do Faust and Oedipus discuss in the Interlude?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is baby bird rebelling against his parents and how does he rebel?
2. What is the common moral in "An American Holly" and "The Power of Belief"?
3. What does Cassandra offer to the debate between Faust and Oedipus?
4. Describe the end of "Soaring".
5. What finally convinces baby bird to leave the nest?
6. How does the man in "An American Holly" treat his holly plant?
7. What does the line "the essential difficulty in trying to communicate with another is how to get past the interference of the resistance demons who inhabit that other" mean?
8. What do Faust and Oedipus debate in the Interlude?
9. How does the main character of "The Power of Belief" demonstrate the title?
10. Why does the man on the rope in "The Bridge" think the first man is being selfish?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)