|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What, according to Oedipus, is searching and understanding within the self good for?
(a) It is the way to the truth.
(b) Writing a book.
(c) Meeting girls.
(d) Writitng a poem.
2. Who, in "Nervous Condition" does John marry?
(a) A woman his mother's age.
(b) His high school sweetheart.
(c) An oversensitive woman.
(d) A mean woman.
3. What does Edwin H. Friedman claim "real figures of speech" are based on?
4. In "The Bridge" what must the man do so he won't lose a long awaited opportunity?
(b) Fight a caged lion.
(c) Act immediately.
(d) Bribe the mayor.
5. What happens to the moth at the end of "Round in Circles"?
(a) He opens the window.
(b) He dies.
(c) He saves the cat.
(d) He wins a medal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the youngest bird unable to do at the start of "Soaring"?
2. What does Cassandra believe people should do instead of seek answers?
3. How many children do the birds in "Soaring" have?
4. What happens when the doctor in "The Power of Belief" performs his test?
5. What does communication depend on in "The Failure of Syntax"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Billy act the way he does in "Projection" and why is he frustrated with his parents?
2. What does Faust argue is the best way for humans to find truth?
3. Describe the end of "Soaring".
4. Why is baby bird rebelling against his parents and how does he rebel?
5. How are the characters of Faust and Oedipus similar?
6. What does Oedipus argue is the best way for humans to find truth?
7. How is John treated by others in "Nervous Condition" and why?
8. What does the line "the essential difficulty in trying to communicate with another is how to get past the interference of the resistance demons who inhabit that other" mean?
9. How does the man's attitude in "An American Holly" change from beginning to end?
10. How does the doctor try to break the man's belief in "The Power of Belief"? What is the result of the attempt?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)