|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to John's nervous condition at the end of the story?
(a) He forgives his mother.
(b) His nerves retreat into his body.
(c) He realizes taxis are clean.
(d) He seeks therapy.
2. Who does the man encounter in "The Bridge" when he crosses the bridge?
(a) A young child.
(b) A man with a rope around his chest.
(c) His father.
(d) A woman crying.
3. What happens to the moth at the end of "Round in Circles"?
(a) He dies.
(b) He opens the window.
(c) He wins a medal.
(d) He saves the cat.
4. At the end of "Nervous Condition", how does John's wife attack him?
(a) She steps on his nerves.
(b) With words.
(c) With a bat.
(d) With a knife.
5. In what season does the holly die for the first time?
6. What does the man in ""An American Holly" promise to do after he returns from a trip with his family?
(a) Buy a new plant.
(b) Burn the plant.
(c) Buy a dog.
(d) Rip out the plant.
7. What is the man in the "The Bridge" responsible for?
(a) Getting supper on the table.
(b) Saving someone's life.
(c) Saving his business.
(d) His family.
8. How do the bird couple in "Soaring" feel about their youngest?
9. In the Interlude, what does Oedipus think will happen if people follow Cassandra's line of thinking?
(a) Myths would change.
(b) The end of the world.
(c) There would be no more war.
(d) There would be no more religion.
10. What does Billy like to cut up in "Projection"?
(a) His clothes.
(b) His homework.
(c) His steak.
(d) His toys.
11. Why are Billy's parents worried in "Projection"?
(a) His bed is unmade.
(b) They are losing their jobs.
(c) He gets F's in school
(d) His drawings are violent.
12. What does baby bird hope to do to himself by punishing his parents?
(a) Injure himself.
(c) Choke on a worm.
(d) Find a girlfriend.
13. What image do baby bird's parents want to project in "Soaring"?
(a) Harsh disciplinarians.
(b) Run down parents.
(c) Lazy workers.
(d) Good parents.
14. Who does the man in "The Power of Belief" see in order to fix him?
(a) A priest and a shrink.
(b) A vet.
(c) An exorcist.
(d) A handsome man.
15. What are the birds in "Soaring" looking forward to?
(d) Their daughter's wedding.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does communication depend on in "The Failure of Syntax"?
2. What are most of the bird couples' children able to do in "Soaring"?
3. In "The Bridge" what must the man do so he won't lose a long awaited opportunity?
4. When baby bird enacts his punishment upon his parents, what happens?
5. Who writes the report in "Raising Cain: A Case History of the First Family"?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)