|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does baby bird leave forever at the end of "Soaring"?
(a) The earth.
(b) The birdhouse.
(d) His nest.
2. What does baby bird discover one morning upon waking?
(a) He has no wings.
(b) The nest is gone.
(c) His parents are gone.
(d) He can speak!
3. What does Faust want people to look to for inspiration?
(a) The future.
(d) The mountains.
4. Who is the first family in "Raising Cain: A Case History of the First Family"?
(a) Adam, Eve, Cain, and Able.
(b) Adam and Eve.
(c) The Clinton family.
(d) The Bush family.
5. How does the moth try to help the other animal in "Round in Circles"?
(a) He tries to show a different perspective.
(b) He sounds an alarm.
(c) He holds open the window.
(d) He sings.
6. What does the author suggest is the issue with communicating at the start of Part 2?
7. When, in "Projection", do Billy's parents decide to take him to a doctor?
(a) When he refuses to eat vegetables.
(b) When he draws spilled organs.
(c) When he is expelled.
(d) When he is in a car accident.
8. What does Billy like to cut up in "Projection"?
(a) His homework.
(b) His steak.
(c) His toys.
(d) His clothes.
9. What do Faust and Oedipus discuss in the Interlude?
10. What does Cassandra believe people should do instead of seek answers?
(a) Go to war.
(b) Ask questions.
(c) Write books.
11. In "The Failure of Syntax", what does Edwin H. Friedman claim communication does not depend on?
(a) Two people.
(c) Hand gestures.
12. What image do baby bird's parents want to project in "Soaring"?
(a) Lazy workers.
(b) Harsh disciplinarians.
(c) Run down parents.
(d) Good parents.
13. What distracts the moth in ""Round in Circles"?
(a) A bright light.
(b) A car.
(c) A closet filled with coats.
(d) A human.
14. What causes John's wife to change the way she treats her husband in "Nervous Condition"?
(a) John loses his job.
(b) A cat with her kittens.
(c) John has an affair.
(d) A dog with her puppies.
15. How does the man treat his plant in the story "An American Holly"?
(a) He loves it.
(b) He hates it.
(c) He ignores it.
(d) He tries to kill it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Cassandra?
2. How does baby bird feel towards his parents in "Soaring"?
3. What does communication depend on in "The Failure of Syntax"?
4. How does baby bird decide to punish his parents?
5. What is the lamb's friends' advice at the end of ""The Friendly Forest"?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)