|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Edwin H. Friedman claim "real figures of speech" are based on?
2. How does the person the man encounters on the bridge feel the man is acting?
3. What does Faust want people to look to for inspiration?
(b) The future.
(d) The mountains.
4. What is John's nervous condition?
(a) His mother beat him.
(b) His nerve endings are outside his body.
(c) He doesn't like the rain.
(d) He is afraid of taxis.
5. Who warns the lamb about her friends' advice?
(a) A member of the forest community.
(b) The farmer.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
6. Who does the man in "The Power of Belief" see in order to fix him?
(a) A vet.
(b) An exorcist.
(c) A handsome man.
(d) A priest and a shrink.
7. How does the moth try to help the other animal in "Round in Circles"?
(a) He sounds an alarm.
(b) He holds open the window.
(c) He tries to show a different perspective.
(d) He sings.
8. What, according to Oedipus, has external knowledge buried?
(b) Acceptance of nature.
9. At the end of "Nervous Condition", how does John's wife attack him?
(a) With a knife.
(b) With a bat.
(c) With words.
(d) She steps on his nerves.
10. What, according to Oedipus, is searching and understanding within the self good for?
(a) Writing a book.
(b) It is the way to the truth.
(c) Meeting girls.
(d) Writitng a poem.
11. According to Faust, what is external, objective knowledge good for?
(a) Getting into college.
(b) Finding the truth.
(c) Reading a map.
(d) Writing a book.
12. What happens to the moth at the end of "Round in Circles"?
(a) He wins a medal.
(b) He saves the cat.
(c) He opens the window.
(d) He dies.
13. When does the man cut back the holly a second time?
14. What are most of the bird couples' children able to do in "Soaring"?
(c) Find worms.
15. In what season does the holly die for the first time?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does baby bird feel at the end of "Soaring"?
2. In "Projection", what does Billy want to be when he grows up?
3. What does the baby bird in "Soaring" want for himself?
4. What does the baby bird in "Soaring" refuse to give his parents satisfaction over?
5. How does the other animal in "Round in Circles", react to the moth's advice?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)