|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following animals stars in the story Idgie tells Smokey, which he finds so funny he laughs out loud?
2. Which of the following diseases did Evelyn's mother die from?
3. How does the price differ between black and white customers at the Cafe differ?
4. What does Stump find a can of while walking to school, thinking that it has been chucked overboard by Railroad Bill?
5. Who adopts the baby boy abandoned at the train station?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Idgie go when Ruth leaves town?
2. What happens when two young girls steal Evelyn's parking spot at the local Piggly Wiggly?
3. What scam does Biddie Otis buy into, hoping it will help cure her arthritis?
4. How does Artis feel about Birmingham, Alabama immediately upon arriving?
5. What happens when Frank returns to Whistle Stop in search of Ruth?
6. What shocking news do Cleo and Ninny receive about their son Albert when he is twenty-two months old?
7. How does Jasper Peavy know his best days are over with?
8. What happens to Vesta Adcock when she escapes from the nursing home?
9. What practical joke does Idgie play on her customers on April Fool's Day in 1933?
10. What funny story does Sipsey tell about childbirth during a meeting with the Dill Pickle's Club?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are two major train accidents at various points in the novel. Describe the first train accident in which Buddy is the victim. Then, compare and contrast that to the second train accident when Buddy Jr. was the victim. How do the responses from the townsfolk vary during the two accidents? What is the parallel between these two men's lives through their similar accidents?
Essay Topic 2
Ruth was a big part in helping Idgie cope with the sudden death of her brother, Buddy. First, describe how Idgie and Ruth came to know each other, and what their first-impressions of each other were. Then, explain how Idgie's mother, a devout Baptist, felt about Idgie's relationship with Ruth. Then, compare and contrast that opinion with the opinions of the townsfolk who continued to gossip about Idgie and Ruth well into their adulthood.
Essay Topic 3
When Ruth falls ill with cancer, it forces other characters reconsider their roles or relationship with her. Choose one character whose life changed drastically when Ruth became ill and describe that change. Then, compare and contrast that with the drastic changes another character had to undergo when Ruth became ill. Then, explain how Ruth's illness changed the town and how she became immortalized in death.
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)