|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives best describes Vest Adcock?
2. For which holiday would Idgie and her family wear paper crowns?
3. Which of the following is NOT a name of one of Big George's children?
4. What beverage does Idgie give Smokey to drink when she sees his hands shaking?
5. How does Artis sustain the injuries on his hands that are written about in the local newspaper?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Idgie go when Ruth leaves town?
2. What practical joke does Idgie play on her customers on April Fool's Day in 1933?
3. What shocking news do Cleo and Ninny receive about their son Albert when he is twenty-two months old?
4. How does Stump muster up the courage to ask Peggy out for their first date?
5. What is life like for Evelyn at the Forever Slim Lodge?
6. How does the town of Whistle Stop respond when the police arrest Idgie for Frank's murder?
7. How does Idgie help cure Naughty Bird's pneumonia?
8. How is Big George treated when he brings Buddy Jr. to the hospital after the train accident?
9. What clues does Dot Weems give as to Frank's disappearance in the newspaper?
10. What rumors start to circle through Whistle Stop about the way that Frank Bennett treats women after he marries Ruth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When she is a teenager, Ruth leaves Idgie to marry Frank Bennett. First, describe Frank Bennett and explain why Ruth might want to marry him. Then, explain how Idgie reacted to the news of Ruth's engagement. What information does Idgie gather about Frank Bennett? How did this information permanently affect the relationship between the two women?
Essay Topic 2
When Ruth falls ill with cancer, it forces other characters reconsider their roles or relationship with her. Choose one character whose life changed drastically when Ruth became ill and describe that change. Then, compare and contrast that with the drastic changes another character had to undergo when Ruth became ill. Then, explain how Ruth's illness changed the town and how she became immortalized in death.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the novel, Ninny passes away and leaves a large box of personal items for Evelyn. First, create a list of the items Ninny leaves for Evelyn in her will. Then, choose at least two of the items from the box and explain the lessons Ninny hoped Evelyn would learn from each one.
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)