|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Idgie claim Frank died?
2. Which of the following famous Bible stories does Bertha focus on at her weekly Bible study?
3. What does Idgie win in a poker game, which she takes back to Troutsville with the hope of curing Naughty Bird's sickness?
4. Who gives Buddy Jr. the nickname "Stump"?
5. Which of the following objects does Stump bring with him when he goes to see Mr. Pinto's body?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Idgie go when Ruth leaves town?
2. What are the final thoughts in Smokey Lonesome's head when he is sick in 1965?
3. What happens to Vesta Adcock when she escapes from the nursing home?
4. What argument do Evelyn and Ed get into before Easter Sunday lunch in 1986?
5. What is life like for Evelyn at the Forever Slim Lodge?
6. How does Stump learn the true identity of Railroad Bill?
7. What relationship does Stump have with Lima beans?
8. How is Big George treated when he brings Buddy Jr. to the hospital after the train accident?
9. How does Jasper Peavy know his best days are over with?
10. How does Willy Boy Peavy die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are two major train accidents at various points in the novel. Describe the first train accident in which Buddy is the victim. Then, compare and contrast that to the second train accident when Buddy Jr. was the victim. How do the responses from the townsfolk vary during the two accidents? What is the parallel between these two men's lives through their similar accidents?
Essay Topic 2
When Ruth falls ill with cancer, it forces other characters reconsider their roles or relationship with her. Choose one character whose life changed drastically when Ruth became ill and describe that change. Then, compare and contrast that with the drastic changes another character had to undergo when Ruth became ill. Then, explain how Ruth's illness changed the town and how she became immortalized in death.
Essay Topic 3
While Evelyn is visiting Ninny in the nursing home, she becomes acutely aware of the way everyone in the world is aging. First, describe Ninny's aging process and compare and contrast it to Vesta's aging process. Which of these women's process had the strongest effect on Evelyn? How can you tell? In what ways does Evelyn change her lifestyle in direct reaction to the aging she's seen in the nursing home?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)