|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kahlo had a miscarriage while she and Rivera were living in Detroit; what painting did she create during that time?
2. How did the environment around Rivera change as his mural was partly finished in Chapter 11?
3. What was Kahlo dressing like before she met Rivera?
4. Who did Kahlo meet in America who was a photographer?
5. How were Rivera and Kahlo affected by their move away from New York?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Frida feel about her new experience visiting America with Rivera in Chapter 9?
2. What were Rivera and Frida invited to New York for in Chapter 9?
3. How were Frida's paintings compared to Rivera's?
4. While at the National Preparatory School, who did Frida date that her parents disapproved of?
5. What did Frida's painting, My Dress Hangs There, symbolize?
6. How did Frida's painting change as her courtship with Rivera intensifies?
7. After leaving Detroit and returning to New York, what did Rivera begin to do?
8. What was Arias elected to in 1929?
9. What did Frida's painting, A Few Small Nips, symbolize?
10. What was so impressive about Frida being permitted to attend the National Preparatory School?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Frida Kahlo was an inspiring woman to many, from the challenges that she overcame to her amazing portraits that she created. Analyze the unique characteristics of Kahlo, examining what made her attractive to Rivera and the other people around her. How were Frida's paintings a reflection of herself? What did Frida teach those around her as she suffered through her pain? What type of personality did Frida have? Was she outgoing? What attracted Rivera to Frida?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapters 3 - 4 of Frida, a Biography of Frida Kahlo, Frida began dating Alejandro Gomez Arias, the undisputed leader of the Cachuchas. Examine the relationship between Arias and Frida, analyzing his affect on her. What attracted Frida and Arias to each other? How did their parents feel about their relationship? Who was more dominant in the relationship between Arias and Frida? Was Arias artistic like Frida? Why was their relationship significant in Frida's life?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 4, Frida was involved in a horrific bus accident that altered her life forever. She was never the same after this accident and it profoundly affected the rest of her life. Analyze the bus accident that Frida was involved in and examine its affect on Frida's life. Who was with Frida on the bus and how was that person injured? What injuries did Frida sustain from the bus accident? How optimistic were the doctors on Frida's survival? How was Frida's painting affected after the bus accident?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)