|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Kahlo's painting in Chapter 5 that depicted her feelings of paralysis and despair?
2. How did Kahlo's father begin to behave the worse-off the family's circumstances got, in Chapter 2?
3. What is the color of the house where the story of Frida Kahlo's life begins?
4. How old was Rivera when he began work at the National Preparatory School?
5. Who did Kahlo meet in America who was an important doctor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was one of the key reasons for Frida and Rivera's success in their eventual marriage?
2. Who was Leo Eloesser, and how did he help Frida?
3. What did Frida's painting, My Dress Hangs There, symbolize?
4. What was Arias elected to in 1929?
5. How were Frida's paintings compared to Rivera's?
6. How was Kahlo changed after she contracted polio when she was six-years-old?
7. Who was a member of Frida's close group of friends, the Cachuchas, and what did they do together?
8. How were Frida and Rivera married in Chapter 8?
9. How did Frida introduce herself to Rivera?
10. What did Frida do to try and gain Rivera's attention in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout Frida, a Biography of Frida Kahlo, many of her paintings were mentioned and analyzed. Study and compare the different paintings of Frida's that were highlighted throughout the biography. What painting was the most interesting? What painting was the most moving? What painting seemed to have no explanation? Which is the students favorite and least favorite? What painting is the most well-known by the public?
Essay Topic 2
Frida and Rivera's involvement with Trotsky became an important one because of his political implications. Examine Trotskyism and analyze its affect on Frida and Rivera. Who was Leon Trotsky? What was Trotskyism and how did Rivera and Frida become interested? What was Frida's relationship to Trotsky? What country was Leon Trotsky from? Why did he come to Mexico?
Essay Topic 3
While Rivera was working on his mural in New York, the environment became hostile. His mural was being called hostile because he wanted to pain the head of Lenin and balance it with the head of Abraham Lincoln. Evaluate the differences between communism and capitalism, two movements that were mentioned in the biography. What is communism? What is capitalism? What would Mexico and America be considered at that time? Why wouldn't a communist painting be appreciated in America? Why was Rivera for communism? What was Frida in support of?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)