|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gimmick does Knowles use as an ending of the story in Chapter 44?
2. After impulsively kissing Sarah, what does Charles do?
3. What decision does Charles make on his way from Exeter to Lyme?
4. Why does Charles go into the child's room?
5. What happens when Sam comes to Charles' hotel room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is tearing himself away from Sarah in the old barn the last shock of the day for Charles? Explain.
2. What effect does Charles' gift to Ernestina have on her, even after she is upset that he did not bring flowers?
3. Describe the events after Charles leaves Lyme and goes back to Exeter.
4. Why does Charles not keep his distance from Sarah in her hotel rooms?
5. What is a bigger surprise to Charles than discovering that his prostitute has a baby?
6. Explain Mr. Freeman's contradictory feelings about aristocracy.
7. What shocking revelation comes to Charles after he gets out of Sarah's bed?
8. How does Knowles discuss the reason for Sam and Mary going to the barn?
9. What transpires with Charles and his friends at the club?
10. Explain how Sarah finds life in Exeter.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about whether you would like to have lived in the Victorian era. Explain your reasons. (Hint: if there is no royalty in your family tree, you cannot choose to live during that time as a duke or duchess.)
Essay Topic 2
Think up another ending for The French Lieutenant's Woman. Knowles wrote multiple endings for the novel. There are still other possibilities. Come up with another ending and write it in three or four pages.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper stating your opinion of Charles. Was he a victim? Was he stupid? Was he a pleasant person? Could he have managed things better?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)