|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the prostitute gets into bed, Charles stares down at her and asks her name. What is her answer?
2. How does Charles proceed to break off with Ernestina and return to Sarah?
3. What does Freeman recognize about the times?
4. What new service does Charles use to try and locate Sarah?
5. Where does Sam go to work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Charles not keep his distance from Sarah in her hotel rooms?
2. What happens in the Tranter house that day?
3. Explain the significance of Sarah's only smile at Mrs. Poulteney after she questions the old lady's relationship to God.
4. Describe what Dr. Grogan gives Charles to read.
5. In reality, what does Charles do when he pulls into Exeter and it looks like it is about to rain?
6. Describe Charles' actions after leaving the Freeman mansion.
7. What effect does Charles' gift to Ernestina have on her, even after she is upset that he did not bring flowers?
8. What are the major events of the next day when Charles has returned from Exeter?
9. In the Victorian view of propriety, what step does Charles make when his train pulls into Exeter?
10. What actions does Charles take after leaving the Endicott Family Hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, there are several references to the relationship between the wealthy and their servants. The servants at Winsyatt let their true feelings about Charles come out after he is disinherited from his uncle's title. Sam grows tired of Charles' joking and his condescension. Write an essay about how servants in a household are good judges of their employer's character.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about train travel. If you have never been on a train, research what others have said about traveling on the rails. You might want to include information about some of the famous rail lines and information about the early days of train travel in the United States.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper stating your opinion of Charles. Was he a victim? Was he stupid? Was he a pleasant person? Could he have managed things better?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)