|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charles' purse provide Sarah in Exeter?
2. What does Sarah say when Charles says he must break his engagement?
3. What does Charles admit to Dr. Grogan about his feelings for Ernestina?
4. What is Charles' interest in paleontology now?
5. How does Sam try to start gossip with Mrs. Rogers at the Kensington house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Draw a relationship between the fossils Charles lookesfor and the Victorian society. Do you think Knowles uses the fossils as a metaphor for the petrified nature of the social and religious norms of that time? Explain your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Think up another ending for The French Lieutenant's Woman. Knowles wrote multiple endings for the novel. There are still other possibilities. Come up with another ending and write it in three or four pages.
Essay Topic 3
Write your opinion about how well Knowles describes people and places in The French Lieutenant's Woman. Did you get a clear picture of the people and places?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)