|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Victorian ending, what becomes of Mrs. Poulteney?
2. What does Sam tell Charles he wants two hundred and eighty pounds for?
3. Why does Charles go to see Dr. Grogan?
4. When she couldn't sleep, what does Ernestina decide to do?
5. What is in the second letter Charles opens that morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Knowles discuss the reason for Sam and Mary going to the barn?
2. Describe Charles' actions after leaving the Freeman mansion.
3. What happens in the Tranter house that day?
4. Describe what Dr. Grogan gives Charles to read.
5. Why does Sarah, the prostitute, put her clothes back on?
6. In reality, what does Charles do when he pulls into Exeter and it looks like it is about to rain?
7. In the Victorian view of propriety, what step does Charles make when his train pulls into Exeter?
8. What effect does Charles' gift to Ernestina have on her, even after she is upset that he did not bring flowers?
9. Why does Charles escape a second time to London.
10. What are the consequences of Charles' decision to break his engagement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Decide if you think Sarah was an innocent victim of her times or a calculating femme fatale. Write an essay supporting your claim and be sure to use quotes from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write a review of the entire book expressing your opinions about the style, subject matter, creativity, and general interest in the story. Your review should give reasons someone should read the book or not.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about class systems in society. Do you believe there are still such differences today? Do you believe that all men are really created equal?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)