|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Charles explain himself to Sam?
2. Where does Sam go to work?
3. How does Sam try to start gossip with Mrs. Rogers at the Kensington house?
4. What does Knowles say that the Victorians had thrown at them night and day in the same way we have sex thrown at us today?
5. When she couldn't sleep, what does Ernestina decide to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Decide if you think Sarah was an innocent victim of her times or a calculating femme fatale. Write an essay supporting your claim and be sure to use quotes from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Give your opinion about Sarah as a Victorian era feminist. Explain how she would fit into today's society much better than she did in her own time. Show how Sarah always makes the most out of the resources she has.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about train travel. If you have never been on a train, research what others have said about traveling on the rails. You might want to include information about some of the famous rail lines and information about the early days of train travel in the United States.
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)