|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ernestina come to Charles' hotel room?
2. After impulsively kissing Sarah, what does Charles do?
3. What happens after that first kiss?
4. What happens after Charles puts out the fire on Sarah's blanket when coals pop from the fireplace?
5. Why is Sarah out of the flat when the baby is crying?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Dr. Grogan gives Charles to read.
2. What happens in the Tranter house that day?
3. Explain the significance of Sarah's only smile at Mrs. Poulteney after she questions the old lady's relationship to God.
4. Describe the events after Charles leaves Lyme and goes back to Exeter.
5. After Charles cannot locate Sarah, even with private detectives, what action does he take?
6. What advice does Dr. Grogan give Charles in a letter?
7. Describe Charles' actions after leaving the Freeman mansion.
8. How does Knowles discuss the reason for Sam and Mary going to the barn?
9. What are the major events of the next day when Charles has returned from Exeter?
10. How does Charles attempt to undo the damage done by being caught with Sarah by Sam and Mary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look up information about the Dorset region of England and write about the sea coast in the area of Lyme Regis. Describe it as it is today and mention any changes in the area since the Victorian era.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about class systems in society. Do you believe there are still such differences today? Do you believe that all men are really created equal?
Essay Topic 3
Draw a relationship between the fossils Charles lookesfor and the Victorian society. Do you think Knowles uses the fossils as a metaphor for the petrified nature of the social and religious norms of that time? Explain your opinion.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)