|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Charles going to London?
2. What gimmick does Knowles use as an ending of the story in Chapter 44?
3. Why does Charles go to see Dr. Grogan?
4. What shocks Charles during his interview with Mr. Freeman?
5. Why is Sarah out of the flat when the baby is crying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the consequences of Charles' decision to break his engagement?
2. Why does Sarah, the prostitute, put her clothes back on?
3. What actions does Charles take after leaving the Endicott Family Hotel?
4. Explain Mr. Freeman's contradictory feelings about aristocracy.
5. In reality, what does Charles do when he pulls into Exeter and it looks like it is about to rain?
6. What happens in the Tranter house that day?
7. What advice does Dr. Grogan give Charles in a letter?
8. How does Charles attempt to undo the damage done by being caught with Sarah by Sam and Mary?
9. In the Victorian view of propriety, what step does Charles make when his train pulls into Exeter?
10. What is a bigger surprise to Charles than discovering that his prostitute has a baby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, Aunt Tranter's only concern about Sam and Mary is whether they truly are in love and plan to marry. Charles, however, is held him to a much higher standard of behavior. Write an essay about your feelings toward double standards.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper stating your opinion of Charles. Was he a victim? Was he stupid? Was he a pleasant person? Could he have managed things better?
Essay Topic 3
Write a review of the entire book expressing your opinions about the style, subject matter, creativity, and general interest in the story. Your review should give reasons someone should read the book or not.
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)