|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Victorian ending, what unlikely thing does Charles do?
2. What is Sarah's reaction to Charles' guilt?
3. How does Dr. Grogan rebut Charles' objection that nothing improper passed between him and Sarah?
4. What humiliation is Charles forced to undergo?
5. Where does Charles go after leaving the Freeman mansion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Sarah finds life in Exeter.
2. What effect does Charles' gift to Ernestina have on her, even after she is upset that he did not bring flowers?
3. What transpires with Charles and his friends at the club?
4. Explain Dr. Grogan's advice to Charles upon learning that Sarah is alive and expecting a visit from him.
5. What happens in the Tranter house that day?
6. Is tearing himself away from Sarah in the old barn the last shock of the day for Charles? Explain.
7. Describe what Dr. Grogan gives Charles to read.
8. What shocking revelation comes to Charles after he gets out of Sarah's bed?
9. Why does Sarah, the prostitute, put her clothes back on?
10. Explain the significance of Sarah's only smile at Mrs. Poulteney after she questions the old lady's relationship to God.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Dr. Grogan and Charles are followers of the new theoretical scientist of their day, Charles Darwin. Write an essay giving your opinion about Darwin's theory of evolution of the species.
Essay Topic 2
Decide if you think Sarah was an innocent victim of her times or a calculating femme fatale. Write an essay supporting your claim and be sure to use quotes from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Draw a relationship between the fossils Charles lookesfor and the Victorian society. Do you think Knowles uses the fossils as a metaphor for the petrified nature of the social and religious norms of that time? Explain your opinion.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)