|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after Charles puts out the fire on Sarah's blanket when coals pop from the fireplace?
2. What is in the second letter Charles opens that morning?
3. What shocks Charles during his interview with Mr. Freeman?
4. After impulsively kissing Sarah, what does Charles do?
5. Why does Ernestina come to Charles' hotel room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What actions does Charles take after leaving the Endicott Family Hotel?
2. Explain the significance of Sarah's only smile at Mrs. Poulteney after she questions the old lady's relationship to God.
3. What effect does Charles' gift to Ernestina have on her, even after she is upset that he did not bring flowers?
4. In reality, what does Charles do when he pulls into Exeter and it looks like it is about to rain?
5. How does Charles attempt to undo the damage done by being caught with Sarah by Sam and Mary?
6. Explain Dr. Grogan's advice to Charles upon learning that Sarah is alive and expecting a visit from him.
7. How does Knowles discuss the reason for Sam and Mary going to the barn?
8. In the Victorian view of propriety, what step does Charles make when his train pulls into Exeter?
9. Is tearing himself away from Sarah in the old barn the last shock of the day for Charles? Explain.
10. Why does Charles escape a second time to London.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper stating your opinion of Charles. Was he a victim? Was he stupid? Was he a pleasant person? Could he have managed things better?
Essay Topic 2
According to Knowles, sexuality is more enjoyable in the Victorian age because it is not spoken of and there is more mystery about it. Write an essay about how the Victorian gentleman, Charles, is drawn by the mysterious nature of Sarah Woodruff.
Essay Topic 3
Write your opinion about how well Knowles describes people and places in The French Lieutenant's Woman. Did you get a clear picture of the people and places?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)