|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charles decide to do?
2. After Ernestina goes back to sleep, what happens in the kitchen downstairs?
3. How does Dr. Grogan threaten Charles?
4. What does Freeman recognize about the times?
5. What does Charles attempt to do with Sarah?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sarah, the prostitute, put her clothes back on?
2. What transpires with Charles and his friends at the club?
3. What shocking revelation comes to Charles after he gets out of Sarah's bed?
4. Explain Mr. Freeman's contradictory feelings about aristocracy.
5. What actions does Charles take after leaving the Endicott Family Hotel?
6. What happens in the Tranter house that day?
7. Describe the events after Charles leaves Lyme and goes back to Exeter.
8. Explain how Sarah finds life in Exeter.
9. Explain Dr. Grogan's advice to Charles upon learning that Sarah is alive and expecting a visit from him.
10. After Charles cannot locate Sarah, even with private detectives, what action does he take?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a short story about Mrs. Poulteney in heaven. In the story she should be bossy and strict just as she was on earth. Use your imagination to let her real character show through her white robes and angel wings. Also use your imagination about what St. Peter might do with a woman like that.
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, Aunt Tranter's only concern about Sam and Mary is whether they truly are in love and plan to marry. Charles, however, is held him to a much higher standard of behavior. Write an essay about your feelings toward double standards.
Essay Topic 3
Did you find Knowles' literary gimmicks a bit confusing? Write your opinion about Knowles' bringing in the 20th century occasionally in his story, his multiple scenarios for the same scene, and putting himself into the story as different characters.
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)