|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What discovery does Charles make that hits him like a thunderbolt?
2. Why does Charles go into the child's room?
3. Where does Charles go after leaving the Freeman mansion?
4. How is Aunt Tranter affected in all of the problems?
5. After leaving the brothel, what does Charles do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Charles escape a second time to London.
2. After Charles cannot locate Sarah, even with private detectives, what action does he take?
3. What happens in the Tranter house that day?
4. What actions does Charles take after leaving the Endicott Family Hotel?
5. What transpires with Charles and his friends at the club?
6. What effect does Charles' gift to Ernestina have on her, even after she is upset that he did not bring flowers?
7. Explain Dr. Grogan's advice to Charles upon learning that Sarah is alive and expecting a visit from him.
8. In reality, what does Charles do when he pulls into Exeter and it looks like it is about to rain?
9. Is tearing himself away from Sarah in the old barn the last shock of the day for Charles? Explain.
10. How does Charles attempt to undo the damage done by being caught with Sarah by Sam and Mary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Think up another ending for The French Lieutenant's Woman. Knowles wrote multiple endings for the novel. There are still other possibilities. Come up with another ending and write it in three or four pages.
Essay Topic 2
Look up information about the Dorset region of England and write about the sea coast in the area of Lyme Regis. Describe it as it is today and mention any changes in the area since the Victorian era.
Essay Topic 3
Based on the incidents in the novel, write an essay called "Fools Rush in Where Angels Fear to Tread." Make a case for thinking out seriously before taking any action.
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)