|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dr. Grogan's recommendation for Ernestina's treatment?
2. What does Knowles say modern society has destroyed by throwing over the aura of mystery about sex?
3. What does Charles attempt to do with Sarah?
4. Why does Mrs. Endicott allow Charles to go up to Sarah's room?
5. Why does Ernestina come to Charles' hotel room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is tearing himself away from Sarah in the old barn the last shock of the day for Charles? Explain.
2. Why does Sarah, the prostitute, put her clothes back on?
3. What are the consequences of Charles' decision to break his engagement?
4. What advice does Dr. Grogan give Charles in a letter?
5. What shocking revelation comes to Charles after he gets out of Sarah's bed?
6. What actions does Charles take after leaving the Endicott Family Hotel?
7. Describe Charles' actions after leaving the Freeman mansion.
8. How does Knowles discuss the reason for Sam and Mary going to the barn?
9. Describe the events after Charles leaves Lyme and goes back to Exeter.
10. What effect does Charles' gift to Ernestina have on her, even after she is upset that he did not bring flowers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Think up another ending for The French Lieutenant's Woman. Knowles wrote multiple endings for the novel. There are still other possibilities. Come up with another ending and write it in three or four pages.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about whether you would like to have lived in the Victorian era. Explain your reasons. (Hint: if there is no royalty in your family tree, you cannot choose to live during that time as a duke or duchess.)
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper stating your opinion of Charles. Was he a victim? Was he stupid? Was he a pleasant person? Could he have managed things better?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)