|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Charles going to London?
2. What do Sam and Mary see briefly at the shed door?
3. What does Freeman recognize about the times?
4. What happens when Sam comes to Charles' hotel room?
5. What is Sarah's explanation for lying about Varguennes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Dr. Grogan's advice to Charles upon learning that Sarah is alive and expecting a visit from him.
2. How does Charles attempt to undo the damage done by being caught with Sarah by Sam and Mary?
3. Is tearing himself away from Sarah in the old barn the last shock of the day for Charles? Explain.
4. In reality, what does Charles do when he pulls into Exeter and it looks like it is about to rain?
5. Explain the significance of Sarah's only smile at Mrs. Poulteney after she questions the old lady's relationship to God.
6. What is a bigger surprise to Charles than discovering that his prostitute has a baby?
7. Why does Charles escape a second time to London.
8. In the Victorian view of propriety, what step does Charles make when his train pulls into Exeter?
9. Why does Sarah, the prostitute, put her clothes back on?
10. What are the consequences of Charles' decision to break his engagement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look up information about the Dorset region of England and write about the sea coast in the area of Lyme Regis. Describe it as it is today and mention any changes in the area since the Victorian era.
Essay Topic 2
Write your opinion about how well Knowles describes people and places in The French Lieutenant's Woman. Did you get a clear picture of the people and places?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about class systems in society. Do you believe there are still such differences today? Do you believe that all men are really created equal?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)