|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charles say to Sarah about forgiving her sin?
2. Why does Mrs. Poulteney insist Sarah stay when Mrs. Tranter calls with Charles and Ernestina in tow?
3. How do the simpering daughters of the Lady seduce Charles in order to snare him as a husband for one of them?
4. What is Knowles' description of Mrs. Poulteney's unsuccessful appeal to knowledge?
5. What shop in Lyme is somewhat famous?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Charles say to Sarah about morality?
2. Describe Charles' reaction to the expected visits with the prim Victorian ladies of Ernestina's acquaintance.
3. Why is Ernestina miffed at the flowers Charles sends her on the morning he goes to the Ware Commons?
4. What is the explanation for Mrs. Poulteney's idea that the Ware Commons evokes Sodom and Gomorrah in her mind?
5. What is Sarah's gift that makes her more intelligent than most Victorian women?
6. When a search party is formed to find the missing Sarah, how does Charles know she is still alive?
7. The morning Ernestina has a migraine, describe Charles' acting as a moth being drawn to a flame.
8. What warning does Ernestina give Mary about Sam?
9. What is the meaning of the Victorian expression, "a gooseberry?"
10. How does Sarah insist that the county is filled with women who are outcasts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about class systems in society. Do you believe there are still such differences today? Do you believe that all men are really created equal?
Essay Topic 2
Based on the incidents in the novel, write an essay called "Fools Rush in Where Angels Fear to Tread." Make a case for thinking out seriously before taking any action.
Essay Topic 3
Both Dr. Grogan and Charles are followers of the new theoretical scientist of their day, Charles Darwin. Write an essay giving your opinion about Darwin's theory of evolution of the species.
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)