|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Knowles' opinion of the way Charles is dressed for his brisk walk?
2. What is Charles' quandary over Sarah's disappearance?
3. What is Ernestina's reaction to the flowers Sam delivers from Charles?
4. What is Knowles' description of Charles as a palaeontologist?
5. What prompts Mrs. Poulteney to ask about someone to take into her service?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Knowles interject himself into the novel?
2. What is the promise Sarah extracts from Charles when they meet at the Undercliff?
3. What is the explanation for Mrs. Poulteney's idea that the Ware Commons evokes Sodom and Gomorrah in her mind?
4. Why is Mrs. Poulteney troubled by the parable of the widow's mite?
5. Sarah is described as not beautiful by any standards. What is it that captivates Charles so much when he first sees her face?
6. What is the attitude of the staff at Winsyatt castle about Charles and his uncle, Sir Robert?
7. The morning Ernestina has a migraine, describe Charles' acting as a moth being drawn to a flame.
8. What are the indications of Charles as an eligible bachelor before his engagement to Ernestina?
9. Why does Sarah suggest that she will not leave Lyme Regis?
10. What does Dr. Grogan tell Charles about trying to help Sarah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a short story about Mrs. Poulteney in heaven. In the story she should be bossy and strict just as she was on earth. Use your imagination to let her real character show through her white robes and angel wings. Also use your imagination about what St. Peter might do with a woman like that.
Essay Topic 2
Using the characters Charles, Ernestina, and Sarah, write a short-short story set in the 21st century about a broken engagement. Use the title, "Hell Hath No Fury Like a Woman Scorned." Will your story be much different from the broken engagement in The French Lieutenant's Woman?
Essay Topic 3
Write a review of the entire book expressing your opinions about the style, subject matter, creativity, and general interest in the story. Your review should give reasons someone should read the book or not.
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)