|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sam do after leaving Charles in his room at the Ship?
(a) Goes and hides out of sight across from the Endicott's Family Hotel.
(b) Goes to the kitchen and orders a large meal charged to Charles.
(c) Goes to the telegraph office to send a message to Mary.
(d) Finds himself a cheap hotel for the night.
2. Where is Charles twenty months later?
(a) In the French Foreign Legion
(b) Back in Exeter
(c) Traveling abroad
(d) In America
3. Where does Charles go after leaving Sarah?
(a) To a church
(b) To the carriage depot
(c) To his hotel room
(d) To find Sam
4. What decision does Charles make on his way from Exeter to Lyme?
(a) To collect Ernestina and return to London the next day.
(b) To fire Sam.
(c) Never to see Sarah again.
(d) Not to marry Ernestina.
5. After leaving the brothel, what does Charles do?
(a) Picks up a prostitute who resembles Sarah.
(b) Takes a carriage back to Lyme.
(c) Finds the nearest hotle and goes to sleep.
(d) Goes home alone to Kensington.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sarah suggest Mrs. Poulteney do with her severance pay?
2. What is in the letter from Dr. Grogan?
3. What do Sam and Mary see briefly at the shed door?
4. How does Dr. Grogan rebut Charles' objection that nothing improper passed between him and Sarah?
5. What does Charles admit to Dr. Grogan about his feelings for Ernestina?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Dr. Grogan give Charles in a letter?
2. What are the major events of the next day when Charles has returned from Exeter?
3. How does Knowles discuss the reason for Sam and Mary going to the barn?
4. What effect does Charles' gift to Ernestina have on her, even after she is upset that he did not bring flowers?
5. Why does Sarah, the prostitute, put her clothes back on?
6. Describe what Dr. Grogan gives Charles to read.
7. Explain the significance of Sarah's only smile at Mrs. Poulteney after she questions the old lady's relationship to God.
8. What are the consequences of Charles' decision to break his engagement?
9. Describe Charles' actions after leaving the Freeman mansion.
10. What happens in the Tranter house that day?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)