|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Charles think about the three-word message from Sarah?
(a) As an oxymoron like proud begging.
(b) As her way of saying good-bye.
(c) As a way of saying thank you.
(d) As a kind of trap and threat.
2. What is Charles' interest in paleontology now?
(a) He is excavating in Egypt.
(b) He has found a dynasaur.
(c) He has lost all interest and gives away his samples.
(d) He works at it spasmotically.
3. What does Sarah say to Charles after they discuss her lie about Varguennes?
(a) I wanted to see what it might have been like with him.
(b) You cannot marry me. Leave.
(c) I am not cut out to be a mistress so we have to marry.
(d) I will go to London and you can come to me whenever you need.
4. Where does Sarah stay in Exeter?
(a) In a shelter for the homeless
(b) In a convent
(c) In a cheap rooming house
(d) In the Endicott Family Hotel
5. What happens when Sam comes to Charles' hotel room?
(a) He agrees to go abroad with charles.
(b) He resigns as Charles' servant.
(c) He demands money from Charles.
(d) He gives Charles a black eye.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the letter from Dr. Grogan?
2. What kind of morning greets Charles as he begins his walk to meet Sarah?
3. What new service does Charles use to try and locate Sarah?
4. What is the outcome of Charles' interview with Ernestina's father, Mr. Freeman?
5. After Ernestina goes back to sleep, what happens in the kitchen downstairs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Mr. Freeman's contradictory feelings about aristocracy.
2. What actions does Charles take after leaving the Endicott Family Hotel?
3. After Charles cannot locate Sarah, even with private detectives, what action does he take?
4. Describe what Dr. Grogan gives Charles to read.
5. What shocking revelation comes to Charles after he gets out of Sarah's bed?
6. In the Victorian view of propriety, what step does Charles make when his train pulls into Exeter?
7. What transpires with Charles and his friends at the club?
8. Why does Charles not keep his distance from Sarah in her hotel rooms?
9. What effect does Charles' gift to Ernestina have on her, even after she is upset that he did not bring flowers?
10. Is tearing himself away from Sarah in the old barn the last shock of the day for Charles? Explain.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)