|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After leaving the brothel, what does Charles do?
(a) Picks up a prostitute who resembles Sarah.
(b) Goes home alone to Kensington.
(c) Takes a carriage back to Lyme.
(d) Finds the nearest hotle and goes to sleep.
2. What does Dr. Grogan suggest?
(a) That Charles insists on eloping with Ernestina at once.
(b) That he will handle the matter with Sarah and Charles must go away.
(c) That Charles see Sarah and make up his mind who he loves.
(d) That Dr. Grogan himself goes to find out what Sarah really wants.
3. Where does Sarah stay in Exeter?
(a) In a cheap rooming house
(b) In a shelter for the homeless
(c) In a convent
(d) In the Endicott Family Hotel
4. What causes Ernestina to be unable to sleep?
(a) The sounds of a thunderstorm outside.
(b) Her behavior after learning that Charles is not inheriting Winsyatt.
(c) The light flooding into her room.
(d) Her disappointment at seeing Charles so happy.
5. What does Knowles say readers should now see as obvious?
(a) That Sam and Mary had been to that barn many times before.
(b) That Sam is planning to abandon Mary.
(c) That Mary is pregnant with Sam's baby.
(d) That Sam had proposed marriage to Mary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Charles' attitude toward Sam when he returns after his night out?
2. What shocks Charles during his interview with Mr. Freeman?
3. What is in the second letter Charles opens that morning?
4. What does Dr. Grogan do in his speech to Charles?
5. What does Charles' purse provide Sarah in Exeter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Charles escape a second time to London.
2. What happens in the Tranter house that day?
3. Explain Dr. Grogan's advice to Charles upon learning that Sarah is alive and expecting a visit from him.
4. Explain the significance of Sarah's only smile at Mrs. Poulteney after she questions the old lady's relationship to God.
5. What is a bigger surprise to Charles than discovering that his prostitute has a baby?
6. How does Charles attempt to undo the damage done by being caught with Sarah by Sam and Mary?
7. What actions does Charles take after leaving the Endicott Family Hotel?
8. Explain how Sarah finds life in Exeter.
9. In the Victorian view of propriety, what step does Charles make when his train pulls into Exeter?
10. Why does Sarah, the prostitute, put her clothes back on?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)