|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Charles' interest in paleontology now?
(a) He has lost all interest and gives away his samples.
(b) He is excavating in Egypt.
(c) He has found a dynasaur.
(d) He works at it spasmotically.
2. How does Dr. Grogan rebut Charles' objection that nothing improper passed between him and Sarah?
(a) He confesses that he saw them in his telescope.
(b) He calls Charles a liar and orders him out of his house.
(c) He says Charles protests too much.
(d) He uses the catechism about wishing for a sinful act being the same as doing it.
3. Where is Charles twenty months later?
(a) In the French Foreign Legion
(b) In America
(c) Traveling abroad
(d) Back in Exeter
4. What does Knowles say modern society has destroyed by throwing over the aura of mystery about sex?
(a) The openness to talk about it
(b) The need for it
(c) The shame
(d) The pleasure
5. After the prostitute gets into bed, Charles stares down at her and asks her name. What is her answer?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Sarah out of the flat when the baby is crying?
2. What does Sarah suggest Mrs. Poulteney do with her severance pay?
3. What shocks Charles during his interview with Mr. Freeman?
4. What discovery does Charles make that hits him like a thunderbolt?
5. What does Charles decide to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Dr. Grogan gives Charles to read.
2. Why does Charles not keep his distance from Sarah in her hotel rooms?
3. How does Charles attempt to undo the damage done by being caught with Sarah by Sam and Mary?
4. Describe Charles' actions after leaving the Freeman mansion.
5. How does Knowles discuss the reason for Sam and Mary going to the barn?
6. Explain how Sarah finds life in Exeter.
7. Explain Mr. Freeman's reaction to the news that Charles will probably not fall heir to a title.
8. What are the consequences of Charles' decision to break his engagement?
9. What actions does Charles take after leaving the Endicott Family Hotel?
10. What effect does Charles' gift to Ernestina have on her, even after she is upset that he did not bring flowers?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)