|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the meeting in the secluded place, what does Sarah talk about?
(a) She talks about wanting to marry and have children.
(b) She talks about her innocence.
(c) She confesses what she did and why she did it.
(d) She talks about the hypocarcy of the people of Ryme.
2. For what is Dr. Grogan well known in Lyme?
(a) Making house calls.
(b) Supporting Mrs. Poulteney's Victorianism.
(c) Retelling stories of his experiences.
(d) Taking long walks in the country.
3. What terrible image does Mrs. Talbot have from the literature she reads?
(a) A picture of Sarah begging on the streets.
(b) A picture of Sarah dying of starvation.
(c) A picture of Sarah after jumping from a cliff.
(d) A picture of Sarah reduced to working in a house of ill repute.
4. What revelation does Sarah make to Charles about the French lieutenant?
(a) That he beat her before he left England.
(b) That he has never even written to her.
(c) That he is married.
(d) That he is the father of her child.
5. After Sarah goes to work for Mrs. Poulteney, how does she size up her employer?
(a) She learns to keep her mouth shut at all times and at all costs.
(b) She understands her and how to handle her like a skilled cardinal handles a weak pope.
(c) She sees Mrs. Poulteney as a tyrant and tries to warn the staff when she is coming.
(d) She is indifferent to Mrs. Poulteney's quirks of behavior.
Short Answer Questions
1. THE FRENCH LIEUTENANT'S WOMAN takes place in what historical era?
2. What is Sarah's position in Charmouth?
3. What news does Ernestina give Charles on his return?
4. What does Charles notice that shocks Ernestina?
5. Why is Charles thought of as an interesting young man?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conflict in Ernestina over her desire to have a husband and children.
2. What is Sarah's gift that makes her more intelligent than most Victorian women?
3. How does Mrs. Poulteney attempt to stir up trouble for Mary during the visit in her drawing room?
4. Describe the nature of the surprise Ernestina and Charles plan for Aunt Tranter.
5. What is the promise Sarah extracts from Charles when they meet at the Undercliff?
6. In Lyme, by some strata of society, Sarah Woodruff is known as the French lieutenant's whore. Ernestina has another name for her. Why and what is it?
7. Why does Sarah suggest that she will not leave Lyme Regis?
8. What saves Charles from having to explain why he has been playing with fire?
9. What does Dr. Grogan tell Charles about trying to help Sarah?
10. Sarah is described as not beautiful by any standards. What is it that captivates Charles so much when he first sees her face?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)