|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What revelation does Sarah make to Charles about the French lieutenant?
(a) That he beat her before he left England.
(b) That he is married.
(c) That he has never even written to her.
(d) That he is the father of her child.
2. What does Charles notice that shocks Ernestina?
(a) Dr. Grogan's conversational Irish reel.
(b) Aunt Tranter's flirtation with Dr. Grogan.
(c) The way Charles seems to have changed.
(d) The discussion about Sarah Woodruff.
3. What does Mrs. Poulteney insist as requisites for a companion?
(a) She must be willing to attend church every Sabbath.
(b) She must have impeccable moral character and no relatives.
(c) She must be willing to work for a pittance.
(d) She must have a higher education and good references.
4. What does Knowles say the novelist is?
(a) A deceiver because he or she seldom tells the truth.
(b) An authoritarian because he or she writes only by the rules laid down by others.
(c) A god because he or she creates.
(d) A plagerist because he or she copies from real life stories.
5. What is obvious about the size of the dowry Ernestina will bring to a marriage?
(a) The Smithson name.
(b) The absence of brothers and sisters.
(c) The expensive clothes and jewels she always wears.
(d) The size of the Smithson house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What criminal idea pops into Sam's head?
2. Why did Charles urge Ernestina to disagree with him about something?
3. Why does Mrs. Talbot decide not to rehire Sarah Woodruff?
4. What is Knowles' opinion of the way Charles is dressed for his brisk walk?
5. What does Sarah think about Christians?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ernestina miffed at the flowers Charles sends her on the morning he goes to the Ware Commons?
2. What is Sarah's gift that makes her more intelligent than most Victorian women?
3. What does Charles say to Sarah about morality?
4. Describe Charles' reaction to the expected visits with the prim Victorian ladies of Ernestina's acquaintance.
5. What is the explanation for Mrs. Poulteney's idea that the Ware Commons evokes Sodom and Gomorrah in her mind?
6. Why does Sarah suggest that she will not leave Lyme Regis?
7. Describe the nature of the surprise Ernestina and Charles plan for Aunt Tranter.
8. The morning Ernestina has a migraine, describe Charles' acting as a moth being drawn to a flame.
9. How does Sarah insist that the county is filled with women who are outcasts?
10. When Charles and Sarah meet, how does Charles explain his agreeing to come?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)