|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charles attempt to do with Sarah?
(a) Get her to pretend suicide.
(b) Get her to go to Paris with him.
(c) Help him make up a story about how he found her there.
(d) Give her money to go to Exeter and find a job.
2. What does Charles' purse provide Sarah in Exeter?
(a) A reminder of her shame
(b) A sense of indebtedness
(c) A roof over her head for one week
(d) More little luxuries than she had ever had
3. After Charles discovers that Sarah has vanished, who intrudes in his railway compartment?
(b) The author
(c) A preacher
(d) A pickpocket
4. What does Sam tell Charles he wants two hundred and eighty pounds for?
(a) To keep quiet about Sarah.
(b) So he can marry Mary.
(c) To buy a shop.
(d) To leave and find another employer.
5. Why does Charles not feel bad about his privileged class?
(a) He was raised to accept his privileged status.
(b) He is oblivious to the people around him.
(c) He thinks everyone but the beggars look happy.
(d) He is too unhappy to consider it.
6. What does Sarah suggest Mrs. Poulteney do with her severance pay?
(a) Buy an instrument of torture to use on the staff.
(b) Put it in the church collection plate.
(c) Give it to Mrs. Fairley for services rendered.
(d) Buy some rum and drink it.
7. What does Charles find inside the old shed?
(a) Sarah sleeping on some hay.
(b) Sarah's bonnet she had left behind.
(c) Sarah's clothes but no Sarah.
(d) Ernestina who had come to catch Charles.
8. What is Sarah's reaction to Charles' guilt?
(a) She calls him stupid and behind the times.
(b) She says all she wants is his happiness.
(c) She says she cannot believe he is like Mrs. Poulteney.
(d) She accuses him of being like the French Lieutenant.
9. Where is Charles twenty months later?
(a) Traveling abroad
(b) In the French Foreign Legion
(c) Back in Exeter
(d) In America
10. After Ernestina goes back to sleep, what happens in the kitchen downstairs?
(a) Aunt Tranter finds Mrs. Fairley there.
(b) Charles returns and demands his breakfast.
(c) Sam comes and leaves Mary crying at the kitchen table.
(d) The men who have been searching for Sarah are there.
11. What does Freeman recognize about the times?
(a) They are changing in a world of rapid progress.
(b) They are difficult times with so many new things coming into favor.
(c) They are politically unstable.
(d) They represent the age of overindulgence.
12. Why does Mrs. Endicott allow Charles to go up to Sarah's room?
(a) She thinks he is Sarah's brother.
(b) She thinks he is a doctor.
(c) She thinks he is Sarah's lawyer.
(d) She takes a bribe from Charles.
13. What does Sam do after leaving Charles in his room at the Ship?
(a) Goes to the telegraph office to send a message to Mary.
(b) Goes to the kitchen and orders a large meal charged to Charles.
(c) Goes and hides out of sight across from the Endicott's Family Hotel.
(d) Finds himself a cheap hotel for the night.
14. What does Dr. Grogan suggest?
(a) That Dr. Grogan himself goes to find out what Sarah really wants.
(b) That Charles insists on eloping with Ernestina at once.
(c) That he will handle the matter with Sarah and Charles must go away.
(d) That Charles see Sarah and make up his mind who he loves.
15. What does Sarah say when Charles says he must break his engagement?
(a) I never thought I would hear you say that.
(b) Does that mean you will marry me?
(c) You wouldn't be happy with that innocent girl anyway.
(d) I ask nothing of you. I am to blame.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Ernestina to be unable to sleep?
2. What document does Dr. Grogan give Charles to read?
3. What does Knowles say readers should now see as obvious?
4. What does Knowles acknowledge as the modern gentleman?
5. What new service does Charles use to try and locate Sarah?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)