|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Sarah stay in Exeter?
(a) In a convent
(b) In a shelter for the homeless
(c) In a cheap rooming house
(d) In the Endicott Family Hotel
2. Where does Charles go after leaving Sarah?
(a) To his hotel room
(b) To the carriage depot
(c) To find Sam
(d) To a church
3. What does Sarah say to Charles after they discuss her lie about Varguennes?
(a) I will go to London and you can come to me whenever you need.
(b) I wanted to see what it might have been like with him.
(c) I am not cut out to be a mistress so we have to marry.
(d) You cannot marry me. Leave.
4. In the Victorian ending, what unlikely thing does Charles do?
(a) Pays for Sam's and Mary's wedding.
(b) Tells Ernestine everything about him and Sarah.
(c) Warns Ernestine never to mention the name of Tragedy.
(d) Goes into business with Ernestine's father.
5. Who does Charles meet face-to-face as he exits the shed?
(a) The vicar
(b) Sam and Mary
(c) Mrs. Fairley
(d) Dr. Grogan
6. How does Charles proceed to break off with Ernestina and return to Sarah?
(a) He arranges for Sarah and Ernestina to meet.
(b) He leaves the country and does not tell anyone where he is.
(c) He writes Sarah a letter and goes to tell Ernestina he cannot marry her.
(d) He has Sam tell Ernestina what he knows.
7. What does Knowles explain the Victorian ending is all about?
(a) Charles' imagination of how things would end.
(b) An exercise in literary speculation.
(c) A means of explaining the Victorian mentality.
(d) Ernestina's dream the night before Charles returns to Lyme.
8. What does Sarah suggest Mrs. Poulteney do with her severance pay?
(a) Buy an instrument of torture to use on the staff.
(b) Give it to Mrs. Fairley for services rendered.
(c) Buy some rum and drink it.
(d) Put it in the church collection plate.
9. Why is Sarah out of the flat when the baby is crying?
(a) She goes to pick up her mail.
(b) She goes to buy tea for breakfast.
(c) She goes for medicine for Charles' hangover.
(d) She goes to get Charles a hansom.
10. Why does Ernestina come to Charles' hotel room?
(a) She comes for breakfast.
(b) She wants him to read her diary.
(c) She had heard that Charles is planning to leave Lyme.
(d) She wants to get him to return to Aunt Tranter's house.
11. What is Charles' interest in paleontology now?
(a) He has lost all interest and gives away his samples.
(b) He works at it spasmotically.
(c) He has found a dynasaur.
(d) He is excavating in Egypt.
12. What do Sam and Mary see briefly at the shed door?
(a) Sarah Woodruff
(b) Dr. Gorgan
(c) A dark bonnet hanging on a nail
13. What does Knowles acknowledge as the modern gentleman?
(a) The educator
(b) The politician
(c) The scientist
(d) The capitalist
14. What is in the letter from Dr. Grogan?
(a) The thought that there is no need for confession or absolution.
(b) His report that the whole community is talking about charles.
(c) A suggestion of how he can continue with Sarah in secret.
(d) Information that Sarah has left Lyme.
15. How does Charles explain his separation from Ernestina when he visits the club.
(a) He says he is on parole while she takes the Dorset waters.
(b) He says he had pressing business in London but she wanted to stay in Lyme.
(c) He says she is too busy planning the wedding.
(d) He says she is at home visiting her father and gave him the night off.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the cab deliver Charles and the prostitute?
2. What happens after that first kiss?
3. What is Mrs. Endicott's Bible?
4. How does Charles think about the three-word message from Sarah?
5. What has happened at the prostitute's house?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)