|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Charles explain himself to Sam?
(a) That he has come to tell Sarah never to bother him again.
(b) That he accidentally heard someone in the shed and went in to see who it was.
(c) That he has volunteered for the search party.
(d) That he is there on the instruction of Dr. Grogan.
2. How is Aunt Tranter affected in all of the problems?
(a) She thinks it is all for the best.
(b) She is confused and angry.
(c) She says she never trusted Charles.
(d) She wants to have the police confront Charles.
3. What metaphor does Charles use to describe his guilt of lying about Sarah?
(a) Robin Hood denouncing Maid Marian as a strumpet.
(b) Sir Galahad showing Guinevere to be a whore.
(c) Sir Lancelot casting blame on the Lady of the Lake.
(d) King Arthur lusting for Morgan Le Fey.
4. What does Freeman recognize about the times?
(a) They represent the age of overindulgence.
(b) They are difficult times with so many new things coming into favor.
(c) They are politically unstable.
(d) They are changing in a world of rapid progress.
5. How does Charles think about the three-word message from Sarah?
(a) As a kind of trap and threat.
(b) As a way of saying thank you.
(c) As an oxymoron like proud begging.
(d) As her way of saying good-bye.
6. After leaving the brothel, what does Charles do?
(a) Goes home alone to Kensington.
(b) Takes a carriage back to Lyme.
(c) Picks up a prostitute who resembles Sarah.
(d) Finds the nearest hotle and goes to sleep.
7. What is Sarah's reaction to Charles' guilt?
(a) She says she cannot believe he is like Mrs. Poulteney.
(b) She calls him stupid and behind the times.
(c) She accuses him of being like the French Lieutenant.
(d) She says all she wants is his happiness.
8. Why is Sarah out of the flat when the baby is crying?
(a) She goes for medicine for Charles' hangover.
(b) She goes to get Charles a hansom.
(c) She goes to buy tea for breakfast.
(d) She goes to pick up her mail.
9. Who does Charles meet face-to-face as he exits the shed?
(a) Sam and Mary
(b) The vicar
(c) Dr. Grogan
(d) Mrs. Fairley
10. Where is Charles twenty months later?
(a) Back in Exeter
(b) In the French Foreign Legion
(c) Traveling abroad
(d) In America
11. What kind of morning greets Charles as he begins his walk to meet Sarah?
(a) It is cold and threatening, making Charles feel as though he is walking into an icy death.
(b) It is a foggy morning that compared to the blindness Charles feels about himself.
(c) It is gray and rainy, symbolic of the gloom into which he is walking.
(d) It is beautiful and serene, leaving Charles feeling as though it were for him paradise lost.
12. What does Sarah suggest Mrs. Poulteney do with her severance pay?
(a) Buy an instrument of torture to use on the staff.
(b) Put it in the church collection plate.
(c) Buy some rum and drink it.
(d) Give it to Mrs. Fairley for services rendered.
13. What is in the letter from Dr. Grogan?
(a) Information that Sarah has left Lyme.
(b) His report that the whole community is talking about charles.
(c) The thought that there is no need for confession or absolution.
(d) A suggestion of how he can continue with Sarah in secret.
14. What does Dr. Grogan suggest?
(a) That he will handle the matter with Sarah and Charles must go away.
(b) That Charles see Sarah and make up his mind who he loves.
(c) That Charles insists on eloping with Ernestina at once.
(d) That Dr. Grogan himself goes to find out what Sarah really wants.
15. What happens when Sam comes to Charles' hotel room?
(a) He resigns as Charles' servant.
(b) He demands money from Charles.
(c) He agrees to go abroad with charles.
(d) He gives Charles a black eye.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dr. Grogan's recommendation for Ernestina's treatment?
2. Where does Charles go after leaving the Freeman mansion?
3. How does Dr. Grogan rebut Charles' objection that nothing improper passed between him and Sarah?
4. What is Charles' attitude toward Sam when he returns after his night out?
5. What is Charles' interest in paleontology now?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)