|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Victorian ending, what unlikely thing does Charles do?
(a) Pays for Sam's and Mary's wedding.
(b) Goes into business with Ernestine's father.
(c) Tells Ernestine everything about him and Sarah.
(d) Warns Ernestine never to mention the name of Tragedy.
2. Who does Charles meet face-to-face as he exits the shed?
(a) Dr. Grogan
(b) Mrs. Fairley
(c) The vicar
(d) Sam and Mary
3. What decision does Charles make on his way from Exeter to Lyme?
(a) Never to see Sarah again.
(b) To fire Sam.
(c) Not to marry Ernestina.
(d) To collect Ernestina and return to London the next day.
4. What happens after Charles puts out the fire on Sarah's blanket when coals pop from the fireplace?
(a) Mrs. Endicott runs in to see what the smell is.
(b) He jumps up to leave.
(c) They stare into each other's eyes and kiss.
(d) Sarah begins to cry.
5. What does Charles discover from Mrs. Endicott?
(a) Sarah has left the hotel and did not leave a forwarding address.
(b) Sarah has returned to Lyme.
(c) Sarah sends word that she will not see Charles.
(d) Sarah has fallen and hurt her ankle.
6. What is Charles' interest in paleontology now?
(a) He has found a dynasaur.
(b) He works at it spasmotically.
(c) He has lost all interest and gives away his samples.
(d) He is excavating in Egypt.
7. What does Sarah say to Charles after they discuss her lie about Varguennes?
(a) I am not cut out to be a mistress so we have to marry.
(b) You cannot marry me. Leave.
(c) I will go to London and you can come to me whenever you need.
(d) I wanted to see what it might have been like with him.
8. What does Charles do when Sam comes into his room the following morning?
(a) Curse Sam
(b) Order him out of his room
(c) Fire Sam
9. What causes Ernestina to be unable to sleep?
(a) The sounds of a thunderstorm outside.
(b) Her behavior after learning that Charles is not inheriting Winsyatt.
(c) The light flooding into her room.
(d) Her disappointment at seeing Charles so happy.
10. What is Dr. Grogan's recommendation for Ernestina's treatment?
(a) Take her on a trip abroad.
(b) Send for her father.
(c) Humor her in whatever she wants to do.
(d) Send her to Bedlam.
11. To what animal does Charles compare himself at the time?
(a) A pampered Pekinese dependant on his future father-in-law.
(b) A serpent that devours everyone around him.
(c) A feral cat who must make his way by stealth and cunning.
(d) The hedgehog who curls up in a ball and erects its spines of aristocracy.
12. What does Knowles say that the Victorians had thrown at them night and day in the same way we have sex thrown at us today?
13. Why does Charles not feel bad about his privileged class?
(a) He is oblivious to the people around him.
(b) He thinks everyone but the beggars look happy.
(c) He is too unhappy to consider it.
(d) He was raised to accept his privileged status.
14. What is in the letter from Dr. Grogan?
(a) His report that the whole community is talking about charles.
(b) Information that Sarah has left Lyme.
(c) The thought that there is no need for confession or absolution.
(d) A suggestion of how he can continue with Sarah in secret.
15. What does Knowles explain the Victorian ending is all about?
(a) An exercise in literary speculation.
(b) Ernestina's dream the night before Charles returns to Lyme.
(c) Charles' imagination of how things would end.
(d) A means of explaining the Victorian mentality.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the cab deliver Charles and the prostitute?
2. What does Sam do after leaving Charles in his room at the Ship?
3. What happens after that first kiss?
4. What document does Dr. Grogan give Charles to read?
5. What does Charles observe about American women?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)