|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens after Charles puts out the fire on Sarah's blanket when coals pop from the fireplace?
(a) They stare into each other's eyes and kiss.
(b) Sarah begins to cry.
(c) He jumps up to leave.
(d) Mrs. Endicott runs in to see what the smell is.
2. Where does Sam go to work?
(a) At Sir Robert's estate
(b) For the Duke of Windsor
(c) In the Whie Lion Inn
(d) In Mr. Freeman's store
3. Why is Sarah out of the flat when the baby is crying?
(a) She goes to pick up her mail.
(b) She goes to buy tea for breakfast.
(c) She goes for medicine for Charles' hangover.
(d) She goes to get Charles a hansom.
4. What does Sarah say when Charles says he must break his engagement?
(a) You wouldn't be happy with that innocent girl anyway.
(b) I never thought I would hear you say that.
(c) I ask nothing of you. I am to blame.
(d) Does that mean you will marry me?
5. What is the outcome of Charles' interview with Ernestina's father, Mr. Freeman?
(a) Mr. Freeman increases Ernestina's dowry.
(b) Mr. Freeman does not object to Charles' change in fortune.
(c) He withdraws his offer of Ernestina's hand in marriage.
(d) Charles cannot bring himself to tell the truth.
6. What happens after that first kiss?
(a) Charles removes Sarah's shawl and night gown.
(b) Sarah asks him to carry her to her bed before he leaves.
(c) Charles panics and runs out of her room.
(d) Overcome with passion, Charles tears off his clothes and makes love to her.
7. What does Knowles say that the Victorians had thrown at them night and day in the same way we have sex thrown at us today?
8. What does Charles admit to Dr. Grogan about his feelings for Ernestina?
(a) That his only interest in her is her dowry.
(b) That she understands very little of what he is.
(c) That he was sure it would take years for Ernestina to understand him.
(d) That the attraction has worn off and he feels trapped.
9. Where does the cab deliver Charles and the prostitute?
(a) At a bordello
(b) At a cheap hotel
(c) At Chrale's Kensington home
(d) At her flat
10. How does Charles think about the three-word message from Sarah?
(a) As an oxymoron like proud begging.
(b) As her way of saying good-bye.
(c) As a kind of trap and threat.
(d) As a way of saying thank you.
11. Why does Charles go to see Dr. Grogan?
(a) He needs advice after receiving a note from Sarah.
(b) He wants sleeping powder for Ernestina.
(c) He needs advice about what to say to Sarah when they meet.
(d) He suspects Dr. Grogan saw him with Sarah through his telescope.
12. Why does Charles go into the child's room?
(a) He thinks he hears the girl strangling.
(b) She is crying and a male neighbor is banging on the wall.
(c) He suddenly feels very paternal.
(d) He is curious to see if there really is a child.
13. What does Charles decide to do?
(a) Send Sam to look for Sarah.
(b) Go back and tell Dr. Grogan the whole truth.
(c) Go out and look for Sarah himself.
(d) Open a bottle of brandy and get drunk.
14. What does Charles observe about American women?
(a) He considers them too pristine.
(b) He sees a shadow of Sarah in each of them.
(c) He sees them as no different from women in England.
(d) He thinks that they have no sense of style.
15. What is Sarah's reaction to Charles' guilt?
(a) She calls him stupid and behind the times.
(b) She says all she wants is his happiness.
(c) She accuses him of being like the French Lieutenant.
(d) She says she cannot believe he is like Mrs. Poulteney.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charles find inside the old shed?
2. What gimmick does Knowles use as an ending of the story in Chapter 44?
3. Why does Ernestina come to Charles' hotel room?
4. Why does Mrs. Endicott allow Charles to go up to Sarah's room?
5. What does Sam do after leaving Charles in his room at the Ship?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)