|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Victorian ending, what becomes of Mrs. Poulteney?
(a) She runs away with the vicar.
(b) She tries to enter heaven and is cast into the realm below.
(c) She becomes blind and her servants steal everything from her.
(d) She has a change of heart and becomes kind to her servants.
2. What is in the second letter Charles opens that morning?
(a) An apology
(b) A blackmail message
(c) An address
(d) A bill
3. What does Charles admit to Dr. Grogan about his feelings for Ernestina?
(a) That she understands very little of what he is.
(b) That his only interest in her is her dowry.
(c) That he was sure it would take years for Ernestina to understand him.
(d) That the attraction has worn off and he feels trapped.
4. What does Freeman recognize about the times?
(a) They are difficult times with so many new things coming into favor.
(b) They are changing in a world of rapid progress.
(c) They are politically unstable.
(d) They represent the age of overindulgence.
5. How does Sam try to start gossip with Mrs. Rogers at the Kensington house?
(a) By asking questions of Mrs. Rogers
(b) By name dropping
(c) By hinting there are many other things afoot in Charles' life
(d) By leaving letters and telegrams lying around
6. What does Sam tell Charles he wants two hundred and eighty pounds for?
(a) So he can marry Mary.
(b) To leave and find another employer.
(c) To buy a shop.
(d) To keep quiet about Sarah.
7. How does Dr. Grogan threaten Charles?
(a) That he will help Ernestina sue for breach of promise and see charles ruined.
(b) That he will tell everyone what Charles has done if he doesn't leave Lyme.
(c) That he will sign the papers sending Charles to the insane assylum.
(d) That if he does not leave within the hour he will return with the largest horse whip he can find.
8. What is Charles' attitude toward Sam when he returns after his night out?
(a) He tells Sam to take that insolent look off his face.
(b) He regards Sam as a real friend unlike his friends at the club.
(c) He warns Sam about being too nosey.
(d) He thanks Sam for helping him escape being seen by Mrs. Rogers.
9. What is the outcome of Charles' interview with Ernestina's father, Mr. Freeman?
(a) He withdraws his offer of Ernestina's hand in marriage.
(b) Charles cannot bring himself to tell the truth.
(c) Mr. Freeman increases Ernestina's dowry.
(d) Mr. Freeman does not object to Charles' change in fortune.
10. Where is Charles twenty months later?
(a) Traveling abroad
(b) In the French Foreign Legion
(c) Back in Exeter
(d) In America
11. What does Sarah say to Charles after they discuss her lie about Varguennes?
(a) I will go to London and you can come to me whenever you need.
(b) You cannot marry me. Leave.
(c) I am not cut out to be a mistress so we have to marry.
(d) I wanted to see what it might have been like with him.
12. Where does Charles go after leaving Sarah?
(a) To his hotel room
(b) To the carriage depot
(c) To a church
(d) To find Sam
13. What is Sarah's explanation for lying about Varguennes?
(a) That when she went to him she saw him with a prostitute.
(b) That she had not lied but had not tried to stop the rumors.
(c) That she wanted to kill herself.
(d) That she hated all men for a time after he left.
14. What kind of morning greets Charles as he begins his walk to meet Sarah?
(a) It is beautiful and serene, leaving Charles feeling as though it were for him paradise lost.
(b) It is gray and rainy, symbolic of the gloom into which he is walking.
(c) It is a foggy morning that compared to the blindness Charles feels about himself.
(d) It is cold and threatening, making Charles feel as though he is walking into an icy death.
15. What decision does Charles make on his way from Exeter to Lyme?
(a) To fire Sam.
(b) To collect Ernestina and return to London the next day.
(c) Not to marry Ernestina.
(d) Never to see Sarah again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sarah's reaction to Charles' guilt?
2. What does Sam do after leaving Charles in his room at the Ship?
3. What shocks Charles during his interview with Mr. Freeman?
4. Why does Charles go into the child's room?
5. What does Charles discover from Mrs. Endicott?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)