|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the prostitute gets into bed, Charles stares down at her and asks her name. What is her answer?
2. What does Knowles say readers should now see as obvious?
(a) That Mary is pregnant with Sam's baby.
(b) That Sam and Mary had been to that barn many times before.
(c) That Sam is planning to abandon Mary.
(d) That Sam had proposed marriage to Mary.
3. What does Freeman recognize about the times?
(a) They are politically unstable.
(b) They are changing in a world of rapid progress.
(c) They are difficult times with so many new things coming into favor.
(d) They represent the age of overindulgence.
4. In the Victorian ending, what becomes of Mrs. Poulteney?
(a) She becomes blind and her servants steal everything from her.
(b) She runs away with the vicar.
(c) She has a change of heart and becomes kind to her servants.
(d) She tries to enter heaven and is cast into the realm below.
5. What does Charles discover from Mrs. Endicott?
(a) Sarah has fallen and hurt her ankle.
(b) Sarah has left the hotel and did not leave a forwarding address.
(c) Sarah has returned to Lyme.
(d) Sarah sends word that she will not see Charles.
6. Why does Charles go into the child's room?
(a) He thinks he hears the girl strangling.
(b) He is curious to see if there really is a child.
(c) She is crying and a male neighbor is banging on the wall.
(d) He suddenly feels very paternal.
7. After leaving the brothel, what does Charles do?
(a) Takes a carriage back to Lyme.
(b) Finds the nearest hotle and goes to sleep.
(c) Picks up a prostitute who resembles Sarah.
(d) Goes home alone to Kensington.
8. Why does Charles go to Dr. Grogan?
(a) To see if he has lost his mind.
(b) To get the doctor to deny the rumors of his breakup.
(c) To get his emotional support .
(d) To get him to go see about Ernestina.
9. How does Charles explain himself to Sam?
(a) That he accidentally heard someone in the shed and went in to see who it was.
(b) That he has volunteered for the search party.
(c) That he has come to tell Sarah never to bother him again.
(d) That he is there on the instruction of Dr. Grogan.
10. What is Sarah's explanation for lying about Varguennes?
(a) That she hated all men for a time after he left.
(b) That when she went to him she saw him with a prostitute.
(c) That she wanted to kill herself.
(d) That she had not lied but had not tried to stop the rumors.
11. What does Knowles acknowledge as the modern gentleman?
(a) The scientist
(b) The politician
(c) The capitalist
(d) The educator
12. What humiliation is Charles forced to undergo?
(a) Losing his home in Kensington.
(b) Being expelled from his club.
(c) Signing a letter of guilt for Mr. Freeman.
(d) Appearing in court for breech of promise.
13. What does Sarah say to Charles after they discuss her lie about Varguennes?
(a) You cannot marry me. Leave.
(b) I will go to London and you can come to me whenever you need.
(c) I wanted to see what it might have been like with him.
(d) I am not cut out to be a mistress so we have to marry.
14. What does Charles observe about American women?
(a) He sees them as no different from women in England.
(b) He considers them too pristine.
(c) He thinks that they have no sense of style.
(d) He sees a shadow of Sarah in each of them.
15. To what animal does Charles compare himself at the time?
(a) The hedgehog who curls up in a ball and erects its spines of aristocracy.
(b) A pampered Pekinese dependant on his future father-in-law.
(c) A serpent that devours everyone around him.
(d) A feral cat who must make his way by stealth and cunning.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sarah stay in Exeter?
2. How is Aunt Tranter affected in all of the problems?
3. What kind of morning greets Charles as he begins his walk to meet Sarah?
4. What is Dr. Grogan's recommendation for Ernestina's treatment?
5. What causes Ernestina to be unable to sleep?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)