Final Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Sarah out of the flat when the baby is crying?
(a) She goes to get Charles a hansom.
(b) She goes to pick up her mail.
(c) She goes to buy tea for breakfast.
(d) She goes for medicine for Charles' hangover.
2. Where does Sarah stay in Exeter?
(a) In a convent
(b) In a cheap rooming house
(c) In the Endicott Family Hotel
(d) In a shelter for the homeless
3. What happens after Charles puts out the fire on Sarah's blanket when coals pop from the fireplace?
(a) He jumps up to leave.
(b) Mrs. Endicott runs in to see what the smell is.
(c) They stare into each other's eyes and kiss.
(d) Sarah begins to cry.
4. What is Sarah's reaction to Charles' guilt?
(a) She says she cannot believe he is like Mrs. Poulteney.
(b) She calls him stupid and behind the times.
(c) She says all she wants is his happiness.
(d) She accuses him of being like the French Lieutenant.
5. What do Sam and Mary see briefly at the shed door?
(b) Sarah Woodruff
(c) Dr. Gorgan
(d) A dark bonnet hanging on a nail
6. What does Sam tell Charles he wants two hundred and eighty pounds for?
(a) So he can marry Mary.
(b) To buy a shop.
(c) To keep quiet about Sarah.
(d) To leave and find another employer.
7. What does Charles discover from Mrs. Endicott?
(a) Sarah sends word that she will not see Charles.
(b) Sarah has fallen and hurt her ankle.
(c) Sarah has returned to Lyme.
(d) Sarah has left the hotel and did not leave a forwarding address.
8. What causes Ernestina to be unable to sleep?
(a) The sounds of a thunderstorm outside.
(b) Her behavior after learning that Charles is not inheriting Winsyatt.
(c) The light flooding into her room.
(d) Her disappointment at seeing Charles so happy.
9. How does Charles explain himself to Sam?
(a) That he has volunteered for the search party.
(b) That he has come to tell Sarah never to bother him again.
(c) That he is there on the instruction of Dr. Grogan.
(d) That he accidentally heard someone in the shed and went in to see who it was.
10. What is in the letter from Dr. Grogan?
(a) The thought that there is no need for confession or absolution.
(b) His report that the whole community is talking about charles.
(c) Information that Sarah has left Lyme.
(d) A suggestion of how he can continue with Sarah in secret.
11. What metaphor does Charles use to describe his guilt of lying about Sarah?
(a) Robin Hood denouncing Maid Marian as a strumpet.
(b) King Arthur lusting for Morgan Le Fey.
(c) Sir Lancelot casting blame on the Lady of the Lake.
(d) Sir Galahad showing Guinevere to be a whore.
12. What happens after that first kiss?
(a) Sarah asks him to carry her to her bed before he leaves.
(b) Charles removes Sarah's shawl and night gown.
(c) Charles panics and runs out of her room.
(d) Overcome with passion, Charles tears off his clothes and makes love to her.
13. What does Charles find inside the old shed?
(a) Sarah sleeping on some hay.
(b) Ernestina who had come to catch Charles.
(c) Sarah's bonnet she had left behind.
(d) Sarah's clothes but no Sarah.
14. What is Charles' interest in paleontology now?
(a) He has found a dynasaur.
(b) He is excavating in Egypt.
(c) He works at it spasmotically.
(d) He has lost all interest and gives away his samples.
15. What discovery does Charles make that hits him like a thunderbolt?
(a) That Sarah had planned his seduction carefully.
(b) That Sarah is a virgin.
(c) That he had not wanted to make love to Sarah.
(d) That he is free to leave Sarah forever.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dr. Grogan's recommendation for Ernestina's treatment?
2. In the Victorian ending, what becomes of Mrs. Poulteney?
3. What does Charles attempt to do with Sarah?
4. What does Knowles explain the Victorian ending is all about?
5. What has happened at the prostitute's house?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)