|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What metaphor does Charles use to describe his guilt of lying about Sarah?
(a) Sir Lancelot casting blame on the Lady of the Lake.
(b) King Arthur lusting for Morgan Le Fey.
(c) Sir Galahad showing Guinevere to be a whore.
(d) Robin Hood denouncing Maid Marian as a strumpet.
2. What new service does Charles use to try and locate Sarah?
(a) Personal ads in the Times
(b) Radio advertisement
(c) Private investigators
(d) Police all points bulletins
3. Where does Sam go to work?
(a) For the Duke of Windsor
(b) In the Whie Lion Inn
(c) At Sir Robert's estate
(d) In Mr. Freeman's store
4. Why does Charles go into the child's room?
(a) She is crying and a male neighbor is banging on the wall.
(b) He is curious to see if there really is a child.
(c) He thinks he hears the girl strangling.
(d) He suddenly feels very paternal.
5. What does Charles do when Sam comes into his room the following morning?
(a) Curse Sam
(c) Fire Sam
(d) Order him out of his room
6. What is Sarah's reaction to Charles' guilt?
(a) She says she cannot believe he is like Mrs. Poulteney.
(b) She accuses him of being like the French Lieutenant.
(c) She calls him stupid and behind the times.
(d) She says all she wants is his happiness.
7. Why does Mrs. Endicott allow Charles to go up to Sarah's room?
(a) She thinks he is Sarah's brother.
(b) She thinks he is a doctor.
(c) She takes a bribe from Charles.
(d) She thinks he is Sarah's lawyer.
8. After Ernestina goes back to sleep, what happens in the kitchen downstairs?
(a) The men who have been searching for Sarah are there.
(b) Charles returns and demands his breakfast.
(c) Sam comes and leaves Mary crying at the kitchen table.
(d) Aunt Tranter finds Mrs. Fairley there.
9. What is in the letter from Dr. Grogan?
(a) The thought that there is no need for confession or absolution.
(b) A suggestion of how he can continue with Sarah in secret.
(c) His report that the whole community is talking about charles.
(d) Information that Sarah has left Lyme.
10. How does Charles explain himself to Sam?
(a) That he has volunteered for the search party.
(b) That he has come to tell Sarah never to bother him again.
(c) That he accidentally heard someone in the shed and went in to see who it was.
(d) That he is there on the instruction of Dr. Grogan.
11. What does Knowles explain the Victorian ending is all about?
(a) An exercise in literary speculation.
(b) A means of explaining the Victorian mentality.
(c) Charles' imagination of how things would end.
(d) Ernestina's dream the night before Charles returns to Lyme.
12. What does Charles discover from Mrs. Endicott?
(a) Sarah has returned to Lyme.
(b) Sarah has fallen and hurt her ankle.
(c) Sarah has left the hotel and did not leave a forwarding address.
(d) Sarah sends word that she will not see Charles.
13. What is Charles' interest in paleontology now?
(a) He has found a dynasaur.
(b) He works at it spasmotically.
(c) He has lost all interest and gives away his samples.
(d) He is excavating in Egypt.
14. What has happened at the prostitute's house?
(a) Charles has been drinking heavily and begins throwing up when she said her name was Sarah.
(b) Charles has intercourse with the girl before finding out her name was Sarah.
(c) Sarah's little daughter comes in and gets into bed with them.
(d) Charles passes out from too much to drink and sleeps in a chair.
15. What does Sarah say when Charles says he must break his engagement?
(a) I never thought I would hear you say that.
(b) You wouldn't be happy with that innocent girl anyway.
(c) Does that mean you will marry me?
(d) I ask nothing of you. I am to blame.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charles admit to Dr. Grogan about his feelings for Ernestina?
2. To what does Knowles compare Charles' official decision to go ahead with his marriage to Ernestina?
3. What humiliation is Charles forced to undergo?
4. What is in the second letter Charles opens that morning?
5. Where does Sarah stay in Exeter?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)