|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What shocks Charles during his interview with Mr. Freeman?
(a) Freeman offers to buy Charles a title.
(b) Freeman suggests decreasing Ernestina's dowry.
(c) Freeman offers him a job in his business.
(d) Mr. Freeman tells Charles that Ernestina is adopted.
2. What is in the letter from Dr. Grogan?
(a) A suggestion of how he can continue with Sarah in secret.
(b) The thought that there is no need for confession or absolution.
(c) His report that the whole community is talking about charles.
(d) Information that Sarah has left Lyme.
3. How does Charles explain his separation from Ernestina when he visits the club.
(a) He says he is on parole while she takes the Dorset waters.
(b) He says she is at home visiting her father and gave him the night off.
(c) He says she is too busy planning the wedding.
(d) He says he had pressing business in London but she wanted to stay in Lyme.
4. What does Knowles explain the Victorian ending is all about?
(a) A means of explaining the Victorian mentality.
(b) Ernestina's dream the night before Charles returns to Lyme.
(c) An exercise in literary speculation.
(d) Charles' imagination of how things would end.
5. Where does Sam go to work?
(a) For the Duke of Windsor
(b) At Sir Robert's estate
(c) In Mr. Freeman's store
(d) In the Whie Lion Inn
6. What does Sarah suggest Mrs. Poulteney do with her severance pay?
(a) Buy an instrument of torture to use on the staff.
(b) Put it in the church collection plate.
(c) Buy some rum and drink it.
(d) Give it to Mrs. Fairley for services rendered.
7. What happens when Sam comes to Charles' hotel room?
(a) He gives Charles a black eye.
(b) He resigns as Charles' servant.
(c) He demands money from Charles.
(d) He agrees to go abroad with charles.
8. Where does Charles go after leaving the Freeman mansion?
(a) To his flat in Kensington
(b) To his club on St. James
(c) To the theatre
(d) To his best friend's house
9. Why does Charles go to Dr. Grogan?
(a) To get him to go see about Ernestina.
(b) To get the doctor to deny the rumors of his breakup.
(c) To get his emotional support .
(d) To see if he has lost his mind.
10. What does Sam tell Charles he wants two hundred and eighty pounds for?
(a) To buy a shop.
(b) To leave and find another employer.
(c) So he can marry Mary.
(d) To keep quiet about Sarah.
11. After impulsively kissing Sarah, what does Charles do?
(a) Suggests that she go to London as his mistress.
(b) Lays her down on the hay and makes love to her.
(c) Tells her to go to the White Lion and wait for him.
(d) Pushes Sarah away and runs out of the shed.
12. After the prostitute gets into bed, Charles stares down at her and asks her name. What is her answer?
13. Where does Sarah stay in Exeter?
(a) In a convent
(b) In a cheap rooming house
(c) In the Endicott Family Hotel
(d) In a shelter for the homeless
14. What does Knowles say that the Victorians had thrown at them night and day in the same way we have sex thrown at us today?
15. Who does Charles meet face-to-face as he exits the shed?
(a) The vicar
(b) Dr. Grogan
(c) Mrs. Fairley
(d) Sam and Mary
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sarah's reaction to Charles' guilt?
2. How does Charles think about the three-word message from Sarah?
3. Why is Sarah out of the flat when the baby is crying?
4. How does Dr. Grogan threaten Charles?
5. What does Charles attempt to do with Sarah?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)