|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What new service does Charles use to try and locate Sarah?
(a) Personal ads in the Times
(b) Private investigators
(c) Police all points bulletins
(d) Radio advertisement
2. What has happened at the prostitute's house?
(a) Charles passes out from too much to drink and sleeps in a chair.
(b) Sarah's little daughter comes in and gets into bed with them.
(c) Charles has intercourse with the girl before finding out her name was Sarah.
(d) Charles has been drinking heavily and begins throwing up when she said her name was Sarah.
3. What does Knowles explain the Victorian ending is all about?
(a) Charles' imagination of how things would end.
(b) An exercise in literary speculation.
(c) Ernestina's dream the night before Charles returns to Lyme.
(d) A means of explaining the Victorian mentality.
4. After Charles discovers that Sarah has vanished, who intrudes in his railway compartment?
(a) A pickpocket
(b) A preacher
(d) The author
5. What is in the letter from Dr. Grogan?
(a) Information that Sarah has left Lyme.
(b) The thought that there is no need for confession or absolution.
(c) A suggestion of how he can continue with Sarah in secret.
(d) His report that the whole community is talking about charles.
6. What does Sarah say when Charles says he must break his engagement?
(a) I never thought I would hear you say that.
(b) Does that mean you will marry me?
(c) I ask nothing of you. I am to blame.
(d) You wouldn't be happy with that innocent girl anyway.
7. What is Mrs. Endicott's Bible?
(a) Her horoscope
(b) Her almanac
(c) Her accounts ledger
(d) Her weekly newspaper
8. What happens after Charles puts out the fire on Sarah's blanket when coals pop from the fireplace?
(a) He jumps up to leave.
(b) Mrs. Endicott runs in to see what the smell is.
(c) Sarah begins to cry.
(d) They stare into each other's eyes and kiss.
9. What do Sam and Mary see briefly at the shed door?
(b) A dark bonnet hanging on a nail
(c) Sarah Woodruff
(d) Dr. Gorgan
10. Who does Charles meet face-to-face as he exits the shed?
(a) The vicar
(b) Sam and Mary
(c) Dr. Grogan
(d) Mrs. Fairley
11. What does Charles do when Sam comes into his room the following morning?
(b) Order him out of his room
(c) Curse Sam
(d) Fire Sam
12. After leaving the brothel, what does Charles do?
(a) Picks up a prostitute who resembles Sarah.
(b) Finds the nearest hotle and goes to sleep.
(c) Goes home alone to Kensington.
(d) Takes a carriage back to Lyme.
13. What does Sam do after leaving Charles in his room at the Ship?
(a) Goes and hides out of sight across from the Endicott's Family Hotel.
(b) Goes to the kitchen and orders a large meal charged to Charles.
(c) Goes to the telegraph office to send a message to Mary.
(d) Finds himself a cheap hotel for the night.
14. What decision does Charles make on his way from Exeter to Lyme?
(a) To collect Ernestina and return to London the next day.
(b) To fire Sam.
(c) Not to marry Ernestina.
(d) Never to see Sarah again.
15. What gimmick does Knowles use as an ending of the story in Chapter 44?
(a) A flashback to the time Ernestine was sixteen.
(b) A story within a story that has no ending.
(c) The story as it would have been written in Victorian England.
(d) The breakup of Charles' engagement to Ernestine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charles discover from Mrs. Endicott?
2. What is Sarah's reaction to Charles' guilt?
3. How does Charles think about the three-word message from Sarah?
4. How does Dr. Grogan threaten Charles?
5. What does Knowles say that the Victorians had thrown at them night and day in the same way we have sex thrown at us today?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)