|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sarah say when Charles says he must break his engagement?
(a) Does that mean you will marry me?
(b) I ask nothing of you. I am to blame.
(c) I never thought I would hear you say that.
(d) You wouldn't be happy with that innocent girl anyway.
2. What discovery does Charles make that hits him like a thunderbolt?
(a) That he is free to leave Sarah forever.
(b) That Sarah had planned his seduction carefully.
(c) That he had not wanted to make love to Sarah.
(d) That Sarah is a virgin.
3. What humiliation is Charles forced to undergo?
(a) Losing his home in Kensington.
(b) Appearing in court for breech of promise.
(c) Signing a letter of guilt for Mr. Freeman.
(d) Being expelled from his club.
4. What does Charles find inside the old shed?
(a) Ernestina who had come to catch Charles.
(b) Sarah's clothes but no Sarah.
(c) Sarah's bonnet she had left behind.
(d) Sarah sleeping on some hay.
5. What happens after that first kiss?
(a) Overcome with passion, Charles tears off his clothes and makes love to her.
(b) Sarah asks him to carry her to her bed before he leaves.
(c) Charles panics and runs out of her room.
(d) Charles removes Sarah's shawl and night gown.
6. Why does Ernestina come to Charles' hotel room?
(a) She wants to get him to return to Aunt Tranter's house.
(b) She wants him to read her diary.
(c) She comes for breakfast.
(d) She had heard that Charles is planning to leave Lyme.
7. How does Charles explain himself to Sam?
(a) That he accidentally heard someone in the shed and went in to see who it was.
(b) That he has come to tell Sarah never to bother him again.
(c) That he has volunteered for the search party.
(d) That he is there on the instruction of Dr. Grogan.
8. What is Mrs. Endicott's Bible?
(a) Her accounts ledger
(b) Her almanac
(c) Her weekly newspaper
(d) Her horoscope
9. In the Victorian ending, what becomes of Mrs. Poulteney?
(a) She runs away with the vicar.
(b) She becomes blind and her servants steal everything from her.
(c) She tries to enter heaven and is cast into the realm below.
(d) She has a change of heart and becomes kind to her servants.
10. What is Charles' interest in paleontology now?
(a) He is excavating in Egypt.
(b) He has found a dynasaur.
(c) He works at it spasmotically.
(d) He has lost all interest and gives away his samples.
11. How does Charles explain his separation from Ernestina when he visits the club.
(a) He says he is on parole while she takes the Dorset waters.
(b) He says he had pressing business in London but she wanted to stay in Lyme.
(c) He says she is too busy planning the wedding.
(d) He says she is at home visiting her father and gave him the night off.
12. What is Sarah's reaction to Charles' guilt?
(a) She says she cannot believe he is like Mrs. Poulteney.
(b) She calls him stupid and behind the times.
(c) She accuses him of being like the French Lieutenant.
(d) She says all she wants is his happiness.
13. What is Charles' attitude toward Sam when he returns after his night out?
(a) He warns Sam about being too nosey.
(b) He regards Sam as a real friend unlike his friends at the club.
(c) He thanks Sam for helping him escape being seen by Mrs. Rogers.
(d) He tells Sam to take that insolent look off his face.
14. What does Charles admit to Dr. Grogan about his feelings for Ernestina?
(a) That his only interest in her is her dowry.
(b) That the attraction has worn off and he feels trapped.
(c) That she understands very little of what he is.
(d) That he was sure it would take years for Ernestina to understand him.
15. Why does Charles go to see Dr. Grogan?
(a) He wants sleeping powder for Ernestina.
(b) He suspects Dr. Grogan saw him with Sarah through his telescope.
(c) He needs advice about what to say to Sarah when they meet.
(d) He needs advice after receiving a note from Sarah.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charles decide to do?
2. Where does the cab deliver Charles and the prostitute?
3. To what does Knowles compare Charles' official decision to go ahead with his marriage to Ernestina?
4. Why is Sarah out of the flat when the baby is crying?
5. What does Charles observe about American women?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)