|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charles attempt to do with Sarah?
(a) Get her to go to Paris with him.
(b) Give her money to go to Exeter and find a job.
(c) Get her to pretend suicide.
(d) Help him make up a story about how he found her there.
2. How is Aunt Tranter affected in all of the problems?
(a) She wants to have the police confront Charles.
(b) She says she never trusted Charles.
(c) She is confused and angry.
(d) She thinks it is all for the best.
3. Why is Sarah out of the flat when the baby is crying?
(a) She goes to get Charles a hansom.
(b) She goes for medicine for Charles' hangover.
(c) She goes to buy tea for breakfast.
(d) She goes to pick up her mail.
4. What does Knowles say that the Victorians had thrown at them night and day in the same way we have sex thrown at us today?
5. What does Sarah say when Charles says he must break his engagement?
(a) I never thought I would hear you say that.
(b) You wouldn't be happy with that innocent girl anyway.
(c) Does that mean you will marry me?
(d) I ask nothing of you. I am to blame.
6. What does Charles do when Sam comes into his room the following morning?
(b) Order him out of his room
(c) Curse Sam
(d) Fire Sam
7. After Ernestina goes back to sleep, what happens in the kitchen downstairs?
(a) Sam comes and leaves Mary crying at the kitchen table.
(b) The men who have been searching for Sarah are there.
(c) Charles returns and demands his breakfast.
(d) Aunt Tranter finds Mrs. Fairley there.
8. Where does Sarah stay in Exeter?
(a) In the Endicott Family Hotel
(b) In a convent
(c) In a cheap rooming house
(d) In a shelter for the homeless
9. Why does Charles go to see Dr. Grogan?
(a) He needs advice after receiving a note from Sarah.
(b) He needs advice about what to say to Sarah when they meet.
(c) He suspects Dr. Grogan saw him with Sarah through his telescope.
(d) He wants sleeping powder for Ernestina.
10. What do Sam and Mary see briefly at the shed door?
(a) Dr. Gorgan
(b) Sarah Woodruff
(d) A dark bonnet hanging on a nail
11. What has happened at the prostitute's house?
(a) Sarah's little daughter comes in and gets into bed with them.
(b) Charles passes out from too much to drink and sleeps in a chair.
(c) Charles has intercourse with the girl before finding out her name was Sarah.
(d) Charles has been drinking heavily and begins throwing up when she said her name was Sarah.
12. Where does Charles go after leaving Sarah?
(a) To a church
(b) To find Sam
(c) To his hotel room
(d) To the carriage depot
13. In the Victorian ending, what becomes of Mrs. Poulteney?
(a) She has a change of heart and becomes kind to her servants.
(b) She tries to enter heaven and is cast into the realm below.
(c) She becomes blind and her servants steal everything from her.
(d) She runs away with the vicar.
14. When she couldn't sleep, what does Ernestina decide to do?
(a) Go for a walk.
(b) Write in her diary.
(c) Go look for Aunt Tranter.
(d) Go to the kitchen and eat.
15. After the prostitute gets into bed, Charles stares down at her and asks her name. What is her answer?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sarah's explanation for lying about Varguennes?
2. Why does Ernestina come to Charles' hotel room?
3. What metaphor does Charles use to describe his guilt of lying about Sarah?
4. How does Charles explain himself to Sam?
5. Where is Charles twenty months later?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)