|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 48, 49, 50, and 51.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sam do after leaving Charles in his room at the Ship?
(a) Finds himself a cheap hotel for the night.
(b) Goes and hides out of sight across from the Endicott's Family Hotel.
(c) Goes to the kitchen and orders a large meal charged to Charles.
(d) Goes to the telegraph office to send a message to Mary.
2. How does Ernestina react to Charles' suggestion that they elope and go to Paris?
(a) She calls the idea wickedness.
(b) She runs to pack her bag.
(c) She faints and falls into a chair.
(d) She laughs uproarously.
3. What does Mrs. Poulteney insist as requisites for a companion?
(a) She must have a higher education and good references.
(b) She must have impeccable moral character and no relatives.
(c) She must be willing to attend church every Sabbath.
(d) She must be willing to work for a pittance.
4. How does Dr. Grogan rebut Charles' objection that nothing improper passed between him and Sarah?
(a) He confesses that he saw them in his telescope.
(b) He says Charles protests too much.
(c) He calls Charles a liar and orders him out of his house.
(d) He uses the catechism about wishing for a sinful act being the same as doing it.
5. What does Charles find inside the old shed?
(a) Ernestina who had come to catch Charles.
(b) Sarah's clothes but no Sarah.
(c) Sarah sleeping on some hay.
(d) Sarah's bonnet she had left behind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ernestina's great fear about marriage?
2. What is Charles' plan for maintaining distance from Sarah.
3. What are the two obsessions of Mrs. Poulteney?
4. What news does Ernestina give Charles on his return?
5. Why does Mrs. Poulteney insist Sarah stay when Mrs. Tranter calls with Charles and Ernestina in tow?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)