|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 18 and 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Charles tells Sam not to see Mary until he has cleared it with Mrs. Tranter, to what does Sam compare himself?
(a) A double amputee.
(b) A schoolboy.
(c) A race horse.
(d) A Derby duck.
2. Immediately after Charles discovers that Sarah is not dead, what happens in Ernestina's bedroom?
(a) She rereads her diary entry from that morning.
(b) She calls for Sam to interrogate him about Charles.
(c) She decides to get dressed and go looking for Charles.
(d) She wakes from a dream in which Charles is lost at sea.
3. When Sarah turns to look at Charles, how does he describe the look?
(a) Mysterious and inviting.
(b) Sensuous and compelling.
(c) As though she looked right through him.
(d) Dark and mystifying.
4. How does the butler sum up the feelings of Mrs. Poulteney's staff?
(a) Meanness and gluttony describe you perfectly, madam.
(b) Madam, I shall shake the dust from my shoes as I leave.
(c) You, madam, have not devined that slavery is over.
(d) Madam, I should rather the poor house than another week under your roof.
5. What does Sarah ask of Charles?
(a) That he loan her money.
(b) That he teach her paleontology.
(c) One hour of his time.
(d) That he take her away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What terrible image does Mrs. Talbot have from the literature she reads?
2. For what is Dr. Grogan well known in Lyme?
3. How do the simpering daughters of the Lady seduce Charles in order to snare him as a husband for one of them?
4. How are Charles and Ernestina dressed on their walk down the Cobb?
5. What does Charles intend to do on his outing?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)