|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 11, 12, and 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Knowles say has served as a substitute for experience in Sarah Woodruff?
(a) Her first class education.
(b) Lectures from her father.
(c) Fiction and poetry.
(d) The advice of older women.
2. What double duty does Sam perform at Mrs. Tranter's door?
(a) He delivers Charles' bouquet for Ernestina and a smaller one for Mary, the maid.
(b) He recites a poem to Mary as he gives her the flowers for Ernestina.
(c) He delivers the flowers along with a singing telegram.
(d) He delivers the flowers for Ernestina and an invitation to a dance for Mary.
3. What is Ernestina's great fear about marriage?
(a) The pain and brutality of sex.
(b) The sinfulness of sex.
(c) The idea of becoming amother.
(d) The dread of being seen naked.
4. How are Charles and Ernestina dressed on their walk down the Cobb?
(a) Very stylishly for the day.
(b) In riding habits.
(c) In raincoats and boots.
(d) In clothes suited to the taste of Lyme Regis.
5. On the bright, sunny morning in Lyme, how does Ernestina awaken?
(a) In a mood that the brilliance of the morning only aggravated.
(b) Afraid that exposure to sunlight would darken her skin.
(c) Too late to see Charles who had already left for a walk.
(d) Bright and bubbly, anxious to see Charles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the action between Charles and his servant, Sam, on the bright sunny morning in Dorset?
2. How does Knowles pull himself into the novel in Chapter 13?
3. How does the bright day affect Charles?
4. What is Knowles' description of Charles as a palaeontologist?
5. What causes Sarah and the lieutenant to be thrown together in Capt. Talbot's house?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)