|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 11, 12, and 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Sarah's position in Charmouth?
(a) Milk maid.
2. How does Sarah appear as she stands at her windowsill at night looking out to sea?
(a) Like an angel looking for lost ships.
(b) Like a preliminary to jumping from the window.
(c) Like a ghost searching for reality.
(d) Like a hysterical woman who has lost all.
3. What does Knowles say is the most common symptom of wealth in 1867?
4. What investments had Charles' father made?
(a) Importing and politics.
(b) Shipping and rock collecting.
(c) Coal mining and religion.
(d) Rail stocks and gambling.
5. Why does Sarah take the risk of not going by the back way around the dairy the morning she is seen by two walkers?
(a) She is late for Mrs. Poulteney's reading.
(b) She thinks it is too early for anyone else to be about.
(c) She decides to be brazen and go where she pleases.
(d) She is thinking too hard and does not notice which way she went.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two obsessions of Mrs. Poulteney?
2. What prompts Mrs. Poulteney to ask about someone to take into her service?
3. What does Mrs. Poulteney insist as requisites for a companion?
4. What does Charles enjoy about his relationship to Sam?
5. How does Knowles picture Sam?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)