|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 11, 12, and 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Sarah turns to look at Charles, how does he describe the look?
(a) Dark and mystifying.
(b) As though she looked right through him.
(c) Mysterious and inviting.
(d) Sensuous and compelling.
2. In trying to be Victorian polite, what does Ernestina call the woman they see on the Cobb?
(a) The lady of the night.
(b) Old Mrs. Poulteney's companion.
(c) A woman just a bit crazy.
(d) The French lieutenant's. . .woman.
3. What investments had Charles' father made?
(a) Rail stocks and gambling.
(b) Shipping and rock collecting.
(c) Coal mining and religion.
(d) Importing and politics.
4. What is Knowles' description of Mrs. Poulteney's unsuccessful appeal to knowledge?
(a) A look of solid comprehension.
(b) A blank stare signifying nothing.
(c) A look somewhat like a white Pekinese.
(d) A successful appeal to disapproval.
5. What does Charles enjoy about his relationship to Sam?
(a) Daily chatter and a lapse into schoolboyhood.
(b) Watching Sam avoiding the Cockney maids.
(c) The educated, philosophical discussions they have.
(d) Watching Sam make a fool of himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the butler sum up the feelings of Mrs. Poulteney's staff?
2. How are Charles and Ernestina dressed on their walk down the Cobb?
3. How does Sarah appear as she stands at her windowsill at night looking out to sea?
4. What is Ernestina's great fear about marriage?
5. What characteristics make Aunt Tranter very special?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)