|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 7, 8, 9, and 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Charles' mother?
(a) She died in childbirth to a stillborn girl.
(b) She fell into the sea on a boat outing.
(c) She died of tuberculosis.
(d) She ran off with an Italian.
2. What is Knowles' description of Mrs. Poulteney's unsuccessful appeal to knowledge?
(a) A blank stare signifying nothing.
(b) A look somewhat like a white Pekinese.
(c) A successful appeal to disapproval.
(d) A look of solid comprehension.
3. What is Ernestina's great fear about marriage?
(a) The pain and brutality of sex.
(b) The idea of becoming amother.
(c) The sinfulness of sex.
(d) The dread of being seen naked.
4. THE FRENCH LIEUTENANT'S WOMAN takes place in what historical era?
5. After Sarah goes to work for Mrs. Poulteney, how does she size up her employer?
(a) She is indifferent to Mrs. Poulteney's quirks of behavior.
(b) She sees Mrs. Poulteney as a tyrant and tries to warn the staff when she is coming.
(c) She understands her and how to handle her like a skilled cardinal handles a weak pope.
(d) She learns to keep her mouth shut at all times and at all costs.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the bright, sunny morning in Lyme, how does Ernestina awaken?
2. How does Knowles picture Sam?
3. Upon whose word does Mr. Forsythe, vicar of Lyme, rely to recommend Sarah?
4. What is the action between Charles and his servant, Sam, on the bright sunny morning in Dorset?
5. Why does Mrs. Talbot decide not to rehire Sarah Woodruff?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)