|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 7, 8, 9, and 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What prompts Mrs. Poulteney to ask about someone to take into her service?
(a) Her fear of hell and her need for a companion to write for her.
(b) Her need for a nurse during her illness.
(c) Her image in the community as being benevolent.
(d) The vicar's insistance that she take someone needy in.
2. Where does Charles establish his quarters after his father's death?
(a) In Wales.
(b) In Kensington.
(c) In Essex.
(d) In Balmory.
3. Why is Charles thought of as an interesting young man?
(a) Because there was no cynicism about him.
(b) Because he was easy to catch in a matriomonial trap.
(c) Because he was as well known as Disraeli and Gladstone.
(d) Because his travels had rubbed away the patina of seriousness.
4. What is Sarah's position in Charmouth?
(d) Milk maid.
5. What characteristics make Aunt Tranter very special?
(a) High moral and religious values.
(b) Optimism and making the best of everything for all.
(c) Plumpness and a jocular spirit.
(d) Wealth and generosity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Knowles say has served as a substitute for experience in Sarah Woodruff?
2. What is it about Ernestina that attracts Charles?
3. Upon whose word does Mr. Forsythe, vicar of Lyme, rely to recommend Sarah?
4. What is Knowles' description of Charles as a palaeontologist?
5. When Sarah turns to look at Charles, how does he describe the look?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)