|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 52, 53, 54, and 55.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What expression applied to a boy or girl is guaranteed to despoil their reputation for life?
(a) One of the Lyme Green kids.
(b) One of the Dairy Lane kids.
(c) One of the Ware Commons kids.
(d) One of the Cobb walker kids.
2. What happened to Charles' mother?
(a) She fell into the sea on a boat outing.
(b) She died in childbirth to a stillborn girl.
(c) She died of tuberculosis.
(d) She ran off with an Italian.
3. What does Knowles say readers should now see as obvious?
(a) That Sam had proposed marriage to Mary.
(b) That Mary is pregnant with Sam's baby.
(c) That Sam is planning to abandon Mary.
(d) That Sam and Mary had been to that barn many times before.
4. What kind of morning greets Charles as he begins his walk to meet Sarah?
(a) It is beautiful and serene, leaving Charles feeling as though it were for him paradise lost.
(b) It is a foggy morning that compared to the blindness Charles feels about himself.
(c) It is cold and threatening, making Charles feel as though he is walking into an icy death.
(d) It is gray and rainy, symbolic of the gloom into which he is walking.
5. What is Sam's dream about Mary?
(a) She marries him and has ten children.
(b) She is the attraction in his gentlemen's shop that brings in customers.
(c) She wantonly gives herself to him.
(d) She secretly has a large dowry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the outcome of Charles' interview with Ernestina's father, Mr. Freeman?
2. After Ernestina goes back to sleep, what happens in the kitchen downstairs?
3. Why does Charles go to Dr. Grogan?
4. Where does Charles go after leaving the Freeman mansion?
5. What does Sarah think about Mrs. Tranter?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)