Chapters 1, 2, and 3
1. THE FRENCH LIEUTENANT'S WOMAN takes place in what historical era?
2. How are Charles and Ernestina dressed on their walk down the Cobb?
(a) Very stylishly for the day.
(b) In raincoats and boots.
(c) In clothes suited to the taste of Lyme Regis.
(d) In riding habits.
3. In trying to be Victorian polite, what does Ernestina call the woman they see on the Cobb?
(a) Old Mrs. Poulteney's companion.
(b) The French lieutenant's. . .woman.
(c) The lady of the night.
(d) A woman just a bit crazy.
4. When Sarah turns to look at Charles, how does he describe the look?
(a) Mysterious and inviting.
(b) As though she looked right through him.
(c) Dark and mystifying.
(d) Sensuous and compelling.
5. What does Knowles say is the most common symptom of wealth in 1867?
6. What title did Charles' grandfather hold?
7. What happened to Charles' mother?
(a) She died of tuberculosis.
(b) She fell into the sea on a boat outing.
(c) She ran off with an Italian.
(d) She died in childbirth to a stillborn girl.
This section contains 7,059 words
(approx. 24 pages at 300 words per page)