|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was "Mort de Judas" published?
2. What does the prodigal son say he can still taste, even after partaking of the calf at the feast?
3. What is the first thing the prodigal son's father does when he sees his son?
4. What does Balducci give Daru as he is leaving the schoolhouse?
5. What would Mauriac say in front of a mirror?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the sight in "The Guest" that Daru witnessed while he watched the two men come up the mountain to the schoolhouse.
2. Why is the eldest son harsher than the father is regarding the prodigal son?
3. What does Daru do with the Arab at the end of the story?
4. How does Dutilleul come to find out about his power?
5. Who was "caught" by Jesus, according to Judas?
6. According to the editor, why is Francois Mauriac "one of the most sensitive witnesses of our threatened world?"
7. What did Dutilleul's coworkers do when they found out that he was the "Werewolf?"
8. What happened to Dutilleul's superior because of the scare that Dutilleul gave him?
9. Why did Judas find himself above all other of Jesus' disciples?
10. How does the prodigal son answer his father about his reasons for returning home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the meaning behind Dutilleul's use of a "Werewolf" as his sign. Normally, what does the werewolf symbolize as an image? What does the werewolf symbolize for Dutilleul? How do these understandings collaborate or contradict with one another? Why?
Essay Topic 2
In "The Atheist's Mass," what is the irony behind Desplein's visits to church? What do his visits say about him as a man? Do you consider Desplein a true atheist? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How does the demolition of the garden affect Jean Bridelle in "The Minuet?" Although not given textually, what does the destruction of the garden represent for the older couple? How do their feelings differ? How are their feelings similar?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)