|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who spoke at the graduation in "Grand-Lebrun"?
2. What does Balducci give Daru as he is leaving the schoolhouse?
3. According to the editor's biography of Mauriac, what does Mauriac consider himself the last of?
4. What story made Judas want to hide?
5. When did Claudel die in "The Death of Judas"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the sight in "The Guest" that Daru witnessed while he watched the two men come up the mountain to the schoolhouse.
2. Why was a fire only kept in the dining room and in the room of the narrator's mother in "Grand-Lebrun?"
3. Why did Daru feel like a lord given his meager lifestyle?
4. Why did Dutilleul "show" his power to pass through walls to his superior?
5. Why did the narrator live in a "poetic trance" while at Grand-Lebrun?
6. According to the narrator in "Grand-Lebrun," what causes children to look for God?
7. What did Dutilleul's coworkers do when they found out that he was the "Werewolf?"
8. Describe Dutilleul in "The Passer-Through-Walls."
9. In "Grand-Lebrun," describe the "little old women" in the narrator's story.
10. Why is the eldest son harsher than the father is regarding the prodigal son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the story "The Poor Boy's Toy." What does each of the point-of-views in the story represent? What do you think that Baudelaire is trying to say? Is this story one of morality or social standing? What is the meaning behind Baudelaire's story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the imagery used in "The Rope." What does each of the following characters represent: The narrator; the boy; the mother; and the neighbors? What do the following items represent: the rope; the nail; and sugars and liqueurs?
Essay Topic 3
In "The Return of the Prodigal Son," discuss the multiple reasons the prodigal son gives for returning home. Which reason do you believe is the real reason for the prodigal son's return? Do you believe he omitted the real reason for his return? Cite specific examples from the text to support your response.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)