|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man who was able to pass through walls?
2. What does the prodigal son first say made him come back?
3. What is the prodigal son's mother afraid of?
4. In "The Passer-Through-Walls", what name did the main character give himself during his thievery?
5. In "Grand-Lebrun", when does a child's heart become used to looking for God?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Grand-Lebrun," describe the "little old women" in the narrator's story.
2. What did Dutilleul's coworkers do when they found out that he was the "Werewolf?"
3. What does Daru do with the Arab at the end of the story?
4. Why did Daru feel like a lord given his meager lifestyle?
5. According to the narrator in "Grand-Lebrun," what causes children to look for God?
6. What were the circumstances surrounding Dutilleul's first burglary?
7. Why does Daru believe that Balducci is playing a joke on him when he tells Daru of the order for Daru to transport the Arab?
8. Why did Dutilleul "show" his power to pass through walls to his superior?
9. According to Judas, how is a paralytic described after he has been cured?
10. Who was "caught" by Jesus, according to Judas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Micromegas leaves the inhabitants of Earth with a book that will "answer" all of their questions. What is the relevance of the "gift" that Micromegas leaves? What does its "state" mean for the humans? For Micromegas?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the imagery in the story "The Old Clown." What does the old clown represent? What does the narrator represent? What do the festivities represent? What is the main point of the story?
Essay Topic 3
What does the garden represent for Jean Bridelle in "The Minuet?" What does the garden represent for the old couple in the story? How are their feelings for the garden similar? How are they different?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)