|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the first of the disciples to be called an Apostle in "The Death of Judas"?
2. What was Camus' occupation at the beginning of the war?
3. What is the prodigal son's mother afraid of?
4. To which direction do Daru's classroom windows open?
5. In "The Passer-Through-Walls", what did the main character do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Daru do with the Arab at the end of the story?
2. How does Dutilleul come to find out about his power?
3. Why does Judas claim that all young people should come and gaze upon his dead body?
4. Why did the narrator live in a "poetic trance" while at Grand-Lebrun?
5. How does the prodigal son answer his father about his reasons for returning home?
6. In "Grand-Lebrun," why does the narrator choose to recall his time at his former school?
7. Why is the Arab being transported to another village in "The Guest?"
8. Why did Judas find himself above all other of Jesus' disciples?
9. Why does Daru believe that Balducci is playing a joke on him when he tells Daru of the order for Daru to transport the Arab?
10. Why does Judas claim that readers should not be against the Pharisees?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
State the ironies in "The Death of Judas." Why are these examples ironic? Do they "justify" Judas' reasoning behind his decisions? How?
Essay Topic 2
In "The Guest," what is the importance of Daru's isolation? How does his love of isolation speak to the meaning behind the story? How is the theme of isolation shown in a physical way? In a symbolic way? Is Daru's love of isolation the reason that he helps the Arab to escape? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In the story "The Guest," who is the guest: Daru; Balducci; or the Arab? Why do you believe so? Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)