|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Judas' position within the disciples?
2. Who does Judas begin to visit when he decides he wants to know "the other side of things"?
3. What does the main character's office door read in "The Passer-Through-Walls"?
4. In "The Passer-Through-Walls", what does the main character collect?
5. What is a paralytic who has been put back on his feet compared to in "The Death of Judas"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the narrator live in a "poetic trance" while at Grand-Lebrun?
2. Why does the prodigal son's older brother claim to be different from the prodigal son?
3. In "Grand-Lebrun," describe the "little old women" in the narrator's story.
4. Describe Dutilleul in "The Passer-Through-Walls."
5. Why does Judas claim that readers should not be against the Pharisees?
6. Why was a fire only kept in the dining room and in the room of the narrator's mother in "Grand-Lebrun?"
7. Why did Daru feel like a lord given his meager lifestyle?
8. According to Judas, how is a paralytic described after he has been cured?
9. Why did Judas have the right to transfer funds into his own personal account?
10. Why does Daru believe that Balducci is playing a joke on him when he tells Daru of the order for Daru to transport the Arab?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one character from one of the stories. Who is this character? What does the story tell readers specifically about the character? What must readers infer about the character? What are the characters strengths and weaknesses? What conflict does the character face? What does the character learn or refuse to learn? What do the character's decisions tall readers about the character?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the meaning behind Dutilleul's use of a "Werewolf" as his sign. Normally, what does the werewolf symbolize as an image? What does the werewolf symbolize for Dutilleul? How do these understandings collaborate or contradict with one another? Why?
Essay Topic 3
In "The Guest," what is the importance of Daru's isolation? How does his love of isolation speak to the meaning behind the story? How is the theme of isolation shown in a physical way? In a symbolic way? Is Daru's love of isolation the reason that he helps the Arab to escape? Why or why not?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)