|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a paralytic who has been put back on his feet compared to in "The Death of Judas"?
2. What is drawn on the classroom's blackboard in "The Guest"?
3. What is the name of the man who was able to pass through walls?
4. What does "hic et nunc" mean?
5. At the time of printing, how many novels had Ayme written?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Dutilleul's superior because of the scare that Dutilleul gave him?
2. Describe the sight in "The Guest" that Daru witnessed while he watched the two men come up the mountain to the schoolhouse.
3. Why does Judas claim that all young people should come and gaze upon his dead body?
4. What did Dutilleul's coworkers do when they found out that he was the "Werewolf?"
5. Why is the eldest son harsher than the father is regarding the prodigal son?
6. Why did Daru feel like a lord given his meager lifestyle?
7. Why did Daru have bags of wheat in the schoolhouse?
8. Who was "caught" by Jesus, according to Judas?
9. Why does Daru believe that Balducci is playing a joke on him when he tells Daru of the order for Daru to transport the Arab?
10. Why did the narrator live in a "poetic trance" while at Grand-Lebrun?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between the prodigal son and one of his family members from "The Return of the Prodigal Son". What is their relationship based upon? What are the problems associated with their relationship? To whom does the relationship mean more? Why?
Essay Topic 2
In "The Guest," what is the importance of Daru's isolation? How does his love of isolation speak to the meaning behind the story? How is the theme of isolation shown in a physical way? In a symbolic way? Is Daru's love of isolation the reason that he helps the Arab to escape? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the prophecies that Julian's parents received about their son. How do the prophecies conflict with each other? How do they feed into each other? Which prophecy seems to be more important to each individual parent? Why? How is this typical of the times and circumstances in which the prophecy was given?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)