|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the basis of the poem that admitted Judas to the Sanhedrin?
2. How long did Gide spend writing "The Return of the Prodigal Son"?
3. What does the main character's office door read in "The Passer-Through-Walls"?
4. In "The Guest", how many men is the schoolteacher waiting on to climb the hill to the school house?
5. What does Judas compare Simon Peter's eyes to in "The Death of Judas"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the prodigal son planning on saying to his father to get his father to accept him back?
2. Why did the narrator live in a "poetic trance" while at Grand-Lebrun?
3. Why is the Arab being transported to another village in "The Guest?"
4. Why does Judas claim that all young people should come and gaze upon his dead body?
5. Why does Daru believe that Balducci is playing a joke on him when he tells Daru of the order for Daru to transport the Arab?
6. Why did Judas have the right to transfer funds into his own personal account?
7. Describe the sight in "The Guest" that Daru witnessed while he watched the two men come up the mountain to the schoolhouse.
8. Why did Daru have bags of wheat in the schoolhouse?
9. What happened to Dutilleul's superior because of the scare that Dutilleul gave him?
10. In "Grand-Lebrun," describe the "little old women" in the narrator's story.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the imagery used in "The Rope." What does each of the following characters represent: The narrator; the boy; the mother; and the neighbors? What do the following items represent: the rope; the nail; and sugars and liqueurs?
Essay Topic 2
In "The Atheist's Mass," what is the irony behind Desplein's visits to church? What do his visits say about him as a man? Do you consider Desplein a true atheist? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How does the demolition of the garden affect Jean Bridelle in "The Minuet?" Although not given textually, what does the destruction of the garden represent for the older couple? How do their feelings differ? How are their feelings similar?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)