|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nearest village to Daru's schoolhouse?
2. What is the name the children gave to the school buses that picked them up for school in "Grand-Lebrun"?
3. According to the editor's biography of Mauriac, what does Mauriac consider himself the last of?
4. To which direction do Daru's classroom windows open?
5. What does the following line by Rimbaud mean: mais vous j'ai trop pleure, les aubes sont navrantes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Dutilleul's superior because of the scare that Dutilleul gave him?
2. What does the prodigal son's father do when the prodigal son returns home?
3. Why did the prodigal son leave home?
4. What were the circumstances surrounding Dutilleul's first burglary?
5. Why is the eldest son harsher than the father is regarding the prodigal son?
6. Why does the prodigal son's older brother claim to be different from the prodigal son?
7. What is the prodigal son planning on saying to his father to get his father to accept him back?
8. According to Judas, how is a paralytic described after he has been cured?
9. Why does Judas claim that all young people should come and gaze upon his dead body?
10. In "Grand-Lebrun," describe the "little old women" in the narrator's story.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the imagery used in "The Rope." What does each of the following characters represent: The narrator; the boy; the mother; and the neighbors? What do the following items represent: the rope; the nail; and sugars and liqueurs?
Essay Topic 2
What does the garden represent for Jean Bridelle in "The Minuet?" What does the garden represent for the old couple in the story? How are their feelings for the garden similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Dutilleul's, from "The Passer-Through-Walls," powers. What does he choose to do with his powers? What do his choices say about him as a person? What are the results of the choices he makes? What is the impact that his choices have on others?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)