|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first facial feature that Daru notices about the Arab?
2. In "The Passer-Through-Walls", how long does the main character meditate before bed every night?
3. What does Daru give the Arab in addition to food?
4. What is a paralytic who has been put back on his feet compared to in "The Death of Judas"?
5. Why does the eldest son say he is different from the prodigal son?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Judas, how is a paralytic described after he has been cured?
2. Why is the Arab being transported to another village in "The Guest?"
3. Why does the prodigal son's older brother claim to be different from the prodigal son?
4. Why does Judas claim that all young people should come and gaze upon his dead body?
5. In "Grand-Lebrun," why does the narrator choose to recall his time at his former school?
6. In "Grand-Lebrun," describe the "little old women" in the narrator's story.
7. Why did Daru feel like a lord given his meager lifestyle?
8. What did Dutilleul's coworkers do when they found out that he was the "Werewolf?"
9. Why does Daru believe that Balducci is playing a joke on him when he tells Daru of the order for Daru to transport the Arab?
10. Why did Judas find himself above all other of Jesus' disciples?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the imagery in the story "The Old Clown." What does the old clown represent? What does the narrator represent? What do the festivities represent? What is the main point of the story?
Essay Topic 2
State the ironies in "The Death of Judas." Why are these examples ironic? Do they "justify" Judas' reasoning behind his decisions? How?
Essay Topic 3
In "The Atheist's Mass," what is the irony behind Desplein's visits to church? What do his visits say about him as a man? Do you consider Desplein a true atheist? Why or why not?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)