|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the time of printing, where did Ayme reside?
2. What does the prodigal son first say made him come back?
3. In "Grand-Lebrun", when does a child's heart become used to looking for God?
4. Where must Daru take the Arab?
5. What was Camus' occupation at the beginning of the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Dutilleul "show" his power to pass through walls to his superior?
2. Why was a fire only kept in the dining room and in the room of the narrator's mother in "Grand-Lebrun?"
3. Why did the prodigal son leave home?
4. According to the narrator in "Grand-Lebrun," what causes children to look for God?
5. Why did Daru have bags of wheat in the schoolhouse?
6. Why does the prodigal son's older brother claim to be different from the prodigal son?
7. Describe the sight in "The Guest" that Daru witnessed while he watched the two men come up the mountain to the schoolhouse.
8. How does the prodigal son answer his father about his reasons for returning home?
9. In "Grand-Lebrun," describe the "little old women" in the narrator's story.
10. What does Daru do with the Arab at the end of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Atheist's Mass," what is the irony behind Desplein's visits to church? What do his visits say about him as a man? Do you consider Desplein a true atheist? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What does the garden represent for Jean Bridelle in "The Minuet?" What does the garden represent for the old couple in the story? How are their feelings for the garden similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
In "The Return of the Prodigal Son," whom is the most important conversation with: the father, the older brother, the mother, or the younger brother? Why do you believe that this is the most important conversation in the story? Cite specific examples from the text to support your response.
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)