|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What story made Judas want to hide?
2. According to the editor, what did Claudel never make to his public?
3. In what year did Francois Mauriac win the Nobel Peace Prize?
4. What does Judas compare Simon Peter's eyes to in "The Death of Judas"?
5. What is the name of the servant who woke Mauriac?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dutilleul come to find out about his power?
2. Who was "caught" by Jesus, according to Judas?
3. Why does Judas claim that readers should not be against the Pharisees?
4. Describe the sight in "The Guest" that Daru witnessed while he watched the two men come up the mountain to the schoolhouse.
5. What happened to Dutilleul's superior because of the scare that Dutilleul gave him?
6. Why does Daru believe that Balducci is playing a joke on him when he tells Daru of the order for Daru to transport the Arab?
7. According to the editor, why is Francois Mauriac "one of the most sensitive witnesses of our threatened world?"
8. Why did Judas have the right to transfer funds into his own personal account?
9. In "Grand-Lebrun," why does the narrator choose to recall his time at his former school?
10. What is the prodigal son planning on saying to his father to get his father to accept him back?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the story "The Guest," who is the guest: Daru; Balducci; or the Arab? Why do you believe so? Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 2
In "The Return of the Prodigal Son," whom is the most important conversation with: the father, the older brother, the mother, or the younger brother? Why do you believe that this is the most important conversation in the story? Cite specific examples from the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
How does the demolition of the garden affect Jean Bridelle in "The Minuet?" Although not given textually, what does the destruction of the garden represent for the older couple? How do their feelings differ? How are their feelings similar?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)