|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the specialty of the Apostles in "The Death of Judas"?
2. In remembering his time at Grand-Lebrun, what season is it?
3. According to the editor's biography of Mauriac, what does Mauriac consider himself the last of?
4. What is the name of the man who was able to pass through walls?
5. How old was the main character when his power was revealed to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Judas have the right to transfer funds into his own personal account?
2. In "Grand-Lebrun," why does the narrator choose to recall his time at his former school?
3. What were the circumstances surrounding Dutilleul's first burglary?
4. Why did Judas find himself above all other of Jesus' disciples?
5. What happened to Dutilleul's superior because of the scare that Dutilleul gave him?
6. Why did Daru have bags of wheat in the schoolhouse?
7. Why was a fire only kept in the dining room and in the room of the narrator's mother in "Grand-Lebrun?"
8. What does Daru do with the Arab at the end of the story?
9. According to the editor, why is Francois Mauriac "one of the most sensitive witnesses of our threatened world?"
10. Why does Daru believe that Balducci is playing a joke on him when he tells Daru of the order for Daru to transport the Arab?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Guest," what is the importance of Daru's isolation? How does his love of isolation speak to the meaning behind the story? How is the theme of isolation shown in a physical way? In a symbolic way? Is Daru's love of isolation the reason that he helps the Arab to escape? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
State the ironies in "The Death of Judas." Why are these examples ironic? Do they "justify" Judas' reasoning behind his decisions? How?
Essay Topic 3
Choose three of the stories using the obstacles that the main character faces. What are the obstacles? What are the choices the main character has? What does the main character choose to do? Is the decision moral/just or not?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)