|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the doctor find is the cause of the main character's special power in "The Passer-Through-Walls"?
2. What would Mauriac say in front of a mirror?
3. When did Claudel die in "The Death of Judas"?
4. What did Mauriac sometimes consider himself?
5. Who designed the statue of Jupiter in "The Death of Judas"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Dutilleul's superior because of the scare that Dutilleul gave him?
2. Why does Judas claim that all young people should come and gaze upon his dead body?
3. In "Grand-Lebrun," describe the "little old women" in the narrator's story.
4. According to the editor, why is Francois Mauriac "one of the most sensitive witnesses of our threatened world?"
5. Why did the prodigal son leave home?
6. Why did Daru feel like a lord given his meager lifestyle?
7. How does Dutilleul come to find out about his power?
8. Why is the Arab being transported to another village in "The Guest?"
9. Why was a fire only kept in the dining room and in the room of the narrator's mother in "Grand-Lebrun?"
10. Describe Dutilleul in "The Passer-Through-Walls."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between the prodigal son and one of his family members from "The Return of the Prodigal Son". What is their relationship based upon? What are the problems associated with their relationship? To whom does the relationship mean more? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Micromegas is banned from his planet for writing a heretical book. He goes on a journey that allows him to ask a very important question to the inhabitants of Earth. Why is the question so important to Micromegas? What point is he making by asking it? What is the relevance of his journey and the question?
Essay Topic 3
Micromegas leaves the inhabitants of Earth with a book that will "answer" all of their questions. What is the relevance of the "gift" that Micromegas leaves? What does its "state" mean for the humans? For Micromegas?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)