|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Camus receive the Nobel Peace Prize?
2. Who does Judas begin to visit when he decides he wants to know "the other side of things"?
3. According to the editor, in what genre does Ayme fail to be successful?
4. In "Grand-Lebrun", when does a child's heart become used to looking for God?
5. When did Claudel die in "The Death of Judas"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the circumstances surrounding Dutilleul's first burglary?
2. What does Daru do with the Arab at the end of the story?
3. Describe the sight in "The Guest" that Daru witnessed while he watched the two men come up the mountain to the schoolhouse.
4. Why does Daru believe that Balducci is playing a joke on him when he tells Daru of the order for Daru to transport the Arab?
5. Why did Dutilleul "show" his power to pass through walls to his superior?
6. Why does Judas claim that all young people should come and gaze upon his dead body?
7. What did Dutilleul's coworkers do when they found out that he was the "Werewolf?"
8. In "Grand-Lebrun," describe the "little old women" in the narrator's story.
9. According to Judas, how is a paralytic described after he has been cured?
10. Who was "caught" by Jesus, according to Judas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the meaning behind Dutilleul's use of a "Werewolf" as his sign. Normally, what does the werewolf symbolize as an image? What does the werewolf symbolize for Dutilleul? How do these understandings collaborate or contradict with one another? Why?
Essay Topic 2
State the ironies in "The Death of Judas." Why are these examples ironic? Do they "justify" Judas' reasoning behind his decisions? How?
Essay Topic 3
How does the demolition of the garden affect Jean Bridelle in "The Minuet?" Although not given textually, what does the destruction of the garden represent for the older couple? How do their feelings differ? How are their feelings similar?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)