|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing the prodigal son's father does when he sees his son?
2. What is Judas' position within the disciples?
3. What was the name of the critical work that Ayme wrote?
4. In what year did Camus receive the Nobel Peace Prize?
5. According to the editor's biography of Mauriac, what does Mauriac consider himself the last of?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the narrator in "Grand-Lebrun," what causes children to look for God?
2. Why did the prodigal son leave home?
3. What happened to Dutilleul's superior because of the scare that Dutilleul gave him?
4. Why does the prodigal son's older brother claim to be different from the prodigal son?
5. How does Dutilleul come to find out about his power?
6. Why is the Arab being transported to another village in "The Guest?"
7. What does the prodigal son's father do when the prodigal son returns home?
8. What is the prodigal son planning on saying to his father to get his father to accept him back?
9. Describe the sight in "The Guest" that Daru witnessed while he watched the two men come up the mountain to the schoolhouse.
10. According to the editor, why is Francois Mauriac "one of the most sensitive witnesses of our threatened world?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the imagery in the story "The Old Clown." What does the old clown represent? What does the narrator represent? What do the festivities represent? What is the main point of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Choose three of the stories using the obstacles that the main character faces. What are the obstacles? What are the choices the main character has? What does the main character choose to do? Is the decision moral/just or not?
Essay Topic 3
Micromegas leaves the inhabitants of Earth with a book that will "answer" all of their questions. What is the relevance of the "gift" that Micromegas leaves? What does its "state" mean for the humans? For Micromegas?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)