|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness did Albert Camus have while at university?
2. What does the prodigal son say he can still taste, even after partaking of the calf at the feast?
3. What does the following line by Rimbaud mean: mais vous j'ai trop pleure, les aubes sont navrantes?
4. What is the first facial feature that Daru notices about the Arab?
5. How old was the main character when his power was revealed to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Judas, how is a paralytic described after he has been cured?
2. What does Daru do with the Arab at the end of the story?
3. How does Dutilleul come to find out about his power?
4. Why did Judas have the right to transfer funds into his own personal account?
5. In "Grand-Lebrun," why does the narrator choose to recall his time at his former school?
6. Why is the eldest son harsher than the father is regarding the prodigal son?
7. According to the narrator in "Grand-Lebrun," what causes children to look for God?
8. In "Grand-Lebrun," describe the "little old women" in the narrator's story.
9. What is the prodigal son planning on saying to his father to get his father to accept him back?
10. Why is the Arab being transported to another village in "The Guest?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose three of the stories using the obstacles that the main character faces. What are the obstacles? What are the choices the main character has? What does the main character choose to do? Is the decision moral/just or not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the prophecies in "The Legend of St. Julian the Hospitaler." What were the circumstances under which each of the prophecies was given? What happened because of the prophecies? Did each of the prophecies change the receiver? How? What was the outcome of the prophecies on the story itself?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between the prodigal son and one of his family members from "The Return of the Prodigal Son". What is their relationship based upon? What are the problems associated with their relationship? To whom does the relationship mean more? Why?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)