Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Baudelaire die?
2. To what does the narrator compare Desplein?
3. What did Desplein do to honor the water carrier as a man?
4. What religion does Desplein practice?
5. Who is Maupassant's godfather?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the garden mean for the old couple in "Minuet?"
2. According to Jean Bridelle, in "Minuet," what is the most violent grief a man and mother can bear?
3. Why did Daru have bags of wheat in the schoolhouse?
4. Why did Dutilleul "show" his power to pass through walls to his superior?
5. What did Dutilleul's coworkers do when they found out that he was the "Werewolf?"
6. Why was Micromegas condemned?
7. Why does Daru believe that Balducci is playing a joke on him when he tells Daru of the order for Daru to transport the Arab?
8. Describe how Desplein saw the earth.
9. Why did people dislike Desplein?
10. Describe Dutilleul in "The Passer-Through-Walls."
Choose one character from one of the stories. Who is this character? What does the story tell readers specifically about the character? What must readers infer about the character? What are the characters strengths and weaknesses? What conflict does the character face? What does the character learn or refuse to learn? What do the character's decisions tall readers about the character?
Compare and contrast the prophecies that Julian's parents received about their son. How do the prophecies conflict with each other? How do they feed into each other? Which prophecy seems to be more important to each individual parent? Why? How is this typical of the times and circumstances in which the prophecy was given?
State the ironies in "The Death of Judas." Why are these examples ironic? Do they "justify" Judas' reasoning behind his decisions? How?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)