|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Desplein claim the human body lacks?
2. What job does Julian take after leaving his wife?
3. What did the water carrier do for Desplein when they met?
4. According to the editor in "The Poor Boy's Toy", what idea does the narrator want to convey?
5. What happened to the water carrier that Desplein knew as a young man?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Horace surprised that Desplein attended a mass?
2. In "The Old Clown," why were people "sprawled everywhere?"
3. According to Jean Bridelle, in "Minuet," what is the most violent grief a man and mother can bear?
4. Why is Micromegas and the Saturnian surprised by the men on the ship?
5. What does Jean Bridelle see the old man doing in the garden?
6. Why was Micromegas condemned?
7. What was Julian taught when he was seven-years-old?
8. According to "The Poor Boy's Toy," how do rich children differ from poor ones?
9. What would Jean Bridelle do in the garden almost every morning?
10. According to the old couple, what is the minuet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the story "The Poor Boy's Toy." What does each of the point-of-views in the story represent? What do you think that Baudelaire is trying to say? Is this story one of morality or social standing? What is the meaning behind Baudelaire's story?
Essay Topic 2
In "The Guest," what is the importance of Daru's isolation? How does his love of isolation speak to the meaning behind the story? How is the theme of isolation shown in a physical way? In a symbolic way? Is Daru's love of isolation the reason that he helps the Arab to escape? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between the prodigal son and one of his family members from "The Return of the Prodigal Son". What is their relationship based upon? What are the problems associated with their relationship? To whom does the relationship mean more? Why?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)