|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Emperor's name who Julian frees from the Muslims?
2. What does Jean Bridelle compare the borders of small trees to?
3. What does Desplein's student do when he follows Desplein into church?
4. What was in the wire box in the story "The Poor Boy's Toy"?
5. Why is Desplein's student surprised by Desplein's actions toward the water carrier?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dutilleul in "The Passer-Through-Walls."
2. In "Grand-Lebrun," describe the "little old women" in the narrator's story.
3. Why did people dislike Desplein?
4. Describe how Desplein saw the earth.
5. According to the editor, why is Francois Mauriac "one of the most sensitive witnesses of our threatened world?"
6. What would Jean Bridelle do in the garden almost every morning?
7. Why did Judas have the right to transfer funds into his own personal account?
8. In "Grand-Lebrun," why does the narrator choose to recall his time at his former school?
9. Why did Daru feel like a lord given his meager lifestyle?
10. How does the prodigal son answer his father about his reasons for returning home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the meaning behind Dutilleul's use of a "Werewolf" as his sign. Normally, what does the werewolf symbolize as an image? What does the werewolf symbolize for Dutilleul? How do these understandings collaborate or contradict with one another? Why?
Essay Topic 2
How does the demolition of the garden affect Jean Bridelle in "The Minuet?" Although not given textually, what does the destruction of the garden represent for the older couple? How do their feelings differ? How are their feelings similar?
Essay Topic 3
Micromegas leaves the inhabitants of Earth with a book that will "answer" all of their questions. What is the relevance of the "gift" that Micromegas leaves? What does its "state" mean for the humans? For Micromegas?
This section contains 1,539 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)