|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Julian is practicing the javelin?
2. How tall are the Saturnians in "Micromegas"?
3. What is the lack of maternal love compared to in "The Rope"?
4. How does Desplein describe himself when his student questions him about attending mass?
5. Where does Julian make a name for himself while away from home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Micromegas impressed by the secretary of the Academy of Saturn?
2. What is the rich boy looking at in "The Poor Boy's Toy?"
3. What was Julian taught when he was seven-years-old?
4. What would Jean Bridelle do in the garden almost every morning?
5. What does the garden mean for the old couple in "Minuet?"
6. Explain the prophecy and circumstances about his future that Julian's father heard.
7. Describe the circumstances surrounding Julian's first murder.
8. Who cursed Julian? Why?
9. What does Jean Bridelle see the old man doing in the garden?
10. According to Jean Bridelle, in "Minuet," what is the most violent grief a man and mother can bear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Dutilleul's, from "The Passer-Through-Walls," powers. What does he choose to do with his powers? What do his choices say about him as a person? What are the results of the choices he makes? What is the impact that his choices have on others?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the prophecies that Julian's parents received about their son. How do the prophecies conflict with each other? How do they feed into each other? Which prophecy seems to be more important to each individual parent? Why? How is this typical of the times and circumstances in which the prophecy was given?
Essay Topic 3
What does the garden represent for Jean Bridelle in "The Minuet?" What does the garden represent for the old couple in the story? How are their feelings for the garden similar? How are they different?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)