|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the water carrier that Desplein knew as a young man?
2. Where is Maupassant from?
3. What is Jean Bridelle's most cherished pleasure?
4. How does Desplein describe himself when his student questions him about attending mass?
5. To whom does the narrator in " The Old Clown" compare the muscle men to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jean Bridelle describe the nursery?
2. What does the garden mean for the old couple in "Minuet?"
3. What does Jean Bridelle see the old man doing in the garden?
4. According to "The Poor Boy's Toy," how do rich children differ from poor ones?
5. Why is Micromegas' name appropriate?
6. What is the rich boy looking at in "The Poor Boy's Toy?"
7. Why is Micromegas and the Saturnian surprised by the men on the ship?
8. In "The Mass of the Atheist," why was the famous French surgeon Desplein's death upsetting, even for his enemies?
9. Describe the old clown.
10. Why was Micromegas impressed by the secretary of the Academy of Saturn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the story "The Poor Boy's Toy." What does each of the point-of-views in the story represent? What do you think that Baudelaire is trying to say? Is this story one of morality or social standing? What is the meaning behind Baudelaire's story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between the prodigal son and one of his family members from "The Return of the Prodigal Son". What is their relationship based upon? What are the problems associated with their relationship? To whom does the relationship mean more? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the imagery in the story "The Old Clown." What does the old clown represent? What does the narrator represent? What do the festivities represent? What is the main point of the story?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)