|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to "Minuet", what is the most violent loss a man can feel?
2. What does Jean Bridelle compare the nursery in Luxembourg to?
3. What story made Maupassant famous?
4. What does Julian do for the leper that he comes across at his job?
5. What is wrong with the "gift" that Micromegas gives to the humans?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the narrator shun the boy in "The Rope?"
2. According to the old couple, what is the minuet?
3. What was Julian taught when he was seven-years-old?
4. Explain the prophecy and circumstances about his future that Julian's father heard.
5. According to the editor, why is Francois Mauriac "one of the most sensitive witnesses of our threatened world?"
6. Why is Micromegas' name appropriate?
7. What does Jean Bridelle see the old man doing in the garden?
8. What is the prodigal son planning on saying to his father to get his father to accept him back?
9. Why is the eldest son harsher than the father is regarding the prodigal son?
10. Why did Judas find himself above all other of Jesus' disciples?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the demolition of the garden affect Jean Bridelle in "The Minuet?" Although not given textually, what does the destruction of the garden represent for the older couple? How do their feelings differ? How are their feelings similar?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the prophecies in "The Legend of St. Julian the Hospitaler." What were the circumstances under which each of the prophecies was given? What happened because of the prophecies? Did each of the prophecies change the receiver? How? What was the outcome of the prophecies on the story itself?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the imagery used in "The Rope." What does each of the following characters represent: The narrator; the boy; the mother; and the neighbors? What do the following items represent: the rope; the nail; and sugars and liqueurs?
This section contains 1,575 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)