|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Micromegas exiled from his home planet?
2. Who is Maupassant's godfather?
3. What did the water carrier do for Desplein when they met?
4. In "The Rope," what did the boy's mother want to see at the storyteller's home?
5. What happens when Julian is practicing the javelin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Desplein's first selfless act that Horace witnessed?
2. Why is Micromegas' name appropriate?
3. How does Jean Bridelle describe the nursery?
4. Why was Micromegas condemned?
5. Why was Micromegas impressed by the secretary of the Academy of Saturn?
6. According to the old couple, what is the minuet?
7. Explain the prophecy and circumstances that Julian's mother heard of his future in "The Legend of St. Julian Hospitaler."
8. Why are the secretary and the other men of his planet upset with the small number (72) of senses that they have in "Micromegas?"
9. What would Jean Bridelle do in the garden almost every morning?
10. Describe the old clown.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Atheist's Mass," what is the irony behind Desplein's visits to church? What do his visits say about him as a man? Do you consider Desplein a true atheist? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In "The Guest," what is the importance of Daru's isolation? How does his love of isolation speak to the meaning behind the story? How is the theme of isolation shown in a physical way? In a symbolic way? Is Daru's love of isolation the reason that he helps the Arab to escape? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the story "The Poor Boy's Toy." What does each of the point-of-views in the story represent? What do you think that Baudelaire is trying to say? Is this story one of morality or social standing? What is the meaning behind Baudelaire's story?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)