|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Rope," what did the boy's mother want to see at the storyteller's home?
2. What did the water carrier do for Desplein when they met?
3. What is Desplein renowned for in "The Mass of the Atheist"?
4. Why are people sprawled everywhere in "The Old Clown"?
5. What does Micromegas have to speak through to avoid hurting the humans' ears?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Arab being transported to another village in "The Guest?"
2. Describe Dutilleul in "The Passer-Through-Walls."
3. According to the old couple, what is the minuet?
4. Why did Judas find himself above all other of Jesus' disciples?
5. Who cursed Julian? Why?
6. Why did the narrator live in a "poetic trance" while at Grand-Lebrun?
7. Why was Micromegas impressed by the secretary of the Academy of Saturn?
8. According to Jean Bridelle, in "Minuet," what is the most violent grief a man and mother can bear?
9. Describe the type of friend that Horace Bianchon was.
10. In "Grand-Lebrun," why does the narrator choose to recall his time at his former school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Return of the Prodigal Son," whom is the most important conversation with: the father, the older brother, the mother, or the younger brother? Why do you believe that this is the most important conversation in the story? Cite specific examples from the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between the prodigal son and one of his family members from "The Return of the Prodigal Son". What is their relationship based upon? What are the problems associated with their relationship? To whom does the relationship mean more? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the imagery in the story "The Old Clown." What does the old clown represent? What does the narrator represent? What do the festivities represent? What is the main point of the story?
This section contains 1,552 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)