|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the water carrier from that Desplein treats?
2. Upon finding Earth, what does Micromegas think is the dominant life-form on Earth?
3. How many times a year does Desplein attend church?
4. What did the water carrier do for Desplein when they met?
5. What was in the wire box in the story "The Poor Boy's Toy"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the garden mean for the old couple in "Minuet?"
2. Who cursed Julian? Why?
3. What does Jean Bridelle see the old man doing in the garden?
4. Why is Horace surprised that Desplein attended a mass?
5. What would Jean Bridelle do in the garden almost every morning?
6. According to Jean Bridelle, in "Minuet," what is the most violent grief a man and mother can bear?
7. Explain the prophecy and circumstances that Julian's mother heard of his future in "The Legend of St. Julian Hospitaler."
8. Describe the circumstances surrounding Julian's first murder.
9. What is the rich boy looking at in "The Poor Boy's Toy?"
10. In "The Old Clown," why were people "sprawled everywhere?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the demolition of the garden affect Jean Bridelle in "The Minuet?" Although not given textually, what does the destruction of the garden represent for the older couple? How do their feelings differ? How are their feelings similar?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the prophecies in "The Legend of St. Julian the Hospitaler." What were the circumstances under which each of the prophecies was given? What happened because of the prophecies? Did each of the prophecies change the receiver? How? What was the outcome of the prophecies on the story itself?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the story "The Poor Boy's Toy." What does each of the point-of-views in the story represent? What do you think that Baudelaire is trying to say? Is this story one of morality or social standing? What is the meaning behind Baudelaire's story?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)