|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the little boy who is laying in the grass looking at?
2. What does Desplein claim the human body lacks?
3. According to the talking animal's prophecy, who will Julian kill?
4. Where is Maupassant from?
5. What happens when Julian is practicing the javelin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Desplein's first selfless act that Horace witnessed?
2. According to the old couple, what is the minuet?
3. Who cursed Julian? Why?
4. Explain the prophecy and circumstances about his future that Julian's father heard.
5. Why did the narrator shun the boy in "The Rope?"
6. Explain the prophecy and circumstances that Julian's mother heard of his future in "The Legend of St. Julian Hospitaler."
7. What does Jean Bridelle see the old man doing in the garden?
8. Describe the circumstances surrounding Julian's first murder.
9. What do the men on the ship tell Micromegas and the Saturnian their time is spent doing?
10. Why is Horace surprised that Desplein attended a mass?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the story "The Poor Boy's Toy." What does each of the point-of-views in the story represent? What do you think that Baudelaire is trying to say? Is this story one of morality or social standing? What is the meaning behind Baudelaire's story?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the prophecies that Julian's parents received about their son. How do the prophecies conflict with each other? How do they feed into each other? Which prophecy seems to be more important to each individual parent? Why? How is this typical of the times and circumstances in which the prophecy was given?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the meaning behind Dutilleul's use of a "Werewolf" as his sign. Normally, what does the werewolf symbolize as an image? What does the werewolf symbolize for Dutilleul? How do these understandings collaborate or contradict with one another? Why?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)