|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the little boy who is laying in the grass looking at?
2. Who is Maupassant's godfather?
3. What does Julian's wife convince him to do?
4. What is the lack of maternal love compared to in "The Rope"?
5. Where does Julian make a name for himself while away from home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the garden mean for the old couple in "Minuet?"
2. Describe the type of friend that Horace Bianchon was.
3. In "The Rope," why did the mother of the boy who committed suicide come to the narrator's home?
4. What is the rich boy looking at in "The Poor Boy's Toy?"
5. What was Desplein's first selfless act that Horace witnessed?
6. According to Jean Bridelle, in "Minuet," what is the most violent grief a man and mother can bear?
7. Why was Micromegas condemned?
8. Why is Micromegas' name appropriate?
9. Why did the narrator shun the boy in "The Rope?"
10. Describe the old clown.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Micromegas is banned from his planet for writing a heretical book. He goes on a journey that allows him to ask a very important question to the inhabitants of Earth. Why is the question so important to Micromegas? What point is he making by asking it? What is the relevance of his journey and the question?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the imagery used in "The Rope." What does each of the following characters represent: The narrator; the boy; the mother; and the neighbors? What do the following items represent: the rope; the nail; and sugars and liqueurs?
Essay Topic 3
In "The Atheist's Mass," what is the irony behind Desplein's visits to church? What do his visits say about him as a man? Do you consider Desplein a true atheist? Why or why not?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)