|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Julian's father of the prophecy of his son?
2. According to the editor in "The Poor Boy's Toy", what idea does the narrator want to convey?
3. What is wrong with the "gift" that Micromegas gives to the humans?
4. What happens to Julian's parents while they are sleeping in his wife's bed?
5. According to Jean Bridelle, in the beginning of "Minuet", what has he seen at close range?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Horace surprised that Desplein attended a mass?
2. What is the prodigal son planning on saying to his father to get his father to accept him back?
3. Why did Judas have the right to transfer funds into his own personal account?
4. What do the men on the ship tell Micromegas and the Saturnian their time is spent doing?
5. What was Desplein's first selfless act that Horace witnessed?
6. Who cursed Julian? Why?
7. How does Jean Bridelle describe the nursery?
8. What were the circumstances surrounding Dutilleul's first burglary?
9. Why did Dutilleul "show" his power to pass through walls to his superior?
10. How did the curse of the stag come to be true in "The Legend of St. Julian Hospitaler?"
Essay Topic 1
Examine the imagery in the story "The Old Clown." What does the old clown represent? What does the narrator represent? What do the festivities represent? What is the main point of the story?
Essay Topic 2
In "The Return of the Prodigal Son," whom is the most important conversation with: the father, the older brother, the mother, or the younger brother? Why do you believe that this is the most important conversation in the story? Cite specific examples from the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the imagery used in "The Rope." What does each of the following characters represent: The narrator; the boy; the mother; and the neighbors? What do the following items represent: the rope; the nail; and sugars and liqueurs?
This section contains 1,583 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)