|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are people sprawled everywhere in "The Old Clown"?
2. What is the little boy who is laying in the grass looking at?
3. What does "une maniere de sentir" mean?
4. What does Jean Bridelle compare the nursery in Luxembourg to?
5. To what does the narrator compare Desplein?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would Jean Bridelle do in the garden almost every morning?
2. Why is Micromegas' name appropriate?
3. Why was Micromegas impressed by the secretary of the Academy of Saturn?
4. What do the men on the ship tell Micromegas and the Saturnian their time is spent doing?
5. What was Desplein's first selfless act that Horace witnessed?
6. Why did people dislike Desplein?
7. How did the curse of the stag come to be true in "The Legend of St. Julian Hospitaler?"
8. What was Julian taught when he was seven-years-old?
9. Describe the old clown.
10. What does Jean Bridelle see the old man doing in the garden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the meaning behind Dutilleul's use of a "Werewolf" as his sign. Normally, what does the werewolf symbolize as an image? What does the werewolf symbolize for Dutilleul? How do these understandings collaborate or contradict with one another? Why?
Essay Topic 2
State the ironies in "The Death of Judas." Why are these examples ironic? Do they "justify" Judas' reasoning behind his decisions? How?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the prophecies in "The Legend of St. Julian the Hospitaler." What were the circumstances under which each of the prophecies was given? What happened because of the prophecies? Did each of the prophecies change the receiver? How? What was the outcome of the prophecies on the story itself?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)