|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the narrator intend to do at the old clown's booth?
2. According to the book, where were Baudelaire's most remarkable poems published?
3. What is Desplein renowned for in "The Mass of the Atheist"?
4. According to the narrator in "The Poor Boy's Toy", what have children learned to do?
5. How long has the Saturnian, who accompanies Micromegas on his journey, been married?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Horace surprised that Desplein attended a mass?
2. How did the curse of the stag come to be true in "The Legend of St. Julian Hospitaler?"
3. Why did Daru feel like a lord given his meager lifestyle?
4. Why does the prodigal son's older brother claim to be different from the prodigal son?
5. What is the rich boy looking at in "The Poor Boy's Toy?"
6. How does Dutilleul come to find out about his power?
7. What does the garden mean for the old couple in "Minuet?"
8. According to Judas, how is a paralytic described after he has been cured?
9. What would Jean Bridelle do in the garden almost every morning?
10. Why was Micromegas impressed by the secretary of the Academy of Saturn?
Essay Topic 1
How does the demolition of the garden affect Jean Bridelle in "The Minuet?" Although not given textually, what does the destruction of the garden represent for the older couple? How do their feelings differ? How are their feelings similar?
Essay Topic 2
State the ironies in "The Death of Judas." Why are these examples ironic? Do they "justify" Judas' reasoning behind his decisions? How?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the imagery in the story "The Old Clown." What does the old clown represent? What does the narrator represent? What do the festivities represent? What is the main point of the story?
This section contains 1,589 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)