|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Desplein answer when his student questions his belief and actions?
2. What was in the wire box in the story "The Poor Boy's Toy"?
3. Where does Julian make a name for himself while away from home?
4. Why is Desplein's student surprised by Desplein's actions toward the water carrier?
5. What is the lack of maternal love compared to in "The Rope"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Micromegas condemned?
2. Why did people dislike Desplein?
3. Explain the prophecy and circumstances that Julian's mother heard of his future in "The Legend of St. Julian Hospitaler."
4. Describe the type of friend that Horace Bianchon was.
5. Who cursed Julian? Why?
6. How does Jean Bridelle describe the nursery?
7. What does the garden mean for the old couple in "Minuet?"
8. Why is Micromegas' name appropriate?
9. According to "The Poor Boy's Toy," how do rich children differ from poor ones?
10. What was Julian taught when he was seven-years-old?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the garden represent for Jean Bridelle in "The Minuet?" What does the garden represent for the old couple in the story? How are their feelings for the garden similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
In "The Return of the Prodigal Son," discuss the multiple reasons the prodigal son gives for returning home. Which reason do you believe is the real reason for the prodigal son's return? Do you believe he omitted the real reason for his return? Cite specific examples from the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
In "The Atheist's Mass," what is the irony behind Desplein's visits to church? What do his visits say about him as a man? Do you consider Desplein a true atheist? Why or why not?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)