|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are people sprawled everywhere in "The Old Clown"?
2. Who does Jean Bridelle meet in the garden?
3. What did Desplein do to honor the water carrier as a man?
4. What has happened to Julian's parents since he left them and married?
5. How tall is Micromegas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who cursed Julian? Why?
2. What does the garden mean for the old couple in "Minuet?"
3. Explain the prophecy and circumstances that Julian's mother heard of his future in "The Legend of St. Julian Hospitaler."
4. What would Jean Bridelle do in the garden almost every morning?
5. Why is Micromegas and the Saturnian surprised by the men on the ship?
6. According to Jean Bridelle, in "Minuet," what is the most violent grief a man and mother can bear?
7. How did the curse of the stag come to be true in "The Legend of St. Julian Hospitaler?"
8. Describe the type of friend that Horace Bianchon was.
9. Why are the secretary and the other men of his planet upset with the small number (72) of senses that they have in "Micromegas?"
10. Describe how Desplein saw the earth.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Guest," what is the importance of Daru's isolation? How does his love of isolation speak to the meaning behind the story? How is the theme of isolation shown in a physical way? In a symbolic way? Is Daru's love of isolation the reason that he helps the Arab to escape? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the meaning behind Dutilleul's use of a "Werewolf" as his sign. Normally, what does the werewolf symbolize as an image? What does the werewolf symbolize for Dutilleul? How do these understandings collaborate or contradict with one another? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Micromegas is banned from his planet for writing a heretical book. He goes on a journey that allows him to ask a very important question to the inhabitants of Earth. Why is the question so important to Micromegas? What point is he making by asking it? What is the relevance of his journey and the question?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)