|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What planet is Micromegas from?
2. According to "Minuet", what is the most violent loss a mother can feel?
3. What is the profession of the person described in "The Rope"?
4. What is the name of Desplein's brightest student?
5. How many times a year does Desplein attend church?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Rope," why did the mother of the boy who committed suicide come to the narrator's home?
2. In "The Old Clown," why were people "sprawled everywhere?"
3. What was Julian taught when he was seven-years-old?
4. Who cursed Julian? Why?
5. How does Jean Bridelle describe the nursery?
6. Why is Micromegas and the Saturnian surprised by the men on the ship?
7. According to "The Poor Boy's Toy," how do rich children differ from poor ones?
8. What is the rich boy looking at in "The Poor Boy's Toy?"
9. Explain the prophecy and circumstances about his future that Julian's father heard.
10. What does the garden mean for the old couple in "Minuet?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the story "The Guest," who is the guest: Daru; Balducci; or the Arab? Why do you believe so? Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the imagery in the story "The Old Clown." What does the old clown represent? What does the narrator represent? What do the festivities represent? What is the main point of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Dutilleul's, from "The Passer-Through-Walls," powers. What does he choose to do with his powers? What do his choices say about him as a person? What are the results of the choices he makes? What is the impact that his choices have on others?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)