|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does the narrator in " The Old Clown" compare the muscle men to?
2. According to the editor, what role does Maupassant play as a writer?
3. What is the prophecy that Julian's mother hears about her son's future?
4. Who are Julian's parents in "The Legend of St. Julian Hospitaler"?
5. Who does Micromegas first talk to about the existence of a human soul?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Old Clown," why were people "sprawled everywhere?"
2. Why is Micromegas and the Saturnian surprised by the men on the ship?
3. Describe the circumstances surrounding Julian's first murder.
4. What was Desplein's first selfless act that Horace witnessed?
5. Why are the secretary and the other men of his planet upset with the small number (72) of senses that they have in "Micromegas?"
6. Why is Horace surprised that Desplein attended a mass?
7. What does the garden mean for the old couple in "Minuet?"
8. Who cursed Julian? Why?
9. In "The Mass of the Atheist," why was the famous French surgeon Desplein's death upsetting, even for his enemies?
10. How does Jean Bridelle describe the nursery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Dutilleul's, from "The Passer-Through-Walls," powers. What does he choose to do with his powers? What do his choices say about him as a person? What are the results of the choices he makes? What is the impact that his choices have on others?
Essay Topic 2
Micromegas leaves the inhabitants of Earth with a book that will "answer" all of their questions. What is the relevance of the "gift" that Micromegas leaves? What does its "state" mean for the humans? For Micromegas?
Essay Topic 3
In "The Return of the Prodigal Son," discuss the multiple reasons the prodigal son gives for returning home. Which reason do you believe is the real reason for the prodigal son's return? Do you believe he omitted the real reason for his return? Cite specific examples from the text to support your response.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)