|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "une maniere de sentir" mean?
2. How long has the Saturnian, who accompanies Micromegas on his journey, been married?
3. How long is Micromegas' term of exile?
4. What does Julian do for the leper that he comes across at his job?
5. What does Jean Bridelle compare the nursery in Luxembourg to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the men on the ship tell Micromegas and the Saturnian their time is spent doing?
2. How did the curse of the stag come to be true in "The Legend of St. Julian Hospitaler?"
3. In "The Old Clown," why were people "sprawled everywhere?"
4. Describe how Desplein saw the earth.
5. According to the old couple, what is the minuet?
6. In "The Mass of the Atheist," why was the famous French surgeon Desplein's death upsetting, even for his enemies?
7. Explain the prophecy and circumstances that Julian's mother heard of his future in "The Legend of St. Julian Hospitaler."
8. Why is Micromegas' name appropriate?
9. Why is Horace surprised that Desplein attended a mass?
10. What does the garden mean for the old couple in "Minuet?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the prophecies that Julian's parents received about their son. How do the prophecies conflict with each other? How do they feed into each other? Which prophecy seems to be more important to each individual parent? Why? How is this typical of the times and circumstances in which the prophecy was given?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the story "The Poor Boy's Toy." What does each of the point-of-views in the story represent? What do you think that Baudelaire is trying to say? Is this story one of morality or social standing? What is the meaning behind Baudelaire's story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the prophecies in "The Legend of St. Julian the Hospitaler." What were the circumstances under which each of the prophecies was given? What happened because of the prophecies? Did each of the prophecies change the receiver? How? What was the outcome of the prophecies on the story itself?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)