Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Baudelaire die?
2. To what does the narrator compare Desplein?
3. What did Desplein do to honor the water carrier as a man?
4. What religion does Desplein practice?
5. Who is Maupassant's godfather?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the garden mean for the old couple in "Minuet?"
2. According to Jean Bridelle, in "Minuet," what is the most violent grief a man and mother can bear?
3. Why did Daru have bags of wheat in the schoolhouse?
4. Why did Dutilleul "show" his power to pass through walls to his superior?
5. What did Dutilleul's coworkers do when they found out that he was the "Werewolf?"
6. Why was Micromegas condemned?
7. Why does Daru believe that Balducci is playing a joke on him when he tells Daru of the order for Daru to transport the Arab?
8. Describe how Desplein saw the earth.
9. Why did people dislike Desplein?
10. Describe Dutilleul in "The Passer-Through-Walls."
Compare and contrast the prophecies that Julian's parents received about their son. How do the prophecies conflict with each other? How do they feed into each other? Which prophecy seems to be more important to each individual parent? Why? How is this typical of the times and circumstances in which the prophecy was given?
In "The Return of the Prodigal Son," whom is the most important conversation with: the father, the older brother, the mother, or the younger brother? Why do you believe that this is the most important conversation in the story? Cite specific examples from the text to support your response.
In "The Return of the Prodigal Son," discuss the multiple reasons the prodigal son gives for returning home. Which reason do you believe is the real reason for the prodigal son's return? Do you believe he omitted the real reason for his return? Cite specific examples from the text to support your response.
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)