|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Baudelaire die?
2. To what does the narrator compare Desplein?
3. What did Desplein do to honor the water carrier as a man?
4. What religion does Desplein practice?
5. Who is Maupassant's godfather?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the garden mean for the old couple in "Minuet?"
2. According to Jean Bridelle, in "Minuet," what is the most violent grief a man and mother can bear?
3. Why did Daru have bags of wheat in the schoolhouse?
4. Why did Dutilleul "show" his power to pass through walls to his superior?
5. What did Dutilleul's coworkers do when they found out that he was the "Werewolf?"
6. Why was Micromegas condemned?
7. Why does Daru believe that Balducci is playing a joke on him when he tells Daru of the order for Daru to transport the Arab?
8. Describe how Desplein saw the earth.
9. Why did people dislike Desplein?
10. Describe Dutilleul in "The Passer-Through-Walls."
Essay Topic 1
In "The Return of the Prodigal Son," whom is the most important conversation with: the father, the older brother, the mother, or the younger brother? Why do you believe that this is the most important conversation in the story? Cite specific examples from the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
How does the demolition of the garden affect Jean Bridelle in "The Minuet?" Although not given textually, what does the destruction of the garden represent for the older couple? How do their feelings differ? How are their feelings similar?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one character from one of the stories. Who is this character? What does the story tell readers specifically about the character? What must readers infer about the character? What are the characters strengths and weaknesses? What conflict does the character face? What does the character learn or refuse to learn? What do the character's decisions tall readers about the character?
This section contains 1,509 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)