|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Julian is out hunting one day, what animal gains the power to speak to him?
2. How old is Jean Bridelle?
3. According to the narrator in "The Poor Boy's Toy", what have children learned to do?
4. Who does Jean Bridelle meet in the garden?
5. What is the Emperor's name who Julian frees from the Muslims?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Micromegas' name appropriate?
2. Why was Micromegas impressed by the secretary of the Academy of Saturn?
3. In "The Rope," why did the mother of the boy who committed suicide come to the narrator's home?
4. What do the men on the ship tell Micromegas and the Saturnian their time is spent doing?
5. Why is Horace surprised that Desplein attended a mass?
6. Explain the prophecy and circumstances about his future that Julian's father heard.
7. Why are the secretary and the other men of his planet upset with the small number (72) of senses that they have in "Micromegas?"
8. Why was Micromegas condemned?
9. Describe the type of friend that Horace Bianchon was.
10. What does the garden mean for the old couple in "Minuet?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the story "The Poor Boy's Toy." What does each of the point-of-views in the story represent? What do you think that Baudelaire is trying to say? Is this story one of morality or social standing? What is the meaning behind Baudelaire's story?
Essay Topic 2
Choose three of the stories using the obstacles that the main character faces. What are the obstacles? What are the choices the main character has? What does the main character choose to do? Is the decision moral/just or not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Dutilleul's, from "The Passer-Through-Walls," powers. What does he choose to do with his powers? What do his choices say about him as a person? What are the results of the choices he makes? What is the impact that his choices have on others?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)