Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Baudelaire die?
2. To what does the narrator compare Desplein?
3. What did Desplein do to honor the water carrier as a man?
4. What religion does Desplein practice?
5. Who is Maupassant's godfather?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the garden mean for the old couple in "Minuet?"
2. According to Jean Bridelle, in "Minuet," what is the most violent grief a man and mother can bear?
3. Why did Daru have bags of wheat in the schoolhouse?
4. Why did Dutilleul "show" his power to pass through walls to his superior?
5. What did Dutilleul's coworkers do when they found out that he was the "Werewolf?"
6. Why was Micromegas condemned?
7. Why does Daru believe that Balducci is playing a joke on him when he tells Daru of the order for Daru to transport the Arab?
8. Describe how Desplein saw the earth.
9. Why did people dislike Desplein?
10. Describe Dutilleul in "The Passer-Through-Walls."
Essay Topic 1
Micromegas leaves the inhabitants of Earth with a book that will "answer" all of their questions. What is the relevance of the "gift" that Micromegas leaves? What does its "state" mean for the humans? For Micromegas?
Essay Topic 2
Micromegas is banned from his planet for writing a heretical book. He goes on a journey that allows him to ask a very important question to the inhabitants of Earth. Why is the question so important to Micromegas? What point is he making by asking it? What is the relevance of his journey and the question?
Essay Topic 3
In "The Guest," what is the importance of Daru's isolation? How does his love of isolation speak to the meaning behind the story? How is the theme of isolation shown in a physical way? In a symbolic way? Is Daru's love of isolation the reason that he helps the Arab to escape? Why or why not?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)