|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Desplein do to honor the water carrier's soul?
2. What happens to Julian's parents while they are sleeping in his wife's bed?
3. In "The Rope," what did the boy's mother want to see at the storyteller's home?
4. What does Julian vow never to do after hearing the talking animal's prophecy?
5. In "The Rope," what did the storyteller ask of the parents of the boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the garden mean for the old couple in "Minuet?"
2. Describe the old clown.
3. Why did the narrator shun the boy in "The Rope?"
4. Explain the prophecy and circumstances that Julian's mother heard of his future in "The Legend of St. Julian Hospitaler."
5. Describe the type of friend that Horace Bianchon was.
6. What was Julian taught when he was seven-years-old?
7. Describe the circumstances surrounding Julian's first murder.
8. Why was Micromegas impressed by the secretary of the Academy of Saturn?
9. According to Jean Bridelle, in "Minuet," what is the most violent grief a man and mother can bear?
10. What would Jean Bridelle do in the garden almost every morning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Micromegas leaves the inhabitants of Earth with a book that will "answer" all of their questions. What is the relevance of the "gift" that Micromegas leaves? What does its "state" mean for the humans? For Micromegas?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the prophecies in "The Legend of St. Julian the Hospitaler." What were the circumstances under which each of the prophecies was given? What happened because of the prophecies? Did each of the prophecies change the receiver? How? What was the outcome of the prophecies on the story itself?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Dutilleul's, from "The Passer-Through-Walls," powers. What does he choose to do with his powers? What do his choices say about him as a person? What are the results of the choices he makes? What is the impact that his choices have on others?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)