|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Julian take after leaving his wife?
2. To whom does the narrator in " The Old Clown" compare the muscle men to?
3. What does "une maniere de sentir" mean?
4. According to the talking animal's prophecy, who will Julian kill?
5. Who does Micromegas first talk to about the existence of a human soul?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Desplein saw the earth.
2. In "The Rope," why did the mother of the boy who committed suicide come to the narrator's home?
3. Why did people dislike Desplein?
4. What was Julian taught when he was seven-years-old?
5. What was Desplein's first selfless act that Horace witnessed?
6. In "The Old Clown," why were people "sprawled everywhere?"
7. What does Jean Bridelle see the old man doing in the garden?
8. Describe the old clown.
9. Why is Micromegas and the Saturnian surprised by the men on the ship?
10. According to "The Poor Boy's Toy," how do rich children differ from poor ones?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the prophecies that Julian's parents received about their son. How do the prophecies conflict with each other? How do they feed into each other? Which prophecy seems to be more important to each individual parent? Why? How is this typical of the times and circumstances in which the prophecy was given?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the story "The Poor Boy's Toy." What does each of the point-of-views in the story represent? What do you think that Baudelaire is trying to say? Is this story one of morality or social standing? What is the meaning behind Baudelaire's story?
Essay Topic 3
In "The Guest," what is the importance of Daru's isolation? How does his love of isolation speak to the meaning behind the story? How is the theme of isolation shown in a physical way? In a symbolic way? Is Daru's love of isolation the reason that he helps the Arab to escape? Why or why not?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)