|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Desplein do to honor the water carrier as a man?
2. While Julian is out hunting one day, what animal gains the power to speak to him?
3. What is the prophecy that Julian's mother hears about her son's future?
4. How long has the Saturnian, who accompanies Micromegas on his journey, been married?
5. What happened to the boy while the storyteller from "The Rope" was away on business?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the old clown.
2. Explain the prophecy and circumstances that Julian's mother heard of his future in "The Legend of St. Julian Hospitaler."
3. How did the curse of the stag come to be true in "The Legend of St. Julian Hospitaler?"
4. Explain the prophecy and circumstances about his future that Julian's father heard.
5. What was Desplein's first selfless act that Horace witnessed?
6. What does Jean Bridelle see the old man doing in the garden?
7. In "The Rope," why did the mother of the boy who committed suicide come to the narrator's home?
8. In "The Old Clown," why were people "sprawled everywhere?"
9. In "The Mass of the Atheist," why was the famous French surgeon Desplein's death upsetting, even for his enemies?
10. Who cursed Julian? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Return of the Prodigal Son," whom is the most important conversation with: the father, the older brother, the mother, or the younger brother? Why do you believe that this is the most important conversation in the story? Cite specific examples from the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the imagery in the story "The Old Clown." What does the old clown represent? What does the narrator represent? What do the festivities represent? What is the main point of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the meaning behind Dutilleul's use of a "Werewolf" as his sign. Normally, what does the werewolf symbolize as an image? What does the werewolf symbolize for Dutilleul? How do these understandings collaborate or contradict with one another? Why?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)