|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the editor in "The Poor Boy's Toy", what idea does the narrator want to convey?
2. What is the little boy who is laying in the grass looking at?
3. What is the name of one of the philosophers that the men give to Micromegas in response to a human's soul?
4. What job does Julian take after leaving his wife?
5. Why are adults celebrating in "The Old Clown"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jean Bridelle see the old man doing in the garden?
2. Describe the circumstances surrounding Julian's first murder.
3. Describe how Desplein saw the earth.
4. What does the garden mean for the old couple in "Minuet?"
5. What was Desplein's first selfless act that Horace witnessed?
6. What do the men on the ship tell Micromegas and the Saturnian their time is spent doing?
7. Explain the prophecy and circumstances about his future that Julian's father heard.
8. What is the rich boy looking at in "The Poor Boy's Toy?"
9. In "The Rope," why did the mother of the boy who committed suicide come to the narrator's home?
10. Why was Micromegas condemned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the story "The Guest," who is the guest: Daru; Balducci; or the Arab? Why do you believe so? Cite specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the prophecies that Julian's parents received about their son. How do the prophecies conflict with each other? How do they feed into each other? Which prophecy seems to be more important to each individual parent? Why? How is this typical of the times and circumstances in which the prophecy was given?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the imagery in the story "The Old Clown." What does the old clown represent? What does the narrator represent? What do the festivities represent? What is the main point of the story?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)