Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Baudelaire die?
2. To what does the narrator compare Desplein?
3. What did Desplein do to honor the water carrier as a man?
4. What religion does Desplein practice?
5. Who is Maupassant's godfather?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the garden mean for the old couple in "Minuet?"
2. According to Jean Bridelle, in "Minuet," what is the most violent grief a man and mother can bear?
3. Why did Daru have bags of wheat in the schoolhouse?
4. Why did Dutilleul "show" his power to pass through walls to his superior?
5. What did Dutilleul's coworkers do when they found out that he was the "Werewolf?"
6. Why was Micromegas condemned?
7. Why does Daru believe that Balducci is playing a joke on him when he tells Daru of the order for Daru to transport the Arab?
8. Describe how Desplein saw the earth.
9. Why did people dislike Desplein?
10. Describe Dutilleul in "The Passer-Through-Walls."
Essay Topic 1
Choose three of the stories using the obstacles that the main character faces. What are the obstacles? What are the choices the main character has? What does the main character choose to do? Is the decision moral/just or not?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the story "The Poor Boy's Toy." What does each of the point-of-views in the story represent? What do you think that Baudelaire is trying to say? Is this story one of morality or social standing? What is the meaning behind Baudelaire's story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between the prodigal son and one of his family members from "The Return of the Prodigal Son". What is their relationship based upon? What are the problems associated with their relationship? To whom does the relationship mean more? Why?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)