|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the father, who will not be able to sleep because of the prodigal son's return?
(b) The younger brother.
(c) The older brother.
2. Why does Judas say he did what he did to Jesus?
(a) He was tired of Jesus looking over him.
(b) He wanted to see what "He" was up to.
(c) He wanted to gain a higher position with the Romans.
(d) He wanted the silver.
3. What is the prodigal son's mother afraid of?
(a) The oldest son leaving.
(b) The youngest son leaving.
(c) The prodigal son leaving again.
(d) The father leaving.
4. In "The Passer-Through-Walls", how long does the main character meditate before bed every night?
(a) One hour.
(b) 30 minutes.
(c) 45 minutes.
(d) 15 minutes.
5. What does the following line by Rimbaud mean: mais vous j'ai trop pleure, les aubes sont navrantes?
(a) "But you cannot be happy, you babes of nativity."
(b) "But you have too much crying, the blades are heartbreaking."
(c) "Always be happy, you never be sad."
(d) "Care for those around you, and only those."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Judas "it is expedient for you that one man should die for the people"?
2. To which direction do Daru's classroom windows open?
3. What have American reviewers of translations called Ayme?
4. What is the name of the horseman that Daru recognizes approaching the schoolhouse?
5. Where was Albert Camus born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Judas have the right to transfer funds into his own personal account?
2. What happened to Dutilleul's superior because of the scare that Dutilleul gave him?
3. Why did Judas find himself above all other of Jesus' disciples?
4. According to the editor, why is Francois Mauriac "one of the most sensitive witnesses of our threatened world?"
5. Why did Daru feel like a lord given his meager lifestyle?
6. What were the circumstances surrounding Dutilleul's first burglary?
7. Describe the sight in "The Guest" that Daru witnessed while he watched the two men come up the mountain to the schoolhouse.
8. How does the prodigal son answer his father about his reasons for returning home?
9. Who was "caught" by Jesus, according to Judas?
10. Why does Daru believe that Balducci is playing a joke on him when he tells Daru of the order for Daru to transport the Arab?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)