|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the following line by Rimbaud mean: mais vous j'ai trop pleure, les aubes sont navrantes?
(a) "Always be happy, you never be sad."
(b) "But you have too much crying, the blades are heartbreaking."
(c) "Care for those around you, and only those."
(d) "But you cannot be happy, you babes of nativity."
2. Who spoke the following quote about Mauriac: "God is not an artist, and neither is M. Mauriac"?
3. What animal's hormones does the doctor prescribe the main character in "The Passer-Through-Walls"?
4. In "Grand-Lebrun", when does a child's heart become used to looking for God?
(a) When it is soft.
(b) When it is warmed.
(c) When it is frozen.
(d) When it is light.
5. What is the first facial feature that Daru notices about the Arab?
(a) His lips.
(b) His teeth.
(c) His eyes.
(d) His nose.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Francois Mauriac win the Nobel Peace Prize?
2. What is the name of the horseman that Daru recognizes approaching the schoolhouse?
3. In "The Passer-Through-Walls", how long does the main character meditate before bed every night?
4. According to the editor, in what genre does Ayme fail to be successful?
5. What story made Judas want to hide?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the editor, why is Francois Mauriac "one of the most sensitive witnesses of our threatened world?"
2. What is the prodigal son planning on saying to his father to get his father to accept him back?
3. Why did Dutilleul "show" his power to pass through walls to his superior?
4. Why does the prodigal son's older brother claim to be different from the prodigal son?
5. Why did Daru have bags of wheat in the schoolhouse?
6. How does Dutilleul come to find out about his power?
7. Describe Dutilleul in "The Passer-Through-Walls."
8. Why did the narrator live in a "poetic trance" while at Grand-Lebrun?
9. How does the prodigal son answer his father about his reasons for returning home?
10. Why did Judas find himself above all other of Jesus' disciples?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)