|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Grand-Lebrun", when does a child's heart become used to looking for God?
(a) When it is frozen.
(b) When it is warmed.
(c) When it is soft.
(d) When it is light.
2. How does the prodigal son think that his father will react to his return?
(a) He will forget both of his other sons and give the remaining money to the prodigal son.
(b) He will punish him harshly.
(c) He will welcome him into the home.
(d) He will turn him away.
3. In what year did Camus receive the Nobel Peace Prize?
4. According to the editor, in what genre does Ayme fail to be successful?
(a) Pure fantasy.
(d) Love stories.
5. Who did Gide dedicate "The Return of the Prodigal Son" to?
(a) Charles-Louis Philippe.
(b) Francis James.
(c) Arthur Fontaine.
(d) Paul Claudel.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Grand-Lebrun", what color are the tiles of the school floor?
2. Where must Daru take the Arab?
3. In "The Passer-Through-Walls", what name did the main character give himself during his thievery?
4. After 1948, to what writing genre did Ayme devote most of his talent toward?
5. How long did Gide spend writing "The Return of the Prodigal Son"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Judas claim that all young people should come and gaze upon his dead body?
2. According to the narrator in "Grand-Lebrun," what causes children to look for God?
3. Why was a fire only kept in the dining room and in the room of the narrator's mother in "Grand-Lebrun?"
4. In "Grand-Lebrun," why does the narrator choose to recall his time at his former school?
5. In "Grand-Lebrun," describe the "little old women" in the narrator's story.
6. Why is the eldest son harsher than the father is regarding the prodigal son?
7. What were the circumstances surrounding Dutilleul's first burglary?
8. Why did Daru feel like a lord given his meager lifestyle?
9. Describe the sight in "The Guest" that Daru witnessed while he watched the two men come up the mountain to the schoolhouse.
10. What did Dutilleul's coworkers do when they found out that he was the "Werewolf?"
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)