|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To which direction do Daru's classroom windows open?
2. What did the prodigal son change his father's gold into?
3. In "The Passer-Through-Walls", what name did the main character give himself during his thievery?
(a) "The Fox."
(b) "The Storm."
(c) "The Ghost."
(d) "The Werewolf."
4. What is the nearest village to Daru's schoolhouse?
(c) Monte Pire.
5. What is happening to Judas during "Mort de Judas"?
(a) Judas is tending to his duties as a disciple.
(b) Judas is accepting his 30 pieces of silver.
(c) Judas is hanging himself.
(d) Judas is watching Jesus be arrested.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time was recess at Grand-Lebrun?
2. Why does Judas say he did what he did to Jesus?
3. What does the following line by Rimbaud mean: mais vous j'ai trop pleure, les aubes sont navrantes?
4. What did Mauriac sometimes consider himself?
5. Who designed the statue of Jupiter in "The Death of Judas"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the prodigal son's older brother claim to be different from the prodigal son?
2. What is the prodigal son planning on saying to his father to get his father to accept him back?
3. In "Grand-Lebrun," why does the narrator choose to recall his time at his former school?
4. According to the editor, why is Francois Mauriac "one of the most sensitive witnesses of our threatened world?"
5. What does Daru do with the Arab at the end of the story?
6. According to the narrator in "Grand-Lebrun," what causes children to look for God?
7. Why did the narrator live in a "poetic trance" while at Grand-Lebrun?
8. Why does Judas claim that all young people should come and gaze upon his dead body?
9. What did Dutilleul's coworkers do when they found out that he was the "Werewolf?"
10. Why did Daru feel like a lord given his meager lifestyle?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)