|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the editor's biography of Mauriac, what does Mauriac consider himself the last of?
(a) Atheist writers in France.
(b) Catholic writers in France.
(c) Methodist writers in Prague.
(d) Baptist writers in Prague.
2. How many times did the main character put his head through the wall to frighten his boss on the first day?
3. Why does the eldest son say he is different from the prodigal son?
(a) The oldest son only wishes he could leave.
(b) The oldest son has no honor.
(c) The oldest son has pride.
(d) The oldest son lives by order.
4. In "The Return of the Prodigal Son", how does Gide describe his literary work?
(a) As a reflection in a mirror.
(b) As a truth.
(c) As a painting.
(d) As a heresy.
5. What is the first facial feature that Daru notices about the Arab?
(a) His teeth.
(b) His eyes.
(c) His nose.
(d) His lips.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Mauriac live as a child?
2. In what year was "Mort de Judas" published?
3. How many years was Judas in the service of Jesus?
4. What was Camus' occupation at the beginning of the war?
5. In what year did Francois Mauriac win the Nobel Peace Prize?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Daru feel like a lord given his meager lifestyle?
2. Who was "caught" by Jesus, according to Judas?
3. What did Dutilleul's coworkers do when they found out that he was the "Werewolf?"
4. What is the prodigal son planning on saying to his father to get his father to accept him back?
5. Why does Daru believe that Balducci is playing a joke on him when he tells Daru of the order for Daru to transport the Arab?
6. According to the narrator in "Grand-Lebrun," what causes children to look for God?
7. Why did Dutilleul "show" his power to pass through walls to his superior?
8. Describe the sight in "The Guest" that Daru witnessed while he watched the two men come up the mountain to the schoolhouse.
9. What happened to Dutilleul's superior because of the scare that Dutilleul gave him?
10. Why did Judas find himself above all other of Jesus' disciples?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)