|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Jean Bridelle, in the beginning of "Minuet", what has he seen at close range?
2. What happens when Julian is practicing the javelin?
(a) He almost kils himself.
(b) He almost kills his son.
(c) He almost kills his father.
(d) He almost kills his mother.
3. What does Desplein's student do when he follows Desplein into church?
(a) Tells the priest that Desplein does not belong in the church.
(b) Goes into confession.
(c) Hides in the back of the church.
(d) Kneels by him.
4. How does Desplein describe himself when his student questions him about attending mass?
(a) He is a religiously confused man with a God-owned soul.
(b) He is externally atheistic but internally religious.
(c) He is externally religious but internally atheistic.
(d) He is a freak of biblical proportions.
5. In "The Rope," what did the storyteller ask of the parents of the boy?
(a) To let the boy live with him and go to school.
(b) To let the boy marry his daughter and live with him.
(c) To let him have their son.
(d) To have them murder their son.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the talking animal's prophecy, who will Julian kill?
2. To whom does the narrator in " The Old Clown" compare the muscle men to?
3. Who is Maupassant's godfather?
4. What did the narrator intend to do at the old clown's booth?
5. How tall are the Saturnians in "Micromegas"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the garden mean for the old couple in "Minuet?"
2. Why did people dislike Desplein?
3. Why was Micromegas impressed by the secretary of the Academy of Saturn?
4. According to the old couple, what is the minuet?
5. Why is Horace surprised that Desplein attended a mass?
6. Describe the type of friend that Horace Bianchon was.
7. Explain the prophecy and circumstances that Julian's mother heard of his future in "The Legend of St. Julian Hospitaler."
8. Describe how Desplein saw the earth.
9. What do the men on the ship tell Micromegas and the Saturnian their time is spent doing?
10. In "The Rope," why did the mother of the boy who committed suicide come to the narrator's home?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)