|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the lack of maternal love compared to in "The Rope"?
(a) A mountain without snow.
(b) A sky without stars.
(c) A light without heat.
(d) A lake without fish.
2. What does Micromegas have to speak through to avoid hurting the humans' ears?
(a) A pillow.
(b) A balloon.
(c) A toothpick.
(d) A flower.
3. While Julian is out hunting one day, what animal gains the power to speak to him?
(a) A lion.
(b) A bear.
(c) A stag.
(d) A moose.
4. What did the water carrier do for Desplein when they met?
(a) Told Desplein that he would never amount to anything.
(b) Turned Desplein in because he was wanted by the police.
(c) Paid for one meal.
(d) Paid his rent.
5. In what year was "Minuet" first published?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Rope," what did the boy's mother want to see at the storyteller's home?
2. What is Thomas Aquinas known for writing in "Micromegas"?
3. What is wrong with the "gift" that Micromegas gives to the humans?
4. Where does Micromegas finally find human life-forms?
5. Why is Desplein's student surprised by Desplein's actions toward the water carrier?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the rich boy looking at in "The Poor Boy's Toy?"
2. Why was Micromegas condemned?
3. Why are the secretary and the other men of his planet upset with the small number (72) of senses that they have in "Micromegas?"
4. According to the old couple, what is the minuet?
5. What does the garden mean for the old couple in "Minuet?"
6. Describe the circumstances surrounding Julian's first murder.
7. Why is Micromegas' name appropriate?
8. Describe the type of friend that Horace Bianchon was.
9. What was Desplein's first selfless act that Horace witnessed?
10. Why did people dislike Desplein?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)