|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What religion was the water carrier that Desplein knew as a young man?
2. What does Desplein answer when his student questions his belief and actions?
(a) That they do not balance.
(b) That it is none of his business.
(c) That they balance completely.
(d) That it is not for him to judge him.
3. What job does Julian take after leaving his wife?
(a) A fishing net mender.
(b) A job helping homeless men.
(c) A fisherman.
(d) A job ferrying people across a lake.
4. According to the narrator in "The Poor Boy's Toy", what have children learned to do?
(a) Love unintentionally.
(b) Trust everyone.
(c) Distrust man.
5. Where was "Minuet" first published?
(a) Almanach des Muses.
(b) Le Gaulois.
(d) Journal des débats.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the water carrier that Desplein knew as a young man?
2. How old is Jean Bridelle?
3. What does Micromegas decide to do with his time of exile?
4. What does Julian do for the leper that he comes across at his job?
5. What is the Emperor's name who Julian frees from the Muslims?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jean Bridelle see the old man doing in the garden?
2. Who cursed Julian? Why?
3. What was Julian taught when he was seven-years-old?
4. Why are the secretary and the other men of his planet upset with the small number (72) of senses that they have in "Micromegas?"
5. Why is Micromegas and the Saturnian surprised by the men on the ship?
6. In "The Old Clown," why were people "sprawled everywhere?"
7. According to Jean Bridelle, in "Minuet," what is the most violent grief a man and mother can bear?
8. Describe the circumstances surrounding Julian's first murder.
9. Explain the prophecy and circumstances about his future that Julian's father heard.
10. Why did the narrator shun the boy in "The Rope?"
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)