|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the narrator in "The Poor Boy's Toy", what have children learned to do?
(a) Distrust man.
(b) Love unintentionally.
(c) Trust everyone.
2. Who tells Julian's father of the prophecy of his son?
(a) A homeless hermit.
(b) An angel.
(c) A demon.
(d) A strange beggar.
3. According to "Minuet", what is the most violent loss a mother can feel?
(a) The loss of a parent.
(b) The loss of a child.
(c) The loss of a spouse.
(d) The loss of a sibling.
4. In what year was "Minuet" first published?
5. According to the editor, what role does Maupassant play as a writer?
(b) Guichets mythe or myth teller.
(c) Conteur-observer and storyteller.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Julian take after leaving his wife?
2. In "The Rope," what did the storyteller ask of the parents of the boy?
3. What is laying on the grass next to the boy behind the iron gate?
4. What happened to the boy while the storyteller from "The Rope" was away on business?
5. What must Micromegas use to see life on Earth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Micromegas condemned?
2. In "The Old Clown," why were people "sprawled everywhere?"
3. Why is Horace surprised that Desplein attended a mass?
4. Why is the Arab being transported to another village in "The Guest?"
5. How does the prodigal son answer his father about his reasons for returning home?
6. What was Desplein's first selfless act that Horace witnessed?
7. What does the garden mean for the old couple in "Minuet?"
8. How did the curse of the stag come to be true in "The Legend of St. Julian Hospitaler?"
9. In "The Rope," why did the mother of the boy who committed suicide come to the narrator's home?
10. Why did Daru have bags of wheat in the schoolhouse?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)