|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the book, where were Baudelaire's most remarkable poems published?
(a) "Les Fluers du Mal".
(b) "La Revue des Deux Mondes".
(c) "Blanche Carte".
(d) "De Noire Pomme de Terre".
2. According to the talking animal's prophecy, who will Julian kill?
(a) His parents.
(b) His father.
(c) His son.
(d) His mother.
3. What does Julian vow never to do after hearing the talking animal's prophecy?
(a) Leave his father's side.
(c) Leave his mother's side.
4. What does Desplein's student do when he follows Desplein into church?
(a) Hides in the back of the church.
(b) Goes into confession.
(c) Kneels by him.
(d) Tells the priest that Desplein does not belong in the church.
5. What does Micromegas decide to do with his time of exile?
(a) Travel the universe.
(b) Search for his family.
(c) Start a family.
(d) Vacation on Mars only.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon finding Earth, what does Micromegas think is the dominant life-form on Earth?
2. What is the little boy who is laying in the grass looking at?
3. What is wrong with the "gift" that Micromegas gives to the humans?
4. What does "une maniere de sentir" mean?
5. What is the prophecy that Julian's mother hears about her son's future?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Mass of the Atheist," why was the famous French surgeon Desplein's death upsetting, even for his enemies?
2. Explain the prophecy and circumstances about his future that Julian's father heard.
3. Who cursed Julian? Why?
4. Describe how Desplein saw the earth.
5. What was Julian taught when he was seven-years-old?
6. What do the men on the ship tell Micromegas and the Saturnian their time is spent doing?
7. According to "The Poor Boy's Toy," how do rich children differ from poor ones?
8. According to the old couple, what is the minuet?
9. Why is Horace surprised that Desplein attended a mass?
10. In "The Rope," why did the mother of the boy who committed suicide come to the narrator's home?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)