|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the narrator in "The Poor Boy's Toy", what have children learned to do?
(b) Trust everyone.
(c) Love unintentionally.
(d) Distrust man.
2. What religion was the water carrier that Desplein knew as a young man?
3. To what does the narrator compare Desplein?
(a) A farmer.
(b) An actor.
(c) A clown.
(d) A horse.
4. Why are adults celebrating in "The Old Clown"?
(a) Because it is a time of new births.
(b) Because it is a time to celebrate sacrifice.
(c) Because it is a time to forget one's troubles.
(d) Because it is a time to celebrate work.
5. According to "Minuet", what is the most violent loss a man can feel?
(a) The loss of a child.
(b) The loss of a mother.
(c) The loss of his wife.
(d) The loss of a father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Desplein's brightest student?
2. What is the lack of maternal love compared to in "The Rope"?
3. What is the profession of the person described in "The Rope"?
4. What is the prophecy that Julian's mother hears about her son's future?
5. What happened to the water carrier that Desplein knew as a young man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the garden mean for the old couple in "Minuet?"
2. How did the curse of the stag come to be true in "The Legend of St. Julian Hospitaler?"
3. Describe the circumstances surrounding Julian's first murder.
4. In "The Rope," why did the mother of the boy who committed suicide come to the narrator's home?
5. What is the rich boy looking at in "The Poor Boy's Toy?"
6. According to the old couple, what is the minuet?
7. Why did people dislike Desplein?
8. Why was Micromegas impressed by the secretary of the Academy of Saturn?
9. Explain the prophecy and circumstances about his future that Julian's father heard.
10. Why was Micromegas condemned?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)