|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "une maniere de sentir" mean?
(a) A century of madness.
(b) A manner of sadness.
(c) A moment of setiment.
(d) A way of feeling.
2. What does Jean Bridelle compare the borders of small trees to?
(a) Flocks of birds.
(b) A cemetery.
(c) Rows of schoolboys.
(d) A field of wildflowers.
3. What does Julian do for the leper that he comes across at his job?
(a) Drowns him.
(b) Gives him everything that he has.
(c) Hangs him by a fishing net.
(d) Shuns him.
4. To whom does the narrator in "The Old Clown" compare those yelling out "witticisms and jokes of a solid heavy humor"?
(b) Jean Chapelain.
5. What is wrong with the "gift" that Micromegas gives to the humans?
(a) It disappears when Micromegas leaves.
(b) It is blank.
(c) It is broken.
(d) It is ruined.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the profession of the person described in "The Rope"?
2. What is Desplein renowned for in "The Mass of the Atheist"?
3. What did the water carrier do for Desplein when they met?
4. What has happened to Julian's parents since he left them and married?
5. In "The Rope," what did the storyteller ask of the parents of the boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the circumstances surrounding Julian's first murder.
2. Why was Micromegas condemned?
3. Describe the type of friend that Horace Bianchon was.
4. Why did Daru have bags of wheat in the schoolhouse?
5. Who was "caught" by Jesus, according to Judas?
6. In "Grand-Lebrun," why does the narrator choose to recall his time at his former school?
7. How did the curse of the stag come to be true in "The Legend of St. Julian Hospitaler?"
8. What do the men on the ship tell Micromegas and the Saturnian their time is spent doing?
9. What does the prodigal son's father do when the prodigal son returns home?
10. According to the narrator in "Grand-Lebrun," what causes children to look for God?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)