|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What "gift" does Micromegas give to the humans he encounters?
(a) A locket.
(b) A painting.
(c) A book.
(d) A special mirror.
2. To what does the narrator compare Desplein?
(a) A farmer.
(b) A horse.
(c) An actor.
(d) A clown.
3. What job does Julian take after leaving his wife?
(a) A job helping homeless men.
(b) A fishing net mender.
(c) A job ferrying people across a lake.
(d) A fisherman.
4. According to the talking animal's prophecy, who will Julian kill?
(a) His father.
(b) His mother.
(c) His parents.
(d) His son.
5. What nationality was Voltaire?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the water carrier do for Desplein when they met?
2. According to the editor in "The Poor Boy's Toy", what idea does the narrator want to convey?
3. Why is Micromegas exiled from his home planet?
4. According to Jean Bridelle in "Minuet", what is responsible for his emotion?
5. According to the book, where were Baudelaire's most remarkable poems published?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the curse of the stag come to be true in "The Legend of St. Julian Hospitaler?"
2. Why did the narrator shun the boy in "The Rope?"
3. In "The Mass of the Atheist," why was the famous French surgeon Desplein's death upsetting, even for his enemies?
4. Why is Micromegas' name appropriate?
5. Describe the old clown.
6. Describe the circumstances surrounding Julian's first murder.
7. According to "The Poor Boy's Toy," how do rich children differ from poor ones?
8. What would Jean Bridelle do in the garden almost every morning?
9. According to Jean Bridelle, in "Minuet," what is the most violent grief a man and mother can bear?
10. Explain the prophecy and circumstances about his future that Julian's father heard.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)