|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year was "Minuet" first published?
2. What does Micromegas have to speak through to avoid hurting the humans' ears?
(a) A toothpick.
(b) A balloon.
(c) A pillow.
(d) A flower.
3. What is Thomas Aquinas known for writing in "Micromegas"?
(a) "Interpretation of a Dream".
(b) "Summa Theologica".
(c) "The Human Soul".
4. What does Jean Bridelle compare the borders of small trees to?
(a) Rows of schoolboys.
(b) Flocks of birds.
(c) A cemetery.
(d) A field of wildflowers.
5. Who does Jean Bridelle meet in the garden?
(a) An Irish dancer.
(b) A Russian dancer.
(c) A madame from Nice.
(d) A former dancing master from the Opera.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the prophecy that Julian's mother hears about her son's future?
2. What is the name of Desplein's brightest student?
3. What did the water carrier do for Desplein when they met?
4. According to Jean Bridelle in "Minuet", what is responsible for his emotion?
5. Where is Maupassant from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Micromegas' name appropriate?
2. Describe how Desplein saw the earth.
3. Explain the prophecy and circumstances about his future that Julian's father heard.
4. According to the old couple, what is the minuet?
5. Who cursed Julian? Why?
6. How does Jean Bridelle describe the nursery?
7. In "The Rope," why did the mother of the boy who committed suicide come to the narrator's home?
8. Describe the type of friend that Horace Bianchon was.
9. Why did the narrator shun the boy in "The Rope?"
10. Describe the circumstances surrounding Julian's first murder.
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)