|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Julian find great amusement in killing as a child?
(a) Poor people.
(d) Wealthy people.
2. In "The Legend of St. Julian Hospitaler", who is the leper in reality?
(a) His father.
(c) Jesus Christ.
(d) HIs brother.
3. To whom does the narrator in "The Old Clown" compare those yelling out "witticisms and jokes of a solid heavy humor"?
(b) Jean Chapelain.
4. Where was "Minuet" first published?
(a) Le Gaulois.
(b) Journal des débats.
(c) Almanach des Muses.
5. What does Jean Bridelle compare the borders of small trees to?
(a) A field of wildflowers.
(b) A cemetery.
(c) Rows of schoolboys.
(d) Flocks of birds.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Rope," what did the boy's mother want to see at the storyteller's home?
2. What happened to the water carrier that Desplein knew as a young man?
3. What planet is Micromegas from?
4. Why is Desplein's student surprised by Desplein's actions toward the water carrier?
5. According to the editor, what role does Maupassant play as a writer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the prophecy and circumstances about his future that Julian's father heard.
2. What was Desplein's first selfless act that Horace witnessed?
3. Why are the secretary and the other men of his planet upset with the small number (72) of senses that they have in "Micromegas?"
4. What was Julian taught when he was seven-years-old?
5. According to "The Poor Boy's Toy," how do rich children differ from poor ones?
6. Why did the narrator shun the boy in "The Rope?"
7. What would Jean Bridelle do in the garden almost every morning?
8. Why is Horace surprised that Desplein attended a mass?
9. What does Jean Bridelle see the old man doing in the garden?
10. What does the garden mean for the old couple in "Minuet?"
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)