|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are adults celebrating in "The Old Clown"?
(a) Because it is a time to celebrate sacrifice.
(b) Because it is a time to forget one's troubles.
(c) Because it is a time of new births.
(d) Because it is a time to celebrate work.
2. What nationality was Voltaire?
3. Upon finding Earth, what does Micromegas think is the dominant life-form on Earth?
4. What did the water carrier do for Desplein when they met?
(a) Turned Desplein in because he was wanted by the police.
(b) Paid his rent.
(c) Told Desplein that he would never amount to anything.
(d) Paid for one meal.
5. What is Jean Bridelle's most cherished pleasure?
(a) Noisy cafes.
(b) Stupid girls.
(c) To walk alone.
(d) Brawling friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julian's wife convince him to do?
2. What religion was the water carrier that Desplein knew as a young man?
3. To what does the narrator compare Desplein?
4. According to "Minuet", what is the most violent loss a man can feel?
5. What does Desplein's student do when he follows Desplein into church?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the narrator shun the boy in "The Rope?"
2. According to Jean Bridelle, in "Minuet," what is the most violent grief a man and mother can bear?
3. Why is Horace surprised that Desplein attended a mass?
4. What would Jean Bridelle do in the garden almost every morning?
5. What do the men on the ship tell Micromegas and the Saturnian their time is spent doing?
6. Why is Micromegas' name appropriate?
7. In "The Old Clown," why were people "sprawled everywhere?"
8. What does Jean Bridelle see the old man doing in the garden?
9. In "The Rope," why did the mother of the boy who committed suicide come to the narrator's home?
10. What is the rich boy looking at in "The Poor Boy's Toy?"
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)