|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Gide dedicate "The Return of the Prodigal Son" to?
(a) Charles-Louis Philippe.
(b) Paul Claudel.
(c) Francis James.
(d) Arthur Fontaine.
2. What does the doctor find is the cause of the main character's special power in "The Passer-Through-Walls"?
(a) Chairi Malformation.
(b) Hardening of the strangulatory wall of the thyroid vesicle.
(c) Aquagenic Urticaria.
(d) Hyperthymesic Syndrome.
3. What does the prodigal son first say made him come back?
4. What does the youngest son ask of the prodigal son?
(a) To leave with him.
(b) To talk him out of leaving.
(c) To stay and comfort mother.
(d) To keep the family from looking for him.
5. What does Daru keep in the school house to distribute to the schoolchildren?
6. According to the editor, what did Claudel never make to his public?
7. What does the following line by Rimbaud mean: mais vous j'ai trop pleure, les aubes sont navrantes?
(a) "Care for those around you, and only those."
(b) "Always be happy, you never be sad."
(c) "But you have too much crying, the blades are heartbreaking."
(d) "But you cannot be happy, you babes of nativity."
8. How does the prodigal son think that his father will react to his return?
(a) He will turn him away.
(b) He will welcome him into the home.
(c) He will punish him harshly.
(d) He will forget both of his other sons and give the remaining money to the prodigal son.
9. In "The Passer-Through-Walls", what does the main character collect?
10. What was the specialty of the Apostles in "The Death of Judas"?
(a) To make Jesus known everywhere.
(b) To limit self-sacrifice.
(c) To perform miracles.
(d) To keep Jesus from harm.
11. In "Grand-Lebrun", what color are the tiles of the school floor?
(a) Black and white.
(b) Brown and black.
(c) Red and white.
(d) Blue and white.
12. How old was the main character when his power was revealed to him?
13. What did Mauriac's teachers not consider him?
(a) A waste of time.
(b) A fast learner.
(c) A chosen vessel.
(d) A bright student.
14. What does Judas compare Simon Peter's eyes to in "The Death of Judas"?
(a) A lion.
(b) An affectionate dog.
(c) A canyon.
(d) A deep sea.
15. In remembering his time at Grand-Lebrun, what season is it?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was "Mort de Judas" published?
2. What is Judas' position within the disciples?
3. What is the prodigal son's mother afraid of?
4. According to the father, who will not be able to sleep because of the prodigal son's return?
5. How long did Gide spend writing "The Return of the Prodigal Son"?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)