|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Passer-Through-Walls", what did the main character do for a living?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A warehouse supplier.
(c) A third-grade employee.
(d) A doctor.
2. When did Claudel die in "The Death of Judas"?
(a) June 1784.
(b) February 1955.
(c) December 1890.
(d) April 1903.
3. Who did Gide dedicate "The Return of the Prodigal Son" to?
(a) Paul Claudel.
(b) Arthur Fontaine.
(c) Charles-Louis Philippe.
(d) Francis James.
4. What did Mauriac sometimes consider himself?
(a) A simpleton.
(b) A light in the darkness.
(c) A weak creature.
(d) A dark cloud.
5. In "The Passer-Through-Walls", what does the main character collect?
6. What is the first facial feature that Daru notices about the Arab?
(a) His eyes.
(b) His lips.
(c) His teeth.
(d) His nose.
7. At what time did the students receive snacks at Grand-Lebrun?
8. In "The Return of the Prodigal Son", what does the prodigal son say shut him in?
(a) His older brother.
(b) The House.
(c) His mother.
(d) His father.
9. In what year did Francois Mauriac win the Nobel Peace Prize?
10. At the time of printing, where did Ayme reside?
(c) Bella Ville.
11. What publication did Camus come to be editor of?
(a) "Noir Droite".
(b) "Reve Gauche".
12. What does the following line by Rimbaud mean: mais vous j'ai trop pleure, les aubes sont navrantes?
(a) "Always be happy, you never be sad."
(b) "Care for those around you, and only those."
(c) "But you cannot be happy, you babes of nativity."
(d) "But you have too much crying, the blades are heartbreaking."
13. Who designed the statue of Jupiter in "The Death of Judas"?
14. What does the youngest son ask of the prodigal son?
(a) To keep the family from looking for him.
(b) To leave with him.
(c) To talk him out of leaving.
(d) To stay and comfort mother.
15. How does the prodigal son think that his father will react to his return?
(a) He will punish him harshly.
(b) He will forget both of his other sons and give the remaining money to the prodigal son.
(c) He will turn him away.
(d) He will welcome him into the home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Judas begin to visit when he decides he wants to know "the other side of things"?
2. What does Balducci give Daru as he is leaving the schoolhouse?
3. To which direction do Daru's classroom windows open?
4. Why does Judas say he did what he did to Jesus?
5. In "The Return of the Prodigal Son", how does Gide describe his literary work?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)