|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What publication did Camus come to be editor of?
(a) "Noir Droite".
(b) "Reve Gauche".
2. What animal's hormones does the doctor prescribe the main character in "The Passer-Through-Walls"?
3. What does Daru give the Arab in addition to food?
4. What is Judas' position within the disciples?
(b) Jesus' advisor.
5. What is the name the children gave to the school buses that picked them up for school in "Grand-Lebrun"?
6. What is a paralytic who has been put back on his feet compared to in "The Death of Judas"?
(a) A hibernating bear.
(b) A jellyfish.
(c) A raging lion.
(d) A sleeping lamb.
7. How does the prodigal son think that his father will react to his return?
(a) He will turn him away.
(b) He will punish him harshly.
(c) He will welcome him into the home.
(d) He will forget both of his other sons and give the remaining money to the prodigal son.
8. In "The Passer-Through-Walls", what does the main character collect?
9. What does the prodigal son say he can still taste, even after partaking of the calf at the feast?
(b) Sweet acorns.
10. What have American reviewers of translations called Ayme?
(a) The best of the French writers today.
(b) The most uneducated writer of today.
(c) The most outspoken writer of Catholic novellas.
(d) The worst of the French writers today.
11. What was the basis of the poem that admitted Judas to the Sanhedrin?
(a) The ostentatiousness of the Verusians.
(b) The heroic obstinacy of the Maccabees.
(c) The inelegance of a martyr.
(d) The pompousness of royalty.
12. Why does Judas say he did what he did to Jesus?
(a) He wanted to see what "He" was up to.
(b) He was tired of Jesus looking over him.
(c) He wanted to gain a higher position with the Romans.
(d) He wanted the silver.
13. What is the name of the servant who woke Mauriac?
(a) Charles Rouge.
(b) Louis Larpe.
(c) Fredrick Caspussent.
(d) Francois LeBourne.
14. What kind of tea does Daru offer the men who have come to the schoolhouse?
15. Why does the prodigal son wait until night to go to his father's home?
(a) To cloak his poverty.
(b) He does not wait; he goes during the day.
(c) To listen in on the family's conversation.
(d) To fall asleep on the steps and have the family find him in the morning.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Passer-Through-Walls", how long does the main character meditate before bed every night?
2. According to the father, who will not be able to sleep because of the prodigal son's return?
3. After 1948, to what writing genre did Ayme devote most of his talent toward?
4. In what year did Francois Mauriac win the Nobel Peace Prize?
5. According to the editor, what did Claudel never make to his public?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)