|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What illness did Albert Camus have while at university?
(a) Refractory peripheral T-cell lymphoma.
(b) Peyronie's disease.
(d) Bubonic Plague.
2. In what year did Francois Mauriac win the Nobel Peace Prize?
3. Why does Judas say he did what he did to Jesus?
(a) He wanted to see what "He" was up to.
(b) He wanted to gain a higher position with the Romans.
(c) He wanted the silver.
(d) He was tired of Jesus looking over him.
4. In "The Guest", how many men is the schoolteacher waiting on to climb the hill to the school house?
5. Why does the prodigal son wait until night to go to his father's home?
(a) He does not wait; he goes during the day.
(b) To fall asleep on the steps and have the family find him in the morning.
(c) To listen in on the family's conversation.
(d) To cloak his poverty.
6. What does the following line by Rimbaud mean: mais vous j'ai trop pleure, les aubes sont navrantes?
(a) "But you cannot be happy, you babes of nativity."
(b) "Always be happy, you never be sad."
(c) "But you have too much crying, the blades are heartbreaking."
(d) "Care for those around you, and only those."
7. What animal's hormones does the doctor prescribe the main character in "The Passer-Through-Walls"?
8. What is happening to Judas during "Mort de Judas"?
(a) Judas is accepting his 30 pieces of silver.
(b) Judas is tending to his duties as a disciple.
(c) Judas is watching Jesus be arrested.
(d) Judas is hanging himself.
9. What is a paralytic who has been put back on his feet compared to in "The Death of Judas"?
(a) A raging lion.
(b) A jellyfish.
(c) A hibernating bear.
(d) A sleeping lamb.
10. What is the nearest village to Daru's schoolhouse?
(c) Monte Pire.
11. At what time did the students receive snacks at Grand-Lebrun?
12. What made the prodigal son feel close to his father?
13. What does Mauriac recall his mother saying she did with fire?
(a) Feared it.
(b) Lived it.
(c) Ate it.
(d) Drank it.
14. After 1948, to what writing genre did Ayme devote most of his talent toward?
(a) Short stories.
15. In "Grand-Lebrun", when does a child's heart become used to looking for God?
(a) When it is light.
(b) When it is frozen.
(c) When it is soft.
(d) When it is warmed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the prodigal son change his father's gold into?
2. What does the prodigal son's father accuse his son of doing when he asked him why he left?
3. In what year did Camus receive the Nobel Peace Prize?
4. What does "hic et nunc" mean?
5. At the time of printing, where did Ayme reside?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)