|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the prodigal son first think about after falling out of love with himself?
(a) His mother's face.
(b) His father's face.
(c) His brothers.
2. In remembering his time at Grand-Lebrun, what season is it?
3. What has stopped Daru's students from coming to school in "The Guest"?
4. How does the prodigal son think that his father will react to his return?
(a) He will welcome him into the home.
(b) He will forget both of his other sons and give the remaining money to the prodigal son.
(c) He will punish him harshly.
(d) He will turn him away.
5. Who does Judas begin to visit when he decides he wants to know "the other side of things"?
6. What would Mauriac say in front of a mirror?
(a) "No fear, no fear!"
(b) "Forgive me."
(c) "It's me! It's me!"
(d) "Never again...ever, ever again."
7. What kind of mustache did M. Lecuyer wear?
(a) The walrus.
(b) A handlebar one.
(c) A military one.
(d) Fu Manchu.
8. In "The Return of the Prodigal Son", what does the prodigal son say shut him in?
(a) His father.
(b) His older brother.
(c) His mother.
(d) The House.
9. What does Balducci give Daru as he is leaving the schoolhouse?
(a) An extradition warrant.
(c) Arrest papers.
(d) A revolver.
10. What is the nearest village to Daru's schoolhouse?
(b) Monte Pire.
11. According to the editor's biography of Mauriac, what does Mauriac consider himself the last of?
(a) Atheist writers in France.
(b) Baptist writers in Prague.
(c) Catholic writers in France.
(d) Methodist writers in Prague.
12. What illness did Albert Camus have while at university?
(b) Peyronie's disease.
(c) Bubonic Plague.
(d) Refractory peripheral T-cell lymphoma.
13. According to the father, who will not be able to sleep because of the prodigal son's return?
(a) The younger brother.
(d) The older brother.
14. In "The Guest", how many men is the schoolteacher waiting on to climb the hill to the school house?
15. When did Claudel die in "The Death of Judas"?
(a) December 1890.
(b) June 1784.
(c) February 1955.
(d) April 1903.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Daru give the Arab in addition to food?
2. What is a paralytic who has been put back on his feet compared to in "The Death of Judas"?
3. What have American reviewers of translations called Ayme?
4. What story made Judas want to hide?
5. What does the youngest son ask of the prodigal son?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)