|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Micromegas finally find human life-forms?
(a) A school.
(b) A prison.
(c) A submarine.
(d) A ship.
2. What does Micromegas have to speak through to avoid hurting the humans' ears?
(a) A balloon.
(b) A toothpick.
(c) A flower.
(d) A pillow.
3. Why are adults celebrating in "The Old Clown"?
(a) Because it is a time to celebrate sacrifice.
(b) Because it is a time to forget one's troubles.
(c) Because it is a time of new births.
(d) Because it is a time to celebrate work.
4. What did the narrator intend to do at the old clown's booth?
(a) Make fun of him.
(b) Throw him out of the market.
(c) Offer him a job.
(d) Leave money.
5. How does Desplein describe himself when his student questions him about attending mass?
(a) He is a religiously confused man with a God-owned soul.
(b) He is a freak of biblical proportions.
(c) He is externally atheistic but internally religious.
(d) He is externally religious but internally atheistic.
6. What is the prophecy that Julian's mother hears about her son's future?
(a) He will kill her.
(b) He will kill his father and marry her.
(c) He will be a great war hero.
(d) He will be a saint.
7. Who tells Julian's father of the prophecy of his son?
(a) A demon.
(b) An angel.
(c) A strange beggar.
(d) A homeless hermit.
8. In "The Rope," what did the boy's mother want to see at the storyteller's home?
(a) The painting.
(b) The balcony.
(c) The closet.
(d) The bedroom.
9. What happened to the water carrier that Desplein knew as a young man?
(a) He was banished for religious beliefs.
(b) He died.
(c) He was hung.
(d) He was put in prison.
10. While Julian is out hunting one day, what animal gains the power to speak to him?
(a) A lion.
(b) A stag.
(c) A bear.
(d) A moose.
11. Where is the water carrier from that Desplein treats?
12. According to the narrator in "The Poor Boy's Toy", what have children learned to do?
(a) Distrust man.
(c) Trust everyone.
(d) Love unintentionally.
13. What is the lack of maternal love compared to in "The Rope"?
(a) A mountain without snow.
(b) A lake without fish.
(c) A light without heat.
(d) A sky without stars.
14. Upon finding Earth, what does Micromegas think is the dominant life-form on Earth?
15. According to the editor, what role does Maupassant play as a writer?
(c) Conteur-observer and storyteller.
(d) Guichets mythe or myth teller.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times a year does Desplein attend church?
2. According to the talking animal's prophecy, who will Julian kill?
3. What job does Julian take after leaving his wife?
4. What is Jean Bridelle's most cherished pleasure?
5. To whom does the narrator in " The Old Clown" compare the muscle men to?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)