|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jean Bridelle compare the borders of small trees to?
(a) A cemetery.
(b) Rows of schoolboys.
(c) A field of wildflowers.
(d) Flocks of birds.
2. What happens to Julian's parents while they are sleeping in his wife's bed?
(a) Julian's wife kills them.
(b) Julian kills them.
(c) The Emperor kills them.
(d) Julian's brother-in-law kills them.
3. According to "Minuet", what is the most violent loss a man can feel?
(a) The loss of his wife.
(b) The loss of a mother.
(c) The loss of a child.
(d) The loss of a father.
4. What is wrong with the "gift" that Micromegas gives to the humans?
(a) It is blank.
(b) It is broken.
(c) It is ruined.
(d) It disappears when Micromegas leaves.
5. Where does Micromegas finally find human life-forms?
(a) A ship.
(b) A submarine.
(c) A prison.
(d) A school.
6. What is the name of Desplein's brightest student?
(a) Michelle Brogiese.
(b) Henre Vermaise.
(c) Horace Bianchon.
(d) Patrick Mentaon.
7. What does Desplein do to honor the water carrier's soul?
(a) Keeps a garden.
(b) Plants trees.
(c) Prays to God.
(d) Helps others in need.
8. What does Micromegas have to speak through to avoid hurting the humans' ears?
(a) A balloon.
(b) A flower.
(c) A pillow.
(d) A toothpick.
9. According to the editor in "The Poor Boy's Toy", what idea does the narrator want to convey?
(b) Innocent diversion.
(c) The wealth of the poor.
(d) The poorness of the wealthy.
10. What is the Emperor's name who Julian frees from the Muslims?
11. What is the little boy who is laying in the grass looking at?
(a) A bird flying in the sky.
(b) A poor boy on the other side of the gate.
(c) A beggar pulling a cart.
(d) A slave working in the garden.
12. What is the profession of the person described in "The Rope"?
(a) A musician.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A painter.
(d) A writer.
13. Who is Maupassant's godfather?
14. What is the prophecy that Julian's mother hears about her son's future?
(a) He will be a saint.
(b) He will be a great war hero.
(c) He will kill his father and marry her.
(d) He will kill her.
15. Where was the water carrier from that Desplein met when he was a young man?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was "Minuet" first published?
2. What did Desplein do to honor the water carrier as a man?
3. What is the prophecy that Julian's father hears about his son's future?
4. Where does Julian make a name for himself while away from home?
5. What job does Julian take after leaving his wife?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)