|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Desplein answer when his student questions his belief and actions?
(a) That it is none of his business.
(b) That they do not balance.
(c) That it is not for him to judge him.
(d) That they balance completely.
2. What was in the wire box in the story "The Poor Boy's Toy"?
(a) A butterfly.
(b) A live rat.
(c) A broken ornament.
(d) A dead bird.
3. To whom does the narrator in "The Old Clown" compare those yelling out "witticisms and jokes of a solid heavy humor"?
(a) Jean Chapelain.
4. To what does the narrator compare Desplein?
(a) A horse.
(b) A farmer.
(c) A clown.
(d) An actor.
5. What is the Emperor's name who Julian frees from the Muslims?
6. How tall are the Saturnians in "Micromegas"?
(a) 600 feet tall.
(b) 6,000 feet tall.
(c) 60,000 feet tall.
(d) 60 feet tall.
7. What does Desplein's student do when he follows Desplein into church?
(a) Kneels by him.
(b) Goes into confession.
(c) Tells the priest that Desplein does not belong in the church.
(d) Hides in the back of the church.
8. What nationality was Voltaire?
9. What is the name of one of the philosophers that the men give to Micromegas in response to a human's soul?
10. What does Julian vow never to do after hearing the talking animal's prophecy?
(b) Leave his father's side.
(c) Leave his mother's side.
11. What is Jean Bridelle's most cherished pleasure?
(a) Noisy cafes.
(b) Brawling friends.
(c) To walk alone.
(d) Stupid girls.
12. Why is Desplein's student surprised by Desplein's actions toward the water carrier?
(a) Desplein does not treat the man's true ailment.
(b) Desplein takes the man's daughter as payment.
(c) Desplein overcharges the man for treatment.
(d) Desplein does not charge him for treatment.
13. Where was "Minuet" first published?
(a) Almanach des Muses.
(c) Le Gaulois.
(d) Journal des débats.
14. According to Jean Bridelle, in the beginning of "Minuet", what has he seen at close range?
15. Why are people sprawled everywhere in "The Old Clown"?
(a) It is "The Day of St. Thorlakur".
(b) It is the celebration of "El Día de los Muertos".
(c) It is a public beach.
(d) It is a feast day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the boy while the storyteller from "The Rope" was away on business?
2. What happens when Julian is practicing the javelin?
3. How old is Jean Bridelle?
4. Where does Micromegas finally find human life-forms?
5. In "The Rope," what did the boy's mother want to see at the storyteller's home?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)