|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the profession of the person described in "The Rope"?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A musician.
(c) A writer.
(d) A painter.
2. According to the editor in "The Poor Boy's Toy", what idea does the narrator want to convey?
(a) Innocent diversion.
(c) The wealth of the poor.
(d) The poorness of the wealthy.
3. What must Micromegas use to see life on Earth?
(a) A magnifying glass.
(b) A microscope.
(c) Special eyeglasses.
(d) A drop of water.
4. What is the little boy who is laying in the grass looking at?
(a) A slave working in the garden.
(b) A beggar pulling a cart.
(c) A poor boy on the other side of the gate.
(d) A bird flying in the sky.
5. How tall are the Saturnians in "Micromegas"?
(a) 60,000 feet tall.
(b) 60 feet tall.
(c) 6,000 feet tall.
(d) 600 feet tall.
6. What is the prophecy that Julian's father hears about his son's future?
(a) He will be a great ruler and conqueror.
(b) He will kill the King and marry the Queen.
(c) He will become a petty thief.
(d) He will kill him to take control of the estate.
7. What happens to Julian's parents while they are sleeping in his wife's bed?
(a) The Emperor kills them.
(b) Julian kills them.
(c) Julian's brother-in-law kills them.
(d) Julian's wife kills them.
8. What does Julian vow never to do after hearing the talking animal's prophecy?
(a) Leave his father's side.
(c) Leave his mother's side.
9. Why are adults celebrating in "The Old Clown"?
(a) Because it is a time to celebrate work.
(b) Because it is a time to celebrate sacrifice.
(c) Because it is a time to forget one's troubles.
(d) Because it is a time of new births.
10. To whom does the narrator in "The Old Clown" compare those yelling out "witticisms and jokes of a solid heavy humor"?
(d) Jean Chapelain.
11. What did the water carrier do for Desplein when they met?
(a) Told Desplein that he would never amount to anything.
(b) Paid his rent.
(c) Turned Desplein in because he was wanted by the police.
(d) Paid for one meal.
12. Who tells Julian's father of the prophecy of his son?
(a) An angel.
(b) A demon.
(c) A strange beggar.
(d) A homeless hermit.
13. What does Desplein do to honor the water carrier's soul?
(a) Prays to God.
(b) Plants trees.
(c) Keeps a garden.
(d) Helps others in need.
14. How long has the Saturnian, who accompanies Micromegas on his journey, been married?
(a) 100 years.
(b) 1,000 years.
(c) 10,000 years.
(d) 10 years.
15. According to the editor, what role does Maupassant play as a writer?
(a) Conteur-observer and storyteller.
(b) Guichets mythe or myth teller.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does the narrator in " The Old Clown" compare the muscle men to?
2. What is the name of one of the philosophers that the men give to Micromegas in response to a human's soul?
3. According to "Minuet", what is the most violent loss a mother can feel?
4. What is the Emperor's name who Julian frees from the Muslims?
5. Where does Micromegas finally find human life-forms?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)