|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Julian do for the leper that he comes across at his job?
(a) Gives him everything that he has.
(b) Hangs him by a fishing net.
(c) Drowns him.
(d) Shuns him.
2. What does "une maniere de sentir" mean?
(a) A century of madness.
(b) A manner of sadness.
(c) A moment of setiment.
(d) A way of feeling.
3. What does Desplein claim the human body lacks?
(a) A soul.
(b) A heart.
(c) A memory.
(d) An ethical mind.
4. How many times a year does Desplein attend church?
5. What happened to the water carrier that Desplein knew as a young man?
(a) He was hung.
(b) He died.
(c) He was banished for religious beliefs.
(d) He was put in prison.
6. According to "Minuet", what is the most violent loss a mother can feel?
(a) The loss of a child.
(b) The loss of a sibling.
(c) The loss of a spouse.
(d) The loss of a parent.
7. What happened to the boy while the storyteller from "The Rope" was away on business?
(a) He cleaned the entire house.
(b) He hung himself.
(c) He ran away.
(d) He stabbed his parents.
8. What religion was the water carrier that Desplein knew as a young man?
9. Why is Desplein's student surprised by Desplein's actions toward the water carrier?
(a) Desplein does not treat the man's true ailment.
(b) Desplein overcharges the man for treatment.
(c) Desplein does not charge him for treatment.
(d) Desplein takes the man's daughter as payment.
10. What does Desplein's student do when he follows Desplein into church?
(a) Goes into confession.
(b) Hides in the back of the church.
(c) Kneels by him.
(d) Tells the priest that Desplein does not belong in the church.
11. When did Baudelaire die?
12. What does Desplein answer when his student questions his belief and actions?
(a) That it is not for him to judge him.
(b) That it is none of his business.
(c) That they do not balance.
(d) That they balance completely.
13. While Julian is out hunting one day, what animal gains the power to speak to him?
(a) A stag.
(b) A lion.
(c) A bear.
(d) A moose.
14. According to the talking animal's prophecy, who will Julian kill?
(a) His parents.
(b) His father.
(c) His son.
(d) His mother.
15. According to "Minuet", what is the most violent loss a man can feel?
(a) The loss of a child.
(b) The loss of his wife.
(c) The loss of a father.
(d) The loss of a mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julian vow never to do after hearing the talking animal's prophecy?
2. What did Desplein do to honor the water carrier as a man?
3. What is Thomas Aquinas known for writing in "Micromegas"?
4. What happens to Julian's parents while they are sleeping in his wife's bed?
5. Why are adults celebrating in "The Old Clown"?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)