|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Jean Bridelle, in the beginning of "Minuet", what has he seen at close range?
2. To whom does the narrator in " The Old Clown" compare the muscle men to?
(c) Inflated balloons.
3. What does Desplein do to honor the water carrier's soul?
(a) Helps others in need.
(b) Keeps a garden.
(c) Prays to God.
(d) Plants trees.
4. Where was "Minuet" first published?
(a) Journal des débats.
(b) Almanach des Muses.
(d) Le Gaulois.
5. What happened to the boy while the storyteller from "The Rope" was away on business?
(a) He cleaned the entire house.
(b) He hung himself.
(c) He ran away.
(d) He stabbed his parents.
6. How long is Micromegas' term of exile?
(a) 800 years.
(b) 800,000 years.
(c) 8,000 years.
(d) 80 years.
7. What is wrong with the "gift" that Micromegas gives to the humans?
(a) It is ruined.
(b) It is broken.
(c) It is blank.
(d) It disappears when Micromegas leaves.
8. What is the lack of maternal love compared to in "The Rope"?
(a) A light without heat.
(b) A sky without stars.
(c) A mountain without snow.
(d) A lake without fish.
9. How does Desplein describe himself when his student questions him about attending mass?
(a) He is a freak of biblical proportions.
(b) He is externally atheistic but internally religious.
(c) He is a religiously confused man with a God-owned soul.
(d) He is externally religious but internally atheistic.
10. What does Desplein claim the human body lacks?
(a) A heart.
(b) A memory.
(c) A soul.
(d) An ethical mind.
11. What "gift" does Micromegas give to the humans he encounters?
(a) A special mirror.
(b) A painting.
(c) A locket.
(d) A book.
12. Where is Maupassant from?
13. According to "Minuet", what is the most violent loss a man can feel?
(a) The loss of a child.
(b) The loss of a father.
(c) The loss of his wife.
(d) The loss of a mother.
14. What is laying on the grass next to the boy behind the iron gate?
(a) A dead bird.
(b) His nanny.
(c) A magnificent toy.
(d) A beautiful dog.
15. What did Desplein do to honor the water carrier as a man?
(a) Published a world-renowned medical journal for him.
(b) Wrote a book for him.
(c) Established a mass for him.
(d) Finished school for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must Micromegas use to see life on Earth?
2. How tall are the Saturnians in "Micromegas"?
3. What was in the wire box in the story "The Poor Boy's Toy"?
4. What does Jean Bridelle compare the borders of small trees to?
5. What religion does Desplein practice?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)