|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Julian's wife convince him to do?
(a) Kill her father, the Emperor.
(b) Have a son.
(c) Find his parents.
2. Where was "Minuet" first published?
(a) Le Gaulois.
(b) Journal des débats.
(d) Almanach des Muses.
3. In "The Legend of St. Julian Hospitaler", who is the leper in reality?
(b) HIs brother.
(c) Jesus Christ.
(d) His father.
4. What is wrong with the "gift" that Micromegas gives to the humans?
(a) It is ruined.
(b) It disappears when Micromegas leaves.
(c) It is broken.
(d) It is blank.
5. Who is Maupassant's godfather?
6. What is Thomas Aquinas known for writing in "Micromegas"?
(a) "The Human Soul".
(c) "Interpretation of a Dream".
(d) "Summa Theologica".
7. In "The Rope," what did the storyteller ask of the parents of the boy?
(a) To let him have their son.
(b) To let the boy marry his daughter and live with him.
(c) To have them murder their son.
(d) To let the boy live with him and go to school.
8. What was in the wire box in the story "The Poor Boy's Toy"?
(a) A butterfly.
(b) A live rat.
(c) A dead bird.
(d) A broken ornament.
9. According to Jean Bridelle, in the beginning of "Minuet", what has he seen at close range?
10. Who does Jean Bridelle meet in the garden?
(a) An Irish dancer.
(b) A former dancing master from the Opera.
(c) A Russian dancer.
(d) A madame from Nice.
11. How is Jean Bridelle looked upon by others?
(a) As a philosopher.
(b) As a skeptic.
(c) As a murderer.
(d) As a heretic.
12. How tall are the Saturnians in "Micromegas"?
(a) 6,000 feet tall.
(b) 60 feet tall.
(c) 60,000 feet tall.
(d) 600 feet tall.
13. Who tells Julian's mother of the prophecy of her son?
(a) An oracle.
(b) A strange hermit.
(c) A homeless beggar.
14. To what does the narrator compare Desplein?
(a) A farmer.
(b) A clown.
(c) A horse.
(d) An actor.
15. According to "Minuet", what is the most violent loss a man can feel?
(a) The loss of a mother.
(b) The loss of a child.
(c) The loss of his wife.
(d) The loss of a father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the water carrier that Desplein knew as a young man?
2. What is the prophecy that Julian's mother hears about her son's future?
3. What does Micromegas decide to do with his time of exile?
4. What is the name of one of the philosophers that the men give to Micromegas in response to a human's soul?
5. When did Baudelaire die?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)