|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does the narrator in "The Old Clown" compare those yelling out "witticisms and jokes of a solid heavy humor"?
(d) Jean Chapelain.
2. What job does Julian take after leaving his wife?
(a) A job helping homeless men.
(b) A job ferrying people across a lake.
(c) A fishing net mender.
(d) A fisherman.
3. What did Desplein do to honor the water carrier as a man?
(a) Published a world-renowned medical journal for him.
(b) Established a mass for him.
(c) Wrote a book for him.
(d) Finished school for him.
4. How long is Micromegas' term of exile?
(a) 8,000 years.
(b) 800,000 years.
(c) 80 years.
(d) 800 years.
5. According to the talking animal's prophecy, who will Julian kill?
(a) His father.
(b) His parents.
(c) His son.
(d) His mother.
6. What is Thomas Aquinas known for writing in "Micromegas"?
(a) "Interpretation of a Dream".
(c) "Summa Theologica".
(d) "The Human Soul".
7. Where does Micromegas finally find human life-forms?
(a) A ship.
(b) A prison.
(c) A submarine.
(d) A school.
8. What does Julian do for the leper that he comes across at his job?
(a) Hangs him by a fishing net.
(b) Drowns him.
(c) Shuns him.
(d) Gives him everything that he has.
9. What "gift" does Micromegas give to the humans he encounters?
(a) A book.
(b) A painting.
(c) A locket.
(d) A special mirror.
10. According to Jean Bridelle, in the beginning of "Minuet", what has he seen at close range?
11. What does Desplein do to honor the water carrier's soul?
(a) Plants trees.
(b) Helps others in need.
(c) Prays to God.
(d) Keeps a garden.
12. How is Jean Bridelle looked upon by others?
(a) As a heretic.
(b) As a murderer.
(c) As a skeptic.
(d) As a philosopher.
13. Where is Maupassant from?
14. Why is Micromegas exiled from his home planet?
(a) For murder.
(b) For adulterous behaviors.
(c) For stealing.
(d) For writing a book.
15. Who is Maupassant's godfather?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the editor, what role does Maupassant play as a writer?
2. What religion does Desplein practice?
3. What did the water carrier do for Desplein when they met?
4. According to "Minuet", what is the most violent loss a man can feel?
5. Who pays for the masses that Desplein attends?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)