|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon finding Earth, what does Micromegas think is the dominant life-form on Earth?
2. In "The Rope," what did the storyteller ask of the parents of the boy?
(a) To let the boy marry his daughter and live with him.
(b) To let him have their son.
(c) To let the boy live with him and go to school.
(d) To have them murder their son.
3. According to the editor in "The Poor Boy's Toy", what idea does the narrator want to convey?
(a) Innocent diversion.
(b) The wealth of the poor.
(d) The poorness of the wealthy.
4. What religion does Desplein practice?
(d) None; he is an atheist.
5. Who is Maupassant's godfather?
6. What does Julian's wife convince him to do?
(a) Kill her father, the Emperor.
(b) Have a son.
(d) Find his parents.
7. What does Jean Bridelle compare the nursery in Luxembourg to?
(a) The purring of a lion.
(b) The lush rainforests of the Amazon.
(c) The unscavenged North Sentinel Island.
(d) The sweet smile of an old lady.
8. What is laying on the grass next to the boy behind the iron gate?
(a) A magnificent toy.
(b) A dead bird.
(c) A beautiful dog.
(d) His nanny.
9. What happened to the boy while the storyteller from "The Rope" was away on business?
(a) He stabbed his parents.
(b) He hung himself.
(c) He cleaned the entire house.
(d) He ran away.
10. What is the lack of maternal love compared to in "The Rope"?
(a) A mountain without snow.
(b) A sky without stars.
(c) A light without heat.
(d) A lake without fish.
11. How is Jean Bridelle looked upon by others?
(a) As a philosopher.
(b) As a murderer.
(c) As a heretic.
(d) As a skeptic.
12. What does Jean Bridelle compare the borders of small trees to?
(a) Rows of schoolboys.
(b) A field of wildflowers.
(c) A cemetery.
(d) Flocks of birds.
13. Where was "Minuet" first published?
(a) Journal des débats.
(c) Almanach des Muses.
(d) Le Gaulois.
14. What is the little boy who is laying in the grass looking at?
(a) A bird flying in the sky.
(b) A slave working in the garden.
(c) A beggar pulling a cart.
(d) A poor boy on the other side of the gate.
15. According to "Minuet", what is the most violent loss a man can feel?
(a) The loss of a child.
(b) The loss of a mother.
(c) The loss of a father.
(d) The loss of his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julian do for the leper that he comes across at his job?
2. What is wrong with the "gift" that Micromegas gives to the humans?
3. How tall is Micromegas?
4. What does Desplein do to honor the water carrier's soul?
5. In "The Legend of St. Julian Hospitaler", who is the leper in reality?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)