|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How tall are the Saturnians in "Micromegas"?
(a) 60 feet tall.
(b) 600 feet tall.
(c) 6,000 feet tall.
(d) 60,000 feet tall.
2. While Julian is out hunting one day, what animal gains the power to speak to him?
(a) A stag.
(b) A lion.
(c) A bear.
(d) A moose.
3. Why is Micromegas exiled from his home planet?
(a) For adulterous behaviors.
(b) For writing a book.
(c) For murder.
(d) For stealing.
4. What religion does Desplein practice?
(b) None; he is an atheist.
5. What is Jean Bridelle's most cherished pleasure?
(a) To walk alone.
(b) Noisy cafes.
(c) Stupid girls.
(d) Brawling friends.
6. What is the profession of the person described in "The Rope"?
(a) A musician.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A writer.
(d) A painter.
7. Why is the minuet no longer performed?
(a) Because there are no more kings.
(b) Because it has been banned.
(c) Because it is only performed by master dancers.
(d) Because its original form has been forgotten.
8. What is the little boy who is laying in the grass looking at?
(a) A slave working in the garden.
(b) A beggar pulling a cart.
(c) A poor boy on the other side of the gate.
(d) A bird flying in the sky.
9. Why are people sprawled everywhere in "The Old Clown"?
(a) It is a public beach.
(b) It is the celebration of "El Día de los Muertos".
(c) It is a feast day.
(d) It is "The Day of St. Thorlakur".
10. How is Jean Bridelle looked upon by others?
(a) As a philosopher.
(b) As a heretic.
(c) As a murderer.
(d) As a skeptic.
11. According to "Minuet", what is the most violent loss a man can feel?
(a) The loss of a father.
(b) The loss of his wife.
(c) The loss of a child.
(d) The loss of a mother.
12. What happens to Julian's parents while they are sleeping in his wife's bed?
(a) Julian's brother-in-law kills them.
(b) The Emperor kills them.
(c) Julian's wife kills them.
(d) Julian kills them.
13. According to the talking animal's prophecy, who will Julian kill?
(a) His son.
(b) His father.
(c) His parents.
(d) His mother.
14. What is the name of Desplein's brightest student?
(a) Patrick Mentaon.
(b) Michelle Brogiese.
(c) Horace Bianchon.
(d) Henre Vermaise.
15. Who tells Julian's father of the prophecy of his son?
(a) A demon.
(b) A strange beggar.
(c) An angel.
(d) A homeless hermit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the lack of maternal love compared to in "The Rope"?
2. To whom does the narrator in "The Old Clown" compare those yelling out "witticisms and jokes of a solid heavy humor"?
3. What does Desplein's student do when he follows Desplein into church?
4. What does "une maniere de sentir" mean?
5. What is the prophecy that Julian's father hears about his son's future?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)