|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Jean Bridelle looked upon by others?
(a) As a murderer.
(b) As a skeptic.
(c) As a philosopher.
(d) As a heretic.
2. Where was the water carrier from that Desplein met when he was a young man?
3. What does Desplein claim the human body lacks?
(a) A heart.
(b) A memory.
(c) An ethical mind.
(d) A soul.
4. What must Micromegas use to see life on Earth?
(a) A microscope.
(b) A magnifying glass.
(c) Special eyeglasses.
(d) A drop of water.
5. According to the editor, what role does Maupassant play as a writer?
(a) Conteur-observer and storyteller.
(d) Guichets mythe or myth teller.
6. According to the narrator in "The Poor Boy's Toy", what have children learned to do?
(a) Trust everyone.
(b) Distrust man.
(c) Love unintentionally.
7. Where is Maupassant from?
8. What is the name of Desplein's brightest student?
(a) Michelle Brogiese.
(b) Henre Vermaise.
(c) Horace Bianchon.
(d) Patrick Mentaon.
9. What does Julian do for the leper that he comes across at his job?
(a) Drowns him.
(b) Gives him everything that he has.
(c) Hangs him by a fishing net.
(d) Shuns him.
10. What story made Maupassant famous?
(a) "Boule de Suif".
(c) "Fort comme la mort".
(d) "Deux Amis".
11. To whom does the narrator in " The Old Clown" compare the muscle men to?
(b) Inflated balloons.
12. What has happened to Julian's parents since he left them and married?
(a) They have become richer.
(b) They have had another son to carry on their name.
(c) They have become very poor.
(d) They have arranged a marriage for him.
13. How does Micromegas respond to the "knowledge" of Thomas Aquinas' book?
(a) He leaves immediately.
(b) He cries.
(c) He laughs.
(d) He becomes angry.
14. What nationality was Voltaire?
15. What happened to the water carrier that Desplein knew as a young man?
(a) He was put in prison.
(b) He was hung.
(c) He was banished for religious beliefs.
(d) He died.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Jean Bridelle in "Minuet", what is responsible for his emotion?
2. Why is Desplein's student surprised by Desplein's actions toward the water carrier?
3. What does Julian find great amusement in killing as a child?
4. What did Desplein do to honor the water carrier as a man?
5. Who tells Julian's father of the prophecy of his son?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)