|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Julian's parents while they are sleeping in his wife's bed?
(a) Julian kills them.
(b) Julian's wife kills them.
(c) The Emperor kills them.
(d) Julian's brother-in-law kills them.
2. What religion was the water carrier that Desplein knew as a young man?
3. What has happened to Julian's parents since he left them and married?
(a) They have become very poor.
(b) They have arranged a marriage for him.
(c) They have had another son to carry on their name.
(d) They have become richer.
4. What did the narrator intend to do at the old clown's booth?
(a) Leave money.
(b) Make fun of him.
(c) Throw him out of the market.
(d) Offer him a job.
5. What does Jean Bridelle compare the nursery in Luxembourg to?
(a) The unscavenged North Sentinel Island.
(b) The purring of a lion.
(c) The sweet smile of an old lady.
(d) The lush rainforests of the Amazon.
6. What story made Maupassant famous?
(a) "Boule de Suif".
(c) "Fort comme la mort".
(d) "Deux Amis".
7. What does Desplein's student do when he follows Desplein into church?
(a) Kneels by him.
(b) Hides in the back of the church.
(c) Tells the priest that Desplein does not belong in the church.
(d) Goes into confession.
8. Where does Micromegas finally find human life-forms?
(a) A school.
(b) A ship.
(c) A submarine.
(d) A prison.
9. Who tells Julian's mother of the prophecy of her son?
(a) A homeless beggar.
(c) An oracle.
(d) A strange hermit.
10. What does Jean Bridelle compare the borders of small trees to?
(a) A field of wildflowers.
(b) A cemetery.
(c) Rows of schoolboys.
(d) Flocks of birds.
11. What is the little boy who is laying in the grass looking at?
(a) A beggar pulling a cart.
(b) A slave working in the garden.
(c) A bird flying in the sky.
(d) A poor boy on the other side of the gate.
12. Why is Micromegas exiled from his home planet?
(a) For stealing.
(b) For murder.
(c) For adulterous behaviors.
(d) For writing a book.
13. Where is Maupassant from?
14. Who are Julian's parents in "The Legend of St. Julian Hospitaler"?
(a) A Baron and Barroness.
(b) A Lord and Lady of a castle.
(c) A King and Queen.
(d) A peasant couple.
15. In "The Rope," what did the boy's mother want to see at the storyteller's home?
(a) The balcony.
(b) The painting.
(c) The bedroom.
(d) The closet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What "gift" does Micromegas give to the humans he encounters?
2. How many times a year does Desplein attend church?
3. Why are adults celebrating in "The Old Clown"?
4. Who does Micromegas first talk to about the existence of a human soul?
5. According to the narrator in "The Poor Boy's Toy", what have children learned to do?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)