|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Julian make a name for himself while away from home?
2. Where is the water carrier from that Desplein treats?
3. What happened to the water carrier that Desplein knew as a young man?
(a) He died.
(b) He was put in prison.
(c) He was hung.
(d) He was banished for religious beliefs.
4. What story made Maupassant famous?
(b) "Deux Amis".
(c) "Boule de Suif".
(d) "Fort comme la mort".
5. What nationality was Voltaire?
6. What happened to the boy while the storyteller from "The Rope" was away on business?
(a) He stabbed his parents.
(b) He ran away.
(c) He hung himself.
(d) He cleaned the entire house.
7. According to "Minuet", what is the most violent loss a man can feel?
(a) The loss of a mother.
(b) The loss of his wife.
(c) The loss of a child.
(d) The loss of a father.
8. According to the book, where were Baudelaire's most remarkable poems published?
(a) "Blanche Carte".
(b) "Les Fluers du Mal".
(c) "La Revue des Deux Mondes".
(d) "De Noire Pomme de Terre".
9. According to the editor, what role does Maupassant play as a writer?
(c) Guichets mythe or myth teller.
(d) Conteur-observer and storyteller.
10. What is laying on the grass next to the boy behind the iron gate?
(a) A beautiful dog.
(b) A magnificent toy.
(c) His nanny.
(d) A dead bird.
11. What is the Emperor's name who Julian frees from the Muslims?
12. While Julian is out hunting one day, what animal gains the power to speak to him?
(a) A bear.
(b) A stag.
(c) A moose.
(d) A lion.
13. What does "une maniere de sentir" mean?
(a) A manner of sadness.
(b) A century of madness.
(c) A moment of setiment.
(d) A way of feeling.
14. What does Julian find great amusement in killing as a child?
(b) Wealthy people.
(c) Poor people.
15. How tall are the Saturnians in "Micromegas"?
(a) 60,000 feet tall.
(b) 6,000 feet tall.
(c) 60 feet tall.
(d) 600 feet tall.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the minuet no longer performed?
2. What religion does Desplein practice?
3. To whom does the narrator in "The Old Clown" compare those yelling out "witticisms and jokes of a solid heavy humor"?
4. What was in the wire box in the story "The Poor Boy's Toy"?
5. How long has the Saturnian, who accompanies Micromegas on his journey, been married?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)