|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Julian find great amusement in killing as a child?
(c) Wealthy people.
(d) Poor people.
2. What does Julian's wife convince him to do?
(a) Kill her father, the Emperor.
(c) Have a son.
(d) Find his parents.
3. How many times a year does Desplein attend church?
4. Why are people sprawled everywhere in "The Old Clown"?
(a) It is the celebration of "El Día de los Muertos".
(b) It is "The Day of St. Thorlakur".
(c) It is a public beach.
(d) It is a feast day.
5. How is Jean Bridelle looked upon by others?
(a) As a heretic.
(b) As a skeptic.
(c) As a philosopher.
(d) As a murderer.
6. What does Desplein do to honor the water carrier's soul?
(a) Plants trees.
(b) Keeps a garden.
(c) Prays to God.
(d) Helps others in need.
7. What is the name of Desplein's brightest student?
(a) Horace Bianchon.
(b) Patrick Mentaon.
(c) Michelle Brogiese.
(d) Henre Vermaise.
8. Why are adults celebrating in "The Old Clown"?
(a) Because it is a time to celebrate sacrifice.
(b) Because it is a time of new births.
(c) Because it is a time to forget one's troubles.
(d) Because it is a time to celebrate work.
9. What does Julian vow never to do after hearing the talking animal's prophecy?
(a) Leave his mother's side.
(b) Leave his father's side.
10. According to the book, where were Baudelaire's most remarkable poems published?
(a) "De Noire Pomme de Terre".
(b) "Les Fluers du Mal".
(c) "La Revue des Deux Mondes".
(d) "Blanche Carte".
11. What does "une maniere de sentir" mean?
(a) A manner of sadness.
(b) A way of feeling.
(c) A century of madness.
(d) A moment of setiment.
12. What happened to the water carrier that Desplein knew as a young man?
(a) He died.
(b) He was banished for religious beliefs.
(c) He was hung.
(d) He was put in prison.
13. What story made Maupassant famous?
(b) "Boule de Suif".
(c) "Deux Amis".
(d) "Fort comme la mort".
14. In what year was "Minuet" first published?
15. To whom does the narrator in "The Old Clown" compare those yelling out "witticisms and jokes of a solid heavy humor"?
(b) Jean Chapelain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Desplein claim the human body lacks?
2. In "The Legend of St. Julian Hospitaler", who is the leper in reality?
3. To whom does the narrator in " The Old Clown" compare the muscle men to?
4. Who tells Julian's mother of the prophecy of her son?
5. How long has the Saturnian, who accompanies Micromegas on his journey, been married?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)