|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Rope," what did the storyteller ask of the parents of the boy?
(a) To let the boy live with him and go to school.
(b) To have them murder their son.
(c) To let him have their son.
(d) To let the boy marry his daughter and live with him.
2. Where does Julian make a name for himself while away from home?
3. According to Jean Bridelle in "Minuet", what is responsible for his emotion?
(a) His imagination.
(b) The loss of his son.
(c) The loss of his father.
4. What happens to Julian's parents while they are sleeping in his wife's bed?
(a) Julian's brother-in-law kills them.
(b) The Emperor kills them.
(c) Julian kills them.
(d) Julian's wife kills them.
5. While Julian is out hunting one day, what animal gains the power to speak to him?
(a) A lion.
(b) A moose.
(c) A stag.
(d) A bear.
6. What is the lack of maternal love compared to in "The Rope"?
(a) A light without heat.
(b) A mountain without snow.
(c) A sky without stars.
(d) A lake without fish.
7. What is the Emperor's name who Julian frees from the Muslims?
8. In "The Legend of St. Julian Hospitaler", who is the leper in reality?
(a) HIs brother.
(c) His father.
(d) Jesus Christ.
9. Where does Micromegas finally find human life-forms?
(a) A ship.
(b) A school.
(c) A submarine.
(d) A prison.
10. What did the water carrier do for Desplein when they met?
(a) Paid his rent.
(b) Paid for one meal.
(c) Told Desplein that he would never amount to anything.
(d) Turned Desplein in because he was wanted by the police.
11. What is the name of one of the philosophers that the men give to Micromegas in response to a human's soul?
12. What does Desplein answer when his student questions his belief and actions?
(a) That it is not for him to judge him.
(b) That they do not balance.
(c) That it is none of his business.
(d) That they balance completely.
13. What is the little boy who is laying in the grass looking at?
(a) A beggar pulling a cart.
(b) A slave working in the garden.
(c) A poor boy on the other side of the gate.
(d) A bird flying in the sky.
14. What happened to the water carrier that Desplein knew as a young man?
(a) He died.
(b) He was banished for religious beliefs.
(c) He was hung.
(d) He was put in prison.
15. According to the book, where were Baudelaire's most remarkable poems published?
(a) "Blanche Carte".
(b) "Les Fluers du Mal".
(c) "De Noire Pomme de Terre".
(d) "La Revue des Deux Mondes".
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Desplein do to honor the water carrier's soul?
2. Who tells Julian's mother of the prophecy of her son?
3. In what year was "Minuet" first published?
4. What does "une maniere de sentir" mean?
5. What is Desplein renowned for in "The Mass of the Atheist"?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)