|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In earlier cultures, what was ultimately done with the captive slave?
(a) He or she was sold.
(b) He or she was eaten.
(c) He or she was freed.
(d) He or she was given away as a gift.
2. In this type of freedom, an individual can do what he wants without the constraint of what?
(a) His own wishes.
(b) Having to pay for it.
(c) The wishes of others.
(d) Any choice.
3. What happens to these former slaves that become successful and prosperous?
(a) They are abused by the aristocracy and the still-oppressed slaves.
(b) They cause resentment among the still-oppressed slaves.
(c) They miss their old lives.
(d) They become disrespectful and out of control.
4. The third component is the ________ component, where individuals have the freedom to participate in the community and its governance, with their rights and obligations defined.
5. How does the ruling class find the majority of the population becoming?
(a) Politically dependent on it.
(b) Economically and socially dependent on it.
(c) Politically independent of it.
(d) Economically and socially independent of it.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what revolution does a large slave population exist to serve the aristocracy and non-farm population?
2. What delineates the fifth revolution of this period?
3. What is an example of a social reform for the abolishment of debt, debt bondage and enslavement for debt?
4. To what can the development of freedom as a social value be traced?
5. What does a second factor have to do with, which Patterson sees as "a strategic class error" (p. 65) because it results in a standard against which things can be measured?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)