|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is not entirely correct regarding freedom and slavery?
(a) Defining them purely in terms of personal status.
(b) Defining them without terms of legal status.
(c) Defining them purely in terms of legal status.
(d) Defining them purely in terms of social status.
2. Freedom is relative in that the more freedom one individual has, the ______ freedom another has.
3. Since the slave master's financial welfare depended on the slave, what did he have to do?
(a) Trick the slave to produce.
(b) Find a way to purchase more slaves.
(c) Find a way to motivate the slave to produce.
(d) Scare the slave into submission.
4. What are palatine centralism, decentralized tribalism, rudimentary state formation and aristocratic resurgence?
(a) Four city-states.
(b) Four designated periods of interest.
(c) Four villages.
(d) Four Grecian rules.
5. What does a second factor have to do with, which Patterson sees as "a strategic class error" (p. 65) because it results in a standard against which things can be measured?
(a) The spread of wealth among this new class.
(b) The spread of disease.
(c) The spread of legal tender that quickly reveals wealth.
(d) The spread of literacy and the development of a legal written code.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements describes the new class that arises?
2. What happens to these former slaves that become successful and prosperous?
3. How does the ruling class find the majority of the population becoming?
4. What kind of revolution is the fourth revolution, marked by the formation of social and moral sciences based on rationality?
5. Who does the slave in this culture have?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)