|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Reactionary Stoicism appeal to the Roman upper classes?
(a) It is based on wealth.
(b) It is based on faith.
(c) It is based on social status.
(d) It is based on reason.
2. How does Patterson describe the elements of slavery?
(a) As powerlessness, natal alienation and dishonor.
(b) As a loss of power and embarrassment.
(c) As being a vagrant, weak, and unintelligent.
(d) As having no family, friends, or home.
3. Why do they accept the sovereignal freedom of the emperor?
(a) He will do what he can to take care of them.
(b) He is a kind man.
(c) They do not want any other ruler.
(d) It poses less of a threat to their own personal freedom than does the civic freedom of the upper class.
4. What is an example of a social reform for the abolishment of debt, debt bondage and enslavement for debt?
(a) Solomon's seisochtheia.
(b) Solon's seize.
(c) Solomon's seize.
(d) Solon's seisochtheia.
5. What is one of the different periods of serfdom?
(a) Feudal serfdom.
(b) Liberal serfdom.
(c) Conservative serfdom.
(d) Ruler serfdom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What parts of the Roman economy are slave-based?
2. How do societies everywhere regard the inception of freedom as a value?
3. What does this chapter examine?
4. What does a second factor have to do with, which Patterson sees as "a strategic class error" (p. 65) because it results in a standard against which things can be measured?
5. The third involves the restructuring of Italian what?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)