|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Patterson, how many phases exist in the development of early Christianity?
2. By medieval times, the character of Europe has become rural __________.
(d) Slave-based societies.
3. How does Patterson describe the elements of slavery?
(a) As having no family, friends, or home.
(b) As powerlessness, natal alienation and dishonor.
(c) As a loss of power and embarrassment.
(d) As being a vagrant, weak, and unintelligent.
4. What does this chapter examine?
(a) The role of Rome in the historical development of freedom.
(b) The role of Greece in the historical development of freedom as a social value.
(c) The role of Italy in the historical development of freedom.
(d) The role of Crete in the development of freedom.
5. In the Middle Ages, what renews the interest in the quest for freedom?
(a) The compassion of the king.
(b) The freedom of serfdom.
(c) The end of slavery.
(d) The oppression of serfdom.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does agricultural production shift?
2. The contemporaneous development of slavery and the concept of freedom characterize what societies?
3. What school of thought is one of moral introspection, postulating that the soul is trapped inside the body during life and is freed when the body dies.
4. Eventually, the differing views of freedom lead to what?
5. How do the plebeians view the civic freedom of the upper class?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)