|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the nationalist theme in Indian literature appear earlier than Burmese literature?
2. Although the Burmese government refused to acknowledge the document, "The Formation of a People's Committee," the government did which of the following?
3. For Aung San Suu Kyi, how will the forces that produce inequities be conquered?
4. Which is worst out of the four types of corruption?
5. Why did Burma have few social problems?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Aung San's response to his fame after he formed the Burmese Independence Army was formed in 1942?
2. In Suu Kyi's first letter addressed to Amnesty International, what solution does she propose to the organization?
3. What does Aung San Suu Kyi observe about the theme of nationalism in Indian and Burmese literature?
4. What does Aung San Suu Kyi say about democracy in her speech at the mass rally at the Shwedagon Pagoda in Rangoon on 26 August 1988?
5. According to Aung San Suu Kyi, how do Burma and India differ in their colonial heritage?
6. At the time of Suu Kyi's interview with Karan Thapar on August 29, 1988, what was the state of the Burmese government?
7. Where did the nationalism movement arise in Burma
8. In the article "Belief in Burma's Future," what are Aung San Suu Kyi's beliefs about the army in Burma in 1988?
9. According to Aung San Suu Kyi, what are the four types of corruption?
10. What happened to the Burmese government after Aung San was assassinated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The value systems of those with access to power and of those far removed from such access cannot be the same. Explain what you think this statement means. Describe situations in Freedom from Fear and Other Writings in which this statement is applicable. Use examples from the book in your response.
Essay Topic 2
A few have criticized Aung San Suu Kyi because she spent her formative years outside of Burma. Present evidence that either she should or should not be the leader in Burma's struggle for democracy because of her foreign upbringing. Cite examples from the book in your response.
Essay Topic 3
In Freedom from Fear, and Other Writings, Aung San Suu Kyi presents a template for for achieving a multi-party democracy. What are the components of that template? Use evidence from the book in your response.
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)