|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What form of literature became increasingly popular in Burma near the end of the British rule?
2. What event brought Aung San's name into prominence in the Burmese nationalism movement?
3. Which is not a Burmese ethnic group?
4. What was Burma's main export?
5. What advice does Aung San give in his inauguration speech?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did one British writing describe a condescending stance toward the Burmese?
2. What was the position of the Burmese nationalists toward the British at the onset of World War II?
3. Recite the general message of five of the points on the bulleted list of "The Formation of a People's Committee".
4. How did the British attempt to pacify the Burmese after they obtained rule of the country?
5. In the article "Belief in Burma's Future," what are Aung San Suu Kyi's beliefs about the army in Burma in 1988?
6. What was Aung San's response to his fame after he formed the Burmese Independence Army was formed in 1942?
7. According to Aung San Suu Kyi, what are the four types of corruption?
8. In the article "Belief in Burma's Future", what is happening in Burma in 1988 now that police can longer guarantee security?
9. At the time of Suu Kyi's interview with Karan Thapar on August 29, 1988, what was the state of the Burmese government?
10. According to Suu Kyi, what happened to political thought in Burma during the early twentieth century?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify one problem in the book and give an alternate solution not given by Suu Kyi. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
In Freedom from Fear, and Other Writings, Aung San Suu Kyi presents a template for for achieving a multi-party democracy. What are the components of that template? Use evidence from the book in your response.
Essay Topic 3
A few have criticized Aung San Suu Kyi because she spent her formative years outside of Burma. Present evidence that either she should or should not be the leader in Burma's struggle for democracy because of her foreign upbringing. Cite examples from the book in your response.
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)