|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Suu Kyi, What was Gandhi able to accomplish that Burma was unable to do?
2. In "Belief in Burma's Future," what has sprung up throughout the country because the police can no longer guarantee security in 1988?
3. In Suu Kyi's interview with Karan Thapar in August 29, 1988, what does Suu Kyi reiterate about what her father said about the army?
4. What was the Freedom Bloc?
5. Who published Aung San Suu Kyi's work that examines the themes in Burmese literature and political thought?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the the quintessential difference between the rule of law in a democracy and under totalitarian rule?
2. Under what conditions would Aung San resign as leader of Burma?
3. In the article "Belief in Burma's Future", what is happening in Burma in 1988 now that police can longer guarantee security?
4. Recite the general message of five of the points on the bulleted list of "The Formation of a People's Committee".
5. How did one British writing describe a condescending stance toward the Burmese?
6. How did the British attempt to pacify the Burmese after they obtained rule of the country?
7. In his 1947 inauguration speech, what did Aung San caution the Burmese people about?
8. In Suu Kyi's first letter addressed to Amnesty International, what solution does she propose to the organization?
9. According to Aung San Suu Kyi, what are the four types of corruption?
10. What was Aung San's response to his fame after he formed the Burmese Independence Army was formed in 1942?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is fear used by leaders according to Aung San Suu Kyi? What types of leaders use fear? What is the character of a leader that does not use fear? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the similarities between Mahatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr. and Aung San Suu Kyi. Do you see any differences? How are they different? Cite examples from the book in your response.
Essay Topic 3
You can never separate the political system of a country from the way you conduct your daily life. Explain how this concept relates to the writings of Aung San Suu Kyi in Freedom from Fear and Other Writings. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)