|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Aung San, why did he encourage the Japanese invasion?
2. According to the letter, "The Formation of a People's Committee," people should...
3. According to Aung San Suu Kyi, when did the western influence on Burmese language and literature become evident?
4. Who published Aung San Suu Kyi's work that examines the themes in Burmese literature and political thought?
5. When was Aung San assassinated?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Suu Kyi's reaction to President Maung's offfer to have a special party congress on September 12, 1988?
2. At the time of Suu Kyi's interview with Karan Thapar on August 29, 1988, what was the state of the Burmese government?
3. Where did the nationalism movement arise in Burma
4. In his 1947 inauguration speech, what did Aung San caution the Burmese people about?
5. How did the British attempt to pacify the Burmese after they obtained rule of the country?
6. Why were the Burmese not the ideal recipients of the leftist literature that was available in the 1930s?
7. In Suu Kyi's second letter to Amnesty International, name one example she gives of human rights violations in Burma.
8. How was the movement for democracy in Burma undermined during the twentieth century?
9. In Suu Kyi's first letter addressed to Amnesty International, what solution does she propose to the organization?
10. What is the the quintessential difference between the rule of law in a democracy and under totalitarian rule?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An understanding of the past is necessary for solving the problems of the present. Explain what you think this statement means in the context of Freedom from Fear and Other Writings. Why does Suu Kyi present the history of Burma for a collection of essays about the current political situation? Cite examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
You can never separate the political system of a country from the way you conduct your daily life. Explain how this concept relates to the writings of Aung San Suu Kyi in Freedom from Fear and Other Writings. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the similarities between Mahatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr. and Aung San Suu Kyi. Do you see any differences? How are they different? Cite examples from the book in your response.
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)