|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What about Aung San Suu Kyi's personal characteristics exalted her to become the spokesperson for the democratic movement in Burma, according to Josef Silverstein?
(a) Her eloquence.
(b) Her political savvy.
(c) Her intelligence.
(d) Her modesty.
2. According to Ann Pasternak Slater, what is one of Suu Kyi's talents?
(a) She is a seamstress.
(b) She has a beautiful singing voice.
(c) She is a talented artist.
(d) She is a fantastic swimmer.
3. What difficulties did Suu Kyi refer to in her letter to the editor dated 14 April 1989?
(a) Being sentenced to hard labor.
(b) Being shut off from human contact.
(c) Facing soldiers ordered to shoot her.
(d) Losing faith.
4. In Ma Than E's essay, who accepts the Sakharov award for Aung San Suu Kyi?
(a) U Than Tun.
(b) Suu Kyi's 13-year-old son Kim.
(c) Ma Than E.
(d) Suu Kyi's husband.
5. In her interview with Dominic Falder on AsiaWeek in July 1989, what are Suu Kyi's observations about the Burmese people?
(a) They have learned to be frightened.
(b) They will be able to easily adjust to a democratic system.
(c) They have a rich heritage.
(d) They are a resilient group.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Ma Than E, when Suu Kyi was in Algiers, what was she more interested in than attending the parties to which she was invited?
2. What are Suu Kyi's comments about the SLORC in an interview with Dominic Falder on AsiaWeek in July 1989?
3. Who does Suu Kyi ask to press about the human rights violations in Burma in her open letter dated September 26, 1988?
4. In her speech delivered at a pagoda in Myitkyina, Kachin State on April 27, 1989, what advice does Suu Kyi give to parents?
5. What was the Nobel Peace Prize committee's comments on the 1991 election in Burma?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Aung San Suu Kyi's letter to the editor she wrote on January 21, 1989, how does she describe her trip to Bassein on the Irrawaddy Delta?
2. According to Joseph Silverstein, what was the military government's initial approach to Aung San Suu Kyi?
3. In her letter to the editor dated Rangoon, 14 April 1989, what does Suu Kyi write about the soldiers in Burma?
4. In Ma Than E's essay, what are her recollections about Aung San Suu Kyi' s childhood?
5. In a speech delivered at a pagoda in Myitkyina, Kachin State on April 27, 1989, what advice does Suu Kyi give for parents?
6. What was the conclusion of the Norwegian committee's decision when they awarded Aung San Suu Kyi the Nobel Peace Prize in 1991?
7. How does Ann Pasternak Slater describe Aung San Suu Kyi?
8. In an interview with Dominic Falder on AsiaWeek in July 1989, what is Suu Kyi's response to the question what she thought would happen after the elections, if there were elections?
9. In a speech delivered at a pagoda in Myitkyina, Kachin State on April 27, 1989, how does Suu Kyi respond to the knowledge that people are afraid?
10. What does Ma Than E write about Aung San Suu Kyi's return to Burma and the situation in the country at that time?
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)