|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the letter, "The Formation of a People's Committee," people should...
(a) Earnestly promote good governance.
(b) Resist any actions that are not in accord with the Declaration of Human Rights.
(c) Oppose any tyrrany.
(d) Act in accord with the laws of the country.
2. "The Formation of a People's Committee" "earnestly requests" which of the following?
(a) That the authorities hold open and free elections.
(b) The government form a multi-party legislative body.
(c) That the authorities stop using force and release all political prisoners.
(d) Adopt a free market economic system.
3. In Suu Kyi's interview with Karan Thapar in August 29, 1988, what is Suu Kyi's response to the offer made by President Maung to have a special party congress on September 12, 1988?
(a) "It is a sham."
(b) "The government is showing signs of progress."
(c) "It is unlikely that such a congress will occur."
(d) "Too little too late."
4. Why does Amnesty International not come to Burma?
(a) The members are not granted a visa.
(b) They have gathered enough evidence of human rights violations so a visit is unnecessary.
(c) Because of the military oppression.
(d) There is not enough evidence to warrant a visit.
5. When does law and order gain intrinsic value?
(a) When law is enforced.
(b) When law is followed by all.
(c) When law is created by men with morals and integrity.
(d) When law is equated with justice and order.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Party Chairman Ne Win, propose after a series of bloodshed and disturbances in 1988?
2. Under what condition did Aung San vow he would resign his position as the leader of Burma?
3. What human rights violation does Suu Kyi cite in her second letter to Amnesty International?
4. When was Burma eventually granted its independence by the British?
5. In Suu Kyi's interview with Karan Thapar in August 29, 1988, what does she state as her vision for her role in Burma?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Suu Kyi's reaction to President Maung's offfer to have a special party congress on September 12, 1988?
2. In the article "Belief in Burma's Future", what is happening in Burma in 1988 now that police can longer guarantee security?
3. How did the British attempt to pacify the Burmese after they obtained rule of the country?
4. What does Aung San Suu Kyi say about democracy in her speech at the mass rally at the Shwedagon Pagoda in Rangoon on 26 August 1988?
5. Recite the general message of five of the points on the bulleted list of "The Formation of a People's Committee".
6. According to Suu Kyi, what happened to political thought in Burma during the early twentieth century?
7. At the time of Suu Kyi's interview with Karan Thapar on August 29, 1988, what was the state of the Burmese government?
8. Under what conditions would Aung San resign as leader of Burma?
9. What does Aung San Suu Kyi observe about the theme of nationalism in Indian and Burmese literature?
10. In Suu Kyi's first letter addressed to Amnesty International, what solution does she propose to the organization?
This section contains 1,256 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)