|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Parents who send their children to private schools:
(a) none of the above
(b) pay a lower amount of taxes for public schools
(c) pay not taxes for public schools
(d) still pay taxes for public schools
2. Most of the ICC staff came from the:
(a) railroad industry
(b) were laymen
(d) stock market
3. To function as a medium of exchange, an item must be:
(b) accepted in exchange for goods and services
(c) easy to carry
4. What must an interstate public carrier have in order to operate?
(a) a big trucking company
(b) none of the above
(c) certificate of public convenience and necessity
(d) permission from the state
5. All but the following have resulted from centralization in schooling:
(a) more choice for consumers
(b) less choice for consumers
(c) increased power for administrators
(d) larger scale units
6. What does Friedman call one of the most successful labor unions in history?
(a) the AMA
7. The purpose of the EPA is to:
(a) protect and enhance the environment
(b) regulate landscaping
(c) promote nicer looking neighborhoods
(d) promote safer working environments
8. Which of the following laws is not specifically aimed at protection of workers?
(a) length of workweek
(b) workmen's compensation
(d) minimum wage legislation
9. At the time the book was written, how many workers belonged to unions?
(a) one in four
(b) one in three
(c) one in two
(d) one in five
10. In Virginia in the 1600s, what functioned as money?
11. The Interstate Commerce Commission was formed to regulate:
(a) trade between states
(b) air traffic
12. One of the big complaints of parents is that they:
(a) spend too much time in parent-teacher conferences
(b) the school day is too short
(c) parents are asked to do too much with the school given their busy schedules
(d) have little control or choice regarding their children's education
13. In the 1920s, what publications were the leading intellectual journals of opinion?
(a) the New Republic and the Nation
(b) the New York Times
(d) Life Magazine
14. Modern labor unions trace their roots back:
(a) the Egyptians
(b) Great Britain
(c) to medical men in ancient Greece
(d) ancient Rome
15. Printing new money to increase the quantity of money is:
(a) highly inflationary
(b) good economic policy
(c) good for stability
(d) the only way most governments can survive
Short Answer Questions
1. What program would allow greater choices for parents?
2. Who would benefit the most from an increased quality of schooling from a school voucher program?
3. Union high wages are usually at the expense of:
4. Most Western nations have experienced:
5. The union does all but the following for its members:
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)