|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who teaches Douglass some written words?
(a) White boys in the street.
(b) Mrs. Lloyd.
(c) Mrs. Auld.
(d) White overseers who like him.
2. What does Mrs. Auld do for a living?
(a) She is a teacher.
(b) She is a housewife.
(c) She is a secretary.
(d) She owns a business.
3. When were the slaves able to rest on Mr. Covey's farm?
(a) When the slave trainer was sleeping.
(d) Not very often.
4. What is Douglass happy about receiving for his trip to help one of his master's relatives?
(a) A pair of shoes.
(b) A hair cut.
(c) A new shirt.
(d) His first pair of pants.
5. What is the name of the plantation owner where Douglass is treated better than other slaves?
(a) Lloyd .
6. What happens to Douglass at the end of Chapter Nine?
(a) He's lent to a slaveholder to be taught how to obey.
(b) He is traded to a new master for a horse.
(c) He runs away.
(d) He is sold to a new master.
7. What does Douglass mainly do with his time off while working for Mr. Covey?
(c) Visit with street children.
8. What causes Douglass to hate the slaveholders even more than usual?
(a) Passing slaves to others without any gratitude for their years of service.
(b) They trade him for a horse.
(c) Deciding to give their slave less food than usual for working slowly.
(d) They take all his books away.
9. Who does Douglass say he will miss from his former plantation?
(a) No one.
(b) Master Daniel.
(c) Master Garrison.
10. What does the slaveholder use as a way to justify slavery?
(a) The need for workers.
(b) Slaves need guidance to survive.
11. Which slaveholders exhibit more morality?
(a) City slaveholders.
(b) The Garrisons.
(c) The Lloyds.
(d) Southern slaveholders.
12. What does Mr. Covey do in the morning and at night?
(b) Beat the slaves.
(c) Read the Bible.
(d) Leave the farm to sell his goods.
13. What is the job that Douglass performs for Daniel when he goes hunting?
(a) He chases squirrels up trees.
(b) He flushes out the birds.
(c) He does bird calls.
(d) He retrieves the birds.
14. What does Douglass's master teach him?
(a) Education will lead to his freedom.
(b) Education will help him earn money.
(c) Learning is hard.
(d) Slaves are smart.
15. What happens to Douglass's grandmother when she gets older?
(a) She has to move to a mud hut in the woods.
(b) She continues to care for her master.
(c) She is allowed to go and take Douglass with her.
(d) She is freed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a slave need from his or her master to travel?
2. What plan does Douglass decide not to give up on by the end of Chapter Eight?
3. How is Douglass's new master in Chapter Nine different than Douglass' previous owners?
4. What is Douglass most upset about by the end of Chapter Eight?
5. What is Douglass's job on Mr. Covey's farm?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)