|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "abolitionist" mean?
(a) Someone who works to make laws for slaveholders stronger.
(b) Someone who wants all slaves in the North free.
(c) Someone who wants to get rid of slavery.
(d) A person from the south who is fighting to keep slavery laws intact.
2. Where does Douglass sleep while working on the plantation as a child?
(a) In a corn sack on the dirt floor.
(b) Under a blanket on the dirt floor.
(c) In a hay stack.
(d) In one of the animal's stalls.
3. In what year does Chapter Ten start?
4. In Chapter Five, why does Douglass not get treated as poorly as the other slaves?
(a) He is too young to work in the fields.
(b) He works an extra hour a day.
(c) He is liked by the master's wife.
(d) He plays with the master's children.
5. Why does Douglass let his master's horse go?
(a) To show that animals are not as smart as slaves.
(b) To keep the horse from getting killed.
(c) To retrieve it from his previous plantation so he could get some food.
(d) To be mean.
6. Which slaveholders exhibit more morality?
(a) The Lloyds.
(b) The Garrisons.
(c) Southern slaveholders.
(d) City slaveholders.
7. What does Douglass's master teach him?
(a) Education will lead to his freedom.
(b) Slaves are smart.
(c) Learning is hard.
(d) Education will help him earn money.
8. What does Douglass think will help him to become a free slave?
(a) Moving to live with his master's relative.
(b) The kindness of his master.
(c) Doing what he's told.
(d) God's spirit living in him.
9. What is Douglass most upset about by the end of Chapter Eight?
(a) That his grandmother is mistreated.
(b) He has to go work in the fields.
(c) He still has not tried to escape.
(d) That his first slaveholder doesn't put him in his will.
10. What does Mrs. Auld do for a living?
(a) She is a housewife.
(b) She owns a business.
(c) She is a teacher.
(d) She is a secretary.
11. Who teaches Douglass some written words?
(a) Mrs. Auld.
(b) White overseers who like him.
(c) Mrs. Lloyd.
(d) White boys in the street.
12. What does Douglass take with him when he goes on errands?
(a) A newspaper.
(b) A stick to write in the dirt.
(c) A book.
(d) A piece of paper.
13. How many slaves has Mrs. Auld owned before?
14. What happens to Douglass when Master Thomas has a conflict with his brother?
(a) He is moved to Baltimore.
(b) He is moved to St. Michael's.
(c) He is beaten.
(d) He has to go work in the fields.
15. What does Douglass use to practice his writing?
(a) Quill and ink.
(b) Stick in the dirt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Douglass at the end of Chapter Nine?
2. What does Douglass vow to do during Chapter Six?
3. Who does Douglass have to fight with to get his daily food?
4. What does the slave trainer that Douglass is lent to for a year get a female slave for?
5. Who is Whittier?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)