|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Covey do to keep the slaves working all the time?
(a) Beat them if they stop working.
(b) Sneak up on them.
(c) Give them more food if they continue working.
(d) Let them sleep longer if they work more.
2. Who ran after Douglass to take the newspaper or a book away?
(a) Mrs. Auld.
(b) Mr. Auld.
(c) Mr. Daniel.
(d) Mrs. Lloyd.
3. Who does Douglass describe as being tenderhearted when he first met her?
(a) Mrs. Anthony.
(b) Ms. Daniel.
(c) Mrs. Auld.
(d) Mrs. Lloyd.
4. What does Douglass hope for by going to the new farm where he is lent to a man for a year?
(a) To have more time to read.
(b) To be beaten less.
(c) To have more food.
(d) To have the chance to run away.
5. Where is Douglass supposed to look while talking to the master's wife?
(a) Look at the floor.
(b) Look away.
(c) Look her in the eyes.
(d) Look ahead, just not right at her.
6. What does Douglass's master teach him?
(a) Education will help him earn money.
(b) Slaves are smart.
(c) Learning is hard.
(d) Education will lead to his freedom.
7. How long does Douglass have to work on occasion?
(a) Until one in the morning.
(b) Until midnight.
(c) Until ten.
(d) Until two in the morning.
8. What does Douglass trade to learn new written words?
(d) A piece of candy.
9. What does Douglass take with him when he goes on errands?
(a) A book.
(b) A stick to write in the dirt.
(c) A piece of paper.
(d) A newspaper.
10. Which master did the slaves know to be violent?
(a) Master Andrew.
(b) Master Garrison.
(c) Master Thomas.
(d) Master Lloyd.
11. How many slaves has Mrs. Auld owned before?
12. What is the name of the plantation owner where Douglass is treated better than other slaves?
(a) Lloyd .
13. What causes Douglass to change in Chapter Ten?
(a) Learning to write.
(c) Fighting the slave trainer and winning.
(d) Learning to read.
14. What is ranked the same in value as the slaves?
(b) Farm animals .
(d) House pets.
15. What does Douglass start to go through in Chapter Nine that is new to him?
(a) Extreme hunger.
(b) More freedom.
(c) Extreme beatings.
(d) Less work and more time to play.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Douglass's grandmother when she gets older?
2. What causes Douglass to hate the slaveholders even more than usual?
3. What does Mrs. Auld do for a living?
4. What does Douglass realize about education in Chapter Six?
5. What does "abolitionist" mean?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)