|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Covey do to keep the slaves working all the time?
(a) Sneak up on them.
(b) Let them sleep longer if they work more.
(c) Give them more food if they continue working.
(d) Beat them if they stop working.
2. Who is Whittier?
(a) A slaveholder.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A poet.
3. Why does Douglass let his master's horse go?
(a) To show that animals are not as smart as slaves.
(b) To be mean.
(c) To retrieve it from his previous plantation so he could get some food.
(d) To keep the horse from getting killed.
4. What does Douglass mainly do with his time off while working for Mr. Covey?
(b) Visit with street children.
5. What does Douglass compare the treatment of slaves in the city to?
(a) Treatment of pigs.
(b) Treatment of criminals.
(c) Treatment of slaves in the South.
(d) Treatment of slaves in the country.
6. What does Mrs. Auld do for a living?
(a) She is a secretary.
(b) She owns a business.
(c) She is a housewife.
(d) She is a teacher.
7. Which master did the slaves know to be violent?
(a) Master Thomas.
(b) Master Lloyd.
(c) Master Garrison.
(d) Master Andrew.
8. What does a slave need from his or her master to travel?
(a) A ticket.
(b) A pass.
(c) Some money.
(d) A letter.
9. What is the year that Douglass first remembers when he moved?
10. What does the slave master tell his wife regarding not teaching slaves to read?
(a) He said they would be unmanageable.
(b) He said that it's not safe.
(c) All are correct.
(d) He said that it's against the law.
11. What causes Douglass to change in Chapter Ten?
(b) Learning to read.
(c) Fighting the slave trainer and winning.
(d) Learning to write.
12. What happens to Douglass when Master Thomas has a conflict with his brother?
(a) He has to go work in the fields.
(b) He is moved to St. Michael's.
(c) He is beaten.
(d) He is moved to Baltimore.
13. What does Douglass describe in Chapter Five?
(a) Relationships of slaves.
(b) How slaves are punished.
(c) How he is treated as a slave.
(d) How slaves are traded.
14. What causes Douglass's first beating on Mr. Covey's farm?
(a) Breaking a cart and gate.
(b) Speaking before being told to .
(c) Damaging farm tools.
(d) Being disrespectful.
15. What does Douglass not have enough time to do while working for Mr. Covey?
(c) Read .
(d) Finish his allotted work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Douglass realize about education in Chapter Six?
2. What does Douglass take with him when he goes on errands?
3. Who does Douglass describe as "heavenly"?
4. Why is Douglass's new master in Chapter Nine different than his previous owners?
5. In Chapter Five, why does Douglass not get treated as poorly as the other slaves?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)