|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Douglass say he will miss from his former plantation?
(b) Master Garrison.
(c) Master Daniel.
(d) No one.
2. What does Mrs. Auld do for a living?
(a) She is a teacher.
(b) She owns a business.
(c) She is a secretary.
(d) She is a housewife.
3. What does the slave trainer that Douglass is lent to for a year get a female slave for?
(a) To trade her for a male slave to work in the fields.
(b) To help care for the younger slaves.
(c) To care for his family and household chores.
(d) To breed with .
4. How is Douglass's new master in Chapter Nine different than Douglass' previous owners?
(a) He talks to Douglass like he does a white man.
(b) He's nice.
(c) He beats Douglass.
(d) He's a coward.
5. Who became an abusive alcoholic?
(a) Master Thomas.
(b) Master Andrew.
(c) Master Hugh.
(d) Master Lloyd.
6. Where is Douglass sent to live in order to help a relative of his master?
(c) To a nearby farm.
7. What does Douglass use to practice his writing?
(a) Stick in the dirt.
(d) Quill and ink.
8. Why does Douglass like the job he does for Daniel?
(a) He gets to sleep later the next day.
(b) He gets food.
(c) He doesn't have to work as hard.
(d) He gets extra water.
9. Who does Douglass describe as being tenderhearted when he first met her?
(a) Mrs. Lloyd.
(b) Mrs. Auld.
(c) Mrs. Anthony.
(d) Ms. Daniel.
10. What happens to Douglass after he is given to Mrs. Lucretia?
(a) He's sent back to the plantation he just came from.
(b) He moves with her to South Carolina.
(c) She gives him to Master Andrew.
(d) He moves with her to North Carolina.
11. In what year does Chapter Ten start?
12. Approximately how old is Douglass when he goes back to his birth place?
13. What does a slave need from his or her master to travel?
(a) A ticket.
(b) A letter.
(c) A pass.
(d) Some money.
14. What causes Douglass's first beating on Mr. Covey's farm?
(a) Damaging farm tools.
(b) Speaking before being told to .
(c) Being disrespectful.
(d) Breaking a cart and gate.
15. Where does Douglass sleep while working on the plantation as a child?
(a) In a hay stack.
(b) Under a blanket on the dirt floor.
(c) In one of the animal's stalls.
(d) In a corn sack on the dirt floor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Douglass take with him when he goes on errands?
2. What does Douglass vow to do during Chapter Six?
3. Who does Douglass describe as "heavenly"?
4. Why does Douglass have to go back to his birth place?
5. What makes Douglass unhappy during Chapter Seven?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)