|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who teaches Douglass some written words?
(a) White overseers who like him.
(b) Mrs. Auld.
(c) Mrs. Lloyd.
(d) White boys in the street.
2. Who says, "It would forever unfit him to be a slave?"
(a) Mr. Auld.
(b) Mrs. Auld.
(c) Mr. Lloyd.
(d) Mr. Anthony.
3. How long does Douglass have to work on occasion?
(a) Until ten.
(b) Until one in the morning.
(c) Until two in the morning.
(d) Until midnight.
4. What does Douglass take with him when he goes on errands?
(a) A stick to write in the dirt.
(b) A book.
(c) A newspaper.
(d) A piece of paper.
5. Who tries to help Douglass learn the alphabet?
(a) Mrs. Lloyd .
(b) Mr. Auld.
(c) Mr. Anthony.
(d) Mrs. Auld.
6. What is the job that Douglass performs for Daniel when he goes hunting?
(a) He flushes out the birds.
(b) He chases squirrels up trees.
(c) He does bird calls.
(d) He retrieves the birds.
7. What does Douglass describe in Chapter Five?
(a) How slaves are traded.
(b) How he is treated as a slave.
(c) Relationships of slaves.
(d) How slaves are punished.
8. What does Douglass realize about education in Chapter Six?
(a) Uneducated slaves can be controlled.
(b) Slaves can be educated.
(c) Learning to read will help him earn money.
(d) He is smart.
9. When were the slaves able to rest on Mr. Covey's farm?
(a) When the slave trainer was sleeping.
(b) Not very often.
10. Why does Douglass like the job he does for Daniel?
(a) He gets extra water.
(b) He doesn't have to work as hard.
(c) He gets food.
(d) He gets to sleep later the next day.
11. Where is Douglass sent to live in order to help a relative of his master?
(a) To a nearby farm.
12. Where is Douglass supposed to look while talking to the master's wife?
(a) Look at the floor.
(b) Look ahead, just not right at her.
(c) Look her in the eyes.
(d) Look away.
13. How is Douglass's new master in Chapter Nine different than Douglass' previous owners?
(a) He talks to Douglass like he does a white man.
(b) He beats Douglass.
(c) He's a coward.
(d) He's nice.
14. What does Mrs. Auld do for a living?
(a) She is a housewife.
(b) She owns a business.
(c) She is a teacher.
(d) She is a secretary.
15. How many slaves has Mrs. Auld owned before?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the plantation owner where Douglass is treated better than other slaves?
2. What does the slaveholder use as a way to justify slavery?
3. What happens to Douglass after he is given to Mrs. Lucretia?
4. What happens to Douglass when Master Thomas has a conflict with his brother?
5. Who is Whittier?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)