|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Douglass describe in detail in Chapter Seven?
(a) When he moves to another plantation.
(b) How he begins going to school.
(c) How he befriends a white child.
(d) How he continues to learn to read and write.
2. What is the job that Douglass performs for Daniel when he goes hunting?
(a) He retrieves the birds.
(b) He chases squirrels up trees.
(c) He flushes out the birds.
(d) He does bird calls.
3. What does Douglass start to go through in Chapter Nine that is new to him?
(a) Less work and more time to play.
(b) More freedom.
(c) Extreme beatings.
(d) Extreme hunger.
4. What does "abolitionist" mean?
(a) Someone who works to make laws for slaveholders stronger.
(b) Someone who wants to get rid of slavery.
(c) A person from the south who is fighting to keep slavery laws intact.
(d) Someone who wants all slaves in the North free.
5. Who does Douglass describe as being tenderhearted when he first met her?
(a) Mrs. Lloyd.
(b) Mrs. Auld.
(c) Ms. Daniel.
(d) Mrs. Anthony.
6. Why does Douglass have to go back to his birth place?
(a) His first master is mad with his current owners.
(b) He gets in trouble .
(c) His first master wants him to go with his son.
(d) His first master dies and has no will.
7. What does the slave trainer that Douglass is lent to for a year get a female slave for?
(a) To help care for the younger slaves.
(b) To care for his family and household chores.
(c) To breed with .
(d) To trade her for a male slave to work in the fields.
8. Who are the Thomases?
(a) Slave family who is sold and separated.
(b) Slaveholders who take good care of their slaves.
(c) Southern slaveholders.
(d) City slaveholders.
9. Who is the new slaveholder in Chapter Nine that Douglass is not afraid to go to?
(a) Mr. Leonard.
(b) Mr. Johnson.
(c) Mr. Covey.
(d) Mr. Carry.
10. In what year does Chapter Ten start?
11. What does Douglass get to eat as a child on the plantation?
(a) Table scraps.
12. Who does Douglass say he will miss from his former plantation?
(a) Master Daniel.
(b) No one.
(c) Master Garrison.
13. Where is Douglass sent to live in order to help a relative of his master?
(c) To a nearby farm.
14. In Chapter Five, why does Douglass not get treated as poorly as the other slaves?
(a) He is too young to work in the fields.
(b) He works an extra hour a day.
(c) He plays with the master's children.
(d) He is liked by the master's wife.
15. Where is Douglass supposed to look while talking to the master's wife?
(a) Look her in the eyes.
(b) Look at the floor.
(c) Look away.
(d) Look ahead, just not right at her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who teaches Douglass some written words?
2. Who tries to help Douglass learn the alphabet?
3. What makes Douglass unhappy during Chapter Seven?
4. Where does Douglass's master go in Chapter Nine that changes his behavior?
5. What causes Douglass to hate the slaveholders even more than usual?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)