|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "abolitionist" mean?
(a) Someone who wants all slaves in the North free.
(b) Someone who wants to get rid of slavery.
(c) A person from the south who is fighting to keep slavery laws intact.
(d) Someone who works to make laws for slaveholders stronger.
2. Where does Douglass's master go in Chapter Nine that changes his behavior?
(a) A slaveholders meeting.
(b) A community meeting.
(c) A Methodist camp meeting.
(d) A Baptist camp meeting.
3. What is the subject matter of two books that Douglass reads and finds interesting?
(a) Slavery covering both positions.
(b) Life of an educated slave.
(c) How slavery will change in the future.
(d) Life of an educated white man.
4. How is Douglass's new master in Chapter Nine different than Douglass' previous owners?
(a) He talks to Douglass like he does a white man.
(b) He beats Douglass.
(c) He's a coward.
(d) He's nice.
5. What happens to Douglass after he is given to Mrs. Lucretia?
(a) He moves with her to South Carolina.
(b) He moves with her to North Carolina.
(c) She gives him to Master Andrew.
(d) He's sent back to the plantation he just came from.
6. Who is Whittier?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A poet.
(d) A slaveholder.
7. What does Douglass start to go through in Chapter Nine that is new to him?
(a) Extreme hunger.
(b) More freedom.
(c) Less work and more time to play.
(d) Extreme beatings.
8. What does Douglass vow to do during Chapter Six?
(a) Learn to read.
(b) Go to school.
(c) Learn to count money.
(d) Earn his freedom.
9. What does Douglass's master teach him?
(a) Slaves are smart.
(b) Learning is hard.
(c) Education will lead to his freedom.
(d) Education will help him earn money.
10. What does Douglass use to practice his writing?
(b) Quill and ink.
(c) Stick in the dirt.
11. What is the job that Douglass performs for Daniel when he goes hunting?
(a) He does bird calls.
(b) He flushes out the birds.
(c) He chases squirrels up trees.
(d) He retrieves the birds.
12. What does a slave need from his or her master to travel?
(a) Some money.
(b) A letter.
(c) A ticket.
(d) A pass.
13. What happens to Douglass's grandmother when she gets older?
(a) She is allowed to go and take Douglass with her.
(b) She is freed.
(c) She continues to care for her master.
(d) She has to move to a mud hut in the woods.
14. What does Douglass realize about education in Chapter Six?
(a) Slaves can be educated.
(b) Learning to read will help him earn money.
(c) Uneducated slaves can be controlled.
(d) He is smart.
15. What does the slaveholder use as a way to justify slavery?
(a) The need for workers.
(d) Slaves need guidance to survive.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the Thomases?
2. Who is the new slaveholder in Chapter Nine that Douglass is not afraid to go to?
3. What does Douglass take with him when he goes on errands?
4. What causes Douglass to hate the slaveholders even more than usual?
5. Who does Douglass say he will miss from his former plantation?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)