|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the Thomases?
(a) Southern slaveholders.
(b) Slaveholders who take good care of their slaves.
(c) City slaveholders.
(d) Slave family who is sold and separated.
2. What is Douglass happy about receiving for his trip to help one of his master's relatives?
(a) A new shirt.
(b) A pair of shoes.
(c) A hair cut.
(d) His first pair of pants.
3. What does Douglass vow to do during Chapter Six?
(a) Earn his freedom.
(b) Learn to count money.
(c) Go to school.
(d) Learn to read.
4. Which master did the slaves know to be violent?
(a) Master Garrison.
(b) Master Lloyd.
(c) Master Thomas.
(d) Master Andrew.
5. What happens to Douglass after he is given to Mrs. Lucretia?
(a) She gives him to Master Andrew.
(b) He's sent back to the plantation he just came from.
(c) He moves with her to North Carolina.
(d) He moves with her to South Carolina.
6. What does Douglass use of Master Thomas's to help him write?
(b) History book.
(d) Spelling book.
7. What does Douglass describe in detail in Chapter Seven?
(a) How he befriends a white child.
(b) When he moves to another plantation.
(c) How he begins going to school.
(d) How he continues to learn to read and write.
8. What is ranked the same in value as the slaves?
(a) Farm animals .
(d) House pets.
9. What does Douglass mainly do with his time off while working for Mr. Covey?
(d) Visit with street children.
10. Why is Douglass's new master in Chapter Nine different than his previous owners?
(a) He is an abolitionist.
(b) He became a slaveholder when he was older through marriage.
(c) He likes Douglass and treats him better than the other slaves.
(d) He wants to abide by his wife's wishes and treat the slaves well.
11. What does Douglass get to eat as a child on the plantation?
(a) Table scraps.
12. What does Douglass's master teach him?
(a) Slaves are smart.
(b) Learning is hard.
(c) Education will lead to his freedom.
(d) Education will help him earn money.
13. Why does the slaveholder throw a female slave off the plantation in Chapter Nine?
(a) He catches her with another slave and is jealous.
(b) She is disabled from a fire.
(c) She is too young to do any work.
(d) She is his half sister.
14. Who says, "It would forever unfit him to be a slave?"
(a) Mrs. Auld.
(b) Mr. Lloyd.
(c) Mr. Auld.
(d) Mr. Anthony.
15. What does a slave need from his or her master to travel?
(a) A pass.
(b) Some money.
(c) A letter.
(d) A ticket.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the slave master tell his wife regarding not teaching slaves to read?
2. What happens to Douglass when Master Thomas has a conflict with his brother?
3. What makes Douglass unhappy during Chapter Seven?
4. Where does Douglass's master go in Chapter Nine that changes his behavior?
5. Who does Douglass say the slaveholders feel they are protected by?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)