|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Douglass at the end of Chapter Nine?
(a) He is traded to a new master for a horse.
(b) He runs away.
(c) He's lent to a slaveholder to be taught how to obey.
(d) He is sold to a new master.
2. What does Douglass get to eat as a child on the plantation?
(c) Table scraps.
3. What does "abolitionist" mean?
(a) A person from the south who is fighting to keep slavery laws intact.
(b) Someone who works to make laws for slaveholders stronger.
(c) Someone who wants to get rid of slavery.
(d) Someone who wants all slaves in the North free.
4. Who is Whittier?
(a) A slaveholder.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A poet.
5. What is the year that Douglass first remembers when he moved?
6. What is the name of the plantation owner where Douglass is treated better than other slaves?
(c) Lloyd .
7. When were the slaves able to rest on Mr. Covey's farm?
(b) Not very often.
(c) When the slave trainer was sleeping.
8. Who does Douglass have to fight with to get his daily food?
(b) All the slaves.
(d) Other slave children.
9. Approximately how old is Douglass when he goes back to his birth place?
10. What causes Douglass's first beating on Mr. Covey's farm?
(a) Being disrespectful.
(b) Speaking before being told to .
(c) Breaking a cart and gate.
(d) Damaging farm tools.
11. What causes Douglass to hate the slaveholders even more than usual?
(a) Deciding to give their slave less food than usual for working slowly.
(b) They trade him for a horse.
(c) Passing slaves to others without any gratitude for their years of service.
(d) They take all his books away.
12. What does Mr. Covey do in the morning and at night?
(a) Beat the slaves.
(b) Leave the farm to sell his goods.
(c) Read the Bible.
13. What does Douglass think will help him to become a free slave?
(a) God's spirit living in him.
(b) The kindness of his master.
(c) Moving to live with his master's relative.
(d) Doing what he's told.
14. What happens to Douglass's grandmother when she gets older?
(a) She has to move to a mud hut in the woods.
(b) She is allowed to go and take Douglass with her.
(c) She is freed.
(d) She continues to care for her master.
15. Where does Douglass's master go in Chapter Nine that changes his behavior?
(a) A community meeting.
(b) A slaveholders meeting.
(c) A Baptist camp meeting.
(d) A Methodist camp meeting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Douglass mainly do with his time off while working for Mr. Covey?
2. What happens to Douglass when Master Thomas has a conflict with his brother?
3. Why does Douglass like the job he does for Daniel?
4. What does Douglass use to practice his writing?
5. Why does Douglass have to go back to his birth place?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)