|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Douglass's grandmother when she gets older?
(a) She is allowed to go and take Douglass with her.
(b) She has to move to a mud hut in the woods.
(c) She continues to care for her master.
(d) She is freed.
2. What causes Douglass to hate the slaveholders even more than usual?
(a) Deciding to give their slave less food than usual for working slowly.
(b) They take all his books away.
(c) Passing slaves to others without any gratitude for their years of service.
(d) They trade him for a horse.
3. Why does Douglass have to go back to his birth place?
(a) His first master is mad with his current owners.
(b) His first master wants him to go with his son.
(c) He gets in trouble .
(d) His first master dies and has no will.
4. What plan does Douglass decide not to give up on by the end of Chapter Eight?
(a) To help his grandmother.
(b) To be free.
(c) To learn to write.
(d) To learn to read.
5. What does Douglass take with him when he goes on errands?
(a) A stick to write in the dirt.
(b) A piece of paper.
(c) A book.
(d) A newspaper.
6. Where does Douglass sleep while working on the plantation as a child?
(a) In one of the animal's stalls.
(b) In a hay stack.
(c) Under a blanket on the dirt floor.
(d) In a corn sack on the dirt floor.
7. What does the slave master tell his wife regarding not teaching slaves to read?
(a) He said that it's not safe.
(b) All are correct.
(c) He said that it's against the law.
(d) He said they would be unmanageable.
8. How many slaves has Mrs. Auld owned before?
9. Why does Douglass like the job he does for Daniel?
(a) He gets extra water.
(b) He gets food.
(c) He doesn't have to work as hard.
(d) He gets to sleep later the next day.
10. What does Douglass's master teach him?
(a) Education will help him earn money.
(b) Education will lead to his freedom.
(c) Slaves are smart.
(d) Learning is hard.
11. Which master did the slaves know to be violent?
(a) Master Thomas.
(b) Master Garrison.
(c) Master Andrew.
(d) Master Lloyd.
12. How is Douglass's new master in Chapter Nine different than Douglass' previous owners?
(a) He talks to Douglass like he does a white man.
(b) He's a coward.
(c) He's nice.
(d) He beats Douglass.
13. What does the slaveholder use as a way to justify slavery?
(a) The need for workers.
(b) Slaves need guidance to survive.
14. What does Douglass think will help him to become a free slave?
(a) Doing what he's told.
(b) God's spirit living in him.
(c) Moving to live with his master's relative.
(d) The kindness of his master.
15. Who ran after Douglass to take the newspaper or a book away?
(a) Mr. Auld.
(b) Mrs. Lloyd.
(c) Mrs. Auld.
(d) Mr. Daniel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Douglass describe as being tenderhearted when he first met her?
2. What is the name of the plantation owner where Douglass is treated better than other slaves?
3. What does Douglass use to practice his writing?
4. What does Douglass hope for by going to the new farm where he is lent to a man for a year?
5. How long does Douglass have to work on occasion?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)