|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Douglass compare the treatment of slaves in the city to?
(a) Treatment of criminals.
(b) Treatment of pigs.
(c) Treatment of slaves in the country.
(d) Treatment of slaves in the South.
2. Who teaches Douglass some written words?
(a) White overseers who like him.
(b) White boys in the street.
(c) Mrs. Lloyd.
(d) Mrs. Auld.
3. In Chapter Five, why does Douglass not get treated as poorly as the other slaves?
(a) He is liked by the master's wife.
(b) He plays with the master's children.
(c) He works an extra hour a day.
(d) He is too young to work in the fields.
4. Why does Douglass have to go back to his birth place?
(a) His first master dies and has no will.
(b) His first master is mad with his current owners.
(c) His first master wants him to go with his son.
(d) He gets in trouble .
5. What does Douglass's master teach him?
(a) Slaves are smart.
(b) Education will lead to his freedom.
(c) Education will help him earn money.
(d) Learning is hard.
6. Why does Douglass let his master's horse go?
(a) To retrieve it from his previous plantation so he could get some food.
(b) To keep the horse from getting killed.
(c) To be mean.
(d) To show that animals are not as smart as slaves.
7. Where does Douglass's master go in Chapter Nine that changes his behavior?
(a) A slaveholders meeting.
(b) A community meeting.
(c) A Methodist camp meeting.
(d) A Baptist camp meeting.
8. What causes Douglass to hate the slaveholders even more than usual?
(a) Passing slaves to others without any gratitude for their years of service.
(b) They take all his books away.
(c) They trade him for a horse.
(d) Deciding to give their slave less food than usual for working slowly.
9. Why does Douglass like the job he does for Daniel?
(a) He doesn't have to work as hard.
(b) He gets food.
(c) He gets extra water.
(d) He gets to sleep later the next day.
10. What does the slave master tell his wife regarding not teaching slaves to read?
(a) He said that it's against the law.
(b) He said they would be unmanageable.
(c) All are correct.
(d) He said that it's not safe.
11. What happens to Douglass when Master Thomas has a conflict with his brother?
(a) He is moved to Baltimore.
(b) He has to go work in the fields.
(c) He is beaten.
(d) He is moved to St. Michael's.
12. Who are the Thomases?
(a) Slaveholders who take good care of their slaves.
(b) Slave family who is sold and separated.
(c) Southern slaveholders.
(d) City slaveholders.
13. Who ran after Douglass to take the newspaper or a book away?
(a) Mrs. Lloyd.
(b) Mrs. Auld.
(c) Mr. Auld.
(d) Mr. Daniel.
14. What does the slaveholder use as a way to justify slavery?
(a) Slaves need guidance to survive.
(c) The need for workers.
15. What does a slave need from his or her master to travel?
(a) A letter.
(b) Some money.
(c) A ticket.
(d) A pass.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Douglass sent to live in order to help a relative of his master?
2. What happens to Douglass's grandmother when she gets older?
3. What does Douglass mainly do with his time off while working for Mr. Covey?
4. What is the name of the plantation owner where Douglass is treated better than other slaves?
5. What does Douglass hope for by going to the new farm where he is lent to a man for a year?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)