|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Douglass trade to learn new written words?
(b) A piece of candy.
2. Why does Douglass let his master's horse go?
(a) To keep the horse from getting killed.
(b) To show that animals are not as smart as slaves.
(c) To be mean.
(d) To retrieve it from his previous plantation so he could get some food.
3. Where does Douglass sleep while working on the plantation as a child?
(a) In one of the animal's stalls.
(b) Under a blanket on the dirt floor.
(c) In a hay stack.
(d) In a corn sack on the dirt floor.
4. What does Douglass take with him when he goes on errands?
(a) A stick to write in the dirt.
(b) A book.
(c) A newspaper.
(d) A piece of paper.
5. What is Douglass's job on Mr. Covey's farm?
(a) A field worker.
(b) Repairing the barn.
(c) Caring for the slaveholder's family.
(d) Taking care of barn animals.
6. What does Douglass hope for by going to the new farm where he is lent to a man for a year?
(a) To have more time to read.
(b) To have the chance to run away.
(c) To have more food.
(d) To be beaten less.
7. What does Douglass think will help him to become a free slave?
(a) The kindness of his master.
(b) Moving to live with his master's relative.
(c) Doing what he's told.
(d) God's spirit living in him.
8. Who became an abusive alcoholic?
(a) Master Andrew.
(b) Master Lloyd.
(c) Master Hugh.
(d) Master Thomas.
9. What does Douglass describe in detail in Chapter Seven?
(a) How he befriends a white child.
(b) When he moves to another plantation.
(c) How he begins going to school.
(d) How he continues to learn to read and write.
10. Who teaches Douglass some written words?
(a) Mrs. Lloyd.
(b) White overseers who like him.
(c) White boys in the street.
(d) Mrs. Auld.
11. What plan does Douglass decide not to give up on by the end of Chapter Eight?
(a) To learn to write.
(b) To learn to read.
(c) To be free.
(d) To help his grandmother.
12. What does Douglass start to go through in Chapter Nine that is new to him?
(a) More freedom.
(b) Extreme hunger.
(c) Extreme beatings.
(d) Less work and more time to play.
13. Who does Douglass describe as "heavenly"?
(a) Mr. Freeland .
(b) Captain Auld.
(c) Mr. Covey.
(d) Master Hugh.
14. How long does Douglass have to work on occasion?
(a) Until two in the morning.
(b) Until one in the morning.
(c) Until ten.
(d) Until midnight.
15. What does Douglass vow to do during Chapter Six?
(a) Learn to read.
(b) Learn to count money.
(c) Earn his freedom.
(d) Go to school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Douglass happy about receiving for his trip to help one of his master's relatives?
2. Why does Douglass have to go back to his birth place?
3. What causes Douglass to hate the slaveholders even more than usual?
4. In Chapter Five, why does Douglass not get treated as poorly as the other slaves?
5. What causes Douglass's first beating on Mr. Covey's farm?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)