|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Douglass use of Master Thomas's to help him write?
(b) History book.
(c) Spelling book.
2. What happens to Douglass at the end of Chapter Nine?
(a) He's lent to a slaveholder to be taught how to obey.
(b) He is sold to a new master.
(c) He is traded to a new master for a horse.
(d) He runs away.
3. What does Douglass trade to learn new written words?
(c) A piece of candy.
4. What does Douglass think will help him to become a free slave?
(a) The kindness of his master.
(b) God's spirit living in him.
(c) Moving to live with his master's relative.
(d) Doing what he's told.
5. What makes Douglass unhappy during Chapter Seven?
(a) Missing his mother.
(b) Being starved.
(c) His new found knowledge about slavery.
(d) Being beaten.
6. What does Douglass realize about education in Chapter Six?
(a) He is smart.
(b) Learning to read will help him earn money.
(c) Uneducated slaves can be controlled.
(d) Slaves can be educated.
7. What causes Douglass's first beating on Mr. Covey's farm?
(a) Damaging farm tools.
(b) Being disrespectful.
(c) Breaking a cart and gate.
(d) Speaking before being told to .
8. What does Mr. Covey do to keep the slaves working all the time?
(a) Give them more food if they continue working.
(b) Beat them if they stop working.
(c) Sneak up on them.
(d) Let them sleep longer if they work more.
9. What does Douglass hope for by going to the new farm where he is lent to a man for a year?
(a) To have the chance to run away.
(b) To be beaten less.
(c) To have more food.
(d) To have more time to read.
10. Who tries to help Douglass learn the alphabet?
(a) Mr. Auld.
(b) Mr. Anthony.
(c) Mrs. Auld.
(d) Mrs. Lloyd .
11. What is ranked the same in value as the slaves?
(a) House pets.
(b) Farm animals .
12. What happens to Douglass after he is given to Mrs. Lucretia?
(a) She gives him to Master Andrew.
(b) He moves with her to South Carolina.
(c) He's sent back to the plantation he just came from.
(d) He moves with her to North Carolina.
13. Who says, "It would forever unfit him to be a slave?"
(a) Mrs. Auld.
(b) Mr. Anthony.
(c) Mr. Lloyd.
(d) Mr. Auld.
14. Who are the Thomases?
(a) Slaveholders who take good care of their slaves.
(b) Slave family who is sold and separated.
(c) Southern slaveholders.
(d) City slaveholders.
15. What does Douglass compare the treatment of slaves in the city to?
(a) Treatment of slaves in the country.
(b) Treatment of criminals.
(c) Treatment of slaves in the South.
(d) Treatment of pigs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Douglass have to fight with to get his daily food?
2. What does a slave need from his or her master to travel?
3. Why does Douglass have to go back to his birth place?
4. What does Douglass get to eat as a child on the plantation?
5. Which slaveholders exhibit more morality?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)