|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Douglass describe in Chapter Five?
(a) How slaves are traded.
(b) How he is treated as a slave.
(c) How slaves are punished.
(d) Relationships of slaves.
2. Who does Douglass describe as being tenderhearted when he first met her?
(a) Mrs. Anthony.
(b) Mrs. Lloyd.
(c) Ms. Daniel.
(d) Mrs. Auld.
3. What does Mr. Covey do in the morning and at night?
(b) Beat the slaves.
(c) Leave the farm to sell his goods.
(d) Read the Bible.
4. What happens to Douglass's grandmother when she gets older?
(a) She has to move to a mud hut in the woods.
(b) She is freed.
(c) She is allowed to go and take Douglass with her.
(d) She continues to care for her master.
5. What does Douglass vow to do during Chapter Six?
(a) Learn to count money.
(b) Go to school.
(c) Learn to read.
(d) Earn his freedom.
6. What does Douglass compare the treatment of slaves in the city to?
(a) Treatment of slaves in the South.
(b) Treatment of slaves in the country.
(c) Treatment of pigs.
(d) Treatment of criminals.
7. Who does Douglass have to fight with to get his daily food?
(a) Other slave children.
(b) All the slaves.
8. When were the slaves able to rest on Mr. Covey's farm?
(a) Not very often.
(d) When the slave trainer was sleeping.
9. How long does Douglass have to work on occasion?
(a) Until ten.
(b) Until two in the morning.
(c) Until one in the morning.
(d) Until midnight.
10. What happens to Douglass when Master Thomas has a conflict with his brother?
(a) He has to go work in the fields.
(b) He is beaten.
(c) He is moved to St. Michael's.
(d) He is moved to Baltimore.
11. Who became an abusive alcoholic?
(a) Master Thomas.
(b) Master Andrew.
(c) Master Hugh.
(d) Master Lloyd.
12. Which master did the slaves know to be violent?
(a) Master Andrew.
(b) Master Garrison.
(c) Master Thomas.
(d) Master Lloyd.
13. What is Douglass's job on Mr. Covey's farm?
(a) A field worker.
(b) Caring for the slaveholder's family.
(c) Repairing the barn.
(d) Taking care of barn animals.
14. Who is Whittier?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A poet.
(d) A slaveholder.
15. Who teaches Douglass some written words?
(a) White boys in the street.
(b) Mrs. Auld.
(c) Mrs. Lloyd.
(d) White overseers who like him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which slaveholders exhibit more morality?
2. Who ran after Douglass to take the newspaper or a book away?
3. What does Mr. Covey do to keep the slaves working all the time?
4. What does Douglass trade to learn new written words?
5. Why is Douglass's new master in Chapter Nine different than his previous owners?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)