|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the slave trainer that Douglass is lent to for a year get a female slave for?
(a) To trade her for a male slave to work in the fields.
(b) To help care for the younger slaves.
(c) To breed with .
(d) To care for his family and household chores.
2. Who does Douglass say he will miss from his former plantation?
(a) No one.
(b) Master Daniel.
(c) Master Garrison.
3. What does Douglass use to practice his writing?
(b) Quill and ink.
(c) Stick in the dirt.
4. What is ranked the same in value as the slaves?
(a) Farm animals .
(c) House pets.
5. How is Douglass's new master in Chapter Nine different than Douglass' previous owners?
(a) He's nice.
(b) He talks to Douglass like he does a white man.
(c) He's a coward.
(d) He beats Douglass.
6. What does Douglass mainly do with his time off while working for Mr. Covey?
(b) Visit with street children.
7. What does Douglass get to eat as a child on the plantation?
(b) Table scraps.
8. Approximately how old is Douglass when he goes back to his birth place?
9. What does Douglass realize about education in Chapter Six?
(a) Slaves can be educated.
(b) Learning to read will help him earn money.
(c) Uneducated slaves can be controlled.
(d) He is smart.
10. What does Douglass think will help him to become a free slave?
(a) The kindness of his master.
(b) God's spirit living in him.
(c) Moving to live with his master's relative.
(d) Doing what he's told.
11. What happens to Douglass when Master Thomas has a conflict with his brother?
(a) He is moved to St. Michael's.
(b) He is beaten.
(c) He has to go work in the fields.
(d) He is moved to Baltimore.
12. What does the slaveholder use as a way to justify slavery?
(a) Slaves need guidance to survive.
(b) The need for workers.
13. What is the year that Douglass first remembers when he moved?
14. Who is Whittier?
(a) A slaveholder.
(b) A poet.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A doctor.
15. What does Douglass describe in Chapter Five?
(a) How he is treated as a slave.
(b) How slaves are traded.
(c) How slaves are punished.
(d) Relationships of slaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who became an abusive alcoholic?
2. What happens to Douglass at the end of Chapter Nine?
3. What is Douglass's job on Mr. Covey's farm?
4. What does a slave need from his or her master to travel?
5. What does Douglass not have enough time to do while working for Mr. Covey?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)