|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Douglass to hate the slaveholders even more than usual?
(a) Deciding to give their slave less food than usual for working slowly.
(b) They take all his books away.
(c) They trade him for a horse.
(d) Passing slaves to others without any gratitude for their years of service.
2. Who does Douglass say the slaveholders feel they are protected by?
(c) Town Mayors.
3. What does Douglass hope for by going to the new farm where he is lent to a man for a year?
(a) To have more food.
(b) To be beaten less.
(c) To have the chance to run away.
(d) To have more time to read.
4. What causes Douglass to change in Chapter Ten?
(a) Learning to read.
(b) Fighting the slave trainer and winning.
(d) Learning to write.
5. Who is Whittier?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A poet.
(c) A slaveholder.
(d) A doctor.
6. What does Douglass describe in detail in Chapter Seven?
(a) When he moves to another plantation.
(b) How he begins going to school.
(c) How he continues to learn to read and write.
(d) How he befriends a white child.
7. What happens to Douglass's grandmother when she gets older?
(a) She continues to care for her master.
(b) She is allowed to go and take Douglass with her.
(c) She is freed.
(d) She has to move to a mud hut in the woods.
8. What does the slave master tell his wife regarding not teaching slaves to read?
(a) All are correct.
(b) He said that it's against the law.
(c) He said they would be unmanageable.
(d) He said that it's not safe.
9. Where does Douglass sleep while working on the plantation as a child?
(a) In one of the animal's stalls.
(b) In a corn sack on the dirt floor.
(c) Under a blanket on the dirt floor.
(d) In a hay stack.
10. What does Mr. Covey do in the morning and at night?
(a) Beat the slaves.
(c) Read the Bible.
(d) Leave the farm to sell his goods.
11. What is the year that Douglass first remembers when he moved?
12. What does Douglass trade to learn new written words?
(c) A piece of candy.
13. What is Douglass most upset about by the end of Chapter Eight?
(a) That his first slaveholder doesn't put him in his will.
(b) That his grandmother is mistreated.
(c) He still has not tried to escape.
(d) He has to go work in the fields.
14. Who does Douglass have to fight with to get his daily food?
(a) All the slaves.
(b) Other slave children.
15. What is the subject matter of two books that Douglass reads and finds interesting?
(a) Slavery covering both positions.
(b) How slavery will change in the future.
(c) Life of an educated white man.
(d) Life of an educated slave.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Douglass describe as "heavenly"?
2. Why does Douglass have to go back to his birth place?
3. Why is Douglass's new master in Chapter Nine different than his previous owners?
4. What does Douglass not have enough time to do while working for Mr. Covey?
5. Who ran after Douglass to take the newspaper or a book away?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)