|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the year that Douglass first remembers when he moved?
2. What does Douglass describe in Chapter Five?
(a) Relationships of slaves.
(b) How slaves are traded.
(c) How he is treated as a slave.
(d) How slaves are punished.
3. What does Douglass use to practice his writing?
(b) Quill and ink.
(d) Stick in the dirt.
4. What happens to Douglass when Master Thomas has a conflict with his brother?
(a) He is beaten.
(b) He is moved to Baltimore.
(c) He has to go work in the fields.
(d) He is moved to St. Michael's.
5. What is the name of the plantation owner where Douglass is treated better than other slaves?
(c) Lloyd .
6. What happens to Douglass after he is given to Mrs. Lucretia?
(a) She gives him to Master Andrew.
(b) He moves with her to North Carolina.
(c) He's sent back to the plantation he just came from.
(d) He moves with her to South Carolina.
7. What causes Douglass to hate the slaveholders even more than usual?
(a) They trade him for a horse.
(b) Deciding to give their slave less food than usual for working slowly.
(c) Passing slaves to others without any gratitude for their years of service.
(d) They take all his books away.
8. Where does Douglass sleep while working on the plantation as a child?
(a) Under a blanket on the dirt floor.
(b) In one of the animal's stalls.
(c) In a hay stack.
(d) In a corn sack on the dirt floor.
9. Where does Douglass's master go in Chapter Nine that changes his behavior?
(a) A Methodist camp meeting.
(b) A Baptist camp meeting.
(c) A slaveholders meeting.
(d) A community meeting.
10. What does Douglass get to eat as a child on the plantation?
(a) Table scraps.
11. What is Douglass's job on Mr. Covey's farm?
(a) A field worker.
(b) Taking care of barn animals.
(c) Repairing the barn.
(d) Caring for the slaveholder's family.
12. What does Douglass use of Master Thomas's to help him write?
(a) History book.
(c) Spelling book.
13. In what year does Chapter Ten start?
14. Who does Douglass have to fight with to get his daily food?
(a) Other slave children.
(d) All the slaves.
15. What is the subject matter of two books that Douglass reads and finds interesting?
(a) Slavery covering both positions.
(b) How slavery will change in the future.
(c) Life of an educated slave.
(d) Life of an educated white man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Douglass sent to live in order to help a relative of his master?
2. What is ranked the same in value as the slaves?
3. Which slaveholders exhibit more morality?
4. What does "abolitionist" mean?
5. What causes Douglass to change in Chapter Ten?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)