|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Douglass say he will miss from his former plantation?
(a) No one.
(b) Master Daniel.
(d) Master Garrison.
2. Where does Douglass sleep while working on the plantation as a child?
(a) Under a blanket on the dirt floor.
(b) In one of the animal's stalls.
(c) In a corn sack on the dirt floor.
(d) In a hay stack.
3. What does Douglass get to eat as a child on the plantation?
(a) Table scraps.
4. What does the slave master tell his wife regarding not teaching slaves to read?
(a) He said that it's not safe.
(b) All are correct.
(c) He said they would be unmanageable.
(d) He said that it's against the law.
5. Who teaches Douglass some written words?
(a) Mrs. Lloyd.
(b) White boys in the street.
(c) White overseers who like him.
(d) Mrs. Auld.
6. Who is the new slaveholder in Chapter Nine that Douglass is not afraid to go to?
(a) Mr. Covey.
(b) Mr. Leonard.
(c) Mr. Carry.
(d) Mr. Johnson.
7. What does Mr. Covey do to keep the slaves working all the time?
(a) Beat them if they stop working.
(b) Sneak up on them.
(c) Give them more food if they continue working.
(d) Let them sleep longer if they work more.
8. What does Mrs. Auld do for a living?
(a) She is a housewife.
(b) She is a secretary.
(c) She owns a business.
(d) She is a teacher.
9. Where is Douglass supposed to look while talking to the master's wife?
(a) Look at the floor.
(b) Look away.
(c) Look ahead, just not right at her.
(d) Look her in the eyes.
10. What does Douglass describe in Chapter Five?
(a) Relationships of slaves.
(b) How slaves are punished.
(c) How he is treated as a slave.
(d) How slaves are traded.
11. What happens to Douglass after he is given to Mrs. Lucretia?
(a) She gives him to Master Andrew.
(b) He moves with her to North Carolina.
(c) He moves with her to South Carolina.
(d) He's sent back to the plantation he just came from.
12. Approximately how old is Douglass when he goes back to his birth place?
13. What happens to Douglass at the end of Chapter Nine?
(a) He runs away.
(b) He's lent to a slaveholder to be taught how to obey.
(c) He is sold to a new master.
(d) He is traded to a new master for a horse.
14. Where does Douglass's master go in Chapter Nine that changes his behavior?
(a) A community meeting.
(b) A Baptist camp meeting.
(c) A slaveholders meeting.
(d) A Methodist camp meeting.
15. What does Douglass compare the treatment of slaves in the city to?
(a) Treatment of pigs.
(b) Treatment of slaves in the South.
(c) Treatment of slaves in the country.
(d) Treatment of criminals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Douglass describe in detail in Chapter Seven?
2. Who is Whittier?
3. How long does Douglass have to work on occasion?
4. What does Mr. Covey do in the morning and at night?
5. What is the job that Douglass performs for Daniel when he goes hunting?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)