|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Douglass unhappy during Chapter Seven?
(a) Being starved.
(b) Missing his mother.
(c) Being beaten.
(d) His new found knowledge about slavery.
2. Which slaveholders exhibit more morality?
(a) City slaveholders.
(b) The Garrisons.
(c) Southern slaveholders.
(d) The Lloyds.
3. Where does Douglass's master go in Chapter Nine that changes his behavior?
(a) A Baptist camp meeting.
(b) A slaveholders meeting.
(c) A Methodist camp meeting.
(d) A community meeting.
4. What causes Douglass to hate the slaveholders even more than usual?
(a) They trade him for a horse.
(b) They take all his books away.
(c) Deciding to give their slave less food than usual for working slowly.
(d) Passing slaves to others without any gratitude for their years of service.
5. Who does Douglass describe as "heavenly"?
(a) Master Hugh.
(b) Mr. Freeland .
(c) Mr. Covey.
(d) Captain Auld.
6. Why does the slaveholder throw a female slave off the plantation in Chapter Nine?
(a) She is disabled from a fire.
(b) She is too young to do any work.
(c) She is his half sister.
(d) He catches her with another slave and is jealous.
7. What does Douglass use to practice his writing?
(b) Quill and ink.
(d) Stick in the dirt.
8. What is ranked the same in value as the slaves?
(c) House pets.
(d) Farm animals .
9. What happens to Douglass at the end of Chapter Nine?
(a) He is traded to a new master for a horse.
(b) He runs away.
(c) He is sold to a new master.
(d) He's lent to a slaveholder to be taught how to obey.
10. What is the name of the plantation owner where Douglass is treated better than other slaves?
(b) Lloyd .
11. In Chapter Five, why does Douglass not get treated as poorly as the other slaves?
(a) He plays with the master's children.
(b) He is liked by the master's wife.
(c) He is too young to work in the fields.
(d) He works an extra hour a day.
12. What does the slaveholder use as a way to justify slavery?
(c) The need for workers.
(d) Slaves need guidance to survive.
13. Who teaches Douglass some written words?
(a) Mrs. Lloyd.
(b) Mrs. Auld.
(c) White overseers who like him.
(d) White boys in the street.
14. Who does Douglass say he will miss from his former plantation?
(b) Master Daniel.
(c) No one.
(d) Master Garrison.
15. Where is Douglass supposed to look while talking to the master's wife?
(a) Look away.
(b) Look her in the eyes.
(c) Look at the floor.
(d) Look ahead, just not right at her.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does Chapter Ten start?
2. What does Douglass get to eat as a child on the plantation?
3. What does a slave need from his or her master to travel?
4. Why does Douglass like the job he does for Daniel?
5. How long does Douglass have to work on occasion?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)