|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the new slaveholder in Chapter Nine that Douglass is not afraid to go to?
(a) Mr. Carry.
(b) Mr. Johnson.
(c) Mr. Covey.
(d) Mr. Leonard.
2. Where is Douglass supposed to look while talking to the master's wife?
(a) Look away.
(b) Look at the floor.
(c) Look ahead, just not right at her.
(d) Look her in the eyes.
3. Why does Douglass like the job he does for Daniel?
(a) He gets to sleep later the next day.
(b) He gets extra water.
(c) He doesn't have to work as hard.
(d) He gets food.
4. What is Douglass's job on Mr. Covey's farm?
(a) Caring for the slaveholder's family.
(b) A field worker.
(c) Taking care of barn animals.
(d) Repairing the barn.
5. What does Douglass get to eat as a child on the plantation?
(d) Table scraps.
6. Why is Douglass's new master in Chapter Nine different than his previous owners?
(a) He wants to abide by his wife's wishes and treat the slaves well.
(b) He is an abolitionist.
(c) He became a slaveholder when he was older through marriage.
(d) He likes Douglass and treats him better than the other slaves.
7. Who ran after Douglass to take the newspaper or a book away?
(a) Mrs. Auld.
(b) Mr. Daniel.
(c) Mr. Auld.
(d) Mrs. Lloyd.
8. Who does Douglass say he will miss from his former plantation?
(a) Master Daniel.
(c) Master Garrison.
(d) No one.
9. What is the subject matter of two books that Douglass reads and finds interesting?
(a) Life of an educated white man.
(b) How slavery will change in the future.
(c) Life of an educated slave.
(d) Slavery covering both positions.
10. Who is Whittier?
(a) A slaveholder.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A poet.
11. What does Douglass hope for by going to the new farm where he is lent to a man for a year?
(a) To have more food.
(b) To have the chance to run away.
(c) To be beaten less.
(d) To have more time to read.
12. How is Douglass's new master in Chapter Nine different than Douglass' previous owners?
(a) He talks to Douglass like he does a white man.
(b) He's nice.
(c) He beats Douglass.
(d) He's a coward.
13. What does Mrs. Auld do for a living?
(a) She owns a business.
(b) She is a housewife.
(c) She is a secretary.
(d) She is a teacher.
14. What does Mr. Covey do in the morning and at night?
(a) Leave the farm to sell his goods.
(b) Read the Bible.
(c) Beat the slaves.
15. What causes Douglass to change in Chapter Ten?
(a) Fighting the slave trainer and winning.
(b) Learning to read.
(d) Learning to write.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Douglass at the end of Chapter Nine?
2. What does the slaveholder use as a way to justify slavery?
3. What does the slave master tell his wife regarding not teaching slaves to read?
4. What does Douglass trade to learn new written words?
5. Approximately how old is Douglass when he goes back to his birth place?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)