|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Douglass most upset about by the end of Chapter Eight?
(a) That his first slaveholder doesn't put him in his will.
(b) He still has not tried to escape.
(c) That his grandmother is mistreated.
(d) He has to go work in the fields.
2. What is Douglass happy about receiving for his trip to help one of his master's relatives?
(a) A pair of shoes.
(b) His first pair of pants.
(c) A new shirt.
(d) A hair cut.
3. Approximately how old is Douglass when he goes back to his birth place?
4. What happens to Douglass after he is given to Mrs. Lucretia?
(a) He moves with her to South Carolina.
(b) He moves with her to North Carolina.
(c) He's sent back to the plantation he just came from.
(d) She gives him to Master Andrew.
5. What does Douglass get to eat as a child on the plantation?
(c) Table scraps.
6. What does Douglass not have enough time to do while working for Mr. Covey?
(b) Finish his allotted work.
(d) Read .
7. What causes Douglass to hate the slaveholders even more than usual?
(a) They take all his books away.
(b) They trade him for a horse.
(c) Deciding to give their slave less food than usual for working slowly.
(d) Passing slaves to others without any gratitude for their years of service.
8. Who says, "It would forever unfit him to be a slave?"
(a) Mr. Lloyd.
(b) Mr. Auld.
(c) Mrs. Auld.
(d) Mr. Anthony.
9. What makes Douglass unhappy during Chapter Seven?
(a) Missing his mother.
(b) Being beaten.
(c) Being starved.
(d) His new found knowledge about slavery.
10. What does Mr. Covey do in the morning and at night?
(a) Read the Bible.
(c) Beat the slaves.
(d) Leave the farm to sell his goods.
11. What does "abolitionist" mean?
(a) Someone who wants to get rid of slavery.
(b) Someone who wants all slaves in the North free.
(c) A person from the south who is fighting to keep slavery laws intact.
(d) Someone who works to make laws for slaveholders stronger.
12. Where is Douglass sent to live in order to help a relative of his master?
(c) To a nearby farm.
13. What happens to Douglass's grandmother when she gets older?
(a) She is allowed to go and take Douglass with her.
(b) She has to move to a mud hut in the woods.
(c) She is freed.
(d) She continues to care for her master.
14. Where is Douglass supposed to look while talking to the master's wife?
(a) Look ahead, just not right at her.
(b) Look at the floor.
(c) Look away.
(d) Look her in the eyes.
15. What causes Douglass to change in Chapter Ten?
(a) Learning to write.
(b) Learning to read.
(d) Fighting the slave trainer and winning.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Douglass when Master Thomas has a conflict with his brother?
2. What does Douglass realize about education in Chapter Six?
3. In what year does Chapter Ten start?
4. How many slaves has Mrs. Auld owned before?
5. What does Douglass mainly do with his time off while working for Mr. Covey?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)