|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Douglass to change in Chapter Ten?
(a) Learning to write.
(b) Learning to read.
(c) Fighting the slave trainer and winning.
2. What does Douglass compare the treatment of slaves in the city to?
(a) Treatment of slaves in the country.
(b) Treatment of pigs.
(c) Treatment of criminals.
(d) Treatment of slaves in the South.
3. Who does Douglass say he will miss from his former plantation?
(a) Master Garrison.
(b) No one.
(d) Master Daniel.
4. Who says, "It would forever unfit him to be a slave?"
(a) Mr. Anthony.
(b) Mrs. Auld.
(c) Mr. Auld.
(d) Mr. Lloyd.
5. What happens to Douglass's grandmother when she gets older?
(a) She continues to care for her master.
(b) She has to move to a mud hut in the woods.
(c) She is allowed to go and take Douglass with her.
(d) She is freed.
6. Why does Douglass like the job he does for Daniel?
(a) He gets food.
(b) He doesn't have to work as hard.
(c) He gets extra water.
(d) He gets to sleep later the next day.
7. What happens to Douglass at the end of Chapter Nine?
(a) He runs away.
(b) He is traded to a new master for a horse.
(c) He is sold to a new master.
(d) He's lent to a slaveholder to be taught how to obey.
8. When were the slaves able to rest on Mr. Covey's farm?
(a) When the slave trainer was sleeping.
(b) Not very often.
9. What does Douglass not have enough time to do while working for Mr. Covey?
(b) Read .
(d) Finish his allotted work.
10. What causes Douglass's first beating on Mr. Covey's farm?
(a) Damaging farm tools.
(b) Breaking a cart and gate.
(c) Being disrespectful.
(d) Speaking before being told to .
11. What does "abolitionist" mean?
(a) Someone who wants to get rid of slavery.
(b) A person from the south who is fighting to keep slavery laws intact.
(c) Someone who works to make laws for slaveholders stronger.
(d) Someone who wants all slaves in the North free.
12. What is the name of the plantation owner where Douglass is treated better than other slaves?
(a) Lloyd .
13. What plan does Douglass decide not to give up on by the end of Chapter Eight?
(a) To help his grandmother.
(b) To learn to read.
(c) To learn to write.
(d) To be free.
14. Who teaches Douglass some written words?
(a) Mrs. Auld.
(b) Mrs. Lloyd.
(c) White boys in the street.
(d) White overseers who like him.
15. Who is the new slaveholder in Chapter Nine that Douglass is not afraid to go to?
(a) Mr. Carry.
(b) Mr. Leonard.
(c) Mr. Johnson.
(d) Mr. Covey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Douglass use to practice his writing?
2. What does Douglass hope for by going to the new farm where he is lent to a man for a year?
3. What causes Douglass to hate the slaveholders even more than usual?
4. What does Douglass take with him when he goes on errands?
5. What is the job that Douglass performs for Daniel when he goes hunting?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)