|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Douglass let his master's horse go?
(a) To be mean.
(b) To retrieve it from his previous plantation so he could get some food.
(c) To show that animals are not as smart as slaves.
(d) To keep the horse from getting killed.
2. Approximately how old is Douglass when he goes back to his birth place?
3. What causes Douglass to hate the slaveholders even more than usual?
(a) Passing slaves to others without any gratitude for their years of service.
(b) Deciding to give their slave less food than usual for working slowly.
(c) They trade him for a horse.
(d) They take all his books away.
4. What causes Douglass to change in Chapter Ten?
(a) Learning to write.
(b) Learning to read.
(d) Fighting the slave trainer and winning.
5. When were the slaves able to rest on Mr. Covey's farm?
(c) Not very often.
(d) When the slave trainer was sleeping.
6. What happens to Douglass at the end of Chapter Nine?
(a) He runs away.
(b) He is traded to a new master for a horse.
(c) He's lent to a slaveholder to be taught how to obey.
(d) He is sold to a new master.
7. What causes Douglass's first beating on Mr. Covey's farm?
(a) Speaking before being told to .
(b) Being disrespectful.
(c) Breaking a cart and gate.
(d) Damaging farm tools.
8. What does Mr. Covey do to keep the slaves working all the time?
(a) Let them sleep longer if they work more.
(b) Beat them if they stop working.
(c) Give them more food if they continue working.
(d) Sneak up on them.
9. Where is Douglass sent to live in order to help a relative of his master?
(d) To a nearby farm.
10. Why is Douglass's new master in Chapter Nine different than his previous owners?
(a) He likes Douglass and treats him better than the other slaves.
(b) He became a slaveholder when he was older through marriage.
(c) He wants to abide by his wife's wishes and treat the slaves well.
(d) He is an abolitionist.
11. What plan does Douglass decide not to give up on by the end of Chapter Eight?
(a) To learn to read.
(b) To help his grandmother.
(c) To learn to write.
(d) To be free.
12. What is Douglass's job on Mr. Covey's farm?
(a) Caring for the slaveholder's family.
(b) A field worker.
(c) Repairing the barn.
(d) Taking care of barn animals.
13. What is ranked the same in value as the slaves?
(a) House pets.
(b) Farm animals .
14. Who does Douglass describe as being tenderhearted when he first met her?
(a) Ms. Daniel.
(b) Mrs. Auld.
(c) Mrs. Lloyd.
(d) Mrs. Anthony.
15. Where does Douglass sleep while working on the plantation as a child?
(a) In one of the animal's stalls.
(b) In a hay stack.
(c) In a corn sack on the dirt floor.
(d) Under a blanket on the dirt floor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Douglass say he will miss from his former plantation?
2. What is the year that Douglass first remembers when he moved?
3. Who does Douglass say the slaveholders feel they are protected by?
4. How long does Douglass have to work on occasion?
5. What is Douglass most upset about by the end of Chapter Eight?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)