|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a slave need from his or her master to travel?
(a) A letter.
(b) A ticket.
(c) Some money.
(d) A pass.
2. What is the job that Douglass performs for Daniel when he goes hunting?
(a) He flushes out the birds.
(b) He retrieves the birds.
(c) He chases squirrels up trees.
(d) He does bird calls.
3. What does Mr. Covey do in the morning and at night?
(a) Leave the farm to sell his goods.
(b) Read the Bible.
(c) Beat the slaves.
4. Which slaveholders exhibit more morality?
(a) City slaveholders.
(b) The Garrisons.
(c) The Lloyds.
(d) Southern slaveholders.
5. In what year does Chapter Ten start?
6. Who says, "It would forever unfit him to be a slave?"
(a) Mr. Anthony.
(b) Mr. Lloyd.
(c) Mrs. Auld.
(d) Mr. Auld.
7. Which master did the slaves know to be violent?
(a) Master Andrew.
(b) Master Garrison.
(c) Master Thomas.
(d) Master Lloyd.
8. What causes Douglass to hate the slaveholders even more than usual?
(a) They take all his books away.
(b) Passing slaves to others without any gratitude for their years of service.
(c) They trade him for a horse.
(d) Deciding to give their slave less food than usual for working slowly.
9. Why is Douglass's new master in Chapter Nine different than his previous owners?
(a) He is an abolitionist.
(b) He became a slaveholder when he was older through marriage.
(c) He likes Douglass and treats him better than the other slaves.
(d) He wants to abide by his wife's wishes and treat the slaves well.
10. What does Douglass think will help him to become a free slave?
(a) God's spirit living in him.
(b) Moving to live with his master's relative.
(c) Doing what he's told.
(d) The kindness of his master.
11. What causes Douglass to change in Chapter Ten?
(a) Fighting the slave trainer and winning.
(b) Learning to write.
(c) Learning to read.
12. What does "abolitionist" mean?
(a) Someone who wants all slaves in the North free.
(b) A person from the south who is fighting to keep slavery laws intact.
(c) Someone who wants to get rid of slavery.
(d) Someone who works to make laws for slaveholders stronger.
13. What does Douglass vow to do during Chapter Six?
(a) Go to school.
(b) Learn to read.
(c) Earn his freedom.
(d) Learn to count money.
14. Where does Douglass sleep while working on the plantation as a child?
(a) In a corn sack on the dirt floor.
(b) Under a blanket on the dirt floor.
(c) In one of the animal's stalls.
(d) In a hay stack.
15. How is Douglass's new master in Chapter Nine different than Douglass' previous owners?
(a) He talks to Douglass like he does a white man.
(b) He's nice.
(c) He beats Douglass.
(d) He's a coward.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Douglass trade to learn new written words?
2. Who teaches Douglass some written words?
3. Who does Douglass say he will miss from his former plantation?
4. What does Mrs. Auld do for a living?
5. Why does Douglass have to go back to his birth place?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)