|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the Thomases?
(a) Slaveholders who take good care of their slaves.
(b) Slave family who is sold and separated.
(c) City slaveholders.
(d) Southern slaveholders.
2. What does Douglass mainly do with his time off while working for Mr. Covey?
(b) Visit with street children.
3. What is the subject matter of two books that Douglass reads and finds interesting?
(a) Life of an educated white man.
(b) Life of an educated slave.
(c) Slavery covering both positions.
(d) How slavery will change in the future.
4. In Chapter Five, why does Douglass not get treated as poorly as the other slaves?
(a) He plays with the master's children.
(b) He is too young to work in the fields.
(c) He works an extra hour a day.
(d) He is liked by the master's wife.
5. Where does Douglass sleep while working on the plantation as a child?
(a) In one of the animal's stalls.
(b) In a corn sack on the dirt floor.
(c) In a hay stack.
(d) Under a blanket on the dirt floor.
6. Where is Douglass sent to live in order to help a relative of his master?
(c) To a nearby farm.
7. What is the job that Douglass performs for Daniel when he goes hunting?
(a) He chases squirrels up trees.
(b) He retrieves the birds.
(c) He does bird calls.
(d) He flushes out the birds.
8. What is Douglass happy about receiving for his trip to help one of his master's relatives?
(a) A hair cut.
(b) A new shirt.
(c) His first pair of pants.
(d) A pair of shoes.
9. What does Mrs. Auld do for a living?
(a) She owns a business.
(b) She is a housewife.
(c) She is a secretary.
(d) She is a teacher.
10. What does the slave master tell his wife regarding not teaching slaves to read?
(a) He said that it's not safe.
(b) He said that it's against the law.
(c) All are correct.
(d) He said they would be unmanageable.
11. Who does Douglass describe as being tenderhearted when he first met her?
(a) Mrs. Anthony.
(b) Mrs. Auld.
(c) Mrs. Lloyd.
(d) Ms. Daniel.
12. Where is Douglass supposed to look while talking to the master's wife?
(a) Look away.
(b) Look at the floor.
(c) Look her in the eyes.
(d) Look ahead, just not right at her.
13. Which master did the slaves know to be violent?
(a) Master Andrew.
(b) Master Garrison.
(c) Master Lloyd.
(d) Master Thomas.
14. How long does Douglass have to work on occasion?
(a) Until midnight.
(b) Until ten.
(c) Until two in the morning.
(d) Until one in the morning.
15. What causes Douglass to hate the slaveholders even more than usual?
(a) They trade him for a horse.
(b) Passing slaves to others without any gratitude for their years of service.
(c) They take all his books away.
(d) Deciding to give their slave less food than usual for working slowly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Douglass's master go in Chapter Nine that changes his behavior?
2. Who does Douglass describe as "heavenly"?
3. What does Mr. Covey do in the morning and at night?
4. What is Douglass's job on Mr. Covey's farm?
5. Who is the new slaveholder in Chapter Nine that Douglass is not afraid to go to?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)