|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the slaves produce on the main farm besides tobacco and corn?
2. Why is Douglass shocked at seeing the female slave being beaten?
(a) She is young and pregnant.
(b) He lives at the far end of the farm and is sheltered from these occurrences.
(c) He thinks she is nice.
(d) He thinks the supervisor is a good man.
3. Why does the Colonel put tar on the fence?
(a) To identify any slave that attempts to steal.
(b) To keep the animals away.
(c) To ruin the slaves only clothes if they try to climb it.
(d) To know if the slaves try to escape.
4. Phillips compares the Mississippi Valley to a story in what publication?
(a) A letter.
(b) A newspaper.
(c) A journal.
(d) The Bible.
5. What is a main theme that Douglass uses in Chapter Three?
(a) Hunger will cause people to do almost anything.
(b) Competition brings out the best in people.
(c) Love can come from unexpected sources.
(d) Slavery makes people feel less than human.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what time period of his life does Douglass's detailed descriptions in Chapter Two take place?
2. What happens when Phillips goes to the police about issues related to slavery?
3. Garrison asks the reader for sympathy for whom?
4. What is the subject matter of two books that Douglass reads and finds interesting?
5. How many years does Garrison publish his newspaper?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)