|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a main theme that Douglass uses in Chapter Three?
(a) Hunger will cause people to do almost anything.
(b) Competition brings out the best in people.
(c) Love can come from unexpected sources.
(d) Slavery makes people feel less than human.
2. What does Colonel Lloyd own that takes five men to maintain?
(a) A pool.
(b) A garden.
(c) A ship.
(d) A large food storage building.
3. What is the name of the newspaper Garrison publishes?
(a) The Slave Master.
(b) The Slave Trader.
(c) The Liberator.
(d) New Englander.
4. Whose offices and printing presses are destroyed in the Second Preface?
(a) A doctor's.
(b) A lawyer's.
(c) A teacher's.
(d) A pastor's.
5. What is the "West Indies Experiment?"
(a) An experiment to see if slaves that were freed would be just as productive as the slaves who were not.
(b) An experiment to test working conditions on plantations.
(c) An experiment to keep slave families together.
(d) An experiment to make white people slaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Douglass begin Chapter One talking about?
2. In what time period of his life does Douglass's detailed descriptions in Chapter Two take place?
3. What is the possible real reason that the female slave was beaten?
4. What is the name of the main farm house that Colonel Edward Lloyd owns?
5. What best defines what mulatto means?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)