|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the slave who is killed in the water when he refuses to get out after being beaten?
2. What extreme example does Douglass give in Chapter Four of what slaveholders are able to get away with?
(a) Murdering slaves.
(b) Overworking slaves.
(c) Starving slaves.
(d) Beating slaves.
3. What body of water does Phillips say Douglass has seen the ships sailing on?
(a) The Boston Harbor.
(b) The Chesapeake Bay.
(c) Cape Cod.
(d) The Atlantic Ocean.
4. What is the "West Indies Experiment?"
(a) An experiment to test working conditions on plantations.
(b) An experiment to make white people slaves.
(c) An experiment to see if slaves that were freed would be just as productive as the slaves who were not.
(d) An experiment to keep slave families together.
5. Garrison refers to Douglas as a man with...
(a) "Commanding stature."
(b) "High regard."
(c) "Little hope."
(d) "A body ravaged by time."
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the slaves produce on the main farm besides tobacco and corn?
2. Wendell Phillips is the son of a mayor of what city in Massachusetts?
3. What is the name of the overseer who Douglass describes as cursing all day and whose death was seen as a blessing?
4. What does the author of the Second Preface compare slaves to?
5. What is William Lloyd Garrison well-known for being?
This section contains 242 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)