|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Second Preface.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Phillips say he did while reading what Douglass had written?
2. What type of writing is the second preface?
(a) A poem.
(b) A letter.
(c) An essay.
(d) A short story.
3. Who does Phillips watch being dragged off to be lynched?
(a) Frederick Douglass.
(b) James McAlister.
(c) William Lloyd Garrison.
(d) Daniel O'Connell.
4. Approximately how many issues of his newspaper does Garrison publish?
(a) 500 issues.
(b) 15,000 issues.
(c) 1,800 issues.
(d) 100 issues.
5. What type of style does the First Preface take on?
(b) A religious sermon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Phillips compares the Mississippi Valley to a story in what publication?
2. What is the writer of the second preface famous for?
3. Whose offices and printing presses are destroyed in the Second Preface?
4. What do the white sails of the ships mentioned in the Second Preface symbolize?
5. What is one of the contrasting effects of slavery that Douglass suffers, according to Garrison?
This section contains 193 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)