|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Annabel get to watch Ben while she goes to her 2:30 appointment?
2. Why does Mrs. Schmauss think Annabel will turn to drugs in the near future?
3. What is Mrs. Schmauss' No. 2 rule?
4. What is the name of the takeout restaurant that Boris' mother usually gets food from?
5. When Annabel leaves, which direction are the baby sitter and Ben heading in?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Schmauss feel about Annabel, and why does she feel that way?
2. What are some of the negative qualities of Mrs. Schmauss?
3. Describe the physical qualities of Mrs. Schmauss.
4. Who are the girls crowded into the Andrews family living room in Chapter 10, and why are they there?
5. What description does Annabel give of Mr. Dilk?
6. What does Annabel think of Mrs. Betty Parsons and why does she feel that way?
7. Describe in detail Annabel and Ben's "pick-up lunch" in Chapter 7.
8. Describe the toy Ben makes in school and what is it made from.
9. What reason does Ben give for not wanting to go with Annabel to her 2:30 appointment?
10. Annabel calls two people "chauvinist pigs" in Chapter 8. Who are the people she says this to and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 11, Annabel explains everything that her mother goes through in the past day. Write an essay that discusses the following:
Part 1: How does Annabel's mother spends her day as Annabel? What are Ellen's motives? Why does she not let Annabel in on the secret earlier?
Part 2: What are the revelations that her mother makes to her? What changes does Ellen initiate for Annabel? How does Annabel react to the revelations and changes?
Part 3: Was Ellen right to make the choices she did? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
At one point in the novel, the children are in school and Annabel is alone. She wonders for the first time where her mother is. Write an essay that explains and explores Annabel's ideas and feelings as to where her mother might be. Where does Annabel think her mother has gone? What possibilities does Annabel explore for her mother's whereabouts? How does Annabel feel about the notions she comes up with, and why? What does this say about Annabel and her insight into her mother?
Essay Topic 3
It is a surprise for Annabel to learn that Ben has never liked Mrs. Schmauss because the housekeeper is partial to him while she exhibits apparent dislike of Annabel. Write an essay to explore the theme of sibling rivalry between Annabel and Ben. Be sure to include how Annabel feels about Ben at the beginning of the novel, how Annabel thinks Ben feels about her, and how Ben really feels about Annabel. How does she become aware of this? Does the concept of irony apply? Use examples from the novel to support your argument.
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)