|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In New York City, what did analysts credit with the precipitous drop in violent crime?
(a) After-school programs.
(b) Number cooking.
(c) Community development.
(d) Innovative policing.
2. How long does the Black Gangster Disciple Nation hold Venkatesh in the stairwell the first time he happens upon them?
(a) 24 hours.
(b) 2 hours.
(c) 8 hours.
(d) 15 hours.
3. In his introduction, what does Levitt say he wants to replace with honest assessment?
(a) Moral posturing.
(b) Social bias.
(d) Conventional wisdom.
4. The amount of money spent on every season's election campaigns is the same as the amount spent by Americans yearly on what?
5. What comedic Hollywood icon does Levitt quote regarding honesty in this chapter?
(a) W.C. Fields.
(b) Stan Laurel.
(c) Soupy Sales.
(d) Buster Keaton.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1960s and 1970s Chicago, what never seemed to happen to street gang members?
2. In what crime-ridden neighborhood did Venkatesh do his graduate research?
3. In 1920, how many black children out of 100 died in infancy?
4. Informational asymmetry indicates the use of information for what?
5. Which of the following is an action that Gyges undertakes in the story that ends Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Sudhir Venkatesh become acquainted with the Black Gangster Disciple Nation?
2. How did Stetson Kennedy use the information he compiled about the Ku Klux Klan?
3. How does terminology help real estate agents set a price for a house?
4. What does Paul Feldman learn about honesty from his bagel business?
5. How were predictions about violent crime in the Nineties incorrect?
6. What unorthodox theory do the authors offer regarding the drop in crime in the late 1990s?
7. According to the authors, what motivates everyone?
8. Why had Chicago public schools already been standardized testing for years before No Child Left Behind?
9. What argument do the authors make about experts?
10. What happens to the day-cares of Haifa, Israel when a late-pickup fee is introduced?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)