|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which former Supreme Court Justice do the authors quote at the end of the section on capital punishment?
(a) Warren Burger.
(b) Robert Renquist.
(c) Henry Blackmun.
(d) Thurgood Marshall.
2. What is the only television show to regularly appear on the top ten watched lists of both black and white viewers?
(a) CBS Evening News.
(b) The Cosby Show.
(c) Saturday Night Live.
(d) Monday Night Football.
3. What language is most strongly represented in the list of the top 20 white girl's names that signify high-education?
4. What does Levitt credit with the rise of distinctly black names in the twentieth century?
(a) The Black Power movement.
(b) The Voting Rights Act.
(c) The rise of hip hop.
(d) The northern migration.
5. Which group in the book has an organizational structure similar to McDonald's?
(a) The Chicago Public School System.
(b) The Sumo Wrestling League.
(c) The Black Gangster Disciple Nation.
(d) The Ku Klux Klan.
6. What final factor do the authors say affects the way a child develops?
(a) Peer pressure.
(d) Random fate.
7. Which of the following is not among the universities listed as names chosen by parents in California in the 1990s?
8. A Head Start teacher earns half as much annually as what?
(a) A timber cutter.
(b) A trash collector.
(c) A McDonald's server.
(d) A public school teacher.
9. What Eighties movie comedy was instrumental in the popularity of the name Madison?
(a) The Money Pit.
(d) St. Elmo's Fire.
10. What class range does the Early Childhood Longitudinal Study cover?
(a) Pre-K through third grade.
(b) First through eighth grade.
(c) Third grade through freshman year of high school.
(d) Kindergarten through fifth grade.
11. Which group generally tests highest?
(a) Urban students.
(b) Rural students.
(c) There is no data on this topic in the text.
(d) Suburban students.
12. How many names from the top ten most popular black boy's names from 1990 do not appear on the 2000 list?
13. In a per-hour study of likelihood of dying in a plane versus a car crash, how do they compare?
(a) You are more likely to die in a plane.
(b) You are more likely to die in a car.
(c) There is no way to figure this.
(d) You are just as likely to die in either a plane or car.
14. According to the authors, what must one balance to reach a new perspective?
(a) Skepticism and faith.
(b) Hope and fear.
(c) Intelligence and intuition.
(d) Ego and uncertainty.
15. Which group in the book was undone by the Superman radio show?
(a) The Sumo Wrestling League.
(b) The Chicago Public School system.
(c) The Ku Klux Klan.
(d) The Black Gangster Disciple Nation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the approximate ratio of abortions:murders in America as stated at the end of the chapter?
2. Why did pro-gun advocate John R. Lott create a female pseudonym?
3. What does the ECLS show about the black-white achievement gap for students just entering school?
4. According to the authors, what does Freakonomics thinking not traffic in?
5. Which ethnicity generally tests better than whites in the ECLS?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)