|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what satirist do the authors liken their own abortion-violent crime claim?
2. What does the ECLS show about the black-white achievement gap for students just entering school?
(a) It is larger than expected.
(b) It is slowly narrowing.
(c) It has not changed since 1964.
(d) It is nearly nonexistent.
3. A Head Start teacher earns half as much annually as what?
(a) A trash collector.
(b) A public school teacher.
(c) A timber cutter.
(d) A McDonald's server.
4. What two first names were place on identical resumes in the name study of this chapter?
(a) Scott and Andre.
(b) Jake and DeShawn.
(c) Connor and Dominique.
(d) Bradley and Terrell.
5. What ratio does a pro-life individual give to fetuses:newborns in terms of intrinsic worth?
(c) This person could not assign a value.
6. Who was the hypothetical white boy in the Chapter 5 comparison?
(a) Ted Kaczyniski.
(b) Ted Bundy.
(c) Timothy McVeigh.
(d) Jeffrey Dahmer.
7. Which of the following is not an action the authors regularly recommend in order to reach unexpected conclusions?
(a) Remain objective.
(b) Move to a major city.
(c) Ask many questions.
(d) Examine incentives.
8. How many American children per year would be saved if parents childproofed their pools?
9. Which name is charted in this section as having ten common variations?
10. What is the approximate ratio of abortions:murders in America as stated at the end of the chapter?
11. Who does Levitt point out has a nearly quadrupled likelihood of dying every year than a death row inmate has of being executed?
(a) A Black Gangster Disciple Nation soldier.
(b) A black child in 1960.
(c) An American serviceman in Iraq.
(d) A young man in Liberia.
12. Which of the following factors is revealed to have a correlative effect on a child's school performance?
(a) The child attended Head Start.
(b) The child's parents recently moved to a better neighborhood.
(c) The child has a low birth weight.
(d) The child frequently watches television.
13. Which former Supreme Court Justice do the authors quote at the end of the section on capital punishment?
(a) Thurgood Marshall.
(b) Henry Blackmun.
(c) Warren Burger.
(d) Robert Renquist.
14. Which of the following is not a commodity that exists as a low-income version of a more high-end item?
(a) Nylon stockings.
(b) The station wagon.
(c) The name Tiffany.
(d) Crack cocaine.
15. What service was offered in exchange for firearms in a California gun buyback?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the authors, what must one balance to reach a new perspective?
2. What does Levitt credit with the rise of distinctly black names in the twentieth century?
3. What is the number one white girl name that indicates low education in a parent?
4. On what religious holiday were the dictator of Romania and his wife executed?
5. What do the authors try to determine throughout FREAKONOMICS in order to understand people's motivations?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)