|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many bouts does a sumo wrestler have to win in order for his ranking to rise?
2. According to James Alan Fox in 1995, what is the minimum rise in violent crime to be expected in the next decade?
3. In 1920, how many black children out of 100 died in infancy?
(a) 13 of 100.
(b) 24 of 100.
(c) 45 of 100.
(d) 2 of 100.
4. How much did JT's revenue increase over the four year period chronicled in Booty's financial records?
(a) It remained mostly consistent.
(b) It doubled.
(c) It quadrupled.
(d) It tripled.
5. What percentage commission does a real estate broker generally take from a home sale?
6. When do 7-7 sumo wrestlers begin losing matches most often?
(a) When they are wrestling friends or mentors.
(b) When allegations of cheating are made.
(c) When they near the age of retirement.
(d) When a league official is present.
7. How do teachers most often cheat on standardized tests?
(a) They never administer the test.
(b) They erase wrong answers.
(c) They read the answers to the children.
(d) They allow children to have books out.
8. By how much did the homicide rate among young black males increase over the first five years of the crack boom?
(a) It doubled.
(b) It tripled.
(c) It increased by half.
(d) It quadrupled.
9. How long does the Black Gangster Disciple Nation hold Venkatesh in the stairwell the first time he happens upon them?
(a) 2 hours.
(b) 15 hours.
(c) 24 hours.
(d) 8 hours.
10. Which economist and philosopher does Levitt cite at the end of his introduction?
(a) Adam Smith.
(b) Karl Marx.
(c) Jeremy Bentham.
(d) John Stuart Mill.
11. How many homeless people did Mitch Snyder tell a college class die every second?
12. With what band did Sudhir Venkatesh tour as part of his sociological research?
(a) The Grateful Dead.
(b) Public Enemy.
(c) The Allman Brothers.
(d) Rage Against the Machine.
13. What is the average annual salary of a bottom-tier sumo wrestler?
14. What did the authors of FREAKONOMICS consider doing for six minutes?
(a) Writing a book on a single theme.
(b) Falsifying all their data.
(c) Giving up.
(d) Writing a novel.
15. What surprising fact about themselves do 7% of the men in the dating-site study reveal on their profiles?
(a) They are overweight.
(b) They are married.
(c) They are only interested in one race of mate.
(d) They are impotent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Supreme Court case involved Norma McCorvey as plaintiff?
2. In 1960s and 1970s Chicago, what never seemed to happen to street gang members?
3. In the media, what term is given to the new, more dangerous violent criminal in the 1990s?
4. Which of the following is not affected by the rank of a sumo wrestler?
5. In summation, what does Levitt claim was the source of the Klan's power in the twentieth century?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)