|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which economist and philosopher does Levitt cite at the end of his introduction?
(a) Adam Smith.
(b) John Stuart Mill.
(c) Karl Marx.
(d) Jeremy Bentham.
2. What percentage of people actually pays for Paul Feldman's wares?
3. How does Paul Feldman view humanity as a result of his business records?
(a) People become less honest after achieving success.
(b) People are deceptive and entitled.
(c) People never lie.
(d) People are basically honest.
4. In summation, what does Levitt claim was the source of the Klan's power in the twentieth century?
(b) Well-placed friends.
5. In New York City, what did analysts credit with the precipitous drop in violent crime?
(a) After-school programs.
(b) Community development.
(c) Number cooking.
(d) Innovative policing.
6. What comedic Hollywood icon does Levitt quote regarding honesty in this chapter?
(a) Soupy Sales.
(b) Stan Laurel.
(c) Buster Keaton.
(d) W.C. Fields.
7. Why did Oscar Danilo Blandon claim that he sold such extensive quantities of crack cocaine in the late 1970s?
(a) To fund the Nicaraguan Contras.
(b) To undermine community leadersin Los Angeles.
(c) To provide a safer cocaine product than free-base.
(d) To pay off his gambling debts.
8. Which of the following is not a public figure that the author mentions as a wealthy man purchasing public office?
(a) Ross Perot.
(b) Jon Corzine.
(c) Arnold Schwarzenegger.
(d) Mike Bloomberg.
9. At what preeminent university does Venkatesh meet Steven Levitt?
(b) University of Chicago.
(d) Northwestern University.
10. What portion of the full commission does the seller's real estate agent generally get to keep?
(a) All of it.
(b) One fourth.
(c) One third.
(d) One half.
11. Informational asymmetry indicates the use of information for what?
(a) Monetary profit.
(b) Bettering of a culture.
(c) Accumulation of power.
(d) Leveling of society.
12. What do the authors argue is the primary incentive for not soliciting a prostitute?
(a) The fear of going to jail.
(b) The fear of paying a large fine.
(c) The fear of public ridicule.
(d) The fear of losing one's family.
13. How long did JT run the Black Gangster Disciple Nation before being promoted to the Board of Directors?
14. In what crime-ridden neighborhood did Venkatesh do his graduate research?
(a) The South Bronx.
(b) East St. Louis.
(c) South Chicago.
(d) South Central Los Angeles.
15. In what year did the Chicago Public School system begin widespread standardized testing?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Stetson Kennedy's pseudonym at the Pittsburgh Courier?
2. Which realm of employment is not a turn-on to women on dating sites?
3. According to James Alan Fox in 1995, what is the minimum rise in violent crime to be expected in the next decade?
4. What surprising fact about themselves do 7% of the men in the dating-site study reveal on their profiles?
5. In 1920, how many black children out of 100 died in infancy?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)