|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Max compare Gwen to on Christmas Eve?
2. What does Max's father compare the old boarded up building to once he and Max get into it?
3. Why does Max's reading skills tutor think Max has never done well in school?
4. What does Grim say are told to "entertain"?
5. Why doesn't Max have to testify in court against his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Max finds himself trying to outrun his past and his present. Why are people afraid of Max? (Hint: there are two main reasons; one from his past and one from his present.) Discuss a reason from both the past and the present and explain fully why it makes people afraid of Max.
Essay Topic 2
Max is constantly speaking negatively about himself. In what ways are the things he says true? In what ways are the things that he says false? What does this say about Max's self-esteem?
Essay Topic 3
Family comes to mean more to Max by the end of the book given all that he has been through. Discuss what Max comes to learn about the importance of family. In what ways does Max find out family is important? What did Max think about family before the book ended? What events changed Max's mind about the importance of family?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)