|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Max's father claim Loretta is putting on Max when she is trying to help him escape?
2. What does Max say Mrs. Donelli is "admitting" about Kevin, by October?
3. During his last conversation with Loretta, in Chapter 25, what does Loretta tell Max is a drag?
4. When does Kevin tell Max that he will be coming home from the ICU?
5. What does Max's father use to tie over his mouth so that he cannot yell for help?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to force Max to believe that "spooky stuff" happens on all Friday the Thirteenths?
2. What does Max's father do to ensure that Max does not escape from the abandoned basement?
3. According to Max's father, what does Hell look like?
4. Describe the apartment that Max and his father hide out in.
5. How is Kevin dressed for the Christmas Eve dinner at Max's house?
6. What causes Max to pull out the empty book one year after Kevin's death?
7. How does Kevin define remembering?
8. What does Max do, on the hospital lawn, given that he is not able to go in and visit Kevin?
9. How does Grim justify the telling of "tales"?
10. What does Max's father claim is a "crime against humanity"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Max is constantly speaking negatively about himself. In what ways are the things he says true? In what ways are the things that he says false? What does this say about Max's self-esteem?
Essay Topic 2
The book is full of both internal and external conflicts. Chose an internal and external conflict for both Max and Kevin. Describe in detail the conflict and why it exists as a conflict for the character.
Essay Topic 3
Max finds himself trying to outrun his past and his present. Why are people afraid of Max? (Hint: there are two main reasons; one from his past and one from his present.) Discuss a reason from both the past and the present and explain fully why it makes people afraid of Max.
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)