|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Loretta claim that Max's father is a "genius for"?
2. What does Max admit to his father that makes him let go of Loretta?
3. What does Grim tell Max led him to realize that Max's father had him?
4. What does Max's father compare cops to in the beginning of Chapter 19?
5. Why does Max's reading skills tutor think Max has never done well in school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Max believe that Mrs. Donalli is finally getting used to him and Kevin?
2. In what way is Kevin's thirteenth birthday two birthdays in one?
3. What does Max's father say is the first thing that Max must do when talking to him in the old lady's apartment?
4. What happens that makes Max go crazy at the hospital?
5. What does Max do, on the hospital lawn, given that he is not able to go in and visit Kevin?
6. How does Kevin explain the act of remembering?
7. How does Max get his father to stop choking Loretta?
8. Why does Loretta come to the abandoned basement to rescue Max?
9. According to Max's father, what does Hell look like?
10. Why does Max's father believe that Grim and Gram thought he was not good enough for their daughter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Family comes to mean more to Max by the end of the book given all that he has been through. Discuss what Max comes to learn about the importance of family. In what ways does Max find out family is important? What did Max think about family before the book ended? What events changed Max's mind about the importance of family?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Max feared his father so much? Name, and discuss, two reasons why Max was afraid of his father. What is the fear? What is the fear based upon? Was the fear realistic? Why? Why not?
Essay Topic 3
Kevin gave Max an empty book right before he passed away. What was Kevin's plan for Max and the book? Why do you think Kevin gave the book to Max? How important do you think the book will be to Max in the future?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)