|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Max want to go when Kevin is at the doctor, after the kidnapping?
2. How many presents does Gram allow everyone to open on Christmas Eve?
3. What does Max's father use to tie over his mouth so that he cannot yell for help?
4. What does Max's father tell him that he cannot watch without crying?
5. Who, according to Mrs. Addison in Chapter 14, is requesting Max's presence?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Max do when Mrs.Donalli asks him a question in class?
2. Describe the apartment that Max and his father hide out in.
3. What do both Kevin and Max get each other for Christmas?
4. What causes Max to pull out the empty book one year after Kevin's death?
5. How does Kevin define remembering?
6. According to Max's father, what does Hell look like?
7. What does Max's father do to ensure that Max does not escape from the abandoned basement?
8. Why does Kevin think that his tracheotomy is cool?
9. How does Kevin explain the act of remembering?
10. How does Grim justify the telling of "tales"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Freak the Mighty (Max and Kevin) show courage throughout the book. Choose three circumstances where Freak the Mighty shows courage and explain why their actions were courageous.
Essay Topic 2
True friendship is a key theme to the book. Find three examples where true friendship are exampled and explain why the example speaks to true friendship.
Essay Topic 3
Max finds himself trying to outrun his past and his present. Why are people afraid of Max? (Hint: there are two main reasons; one from his past and one from his present.) Discuss a reason from both the past and the present and explain fully why it makes people afraid of Max.
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)