|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is pictured in the picture on the wall, the one with the eyes that follow "you" around?
2. What does Max take with him to the hospital to visit Kevin?
3. What does Loretta claim that Max's father is a "genius for"?
4. What does Max admit to his father that makes him let go of Loretta?
5. What does Max's father claim "those people did" to him, when he was telling Max about all the injustice he has faced?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Max's father do to ensure that Max does not escape from the abandoned basement?
2. What do both Kevin and Max get each other for Christmas?
3. Why does Kevin think that his tracheotomy is cool?
4. How does Kevin define remembering?
5. What does Max do when Mrs.Donalli asks him a question in class?
6. What does Max's father claim is a "crime against humanity"?
7. Why does Max believe that Mrs. Donalli is finally getting used to him and Kevin?
8. How does Grim justify the telling of "tales"?
9. Describe the apartment that Max and his father hide out in.
10. In what way is Kevin's thirteenth birthday two birthdays in one?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Max is constantly speaking negatively about himself. In what ways are the things he says true? In what ways are the things that he says false? What does this say about Max's self-esteem?
Essay Topic 2
Freak the Mighty (Max and Kevin) show courage throughout the book. Choose three circumstances where Freak the Mighty shows courage and explain why their actions were courageous.
Essay Topic 3
The book is full of both internal and external conflicts. Chose an internal and external conflict for both Max and Kevin. Describe in detail the conflict and why it exists as a conflict for the character.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)