|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Johnny Tremain mad and hateful, according to Max?
2. Where does Mrs. Donelli wait for Max to go before asking him questions that she would no longer ask him in class?
3. On Friday the Thirteenth, where does Max have to go from homeroom?
4. Once in the burned out basement, what does Max's father tie him to?
5. What, according to Grim, would his father write on a piece of paper and put into his stocking when he was a kid?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do both Kevin and Max get each other for Christmas?
2. Why does Kevin think that his tracheotomy is cool?
3. How does Kevin define remembering?
4. What does Grim say that his father gave him for Christmas?
5. Why does Max's father believe that Grim and Gram thought he was not good enough for their daughter?
6. According to Max's father, what does Hell look like?
7. Why does Loretta come to the abandoned basement to rescue Max?
8. What does Max's father claim is a "crime against humanity"?
9. What does Max's father do to ensure that Max does not escape from the abandoned basement?
10. What happens that makes Max go crazy at the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Freak the Mighty is a combination of both Max and Kevin. How does this combination make a whole person? (In what ways is Kevin disabled? Max? How does the combination of both make a "whole"?)
Essay Topic 2
Max finds himself trying to outrun his past and his present. Why are people afraid of Max? (Hint: there are two main reasons; one from his past and one from his present.) Discuss a reason from both the past and the present and explain fully why it makes people afraid of Max.
Essay Topic 3
Freak the Mighty (Max and Kevin) show courage throughout the book. Choose three circumstances where Freak the Mighty shows courage and explain why their actions were courageous.
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)