|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Max run into on the front lawn of the hospital?
2. What does Max admit to his father that makes him let go of Loretta?
3. What smell does Max first recognize when he enters "the other place" with his father?
4. Once in the "old bat's" apartment, how does Max's father tell him to start acting?
5. Why doesn't Max have to testify in court against his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Grim say that his father gave him for Christmas?
2. Why does Max believe that Mrs. Donalli is finally getting used to him and Kevin?
3. What does Max do when Mrs.Donalli asks him a question in class?
4. How does Kevin define remembering?
5. Why does Max's father believe that Grim and Gram thought he was not good enough for their daughter?
6. What do both Kevin and Max get each other for Christmas?
7. How does Kevin explain the act of remembering?
8. In what way is Kevin's thirteenth birthday two birthdays in one?
9. What causes Max to pull out the empty book one year after Kevin's death?
10. According to Max's father, what does Hell look like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Max finds himself trying to outrun his past and his present. Why are people afraid of Max? (Hint: there are two main reasons; one from his past and one from his present.) Discuss a reason from both the past and the present and explain fully why it makes people afraid of Max.
Essay Topic 2
Family comes to mean more to Max by the end of the book given all that he has been through. Discuss what Max comes to learn about the importance of family. In what ways does Max find out family is important? What did Max think about family before the book ended? What events changed Max's mind about the importance of family?
Essay Topic 3
True friendship is a key theme to the book. Find three examples where true friendship are exampled and explain why the example speaks to true friendship.
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)