|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, according to Grim, would his father write on a piece of paper and put into his stocking when he was a kid?
2. What is sitting empty on top of the "old bat's" television- in the apartment that Max's father takes him to hide out?
3. What does Max take with him to the hospital to visit Kevin?
4. What does Grim tell Max led him to realize that Max's father had him?
5. Where does Max want to go when Kevin is at the doctor, after the kidnapping?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Max do, on the hospital lawn, given that he is not able to go in and visit Kevin?
2. Why does Max believe that Mrs. Donalli is finally getting used to him and Kevin?
3. What does Max's father claim is a "crime against humanity"?
4. Why does Max's father believe that Grim and Gram thought he was not good enough for their daughter?
5. What does Max's father say is the first thing that Max must do when talking to him in the old lady's apartment?
6. How does Mr. Meehan explain Max's inability to do well in school?
7. What does Grim say that his father gave him for Christmas?
8. How does Kevin explain the act of remembering?
9. What causes Max to pull out the empty book one year after Kevin's death?
10. What happens that makes Max go crazy at the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kevin is fascinated by dragons, knights, and quests. How do you think his fascination with these things lengthened his life? (Think about the conversation between his doctor and Max at the end of the book.)
Essay Topic 2
Max seems to be a very good judge of character. Choose one of the subordinate characters (Loretta, Iggy, Ken Kane) and describe how Max's initial feelings about the character came to be true. Alternatively, Max ended up being wrong about two of the characters, why were his initial feelings about the character false?
Essay Topic 3
Kevin gave Max an empty book right before he passed away. What was Kevin's plan for Max and the book? Why do you think Kevin gave the book to Max? How important do you think the book will be to Max in the future?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)