|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mrs. Donelli wait for Max to go before asking him questions that she would no longer ask him in class?
2. On what day does Kevin go into the hospital after he has a seizure?
3. What does Kevin ask for during Christmas Eve dinner that makes Gram laugh so hard that she has a coughing fit?
4. What does Max do whenever Mrs. Donelli asks him a question in class?
5. What does Max's father claim is the reason he was not good enough for Max's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Grim say that his father gave him for Christmas?
2. How does Kevin define remembering?
3. What does Max do when Mrs.Donalli asks him a question in class?
4. What do both Kevin and Max get each other for Christmas?
5. Why does Kevin think that his tracheotomy is cool?
6. In what way is Kevin's thirteenth birthday two birthdays in one?
7. What causes Max to pull out the empty book one year after Kevin's death?
8. What happens to Kevin, at the end of Chapter 22, to send him to the hospital?
9. How does Kevin explain the act of remembering?
10. How does Grim justify the telling of "tales"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Family comes to mean more to Max by the end of the book given all that he has been through. Discuss what Max comes to learn about the importance of family. In what ways does Max find out family is important? What did Max think about family before the book ended? What events changed Max's mind about the importance of family?
Essay Topic 2
True friendship is a key theme to the book. Find three examples where true friendship are exampled and explain why the example speaks to true friendship.
Essay Topic 3
Kevin is fascinated by dragons, knights, and quests. How do you think his fascination with these things lengthened his life? (Think about the conversation between his doctor and Max at the end of the book.)
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)