|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On Friday the Thirteenth, where does Max have to go from homeroom?
2. How many presents does Gram allow everyone to open on Christmas Eve?
3. What does Max's father tell him that he cannot watch without crying?
4. What, according to Grim, would his father write on a piece of paper and put into his stocking when he was a kid?
5. What does Max's father claim is the reason he was not good enough for Max's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Max get his father to stop choking Loretta?
2. Why does Loretta come to the abandoned basement to rescue Max?
3. What happens that makes Max go crazy at the hospital?
4. How is Kevin dressed for the Christmas Eve dinner at Max's house?
5. How does Grim justify the telling of "tales"?
6. Why does Max believe that Mrs. Donalli is finally getting used to him and Kevin?
7. What does Grim say that his father gave him for Christmas?
8. What happens to force Max to believe that "spooky stuff" happens on all Friday the Thirteenths?
9. What causes Max to pull out the empty book one year after Kevin's death?
10. What do both Kevin and Max get each other for Christmas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Family comes to mean more to Max by the end of the book given all that he has been through. Discuss what Max comes to learn about the importance of family. In what ways does Max find out family is important? What did Max think about family before the book ended? What events changed Max's mind about the importance of family?
Essay Topic 2
It is not until Max meets, and befriends, Kevin that he comes to excel in school. Why did it take his friendship with Kevin to pull Max out of his educational "box"? What does Kevin do that helps Max intellectually?
Essay Topic 3
What character from the book do you identify with the most? Name the character and list the characteristics that you believe align with the type of person that you are.
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)