|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name, that Kevin called Max, does he consider weird?
2. What does Max compare Kevin's breathing to on his first visit to Max's room?
3. What word does Gwen use to describe how she feels about Max and Kevin being friends, according to the relayed message for Max?
4. What does Max notice about the toys laying around at the tenements?
5. What is Loretta wearing when she opens the door and finds Max and Kevin standing there?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Max like to "go into his head" and become a cloud?
2. Why does Gwen call Gram after she left with Kevin in a hurry?
3. How do both Loretta and Iggy describe Kevin and Max when they first see them?
4. Who has supposedly used Kevin's Boy Scout compass?
5. Why is Max confused by Kevin calling him "earthling"?
6. Why does Max think Grim never says his father's name?
7. What is Max and Kevin's plan to escape Tony D. at the Fourth of July celebration?
8. Describe Max's room.
9. What are the two reasons Max is afraid of Tony D. as he is running into the millpond?
10. Why does Tony D. approach Max and Kevin during the Fourth of July celebration?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Max feared his father so much? Name, and discuss, two reasons why Max was afraid of his father. What is the fear? What is the fear based upon? Was the fear realistic? Why? Why not?
Essay Topic 2
True friendship is a key theme to the book. Find three examples where true friendship are exampled and explain why the example speaks to true friendship.
Essay Topic 3
Max finds himself trying to outrun his past and his present. Why are people afraid of Max? (Hint: there are two main reasons; one from his past and one from his present.) Discuss a reason from both the past and the present and explain fully why it makes people afraid of Max.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)