|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Max think Freak had hidden in his leg braces when they were in school together?
2. What does Max describe as being in his stomach after he agrees to have dinner with Kevin and Gwen?
3. What does Max say that he has never had, but Grim had when he was younger, given the picture showing it?
4. What is Loretta wearing when she opens the door and finds Max and Kevin standing there?
5. What is Tony swinging at Max and Kevin when they run into the millpond?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Max describe Kevin's breathing when he climbs down the steps into Max's room?
2. Explain the details surrounding Max's second meeting with Freak.
3. What two things happen after Max "saves" Kevin from Tony D. and his gang? (These things have never happened to Max before.)
4. Why is Max confused by Kevin calling him "earthling"?
5. Why was Max called "Kicker" in daycare?
6. Describe the Tenements.
7. Why does Max think Grim never says his father's name?
8. When Max is watching Kevin jump at the tree in Chapter 3, what does he observe Kevin doing?
9. Who has supposedly used Kevin's Boy Scout compass?
10. Why does Max like to "go into his head" and become a cloud?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is not until Max meets, and befriends, Kevin that he comes to excel in school. Why did it take his friendship with Kevin to pull Max out of his educational "box"? What does Kevin do that helps Max intellectually?
Essay Topic 2
Max finds himself trying to outrun his past and his present. Why are people afraid of Max? (Hint: there are two main reasons; one from his past and one from his present.) Discuss a reason from both the past and the present and explain fully why it makes people afraid of Max.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the book, Max comes to find out about hope. Because of the "little fib" Kevin was told, he was able to live a life that was not burdened by the thought of death. What did Max learn about hope by the end of the book?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)